Opinions on James Casey from Rice?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You know, I love McGee too. But let's be honest, the kid is raw as heck. He has little experience out of a pro set. Same as Casey. Yes, I think Casey can be just as good as the 3rd QB. He is bigger, better as a running QB, better out of the wildcat, and he has the stronger arm. McGee is tough & has great upside, but he has been injured a LOT. Casey is as healthy as a horse and his upside, never mind actual production, is HIGHER.

This kid has such character and work ethic that Jerry could ask him to mop the floors and he would do it. His intangibles are not just high, they are elite. Isn't that the Cowboys new philosophy? Just draft football players. :D

Macnalty;2740117 said:
I like Casey but still not sure if his unique skill set is a real asset to the cowboys, him seems like the swiss army knife of draft picks. I just hope he can master one particular position, and that is the rub, what is his best role? This may say more about what is available to us picking so late in the second round than the talent of Casey. I personally would rather have McGee for the 3rd QB, a real wide receiver(tall and fast if possible starting to come around on Varden), and good LB from this draft(no clear consensus). The CB/Safety/OL/DT positions are weak after the first 25 players according to the media snoops so I think those should be our reaches in the later rounds. I hope we still pick best player available at the time no matter the need.
This offense we have is still viable it is not an old glue horse waiting out its life, a nightmare to defense if we get on track and pure pleasure for a fan when hitting on all cylinders. This season is up to the coaching, we have all the talent needed, rookies will be hard pressed to penetrate the starting lineup in my opinion. I have my fingers crossed for Garrett and Wade and will give them the benefit until the writing starts appearing on the wall. Go Cowboys

Woods

Reaction score
BAT;2740459 said:
You know, I love McGee too. But let's be honest, the kid is raw as heck. He has little experience out of a pro set. Same as Casey. Yes, I think Casey can be just as good as the 3rd QB. He is bigger, better as a running QB, better out of the wildcat, and he has the stronger arm. McGee is tough & has great upside, but he has been injured a LOT. Casey is as healthy as a horse and his upside, never mind actual production, is HIGHER.

This kid has such character and work ethic that Jerry could ask him to mop the floors and he would do it. His intangibles are not just high, they are elite. Isn't that the Cowboys new philosophy? Just draft football players. :D

Tom C said we're looking to draft football players this weekend, and IMO, Casey is just that, a football player.

And for those who say how will we get the ball to so many options . . . . well, that's a great problem to have.

And as for all of our options, last season Felix was hurt, Barber was hurt, Hurd was out, Stanback was in and out, Austin was in and out, Witten was injured but played through the pain, R Williams had a bad foot and couldn't even cut, etc., etc.

I mean, players get injured. You've got to be really lucky to have all of the starters healthy for a full season.

You draft playmakers when you get the chance. Worst case, it puts you in a great position to make a trade down the line as well.

jchap2k

Reaction score
Post from DMN blog by Todd Archer

Checking out Rice's James Casey
2:37 PM Wed, Apr 22, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

As you know someone who used to occupy this space wrote yesterday the Cowboys will hold a private workout in Houston with Rice tight end James Casey, and I've been able to confirm such a meeting will take place.

As part of our draft series, I talked with Rice coach Dave Bailiff about his wide receiver, Jarrett Dillard, earlier this week. At the end of the conversation, I asked Bailiff about Casey and here's what he had to say:

"His upside, I'm not sure where his limit is. When we came in he was on the depth chart on defense. That first spring we only had four defensive linemen so we had to leave him there. I kept telling him after practices, 'I'm going to move you to offense,' but we couldn't do it then because we couldn't break a huddle without him. He would practice on defense and then after he would throw and catch as a receiver, meet with the quarterbacks. With about five games left in the '07 season he really started to make a difference offensively. He became somebody we relied on. Then this year if anyone did double Jarrett, we had James standing there in single coverage. They complemented each other well. He's the first here, last to leave type of guy. Very passionate about the game and not just playing it but his ability to influence the entire football team.

"James returned punts for us this year. That lets you know how athletic he is. I've never been around one like him. He was our backup deep snapper. He played quarterback, running back, tight end, wide out. Two years ago against Southern Miss all of our defensive ends were hurt and we asked him if he remembered any of the defense and he said, 'Give me a wrist band. I remember it all,' and he had a sack and a tackle for a loss. He was a triple major at Rice. Brilliant student."

Woods

Reaction score
jchap2k;2740848 said:
Post from DMN blog by Todd Archer

Checking out Rice's James Casey
2:37 PM Wed, Apr 22, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

As you know someone who used to occupy this space wrote yesterday the Cowboys will hold a private workout in Houston with Rice tight end James Casey, and I've been able to confirm such a meeting will take place.

As part of our draft series, I talked with Rice coach Dave Bailiff about his wide receiver, Jarrett Dillard, earlier this week. At the end of the conversation, I asked Bailiff about Casey and here's what he had to say:

"His upside, I'm not sure where his limit is. When we came in he was on the depth chart on defense. That first spring we only had four defensive linemen so we had to leave him there. I kept telling him after practices, 'I'm going to move you to offense,' but we couldn't do it then because we couldn't break a huddle without him. He would practice on defense and then after he would throw and catch as a receiver, meet with the quarterbacks. With about five games left in the '07 season he really started to make a difference offensively. He became somebody we relied on. Then this year if anyone did double Jarrett, we had James standing there in single coverage. They complemented each other well. He's the first here, last to leave type of guy. Very passionate about the game and not just playing it but his ability to influence the entire football team.

