Opinions on James Casey from Rice?

Woods

Reaction score
BAT;2705316 said:
I cannot fault the argument that as an older player, he will be close to 30 when he is peaking, nor do I fault the argument that the position does not have sufficient value/importance to rank a 3rd rounder or earlier. There are other FB/H-Backs I like, but are obviously less proven, less productive.

What I will argue, is if Casey is rated higher than any of the remaining safeties, it would be a foolish to reach for that position. Reaching for a need is what got Jerry and the Cowboys in trouble in the late 90's. Drafting backups as well. Jerry and Stephen have recognized this and now draft towards BPA and fit. Drafting playmakers who are also leader/high character guys would be the best "mistake" the Cowboys could make.

Owens is gone. Roy Williams is unproven. Witten & the RBs will surely be the target of opposing D's. It would be nice to have another weapon for Romo, who is also a clear upgrade to Deon Anderson, in every way.

It is the rare team who has a playmaker at EVERY offensive skill position. Who do you scheme against? That is a nice problem to bring against opposing teams next season.

I tend to agree with you.

If an equivalent Safety or LB is there, take the greater need position. Or trade down, if possible.

Just don't reach for a Safety or LB because we need one.

As for impact from a FB position (or H-Back), Moose is a good example. He was a 2nd round pick, if I remember correctly, even though he played FB.

I think a guy like Carey in the 3rd could be very good value. And he could be a similar weapon as Cooley, IMO. Also, He could line up as FB, WR, TE, etc.

I'm not saying this is a need position. All I'm saying if he's your clear top guy in that round, and you can't trade down, take him rather than reaching.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Woods;2705619 said:
I tend to agree with you.

If an equivalent Safety or LB is there, take the greater need position. Or trade down, if possible.

Just don't reach for a Safety or LB because we need one.

As for impact from a FB position (or H-Back), Moose is a good example. He was a 2nd round pick, if I remember correctly, even though he played FB.

I think a guy like Carey in the 3rd could be very good value. And he could be a similar weapon as Cooley, IMO. Also, He could line up as FB, WR, TE, etc.

I'm not saying this is a need position. All I'm saying if he's your clear top guy in that round, and you can't trade down, take him rather than reaching.

When Moose was drafted we had no FB and a offense that utilized the position.

Again, I'm not sure where the idea that Casey has the agility or speed to line up at WR. His latest 40 time only proves that and even at Rice against top notch compition he struggled to get separation. He would get chewed up in the NFL by DB's and struggle against most LB's that he would see playing TE.

We do not need to reach for a S or LB but if we take Casey in the 2nd or 3rd we would be reaching for a position of non need. There will be several OL, WR, DL, DB's or even RB and QB's that will rank higher that I would rather take over Casey and RB is the only position we don't have a need for s starter or for depth.

My problem with Casey is he does not have a true position, does not have the athletic ability to set himself apart in the NFL, has only 2 years off college football expierence at a "small" school, has not faced the level of compition you like to see, is going to be 25 years old in September, played in a spread attack at Rice which inflated his numbers, he has almost zero expierence lining up at TE which is what he is projected to play in the NFL and he is not a great blocker.

I don't doubt the guys toughness or his high character and I don't doubt he could be a solid player in the right system for the right team. If this discussion was about what we though of Casey in the NFL I would say he is a high risk/reward project for some team that can afford to develop him although because of his age has limited upside but this discussion is about Casey and if he's the right pick for Dallas and it's just not a match that makes any sense.

Woods

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2705627 said:
When Moose was drafted we had no FB and a offense that utilized the position.

Again, I'm not sure where the idea that Casey has the agility or speed to line up at WR. His latest 40 time only proves that and even at Rice against top notch compition he struggled to get separation. He would get chewed up in the NFL by DB's and struggle against most LB's that he would see playing TE.

We do not need to reach for a S or LB but if we take Casey in the 2nd or 3rd we would be reaching for a position of non need. There will be several OL, WR, DL, DB's or even RB and QB's that will rank higher that I would rather take over Casey and RB is the only position we don't have a need for s starter or for depth.
My problem with Casey is he does not have a true position, does not have the athletic ability to set himself apart in the NFL, has only 2 years off college football expierence at a "small" school, has not faced the level of compition you like to see, is going to be 25 years old in September, played in a spread attack at Rice which inflated his numbers, he has almost zero expierence lining up at TE which is what he is projected to play in the NFL and he is not a great blocker.

I don't doubt the guys toughness or his high character and I don't doubt he could be a solid player in the right system for the right team. If this discussion was about what we though of Casey in the NFL I would say he is a high risk/reward project for some team that can afford to develop him although because of his age has limited upside but this discussion is about Casey and if he's the right pick for Dallas and it's just not a match that makes any sense.

OK, I better understand your opinion with what I've bolded in your quote.

If you think Casey is a reach in the 2nd or 3rd round, then I completely understand your position.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Casey throws in another wrinkle

Versatile back shows off arm to NFL scouts
By MEGAN MANFULL Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
March 26, 2009, 11:41PM
1 2

Warren Chronicle
NFL scouts time quarterback Chase Clement as he participates in a drill during Rice’s pro day at Rice Stadium on Thursday.

