Opinions on James Casey from Rice?

Woods

Reaction score
IMO, Casey is a very intriguing prospect.

I don't see him as a typical in-line TE because he doesn't have the necessary size.

However, I'm wondering if he could play H-Back/FB?

He does have decent size to play that role, and I'd guess he could always put on another 10 lbs or so, if necessary.

I thought he could create multiple mis-matches against defenses for us.

We could go with 1 TE (Witten) and play him at FB, or split him wide at WR on occasion, or go with a 3 TE set and pass or run out of it.

I think he could offer a LOT more versatility than Cricket, for example.

From what I've read, he can block in space as well.

Also, he has no character issues and is serious about the game.

dmoore

Reaction score
I like him, but not really for Dallas. He's a weapon, but not one that is very needed or would get too many touches. I'd rather just get Bennett more involved in the offense. At FB, I think we should look for a big time lead blocker if we're going to bring somebody in.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I'm all for Casey he like Witten except he can run and pass the ball. This guy would be a great addition. We could cut anderson and curtis. Win freaking Win.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2698760 said:
I'm all for Casey he like Witten except he can run and pass the ball. This guy would be a great addition. We could cut anderson and curtis. Win freaking Win.

The guy is not a lead blocker and Curtis was never resigned. Hannah is our 3rd string TE now.

SDogo

Reaction score
dmoore;2698757 said:
I like him, but not really for Dallas. He's a weapon, but not one that is very needed or would get too many touches. I'd rather just get Bennett more involved in the offense. At FB, I think we should look for a big time lead blocker if we're going to bring somebody in.

my feelings exactly. Casey is going to go somewhere in the 2nd to early 3rd round and it's a waste of a pick that early for Dallas. Way to many other area's need looked at.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2698772 said:
my feelings exactly. Casey is going to go somewhere in the 2nd to early 3rd round and it's a waste of a pick that early for Dallas. Way to many other area's need looked at.

Honestly, I would rather have Casey than Rashad Johnson. Casey would actually compete for a starting position on offense (likely to win both FB & ST duties outright from Cricket IMO) and would be a ST demon.

Johnson is a good player, but where would he contribute? He will not beat out either Hamlin or Sensabaugh.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I like this guy alot, very explosive, a good athlete (4.48 shuttle, 7 3-cone), I think he could be spread out wide too

Woods

Reaction score
BAT;2703632 said:
Honestly, I would rather have Casey than Rashad Johnson. Casey would actually compete for a starting position on offense (likely to win both FB & ST duties outright from Cricket IMO) and would be a ST demon.

Johnson is a good player, but where would he contribute? He will not beat out either Hamlin or Sensabaugh.

That's what I was thinking about Casey as well.

He could possibly be a starter.

And another weapon on offense.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yeah but we have more pressing needs now, OG, possibly OT, backup young QB, linebacker, NT, safety or cornerback, fullback

i do agree however when you do pick and casey is there, take him, you take the best player on the board when its your turn to draft, just dont reach

but with Witten, and Bennett, and promising Hannah, dont see a need at TE

dmoore

Reaction score
I think the logic some of you are using is flawed. From what I've seen, Casey is going to be a 2-3rd round pick. He's not worth that high of a selection for the Dallas Cowboys. Sure, he could possibly start at FB/H-Back. How many touches do you think he'd get over a whole season, assuming he learns the offense quick and performs well? By my count, he'd be behind 3 RBs, 3 WRs (maybe 4), and 2 TEs on the totem pole for touches. Is the few touches he'd bring that much of an improvement over what we would get out of Cricket? Cricket has decent hands and is a fairly good lead blocker. He'll be a good pick for someone, but not us. You can make the argument that he'd allow us to do things with our offense that Cricket doesn't, but I don't think that holds much weight. No team is going to game plan for Casey when they have to worry about the rest of the guys we're lining up. They won't care if we split him out wide, they probably would be glad that they don't have to see Bennett. I have the feeling our offense is going to be a lot more vanilla than you Madden types would like. Or best chances for a successful season is behind the strength of our running game and using that to set up the intermediate passing game. Having Casey doesn't mean the offense will be improved.

Casey as a "starter" would not be more important to the team than a back-up safety. If one of our offensive weapons go down, we have 6 or 7 other guys that can step up and pick up the slack. If one of our starting safeties go down, it could cost of a ballgame or two.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Rashad Johnson would not start even if Hamlin or Sensabaugh go down. Let's be real.