"James returned punts for us this year. That lets you know how athletic he is. I've never been around one like him. He was our backup deep snapper. He played quarterback, running back, tight end, wide out. Two years ago against Southern Miss all of our defensive ends were hurt and we asked him if he remembered any of the defense and he said, 'Give me a wrist band. I remember it all,' and he had a sack and a tackle for a loss. He was a triple major at Rice. Brilliant student."

I'm telling you, we need more players like this guy.

No more whiners.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Watching the clips in the other thread, he reminds me of a USFL back named Todd Fowler, whom Dallas got from the Houston Gamblers. He also resembles a young Todd Christensen, whom Dallas drafted and later ended up with the Raiders.

Woods

Reaction score
Chief;2740880 said:
Watching the clips in the other thread, he reminds me of a USFL back named Todd Fowler, whom Dallas got from the Houston Gamblers. He also resembles a young Todd Christensen, whom Dallas drafted and later ended up with the Raiders.

If we draft Casey and he has a career like Todd Christensen, we'll definitely be lucky!

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Woods;2740884 said:
If we draft Casey and he has a career like Todd Christensen, we'll definitely be lucky!

Yep, Dallas drafted Christensen as a tight end after he played fullback at BYU, but he didn't want to switch and became a headache. He finally moved to tight end with the Raiders and the rest is history.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chief;2740885 said:
Yep, Dallas drafted Christensen as a tight end after he played fullback at BYU, but he didn't want to switch and became a headache. He finally moved to tight end with the Raiders and the rest is history.

then I guess Casey isn't Christensen then:p:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2740887 said:
then I guess Casey isn't Christensen then:p:

You got that right. :)

Of course, I'm looking at him athletically.

The intangible stuff puts him in Tim Tebow's class.

Well, almost.

Woods

Reaction score
Chief;2740898 said:
You got that right. :)

Of course, I'm looking at him athletically.

The intangible stuff puts him in Tim Tebow's class.

Well, almost.

Chief,

I have to say, it really seems that we're intent on drafting some wildcat type athlete. Whether it's Casey, or P White, or McGee . . . . and we've looked into other guys as well.

I guess JJ could be doing this all for show, but he's sure putting a lot of effort into it then.

It really seems we're going to be trying to draft one of these types of guys.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Woods;2740907 said:
Chief,

I have to say, it really seems that we're intent on drafting some wildcat type athlete. Whether it's Casey, or P White, or McGee . . . . and we've looked into other guys as well.

I guess JJ could be doing this all for show, but he's sure putting a lot of effort into it then.

It really seems we're going to be trying to draft one of these types of guys.

It seems that way.

With all the talk about getting another wide receiver, and the apparent search for a wildcat type, this doesn't bode well for Isaiah Stanback. I wonder if they've given up on him.

Woods

Reaction score
Chief;2740910 said:
It seems that way.

With all the talk about getting another wide receiver, and the apparent search for a wildcat type, this doesn't bode well for Isaiah Stanback. I wonder if they've given up on him.

I remember watching a game last season, and one of the announcers said that the problem with Stanback's shoulder is that even with surgery, even with a harness, that it can pop out anytime.

But I'd guess that the last WR spot is going to be a fight between Stanback and possibly the guy on the PS and another draft pick.

One spot is clearly available due to TO's departure at WR.

And if it's Casey, he may replace Cricket. If it's Pat White, then Stanback could be in more trouble, IMO.

I think Stanback still has a shot, but his shoulder worries me.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2740253 said:
sorry bear, i missed it buddy,

LOL... I ain't mad at ya, my eyes were just spinnin' in my skull as I tried to read that...

And without meaning to be condescending, I thought that maybe you didn't know how to delete the filler, how easy it is...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Rush 2112;2740256 said:
I'm not saying it didn't happen.......I'm just saying it doesn't make sense that we would make it known to the whole world.

Perhaps you've already seen where Todd Archer confirmed Mosley's report...

There are apparently some loose lips within the Cowboys organization, and Jerry probably ought to put a stop to it...

I actually like Casey a lot, but nothing in his background says FB.

Well, the Boys apparently see SOMETHING in his background that suggests to them he could play FB... and with the versatility he's already shown, I wouldn't bet against him being able to play MLB, if he decided he wanted to... :D

The other issue is we already have a lot of mouths to feed on O.

Roy, MBIII, Felix, Choice, Bennet, Austin, Crayton.

There's an issue I could live with...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
silverbear;2741235 said:
Well, the Boys apparently see SOMETHING in his background that suggests to them he could play FB... and with the versatility he's already shown, I wouldn't bet against him being able to play MLB, if he decided he wanted to... :D

I had to smile at the point in the story where they run out of pass rushers due to injury in the middle of the game and the coach asks Casey if he still remembered the defense, Casey tells the coach to give him a wrist band b/c he knows it. Then proceeds to go out and get a sack and tackle for loss.

:D Classic

Rush 2112

Reaction score
silverbear;2741235 said:
Perhaps you've already seen where Todd Archer confirmed Mosley's report...

There are apparently some loose lips within the Cowboys organization, and Jerry probably ought to put a stop to it...

There's an issue I could live with...

Sometimes smoke is just smoke.

I bet he never plays FB full time in the NFL.

Motion TE yes...............but FB never.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
CATCH17;2741699 said:
Get it done Jerry!

I'll help clean up the tears on the zone Saturday if you do.

:laugh1: :p: :starspin