Share Print Email Del.icio.usDiggTechnoratiYahoo! BuzzFacebook
Resources

New UH coach B.J. Anderson, College football,fbc,chron.com,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,houston sports,houston,chronicle sports, Interview with B.J. Anderson, the Cougars' new offensive line coach. Video by Michael Murphy. Feb. 17, 2009.Shrine Game analysis with John Murphy, college,fbc,chron.com,houston,sports,chronicle sports,houston sports, Anna-Megan Raley reviews Saturday's East-West Shrine Game with nfldraftbible.com's John Murphy. Video by Adam Ariganello. January 17, 2009.UH's 70-point party, houston sports,sports,chronicle sports,chron.com,Uh,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,fbc,College football, UH quarterback Case Keenum discusses Saturday's 70-30 victory over No. 25 Tulsa at Robertson Stadium. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 16, 2008. Case Keenum photo: Smiley Pool, Chronicle.Keenum on bowl win, 2008 season, College football,houston,chron.com,chronicle sports,sports,houston sports,Uh,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS, UH quarterback Case Keenum talks about Wednesday's 34-28 victory over Air Force in the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl. Video by Michael Murphy on Jan. 1, 2009.Bloesch on beating Air Force, sports,Uh,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,houston,fbc,College football,chronicle sports, UH senor offensive guard Mike Bloesch discusses Wednesday's 34-28 victory over Air Force in the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl. Video by Michael Murphy on Jan. 1, 2009.Lubojasky on bowl win, houston sports,College football,houston,chronicle sports,fbc,chron.com,Uh,HOUSTON COUGARS,sports, UH senior linebacker Cody Lubojasky on Wednesday's victory over Air Force in the 2008 Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl. Video by Michael Murphy on Jan. 1, 2009.Hunt on bowl win, houston,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,Uh,fbc,chronicle sports,houston sports,College football, UH senior defensive end Phillip Hunt on the Cougars' 34-28 victory over Air Force in Wednesday's Armed Forces Bowl game in Fort Worth. Video by Michael Murphy on Jan. 1, 2009.Rice fans happy with win., houston,college,sports,chron.com,fbc,chronicle sports,houston sports, Some used big words some were speechless but the Owl's fans were happy with the blowout win on Tuesday at the Texas Bowl. Video by Adam Ariganello Dec. 30, 2008.Texas bowl interview with Rice President, college,chronicle sports,houston,chron.com,houston sports,sports,fbc, Anna-Megan Raley talks to Rice president David Leebron about the Owl's Texas Bowl win on Tuesday night. Video by Adam Ariganello Dec. 30, 2008.Rice wins Texas Bowl, college,fbc,sports,houston,chron.com,chronicle sports,houston sports, After winning the Texas Bowl, the Owls and coach David Bailiff talk about their place in Rice football history. Video by Adam Ariganello. Dec. 30, 2008.Army recruits at the Texas Bowl, houston,college,fbc,sports,chronicle sports,chron.com,houston sports, Beaumont company brought some of their recruits to the game Tuesday as a reward for their future service. Video by Adam Ariganello Dec. 30, 2008.Anna Megan gives you the bird, fbc,houston,sports,chron.com,Texas Bowl,college,houston sports,chronicle sports, A halftime chat with the Rice mascot. Video by Adam Ariganello Dec. 30, 2008.Texas Bowl Halftime report, fbc,college,chronicle sports,houston sports,houston,sports,chron.com, Anna-Megan Raley catches up with Rice head coach David Bailiff at halftime. Video by Adam Ariganello. Dec. 30, 2008.Bloesch on Armed Forces Bowl, College football,sports,fbc,chron.com,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,chronicle sports,Uh,houston sports, Interview with UH senior offensive guard Mike Bloesch, who discusses Wednesday's Armed Forces Bowl game against Air Force. Video by Michael Murphy. Dec. 30, 2008.WMU sidelines at the Texas Bowl, sports,houston sports,chron.com,fbc,college,chronicle sports,houston, The WMU band and cheerleaders talk about performing at Reliant Stadium. Video by Adam Ariganello Dec. 30, 2008Rice sidelines at the Texas Bowl, houston sports,houston,sports,fbc,chron.com,chronicle sports,college, Check out what these Rice supporters think of their school competing in the Texas Bowl. Video by Adam Ariganello Dec. 30, 2008.Texas Bowl: Pregame with Rice, rice,Texas Bowl,Reliant Stadium,BCS,Conference USA,fbc,houston,owls,houston sports,Western Michigan,chronicle sports,College football,sports, The Rice fans discuss the prospects for the first bowl win since the Eisenhower administration. Video by Adam Ariganello. Dec. 30, 2008.Texas Bowl: Pregame with WMU, Conference USA,BCS,fbc,owls,houston sports,Western Michigan,Reliant Stadium,rice,Texas Bowl,houston,chronicle sports,College football,sports, The Broncos get ready for kickoff. Video by Adam Ariganello. Dec. 30, 2008Talking Fiesta Bowl with James Laurinaitis, chronicle sports,houston,UT,fbc,Texas Longhorns,chron.com,houston sports,College football,sports, Ohio State All-American linebacker James Laurinaitis discusses facing the Longhorns for the third time in four years in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. Video by Joseph Duarte. Dec. 10, 2008.Shaking it with Jake Ebner, chronicle sports,chron.com,College football,HOUSTON COUGARS,sports,houston,houston sports,Uh,fbc, Interview with UH senior Jake Ebner, who has played several positions during his career and was an academic star, carrying a 3.85 GPA. Video by Michael Murphy. Dec. 29, 2008.Coleman on Iowa State loss, chron.com,fbc,sports,Uh,chronicle sports,houston,houston sports,College football,HOUSTON COUGARS, UH guard Aubrey Coleman discusses Sunday's 71-67 loss to Iowa State. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 28, 2008.Sumlin on Saturday's practice, College football,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,chronicle sports,houston,houston sports,chron.com,Uh,sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses Saturday's practice as the Cougars prepare for the Dec. 31 Armed Forces Bowl game against Air Force. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 27, 2008.Sumlin on UH practice, sports,chron.com,Uh,fbc,houston,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston sports,College football,chronicle sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin on Friday's practice session in preparation for the Dec. 31 Armed Forces Bowl game against Air Force. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 26, 2008.Texas Bowl: Meet Western Michigan, College football,fbc,chronicle sports,owls,BCS,sports,Texas Bowl,Reliant Stadium,rice,houston sports,Western Michigan,houston,Conference USA, The Broncos hit Houston in advance of Tuesday's Texas Bowl with Rice. Video by Adam Ariganello. Dec. 26, 2008.Sumlin on Armed Forces Bowl, fbc,sports,chron.com,College football,Uh,houston sports,chronicle sports,houston,HOUSTON COUGARS, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses the Cougars' Dec. 31 game against Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth. Video by Michael Murphy. Dec. 24, 2008.Keenum on Armed Forces Bowl, houston sports,Uh,chron.com,College football,sports,houston,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,chronicle sports, UH quarterback Case Keenum discusses the season, his statistics and the Dec. 31 Armed Forces Bowl game. Video by Michael Murphy. Dec. 23, 2008.Kicking it with Chase Turner, chronicle sports,houston sports,sports,houston,chron.com,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,College football, UH punter Chase Turner discusses the season and the upcoming Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl game against Air Force. Video by Michael Murphy. Dec. 22, 2008.Hafner on Cougars' season, fbc,sports,College football,houston,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston sports,chron.com,Uh,chronicle sports, Interview with UH senior tight end Mark Hafner, who is preparing for next week's Armed Forces Bowl game against Air Force in Fort Worth. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 21, 2008.Maggard on Armed Forces Bowl, houston,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,College football,fbc,chronicle sports,sports,houston sports,Uh, UH athletics director Dave Maggard discusses the Cougars bid to play Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl, which will be played Dec. 31 in Fort Worth. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 7, 2008.Sumlin on bowl bid, Pt. II, Uh,houston sports,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,College football,sports,fbc,chron.com,houston, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses the Cougars' Armed Forces Bowl game against Air Force, which will be played Dec. 31 in Fort Worth. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 7, 2008.Sumlin on UH's bowl bid, Pt. I, sports,Uh,fbc,chron.com,houston sports,chronicle sports,College football,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses the Cougars' berth in the Armed Forces Bowl, which will be played Dec. 31 in Fort Worth. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 7, 2008.Fontenette on Rice loss, houston,Uh,sports,fbc,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,chronicle sports,College football, UH senior safety Kenneth Fontenette on Saturday's 56-42 loss to Rice in the annual Bayou Bucket rivalry. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 1, 2008.Castile on loss to Rice, fbc,houston sports,chronicle sports,sports,Uh,College football,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,houston, UH sophomore wide receiver L.J. Castile, who had 144 receiving yards and three TDs, discusses Saturday's 56-42 loss to Rice in the annual Bayou Bucket rivalry. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 1, 2008.Sumlin on loss to Rice, sports,Uh,College football,houston sports,chron.com,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,chronicle sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses Saturday's 56-42 loss to Rice in the annual Bayou Bucket game. Video by Michael Murphy on Dec. 1, 2008.Bayou Bucket analysis with the beat writers, houston,College football,Uh,chronicle sports,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,sports,houston sports,chron.com, Michael Murphy and Moisekapenda Bower break down the Bayou Bucket and the repercussions of the Rice victory. Video by Chris Elliott November 29, 2008.UH's QB on Bayou Bucket, fbc,Uh,chronicle sports,houston,sports,College football,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,houston sports, Case Keenum, who threw for 494 yards in Saturday's 56-42 loss to Rice, talks about looking forward to UH's bowl. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 29, 2008.Rice seniors take home Bayou Bucket, HOUSTON COUGARS,chronicle sports,chron.com,Uh,houston,houston sports,fbc,sports,College football, Chase Clement and Casey James demolish the Cougars' secondary to give Rice its first Bayou Bucket in four years. Video by Chris Elliott. November 29, 2008.Sumlin previews Rice, fbc,houston,chron.com,Uh,sports,chronicle sports,College football,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin breaks down Saturday's Bayou Bucket game against Rice. A win would give the Cougars the C-USA West Division title. Video by Michael Murphy. Nov. 28, 2008.Talking Bayou Bucket with Sumlin, chron.com,chronicle sports,Kevin Sumlin,colleg,sports,houston,Uh,houston sports,rice,fbc, Anna-Megan Raley talks with UH head football coach Kevin Sumlin about Saturday's showdown with Rice at the Bayou Bucket Luncheon. Video by Adam Ariganello. Nov. 26, 2008.Talking Bayou Bucket with Baliff, houston,sports,fbc,rice,chronicle sports,houston sports,Bayou Bucket,David Baliff,chron.com,college, Anna-Megan Raley talks with Rice head football coach David Bailiff about Saturday's showdown with UH at the Bayou Bucket Luncheon. Video by Adam Ariganello. Nov. 26, 2008.Sumlin on Cougar comebacks, HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,chronicle sports,Uh,chron.com,College football,sports,houston sports,houston, UH coach Kevin Sumlin on the Cougars' ability to come back and overcome sluggish starts. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 27, 2008.Sumlin on the Bayou Bucket, houston sports,fbc,chron.com,Uh,houston,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,sports,College football, UH coach Kevin Sumlin speaking at Wednesday's Bayou Bucket luncheon. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 26, 2008.Yeoman on the Bayou Bucket, College football,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,fbc,sports,Uh,chronicle sports,houston,houston sports, Former UH coach Bill Yeoman on Saturday's Bayou Bucket game against Rice. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 26, 2008.Miller time, chronicle sports,chron.com,houston,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,houston sports,fbc,College football, Interview with UH senior safety Ernest Miller, who discusses Saturday's Bayou Bucket game with Rice. Video by Michael Murphy. Nov. 25, 2008.Colt McCoy on Aggies, BCS, Aggies,sports,chronicle sports,Longhorns,houston sports,houston,fbc,chron.com, Texas Longhorns quarterback Colt McCoy discusses the Thanksgiving meeting with rival Texas A&M and the Bowl Championship Series. Video by Joseph Duarte. Nov. 24, 2008.Sumlin on the Cougars, Pt. II, HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,College football,chronicle sports,sports,chron.com,houston,houston sports,Uh, UH coach Kevin Sumlin on last weekend's game against UTEP and this Saturday's Bayou Bucket game against Rice. Video by Michael Murphy. Nov. 24, 2008.Sumlin on the Cougars, fbc,sports,chron.com,College football,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,Uh,chronicle sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin on last Saturday's victory over UTEP and the upcoming game with Rice. Video by Michael Murphy. Nov. 24, 2008.Another big win for Cougars, Uh,houston sports,fbc,College football,houston,chron.com,sports,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS, UH quarterback Case Keenum, who rallied the Cougars to a 42-37 win over UTEP Saturday at Robertson Stadium. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 22, 2008. (Photo: Smiley Pool, Chronicle.)UH's Beall on big game, sports,houston sports,Uh,College football,houston,chron.com,fbc,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS, UH freshman running back Bryce Beall on his big game in Saturday's 42-37 come-from-behind victory over UTEP. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 23, 2008.Fontenette breaks down UTEP win, HOUSTON COUGARS,College football,houston sports,sports,chron.com,fbc,Uh,houston,chronicle sports, UH senior safety Kenneth Fontenette discusses Saturday's 42-37 Conference USA West Division victory over UTEP. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 23, 2008. Hunt on UTEP win, chronicle sports,houston,chron.com,Uh,College football,fbc,houston sports,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS, UH senior defensive end Phillip Hunt on Saturday's 42-37 victory over UTEP at Robertson Stadium. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 23, 2008.SeaBass on Senior Day, HOUSTON COUGARS,houston sports,chron.com,fbc,chronicle sports,houston,sports,College football,Uh, UH senior offensive tackle Sebastian "SeaBass" Vollmer, who discusses Saturday's game against UTEP, the last regular-season home game of his career. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 21, 2008.Sumlin previews UTEP, chronicle sports,fbc,chron.com,sports,College football,Uh,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,houston sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin looks ahead to Saturday's home game against UTEP, a key C-USA West Division contest. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 20, 2008. Tate Stewart on UTEP, houston sports,Uh,chronicle sports,houston,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,College football,chron.com,sports, Interview with UH senior defensive end Tate Stewart, who discusses this Saturday's game against UTEP, the last regular-season home game of his career. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 19, 2008.Keenum in the spotlight, fbc,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,College football,Uh,houston,houston sports,sports, UH quarterback Case Keenum on being named National Offensive Player of the Week by the Walter Camp Foundation after his 402-yard, 6-TD game against Tulsa. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 17, 2008.UH's interception specialist, chron.com,sports,fbc,Uh,College football,HOUSTON COUGARS,chronicle sports,houston,houston sports, Postgame interview with UH cornerback Loyce Means, who had three interceptions in Saturday's 70-30 victory over Tulsa. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 16, 2008.UH's three-touchdown wonder, houston sports,houston,chron.com,College football,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,sports,chronicle sports, Postgame interview with UH wide receiver Tyron Carrier, who scored three touchdowns in Saturday's 70-30 victory over No. 25 Tulsa. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 16, 2008.Sumlin previews Tulsa, chronicle sports,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston sports,College football,sports,houston,Uh,chron.com, UH coach Kevin Sumlin on Saturday's game against No. 25 Tulsa at Robertson Stadium. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 14, 2008.UH's Case Keenum on Tulsa, HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,chronicle sports,houston,College football,houston sports,sports,chron.com,fbc, UH quarterback Case Keenum discusses Saturday's game against No. 25 Tulsa. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 13, 2008.Bryce Beall: record-setter (Pt. I), chron.com,chronicle sports,Uh,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,fbc,houston sports,College football, First half of an interview with UH running back Bryce Beall, who has set several school freshman rushing records this season. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 12, 2008.Bryce Beall: record-setter (Pt. II), chronicle sports,Uh,College football,fbc,chron.com,HOUSTON COUGARS,sports,houston sports,houston, Second half of an interview with UH running back Bryce Beall, who has set several school freshman rushing records. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 12, 2008.Patrick Edwards, Pt. II, fbc,chronicle sports,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,chron.com,houston sports,College football,houston, Patrick Edwards meets with the media to discuss his future plans after suffering a broken right leg in the Cougars' Oct. 28 game at Marshall. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 11, 2008.Patrick Edwards on his injury, Pt. I, HOUSTON COUGARS,sports,chronicle sports,Uh,houston,College football,houston sports,chron.com,fbc, Interview with UH wide receiver Patrick Edwards on his progress after suffering a compound fracture of his right leg at Marshall two weeks ago. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 11, 2008.Tate Stewart on Tulane game, fbc,sports,chron.com,Uh,houston,College football,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chronicle sports, Interview with UH defensive end Tate Stewart after Saturday's 42-14 homecoming victory over Tulane. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 9, 2008.Keenum on Tulane game, chron.com,HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,chronicle sports,Uh,College football,houston sports,sports,houston, Postgame interview with UH quarterback Case Keenum, who passed for 384 yards and 4 TDs in Saturday's win over Tulane. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 9, 2008.Bryce Beall: Record-setter, HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,College football,Uh,houston sports,chronicle sports,fbc,chron.com,sports, Postgame interview with UH running back Bryce Beall, who had a school-freshman-record 176 rushing yards Saturday against Tulane. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 9, 2008.Sumlin previews Tulane, houston sports,houston,College football,chronicle sports,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,chron.com,Uh, UH coach Kevin Sumlin looks ahead to Saturday's homecoming game against Tulane at Robertson Stadium. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 6, 2008.Sumlin on personnel issues facing the Cougars, houston,College football,Uh,sports,houston sports,chron.com,HOUSTON COUGARS,chronicle sports,fbc, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses the personnel issues he's dealing with in the wake of several key injuries. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 5, 2008.Sumlin reflects on Marshall, fbc,Uh,houston,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston sports,chron.com,College football,chronicle sports,sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin wraps up last Tuesday's loss at Marshall. Video by Michael Murphy on Nov. 4, 2008.Sumlin previews Marshall, chronicle sports,houston sports,sports,houston,HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,chron.com,Uh,College football, UH coach Kevin Sumlin previews Tuesday's nationally televised football game at Marshall. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 26, 2008.Sumlin assesses the Cougars, fbc,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,College football,houston sports,houston,sports,Uh, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses the state of football team heading into Tuesday's game at Marshall. Video by Michael Murphy. October 25, 2008.UH's Sumlin: We need leaders, chronicle sports,College football,Uh,chron.com,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,sports,houston, UH coach Kevin Sumlin says he challenged his seniors to play better before last Saturday's game at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 24, 2008.O-Line sticks together at UH, chron.com,sports,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,College football,Uh,chronicle sports,houston,fbc, UH senior offensive guard Michael Bloesch talks about the offensive line holding things together despite a rash of injuries. Video by Michael Murphy. Oct. 23, 2008.Sumlin discusses injuries, houston sports,College football,fbc,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,chronicle sports,Uh,houston, Interview with UH coach Kevin Sumlin, who discusses the Cougars injury situation. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 21, 2008.Heading up SMU, sports,fbc,houston,HOUSTON COUGARS,College football,Uh,chron.com,houston sports,chronicle sports, Interview with UH cornerback Brandon "Head" Brinkley after Saturday's 44-38 victory at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 20, 2008.Post-SMU with P-Hunt, sports,houston sports,College football,chron.com,chronicle sports,Uh,houston,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS, Interview with UH senior defensive end Phillip Hunt after Saturday's 44-38 victory at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 20, 2008.Sumlin's SMU postgame, College football,houston,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,Uh,sports,chron.com,houston sports, Interview with UH coach Kevin Sumlin following Saturday's 44-38 victory at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 20, 2008.Keenum SMU postgame, houston,chronicle sports,College football,houston sports,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chron.com,fbc,Uh, Interview with UH quarterback Case Keenum, who discusses Saturday's 44-38 comeback victory at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 19, 2008.Carrier SMU postgame, Uh,College football,houston sports,sports,chronicle sports,chron.com,HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,houston, Interview with UH wide receiver Tyron Carrier, who caught the game-winning touchdown pass with 24 seconds to play in Saturday's 44-38 victory at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 19, 2008.Sumlin previews SMU, sports,Uh,houston,chronicle sports,chron.com,College football,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc, UH coach Kevin Sumlin analyzes Saturday's football game at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 17, 2008.Sumlin on the Cougars, College football,HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,chron.com,fbc,houston sports,chronicle sports,houston,sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses the Cougars and Saturday's game at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 16, 2008.Hunting SMU, chron.com,College football,fbc,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,houston sports,Uh,sports, Interview with UH senior defensive end and Fort Worth native Phillip Hunt, who is preparing for Saturday's game at SMU. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 15, 2008.Sumlin summarizes UAB win, chron.com,fbc,houston sports,Uh,houston,chronicle sports,College football,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS, UH coach Kevin Sumlin reviews Saturday's 45-20 victory over UAB. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 14, 2008.Running with Beall, Uh,chron.com,fbc,houston,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,sports,College football,houston sports, Interview with UH freshman running back Bryce Beall, who has two straight games of 100-plus rushing yards. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 13, 2008.Keenum breaks down UAB win, Pt. II, Uh,fbc,sports,chron.com,chronicle sports,College football,houston,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS, Second half of the postgame interview with UH quarterback Case Keenum, who discusses the Cougars' 45-20 victory over UAB. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 11, 2008.Keenum breaks down UAB win, chronicle sports,Uh,sports,chron.com,HOUSTON COUGARS,College football,houston,houston sports,fbc, Postgame interview with UH quarterback Case Keenum, who discusses the Cougars' 45-20 victory over UAB. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 11, 2008.Sumlin sees UH 'grow up', chron.com,houston,Uh,chronicle sports,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,College football,fbc,houston sports, The coach talks about confidence in QB Case Keenum and how his players matured in the win over UAB. Video by Michael Murphy. Oct. 10, 2008.UH's Sumlin on halftime speech, houston sports,fbc,houston,College football,chronicle sports,Uh,sports,chron.com,Houston Coguars, UH coach Kevin Sumlin talks about the Cougars beating visiting UAB 45-20 Thursday night. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 10, 2008.Red River: Chasing Sam Bradford, Longhorns,fbc,chronicle sports,Red River Rivalry,houston sports,sports,chron.com,houston,Sooners, The UT players talk about getting a handle on Oklahoma's quarterback and dealing with its huge offensive linemen. Video by Joseph Duarte. Oct. 6, 2008.Red River: A look at Texas DBs, houston,Longhorns,houston sports,sports,fbc,chron.com,Sooners,chronicle sports, Texas defensive backs coach Duane Akina discusses the challenge for the Longhorns' young secondary against Oklahoma. Video by Joseph Duarte. Oct. 7, 2008.Sumlin looks at UAB vs. UH, houston,houston sports,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,fbc,sports,Uh,College football,chron.com, UH coach Kevin Sumlin provides a scouting report on UAB, the Cougars' opponent Thursday night at Robertson Stadium. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 8, 2008.Keenum on the offense, sports,chron.com,fbc,HOUSTON COUGARS,chronicle sports,College football,houston sports,houston,Uh, Interview with UH quarterback Case Keenum, who discusses the Cougars' offense and leading the nation in total offense. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 7, 2008.Sumlin press conference, Uh,chronicle sports,fbc,sports,chron.com,houston,colelge football,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston sports, UH coach Kevin Sumlin discusses the Cougars as they prepare for Thursday's home game against UAB. Video by Michael Murphy on Oct. 7, 2008.Longhorns anxious for shot at No. 1 Oklahoma, Longhorns,houston sports,Football,fbc,sports,houston,chron.com,Sooners,chronicle sports, Interview with Texas defensive end Roy Miller. Video by Joseph Duarte. Oct. 4, 2008.Next up for Longhorns: No. 1 Oklahoma, fbc,chronicle sports,Longhorns,houston,houston sports,chron.com,Sooners,sports, Interview with Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo on the upcoming game against top-ranked Oklahoma. Video by Joseph Duarte. Oct. 4, 2008.'Horns beat Colorado in Big 12 opener, houston,chron.com,Longhorns,fbc,sports,Big 12,chronicle sports,houston sports, Interview with Texas wide receiver Quan Cosby following the Longhorns' 38-14 win over Colorado. Video by Joseph Duarte. Oct. 4, 2008.East Carolina in three minutes, fbc,houston sports,College football,sports,houston,chronicle sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,chron.com, Video from UH's 41-24 victory at No. 23 East Carolina. Video by Michael Murphy on Sept. 29, 2008.Making his Case, chron.com,HOUSTON COUGARS,houston,houston sports,College football,chronicle sports,Uh,fbc,sports, Interview with UH quarterback Case Keenum, who discusses the Cougars' slow offensive starts. Video by Michael Murphy on Sept. 25, 2008.Two minutes with Lubo, fbc,sports,College football,houston sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,chronicle sports,chron.com,Uh,houston, Interview with UH senior linebacker Cody Lubojasky, who is back after having his streak of 41 straight starts snapped by a knee injury. Video by Michael Murphy on Sept. 23, 2008.10 Days in Three Minutes, houston,chronicle sports,fbc,College football,chron.com,sports,HOUSTON COUGARS,Uh,houston sports, Video blogumentary of the Houston Cougars Hurricane Ike-induced trip to Dallas and the following road game at Colorado State. Video by Michael Murphy on Sept. 23, 2008.
COLLEGE BLOGS
Zwerneman on the Aggies

