Opinions on James Casey from Rice?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
He could play QB he did it in HS and at Rice a little bit Wild Cat with James Casey FTW!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
dbair1967;2718911 said:
BAT;2717355 said:
You need to go back and read scouting reports on him then, because he was highly regarded for his blocking skills.

I don't need to, I actually watched a few of his games, some live. I was there when the Orange went undefeated in the regular season by beating VT, 32-30. Johnston ran for over a hundred yards, in a SINGLE half.

Johnston is ranked 12th ALL TIME as a rusher in Syracuse history. Nothing to sneeze at when the guys in front of him include Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Larry Csonka, Joe Morris, etc.

http://www.rankopedia.com/ZoneID=3/4658/Greatest-Rusher-in-Syracuse-Football-History/Step1/15439.htm

Johnston played closer to a true FB in '89 and while he was a good blocker, Syracuse just did not use him like that very much, especially in their fancy pitch option game that they ran. Johnston was revered, at the college level, for his tough running style moreso than his blocking.

Woods

Reaction score
Time to *bump* up the James Casey thread.

I think he's a real possibility.

He offers a lot more from the FB position than Cricket.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Woods, you know what is the amazing part? Cowboys have needs at QB (3rd string & wildcat), slot receiver and FB. In any other draft that would require 3, likely FOUR, picks/players to fulfill those needs.

Drafting Casey covers every single one of those positions. That's ONE guy to fill 4 needs. Math is simple. I am sure the shrewd business man Jerry Jones sees the bargain here.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I like Casey but still not sure if his unique skill set is a real asset to the cowboys, him seems like the swiss army knife of draft picks. I just hope he can master one particular position, and that is the rub, what is his best role? This may say more about what is available to us picking so late in the second round than the talent of Casey. I personally would rather have McGee for the 3rd QB, a real wide receiver(tall and fast if possible starting to come around on Varden), and good LB from this draft(no clear consensus). The CB/Safety/OL/DT positions are weak after the first 25 players according to the media snoops so I think those should be our reaches in the later rounds. I hope we still pick best player available at the time no matter the need.
This offense we have is still viable it is not an old glue horse waiting out its life, a nightmare to defense if we get on track and pure pleasure for a fan when hitting on all cylinders. This season is up to the coaching, we have all the talent needed, rookies will be hard pressed to penetrate the starting lineup in my opinion. I have my fingers crossed for Garrett and Wade and will give them the benefit until the writing starts appearing on the wall. Go Cowboys

BAT;2740082 said:
Woods, you know what is the amazing part? Cowboys have needs at QB (3rd string & wildcat), slot receiver and FB. In any other draft that would require 3, likely FOUR, picks/players to fulfill those needs.

Drafting Casey covers every single one of those positions. That's ONE guy to fill 4 needs. Math is simple. I am sure the shrewd business man Jerry Jones sees the bargain here.

Woods

Reaction score
BAT;2740082 said:

Hey, I know he played some defense as well at Rice.

He can probably play Safety too.

Our draft is done. :laugh1:

Not a serious note, I think that Casey can realistically play H-Back, FB, play the slot on occasion, and play some wildcat, and some WR even.

If we're going this route, I prefer Casey to P White, because I think the learning curve for Casey is a lot faster.

Woods

Reaction score
Anyway, if we draft him, it will be fun to look at all the previous responses on Casey. It makes this time of the year a lot of fun.

(I'm just worried we may taking Pat White.)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
dmoore;2705300 said:
This thread isn't about Johnson. However, I'd rather have Dallas pick a safety they think highly of in the 2nd or 3rd round than waste a high pick on Casey. No knock on his ability, but he'd be a complete waste of a pick.

Lemme guess-- last year you thought that Bennett was a "complete waste of a pick" too... after all, we already had Witten, right??

All you've proven with this post is that you lack imagination... I think of Casey on this team, playing FB, and I get visions of Roy at WR, Austin stretching the field, Crayton working underneath, Witten being Witten, Bennett offering a threat as the 2nd TE, Felix or Casey swinging out of the backfield...

And that's not even factoring in Casey's potential as a Wildcat QB, thus making things even more problematic for opposing defensive coordinators... or how happy we'd all be if, God forbid, Witten were to get hurt... we'd be able to move Casey to TE, and have him and Bennett still on the field...

What have you got against a diversified passing attack, anyway??

silverbear

Reaction score
dmoore;2705303 said:
I have a strong feeling none of the *experts* would think he's worth a pick in the first 3 rounds for Dallas.

Did you miss the part where the COWBOYS' "experts" are sending a contingent down to work Casey out??

I'm pretty sure they know how he grades in this draft, so if they're sniffing around that strong, that suggests that no matter what YOU think, THEY think he'd be worth an early pick...

And when push comes to shove, the COWBOYS' "experts" have the only opinion that really counts...

There's lots of players I like that have no chance of being Cowboys simply because they don't fit in with the direction this team is going to go in the draft.