Rashad Johson needs to get on a pro weight program, first and foremost, THEN learn to play either safety spot. He will not beat out Watkins, Battle, or even Courtney Brown. Not to mention, Scandrick is waiting in the wings, the "Star" position is off the table right now, but you can bet, Scandrick will be in the thick of things if either Hamlin or Sensabaugh can't play.

Casey on the other hand, is immediately "Romo friendly". He is tough, hard working, competitive and will do anything to the best of his ability. Cricket is no pro FB, not a starter at least. And Casey will be as good, if not better than Cricket at ST (Cricket's real value on this team). Casey is not just some unathletic overachiever, he is a true playmaker, plain and simple, you cannot have enough of those. I have no doubt Casey, with his sure hands & RAC ability, becomes a Romo favorite.

SDogo

Reaction score
James Casey - TE - Player

Rice TE James Casey was timed at 4.80 and 4.79 in the forty-yard dash at his Pro Day on Thursday.

Casey actually lost time from his 4.71, 4.72 at the Combine, but he should still go in the first three rounds. Wide receiver scoring machine Jarett Dillard clocked in at 4.50 and 4.53 with a 40.5 inch vertical jump and a 10-foot, 11-inch broad jump.
Mar. 26 - 5:31 p.m. ET
Source: NFL.com

Seriously spread out wide? TE?

Come on, the guy is an average athlete with good hands. Not big enough to play FB, not fast enough to get seperation from LB's in the NFL.

He may go in the first three rounds but it's not pick Dallas can afford.

SDogo

Reaction score
BAT;2705260 said:
Casey on the other hand, is immediately "Romo friendly". He is tough, hard working, competitive and will do anything to the best of his ability. Cricket is no pro FB, not a starter at least. And Casey will be as good, if not better than Cricket at ST (Cricket's real value on this team). Casey is not just some unathletic overachiever, he is a true playmaker, plain and simple, you cannot have enough of those. I have no doubt Casey, with his sure hands & RAC ability, becomes a Romo favorite.

You have a serious over inflated vision of this kids play making ability. He may of been ok at Rice but his size, speed and skill set translate to a LIMITED roll player and special teams fixture in the NFL. Not some one Dallas needs to take in the first 3 rounds.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2705291 said:
You have a serious over inflated vision of this kids play making ability. He may of been ok at Rice but his size, speed and skill set translate to a LIMITED roll player and special teams fixture in the NFL. Not some one Dallas needs to take in the first 3 rounds.

I have an inflated "vision" of his playmaking ability? How many college TEs almost led the nation in catches? He was second. How many have double digit TDs AND over a 1,000 yards?

How many have scored multiple TDs running AND passing?

Its not me who is projecting him to go in the first 3 rounds. Its the experts. You may not comprehend his worth or recognize his talent, but I have nothing to do with his production, character, potential and especially his projection to succeed in the pros. How many LIMITED role players are PROJECTED to go in the first 3 rounds???

dmoore

Reaction score
BAT;2705260 said:
Rashad Johnson would not start even if Hamlin or Sensabaugh go down. Let's be real.

Rashad Johson needs to get on a pro weight program, first and foremost, THEN learn to play either safety spot. He will not beat out Watkins, Battle, or even Courtney Brown. Not to mention, Scandrick is waiting in the wings, the "Star" position is off the table right now, but you can bet, Scandrick will be in the thick of things if either Hamlin or Sensabaugh can't play.

This thread isn't about Johnson. However, I'd rather have Dallas pick a safety they think highly of in the 2nd or 3rd round than waste a high pick on Casey. No knock on his ability, but he'd be a complete waste of a pick. We don't need him, and we're not even marginally better with him. Also, he's going to be 25 so I think his upside is limited. BPA is a good strategy to a point, but when the best player doesn't bring much value to your football team you go in another direction. If you don't like Cricket at FB, one can be found in the 7th or undrafted. Why use a 3rd, heck even a 4th or 5th, on a guy who won't touch the ball? Even looking 3 or 4 years out, he'll still be behind a bunch of guys. Safety depth >>>> "starting" FB/H-Back/weapon. At least for Dallas, that's the way things are.

dmoore

Reaction score
BAT;2705299 said:
Its not me who is projecting him to go in the first 3 rounds. Its the experts. You may not understand, but I have nothing to do with his production, character or his projection.