Murphy on Cougars

Bower on the Owls

Turner on area colleges

Full college scoreboard

More on college football

TEAM COVERAGE
Houston Cougars

Rice Owls

Texas Longhorns

Texas A&M Aggies

RANKINGS
AP | USA Today Top 25 | BCS Rice football coach David Bailiff watched closely as James Casey threw passes during the team’s pro day Thursday.

With a total of 35 NFL scouts littering the field at Rice Stadium, Casey launched one pass after another toward his targets downfield. It was Casey’s idea to throw, showcasing yet another of his talents. And scouts kept a watchful eye, realizing just why Bailiff had hoped Casey would return to Rice for one more season and become the Owls’ starting quarterback.

“He threw the ball pretty well,” said C.O. Brocato, Tennessee Titans national coordinator of college scouting. “He threw the long ball down the road. That isn’t any problem.

“I thought he was just what he was. Runs good routes, catches the ball, nothing fancy. Just plays football. And that’s what I like — football players.”

It was the first time scouts were able to see Casey throw, and it was the highlight of a pro day in which 28 NFL teams sent scouts. Three other Owls — Jarett Dillard, Chase Clement and Brian Raines — also participated. UH will hold its pro day for NFL scouts today.

Casey, who is slated to be drafted as an H-back or tight end, was aggressive in his pro day — asking to throw some passes and even running the 40-yard dash again. He recorded a faster 40 time on some stopwatches than he had at the NFL scouting combine in February, and his strong arm and accuracy also interested those watching.

Afterward, Casey admitted it was difficult to walk away from Rice knowing he could have been the quarterback next season.

Age factors into decision
“I told the team what made the decision the hardest was that I would have liked to come back and play quarterback,” said Casey, who was a quarterback in high school. “ But my age (24) being a big deal and being married, I just thought it was best to come out now.”

Bailiff looks forward to seeing where Casey lands and just how his new team utilizes his many talents. The third-year coach would have liked him at quarterback, though. He has been impressed with Casey’s arm since he first saw him throw two years ago after a spring practice.

“I’d never seen anyone throw the football like he was throwing the football,” Bailiff said. “I mean, in my life and at NFL training camps, I’d never seen anything like it.”

That’s why Bailiff immediately started having Casey attend meetings with the quarterbacks, despite the fact Casey was practicing at defensive end at the time. Bailiff had Casey continue meeting with the quarterbacks every day last season in hopes of having him take over for Clement next season.

While Casey won’t get that opportunity at Rice , he does hope an NFL team takes a chance on him and possibly lets him throw the ball once in a while.

Second-round candidate
“I was really hoping to go out and show my versatility and be able to go out and do some throwing,” said Casey, who is projected to be a second-round draftee. “A lot of teams probably didn’t care for it, because they don’t run the wildcat stuff. But maybe there were some teams who were excited to see it, and maybe they envision being able to try me out at it and use me there.”

megan.manfull@chron.com

Woods

Reaction score
Second-round candidate
“I was really hoping to go out and show my versatility and be able to go out and do some throwing,” said Casey, who is projected to be a second-round draftee. “A lot of teams probably didn’t care for it, because they don’t run the wildcat stuff. But maybe there were some teams who were excited to see it, and maybe they envision being able to try me out at it and use me there.”

========================================

Another wildcat candidate? :)

He does seems like an excellent football player. Seems like he can do it all at various positions.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how he fares in the NFL.

SDogo

Reaction score
Woods;2705661 said:
OK, I better understand your opinion with what I've bolded in your quote.

If you think Casey is a reach in the 2nd or 3rd round, then I completely understand your position.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the opinion came that I felt we had to draft a S or LB. I kind of figured out what was going on after reading all the posts again.

Also don't get me wrong, if Casey is sitting there in the 4th I would hope Dallas would jump all over him. Unless some guys really started to slide that would be great value for Dallas.

Woods

Reaction score
Guys, I think Dallas really likes this guy . . . .

per Mosley

If you're trying to determine who the Cowboys will select at No. 51, I'd memorize the names on this list from Todd Archer. And the tight end from Rice, James Casey, is a guy the Cowboys' personnel department loves. It's just that the team's sort of stacked at that position right now.

RS12

Reaction score
Again Charean Williams said the three guys Jerry likes with wild cat possibilities are Pat White, McGee, and Casey all FWIW. I just hope if they take Casey early he does not turn into Eric Bjornsen the rerun. Another guy with no true position who was gonna be the next Novacek.