At this point, I have serious doubts that you're really clued in as to what direction this team is going to go in the draft...

silverbear

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2705306 said:
The TE's that did or were in the top 5, there are a dozen of them with in reach of the top spot, D2 TE's that put up better numbers and have better measurables not to mention 4 years younger.

Like I said, he may be a 2nd or 3rd round pick for some one but let that team have him that early. WAY to many depth issues on this team to be taking a 3rd TE/emergency QB (When you have 2 on the roster) or spot duty FB because he can't hold up playing it full time and we don't deploy a FB enough to justify it.

If the Boys were to draft Casey, you'd see them use a FB a lot more often... if you think they'd spend an early pick on him and not use him, well, I'll be kind here, and say I find that laughable...

Really, it's quite ridiculous of you (and others in this thread) to assert this strongly that the Boys won't draft Casey, when they're showing so much interest in him... if that was true, why send that contingent to work him out, just a coupla days before the draft...

To me, that's an indicator of STRONG interest... which means that you (and others in this thread) are willfully ignoring the signals the Boys are sending...

silverbear

Reaction score
BAT;2705357 said:
Your philosophy is to protect your depth, mine isn't. I will always take the playmaker, regardless of position.

Jimmy Johnson always said that... but what the heck does HE know??

Rush 2112

Reaction score
If we were sending a contingent to work him out would it be splattered all over the web?

silverbear

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2705627 said:
When Moose was drafted we had no FB and a offense that utilized the position.

Again, I'm not sure where the idea that Casey has the agility or speed to line up at WR. His latest 40 time only proves that and even at Rice against top notch compition he struggled to get separation. He would get chewed up in the NFL by DB's and struggle against most LB's that he would see playing TE.

Good Gawd, you really are a slave to preconceived notions... Casey runs a 4.71 40 at his Pro Day workout, and now he's completely incapable of playing effectively as a slot receiver in spot duty in the NFL??

Jason Witten ran a 4.65 second 40 at his Combine workout, and he's proven to be effective lining up in the slot from time to time... I guess in your world, that six hundredths of a second makes all the difference, eh??

Besides, we're talking about him slipping into the slot OCCASIONALLY, as a changeup to confuse opposing defenses... we're not talking about making him one of the Boys' full-time slot receivers...

You have got to try thinking outside the box sometimes, hoss...

silverbear

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2706050 said:
Casey throws in another wrinkle

Joe, buddy, I don't mean to give you a hard time, but for the love of God, when you paste an article like this, could you PLEASE delete all the filler crap?? It only takes a second, you just drag your mouse over the section you don't want to keep, so that the entire section is highlighted, then hit the backspace key...

There was more filler garbage than article here, man...

silverbear

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2706727 said:
Yeah, I'm not sure where the opinion came that I felt we had to draft a S or LB. I kind of figured out what was going on after reading all the posts again.

Also don't get me wrong, if Casey is sitting there in the 4th I would hope Dallas would jump all over him. Unless some guys really started to slide that would be great value for Dallas.

I wouldn't draft Casey in the second, but if he's still there at pick 69, I'd have his card up to the podium in about 3 seconds...

silverbear

Reaction score
dmoore;2715737 said:
Why would we take a guy just to play in the wildcat?

Now you're just being willfully obtuse, hoss... we wouldn't draft Casey "just to play in the wildcat", that would be something he did OCCASIONALLY... we'd be drafting him to play fullback, sometimes slide into the slot as a receiver, then and only then to play the Wildcat QB...

silverbear

Reaction score
BAT;2717010 said:
And yet the Cowboys have drafted more than one that early (2nd rounders) with Witten on the roster. Not saying they will do so again, but there is certainly precedent. Besides, the poster was discussing a hybrid position H-Back/FB, not necessarily drafting Casey as a pure TE.

Cowboys also drafted Moose Johnston in the 2nd or 3rd if I recall.

BAT, after thinking seriously about this, I have come around 180 degrees... I now think that in the 3rd round, drafting Casey would be a brilliant move...

silverbear

Reaction score
Rush 2112;2740212 said:
If we were sending a contingent to work him out would it be splattered all over the web?

Mosley's got a big mouth, but unless you think he made it up, that's exactly what happened-- we sent a contingent and it got splattered all over the web...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
silverbear;2740220 said:
Joe, buddy, I don't mean to give you a hard time, but for the love of God, when you paste an article like this, could you PLEASE delete all the filler crap?? It only takes a second, you just drag your mouse over the section you don't want to keep, so that the entire section is highlighted, then hit the backspace key...

There was more filler garbage than article here, man...

sorry bear, i missed it buddy,

Rush 2112

Reaction score
silverbear;2740232 said:
Mosley's got a big mouth, but unless you think he made it up, that's exactly what happened-- we sent a contingent and it got splattered all over the web...

I'm not saying it didn't happen.......I'm just saying it doesn't make sense that we would make it known to the whole world.

I actually like Casey a lot, but nothing in his background says FB.

The other issue is we already have a lot of mouths to feed on O.

Roy, MBIII, Felix, Choice, Bennet, Austin, Crayton.