Opinions on James Casey from Rice?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
dbair1967;2717174 said:
BAT;2717010 said:
Yeah, we drafted him there for two reasons. 1, we run alot of 2 TE sets and needed a solid #2, and 2, he was probably the highest rated player on the board when we took him. Adding another TE this early now makes no sense because they clearly have two outstanding ones already here.

It makes sense if they draft Casey to play FB/H-Back/Wildcat QB. No one is proposing bringing Casey in to displace Witten or Bennett.

They drafted him in the 2nd because he was a freight train a a lead blocker and showed the versaility to also catch the ball. Casey couldnt block out my sister, much less NFL defensive players.

He just doesnt have a position here...he'd be a total wasted pick.

Moose was NOT known as a freight train lead blocker in college, he was a running FB. His transition from being a runner to a lead blocker was easier b/c he was such a physical runner, EXACTLY what Casey is known for as well. Casey is not just a great receiver, he is a physical runner (as a RB and as a receiver after the catch).

And if Casey is such a wasted pick, why are the Cowboys even considering him? They surely know that he is projected to go in the 2nd-3rd round range. I think he falls to the 3rd, even 4th, myself.

Woods

Reaction score
BAT;2717355 said:
dbair1967;2717174 said:
Moose was NOT known as a freight train lead blocker in college, he was a running FB. His transition from being a runner to a lead blocker was easier b/c he was such a physical runner, EXACTLY what Casey is known for as well. Casey is not just a great receiver, he is a physical runner (as a RB and as a receiver after the catch).

And if Casey is such a wasted pick, why are the Cowboys even considering him? They surely know that he is projected to go in the 2nd-3rd round range. I think he falls to the 3rd, even 4th, myself.

BAT,

Clearly the Cowboys are interested in this guy. I doubt we take him in the 2nd, but it wouldn't shock me if we take this guy in the 3rd, or if he falls to the 4th.

And I don't see him as a replacement for Bennett or Witten. But rather an H-Back type who adds a different dimension to the team.

The main problem the Cowboys have is that they need 2 LBs (ILB and OLB), a DT, a Safety (or two), etc.

I think so much depends on who slips to Round 3. For example, if Sidbury is there at 69, I think the Cowboys would have a tough time passing him up. (Though I think Sidbury will be gone before 69.)

Then there are players like D Scott. Do the Cowboys view him as someone they take at 69, or more of a bottom of the 3rd type?

Anyway, I DO think the Cowboys consider Casey at 69 depending on who else is there.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
BAT;2717333 said:
Yes, I remember that '88-89 team, what of it? The team was bad and rebuilding, but there were greater needs and still took a FB in the 2nd. That is still a high pick, even today. The following year, even w/a 2nd round FB on the roster, Jimmy brought in Alonzo Highsmith. Gotta improve, always, even if it is at positions many fans do not think highly of.

And Moose didn't become a fixture at starter until 1990 I believe, he took a few seasons to transition from a running FB to a blocking one.

It was rebuilding with a head coach who had a run first philosophy, no talent, no OL.

These are two different teams with two different philosophies.

By the way Coleman was a RB, I'm not sure what he has to do with anything. We already had Agee as a FB when we drafted moose. When Coleman was brought in we just drafted Emmitt. We had no idea what we had at that time.

SDogo

Reaction score
BAT;2717355 said:
dbair1967;2717174 said:

You gotta make up your mind. One moment your saying he is a finesse guy who makes people miss and the next your talking about him like he is Earl Campbell.

AS far as the Cowboys being interested. Yes, they are doing their job. He is a player that could fall anywhere from the 2nd to 4th round. They need to look at him.

Do you think because they have not met with Aaron Curry they are not interested? You can't read every thing into what you hear. It gives us the fans some thing to talk about but at some point you need to put 2 and 2 together for yourself.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
NFLDS says Casey is Wes Welker meets Dallas Clark, says he needs to be an H-back or in the slot, not a TE because he's not that big

SDogo

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2717442 said:
NFLDS says Casey is Wes Welker meets Dallas Clark, says he needs to be an H-back or in the slot, not a TE because he's not that big

I think that's been established. He's not big enough to be a true TE, you have to keep off the interior line and out of traffic meaning either you split him out wide or spot duty at H-Back.

If you want a 4.6 guy split out wide that's on you but to me that leaves H-Back that don't require to block meaning you can get rid of Cricket that has been mentioned so that defeats that purpose so now your either going to carry only 2 TE's or make on of the three RB's inactive or I guess you can go think at WR, OL, LB, DB or DL..........

In some offenses this not an issue but were talking about the Cowboys.

Woods

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2717442 said:

Yes, that's what we are talking about, a H-back type role, slot role. He's too small to be a TE.

SDogo

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2717470 said:
just wanted to point out how awesome Casey is

point taken

ddh33

Reaction score
If he's a weapon that you think can help your team and your QB, and you think he's the best player on your board, you take the guy.

This is someone who can help your team. He can play a little TE, a little FB, a little WR, and even a little QB just for fun.

I can't really imagine him being the 51st player in this draft, but I'd be interested in the third.

SDogo

Reaction score
ddh33;2717870 said:
If he's a weapon that you think can help your team and your QB, and you think he's the best player on your board, you take the guy.

This is someone who can help your team. He can play a little TE, a little FB, a little WR, and even a little QB just for fun.

I can't really imagine him being the 51st player in this draft, but I'd be interested in the third.

Put me down for the fourth but I think he will go mid to late round 2.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2717437 said:
BAT;2717355 said:
You gotta make up your mind. One moment your saying he is a finesse guy who makes people miss and the next your talking about him like he is Earl Campbell.

AS far as the Cowboys being interested. Yes, they are doing their job. He is a player that could fall anywhere from the 2nd to 4th round. They need to look at him.

Do you think because they have not met with Aaron Curry they are not interested? You can't read every thing into what you hear. It gives us the fans some thing to talk about but at some point you need to put 2 and 2 together for yourself.

You must be thinking of someone else. I never said he was a finesse runner. He is 250 lbs, and he has always run through tacklers, not around them.

Maybe you are thinking about his WR-like catching ability.

In any event, I also like Marcus Mailei and Marquez Branson for the same roles. Neither are as good as Casey, but both bring elements that would upgrade the position (FB & ST) w/out overdrafting (7th-UDFA).

LOL. But good to see you come around, I would also take him if he fell to the 4th, amazing value there.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BAT;2717355 said:
dbair1967;2717174 said:

You need to go back and read scouting reports on him then, because he was highly regarded for his blocking skills.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2717470 said:
just wanted to point out how awesome Casey is

Just imagine how awesome an offense with Tebow at QB and Casey at every other position would be.

They would probably ban that team from the NFL. It would score 10 tds a week easily.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2718914 said:
Just imagine how awesome an offense with Tebow at QB and Casey at every other position would be.

They would probably ban that team from the NFL. It would score 10 tds a week easily.

:bow: then we could ressurerect the wish-bone

that would be bad ***

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Casey also sextuplets as a deep-snapper

I don't care how we do it, but I want him on the Cowboys

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2718986 said:
Casey also sextuplets as a deep-snapper

I don't care how we do it, but I want him on the Cowboys

I heard he could also be a 15 sack a yr guy as a spot OLB

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
dbair1967;2719072 said:
I heard he could also be a 15 sack a yr guy as a spot OLB

He started out as a LB at Rice! Fo real.