Woods

Reaction score
RS12;2715589 said:
Again Charean Williams said the three guys Jerry likes with wild cat possibilities are Pat White, McGee, and Casey all FWIW. I just hope if they take Casey early he does not turn into Eric Bjornsen the rerun. Another guy with no true position who was gonna be the next Novacek.

I'm increasingly thinking we will take either an OL (likely OC/OG) or LB in Round 2.

If Casey falls to Round 3, it wouldn't surprise me if the staff want Casey.

dmoore

Reaction score
Why would we take a guy just to play in the wildcat? Just because some teams run it doesn't mean everybody needs to. If it's that big a deal, but Crayton under center. Casey would be a wasted pick, even in round 3. Nothing against him, but we just have absolutely no need for his services.

SDogo

Reaction score
dmoore;2715737 said:
Why would we take a guy just to play in the wildcat? Just because some teams run it doesn't mean everybody needs to. If it's that big a deal, but Crayton under center. Casey would be a wasted pick, even in round 3. Nothing against him, but we just have absolutely no need for his services.

They wont.......

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Woods;2698727 said:
IMO, Casey is a very intriguing prospect.

I don't see him as a typical in-line TE because he doesn't have the necessary size.

However, I'm wondering if he could play H-Back/FB?

He does have decent size to play that role, and I'd guess he could always put on another 10 lbs or so, if necessary.

I thought he could create multiple mis-matches against defenses for us.

We could go with 1 TE (Witten) and play him at FB, or split him wide at WR on occasion, or go with a 3 TE set and pass or run out of it.

I think he could offer a LOT more versatility than Cricket, for example.

From what I've read, he can block in space as well.

Also, he has no character issues and is serious about the game.

Casey is a brilliant talent that the Cowboys have reportedly fallen in love with, but I don't see him as a good fit in Dallas...

The reason for that can be summed up in two words-- Jason Witten... Casey has Witten-esque abilities as a receiving TE, but the Boys already have one of those... it would be hard for them to properly utilize two of them...

Still, you have to love his versatility, he can line up in the slot, he can run the ball, he can even throw it... with his strong arm, he'd be a fascinating candidate to run the Wildcat offense...

Casey will be a second or third rounder, and as long as the Boys have Jason, I can't justify them going for a TE that early (and Casey will never offer much as a blocker, certainly not what Witten does)...

But for a team that doesn't have a Pro Bowl caliber TE, James would offer 75-80 catch a season potential...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2698771 said:
The guy is not a lead blocker and Curtis was never resigned. Hannah is our 3rd string TE now.

Which means the Boys could use either a lead blocking FB, or a pure blocking TE...

SDogo

Reaction score
silverbear;2716156 said:
Which means the Boys could use either a lead blocking FB, or a pure blocking TE...

I agree and Casey offers neither. Third TE yes but you won't get much as a blocker.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dmoore;2715737 said:

I agree 100%

Wasted pick here.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
silverbear;2716154 said:
Casey is a brilliant talent that the Cowboys have reportedly fallen in love with, but I don't see him as a good fit in Dallas...

The reason for that can be summed up in two words-- Jason Witten...

Casey will be a second or third rounder, and as long as the Boys have Jason, I can't justify them going for a TE that early (and Casey will never offer much as a blocker, certainly not what Witten does)...

And yet the Cowboys have drafted more than one that early (2nd rounders) with Witten on the roster. Not saying they will do so again, but there is certainly precedent. Besides, the poster was discussing a hybrid position H-Back/FB, not necessarily drafting Casey as a pure TE.

Cowboys also drafted Moose Johnston in the 2nd or 3rd if I recall.

SDogo

Reaction score
BAT;2717010 said:
And yet the Cowboys have drafted more than one that early (2nd rounders) with Witten on the roster. Not saying they will do so again, but there is certainly precedent. Besides, the poster was discussing a hybrid position H-Back/FB, not necessarily drafting Casey as a pure TE.

Yeah, the 2nd round of the 89' draft. You remember that team right? At the moment he was drafted he became one of our most talented ball carriers and athletic weapons.

Big difference between now and then.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BAT;2717010 said:

Yeah, we drafted him there for two reasons. 1, we run alot of 2 TE sets and needed a solid #2, and 2, he was probably the highest rated player on the board when we took him. Adding another TE this early now makes no sense because they clearly have two outstanding ones already here.

They drafted him in the 2nd because he was a freight train a a lead blocker and showed the versaility to also catch the ball. Casey couldnt block out my sister, much less NFL defensive players.

He just doesnt have a position here...he'd be a total wasted pick.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2717100 said:
Yeah, the 2nd round of the 89' draft. You remember that team right? At the moment he was drafted he became one of our most talented ball carriers and athletic weapons.

Big difference between now and then.

Yes, I remember that '88-89 team, what of it? The team was bad and rebuilding, but there were greater needs and still took a FB in the 2nd. That is still a high pick, even today. The following year, even w/a 2nd round FB on the roster, Jimmy brought in Alonzo Highsmith. Gotta improve, always, even if it is at positions many fans do not think highly of.

And Moose didn't become a fixture at starter until 1990 I believe, he took a few seasons to transition from a running FB to a blocking one.