I have a strong feeling none of the *experts* would think he's worth a pick in the first 3 rounds for Dallas. That's what this message board is about. There's lots of players I like that have no chance of being Cowboys simply because they don't fit in with the direction this team is going to go in the draft.

SDogo

Reaction score
BAT;2705299 said:
I have an inflated "vision" of his playmaking ability? How many college TEs almost led the nation in catches? He was second. How many have double digit TDs AND over a 1,000 yards?

How many have scored multiple TDs running AND passing?

Its not me who is projecting him to go in the first 3 rounds. Its the experts. You may not comprehend his worth or recognize his talent, but I have nothing to do with his production, character, potential and especially his projection to succeed in the pros. How many LIMITED role players are PROJECTED to go in the first 3 rounds???

The TE's that did or were in the top 5, there are a dozen of them with in reach of the top spot, D2 TE's that put up better numbers and have better measurables not to mention 4 years younger.

Like I said, he may be a 2nd or 3rd round pick for some one but let that team have him that early. WAY to many depth issues on this team to be taking a 3rd TE/emergency QB (When you have 2 on the roster) or spot duty FB because he can't hold up playing it full time and we don't deploy a FB enough to justify it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
dmoore;2705300 said:
This thread isn't about Johnson. However, I'd rather have Dallas pick a safety they think highly of in the 2nd or 3rd round than waste a high pick on Casey. No knock on his ability, but he'd be a complete waste of a pick. We don't need him, and we're not even marginally better with him. Also, he's going to be 25 so I think his upside is limited. BPA is a good strategy to a point, but when the best player doesn't bring much value to your football team you go in another direction. If you don't like Cricket at FB, one can be found in the 7th or undrafted. Why use a 3rd, heck even a 4th or 5th, on a guy who won't touch the ball? Even looking 3 or 4 years out, he'll still be behind a bunch of guys. Safety depth >>>> "starting" FB/H-Back/weapon. At least for Dallas, that's the way things are.

I cannot fault the argument that as an older player, he will be close to 30 when he is peaking, nor do I fault the argument that the position does not have sufficient value/importance to rank a 3rd rounder or earlier. There are other FB/H-Backs I like, but are obviously less proven, less productive.

What I will argue, is if Casey is rated higher than any of the remaining safeties, it would be a foolish to reach for that position. Reaching for a need is what got Jerry and the Cowboys in trouble in the late 90's. Drafting backups as well. Jerry and Stephen have recognized this and now draft towards BPA and fit. Drafting playmakers who are also leader/high character guys would be the best "mistake" the Cowboys could make.

Owens is gone. Roy Williams is unproven. Witten & the RBs will surely be the target of opposing D's. It would be nice to have another weapon for Romo, who is also a clear upgrade to Deon Anderson, in every way.

It is the rare team who has a playmaker at EVERY offensive skill position. Who do you scheme against? That is a nice problem to bring against opposing teams next season.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2705306 said:
Like I said, he may be a 2nd or 3rd round pick for some one but let that team have him that early. WAY to many depth issues on this team to be taking a 3rd TE/emergency QB (When you have 2 on the roster) or spot duty FB because he can't hold up playing it full time and we don't deploy a FB enough to justify it.

Your philosophy is to protect your depth, mine isn't. I will always take the playmaker, regardless of position.

Playmakers do not just fall out of the sky. If he is there, I take him. Even if the Cowboys do not take him, I just hope they do not reach for a player, just b/c it is a position of need. Especially if the need is for depth. Both Jerry and Stephen have said that drafting backups with the first 3 picks is no longer a viable strategy. They now draft players in those first 3 rounds to push a starter, preferrably one who has shown a propensity for playmaking. I, for one, am glad.

SDogo

Reaction score
BAT;2705357 said:
Your philosophy is to protect your depth, mine isn't. I will always take the playmaker, regardless of position.

Playmakers do not just fall out of the sky. If he is there, I take him. Even if the Cowboys do not take him, I just hope they do not reach for a player, just b/c it is a position of need. Especially if the need is for depth. Both Jerry and Stephen have said that drafting backups with the first 3 picks is no longer a viable strategy. They now draft players in those first 3 rounds to push a starter, preferrably one who has shown a propensity for playmaking. I, for one, am glad.

Problem is there is not a starter on this team he could push and at his given position he would be pushing a 2nd string TE he could not beat.