Oregon To #3

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
romo2to;3599548 said:
Boise State should not be knocked out of the three spot until they get beat. Same with Alabama/Ohio State.

It's like dropping a team when they have a bye week.

Competition, be damned.

The polls are "living" and constantly updating to improve their accuracy. A team doesn't need to lose to fall if voters realize they had another team grossly undervalued (which happened to Oregon). Boise State didn't even fall as much as Ohio State did, it was just more visible because they swapped positions with Oregon.

rkell87

Reaction score
Cythim;3599903 said:
Again, no you do not. The final poll will have 3 and 4 loss teams in it. The Pac-10 will finish with 4 ranked teams, Oregon, Arizona, Stanford and whoever is the best between USC, OSU and possibly UW. OSU, Arizona and Stanford finished last season ranked with an 8-4 record.

In the Big 12 Nebraska will obviously be ranked if Oklahoma makes it to the Big 12 title game and OSU has a great shot at being ranked (they made the final BCS poll with a 9-3 record last season and should easily deplicate that record). Missouri is also in line for a 3-loss record and a shot at the Top 25 and obviously you cannot count Texas out yet.
i guess well see then, bookmarked

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Cythim;3599911 said:
The polls are "living" and constantly updating to improve their accuracy. A team doesn't need to lose to fall if voters realize they had another team grossly undervalued (which happened to Oregon). Boise State didn't even fall as much as Ohio State did, it was just more visible because they swapped positions with Oregon.

I knew Ohio St would fall in the votes...as they should...it was a pitiful performance...AGAIN...against Illinois.

Illinois ALWAYS gives Ohio St fits for whatever reason.

Ridiculous.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Well we?

This arguement is pathetic. Even if you count three quality wins for Boise State, who do they have after that? Fresno State? Oklahoma and Oregon will play over half their schedules against teams that are better than Fresno State.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
Cythim;3600190 said:
Well we?

This arguement is pathetic. Even if you count three quality wins for Boise State, who do they have after that? Fresno State? Oklahoma and Oregon will play over half their schedules against teams that are better than Fresno State.

And that is the problem with the FBS system. I do not mind the bowl system so much as I mind the conference line up. If they are going to have a bowl system determine who is the champion then they need to be involved in scheduling, and I think take it step farther and realign the conferences if only for for football to take away this question once and for all. We can argue all day whether or not BSU or TCU or Utah could survive in the PAC-10 or the BIG 12, I am not very impressed with the Big 12 this year at all, the PAC-10 has a stronger case to argue for SOS against BSU.

The NCAA/FBS needs to be actively involved in including these programs that have demonstrated that they belong in the championship hunt. BSU changed conferences to assist the MWC in becoming a AQ and it looks like they are getting screwed over again with TCU looking to bolt to the Big East. With both Utah and BYU already gone, the MWC should just drop the W from their name and replace it with an "A". they have done nothing change their predicament.

While the majority of you on this board are fans of Texas or OU or ATM or another major school, we do not get that security that comes from being in a AQ conference and we have to address these questions every year regardless of what we do on the field. Coach Peterson takes 2 and 3 star recruits and competes with anyone and still we get blasted and questioned every time we take field. We get "lucky" or our blue turf get questioned and although Oregon blends in with their field as well, that gets overlooked. I do not understand why it is so hard to give credit to a program that has been as successful as it has been regardless of what conference it has been in. I don't care what conference you are in, if you can go 35-4 after taking over an already successful program you do deserve national recognition. While they might not be the best team in the nation, and I am on record as saying that they are not. I disagree that they do not under any circumstance deserve to play for the NC. If there isn't another undefeated team at the end of the season, then BSU deserves to play. A one loss team should not jump them again.

As for the BCS rankings, the final polls are the only ones that matter. That is why we need VT and Oregon State to win out. That would not only eliminate Oregon for us, but it would it would give us quality wins over both clubs. I misunderstood what you were saying Dallas, I agree with what you were saying.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
I've said this before on these forums, I think Boise is a good team that deserves a shot, but with this current system I cannot agree to giving them that shot in place of an undefeated or even a one loss team from a major conference.

The answer to the problem isn't easy. People complain about Boise's schedule on both sides, either they don't play anyone or no one wants to play them. I cannot blame the teams that don't want to play them because it is not their job to help another team contend for the title. It is also asinine to expect a contending team who already has a hard schedule to add one more big game to help out that other school and not themselves.

Some sort of playoff system would be better than what we have but first there is the hurdle of getting rid of the BCS. Once that is done, how many teams do you take and how do you decide which? If it is a four team playoff would Boise be sitting at #5 or 6 instead?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jack-Reacher;3600280 said:
And that is the problem with the FBS system. I do not mind the bowl system so much as I mind the conference line up. If they are going to have a bowl system determine who is the champion then they need to be involved in scheduling, and I think take it step farther and realign the conferences if only for for football to take away this question once and for all. We can argue all day whether or not BSU or TCU or Utah could survive in the PAC-10 or the BIG 12, I am not very impressed with the Big 12 this year at all, the PAC-10 has a stronger case to argue for SOS against BSU.

It's not even that really. The ACC and Big East get auto-bids as well.

Can Boise State win those conferences?

They wouldn't even have to go undefeated to get a BCS bid in those conferences.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
I'm not sure a playoff a system is realistic. These are student/athletes and the student needs to come first no matter how much we may enjoy the athlete. The playoffs would have to happen right at the end of semester right during finals, during the holidays and I do not think that it is reasonable to ask any school to travel extensively during that time frame. I think the more logical approach is to get the FBS to take a more active approach in who is included in either the conferences or ignore the conferences altogether. Create their own FBS conferences that the teams must schedule from. This would be beneficial from both a travel and a game strength standpoint. It would keep most most rivalries intact and create some some some even more impressive games.

TCU playing the BIG 12 BSU and UTAH playing the PAC 10 etc. (Yes I know that Utah went to Pac 10) I think that makes for better regular season play regardless. I agree with Catch that you put either BSU, TCU or Utah in the East and they run that schedule.

mldardy

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3600181 said:
I knew Ohio St would fall in the votes...as they should...it was a pitiful performance...AGAIN...against Illinois.

Illinois ALWAYS gives Ohio St fits for whatever reason.

Ridiculous.
Yeah that is true. I am like what is it will Illinois that they seemed to always give us fits. I remember that game in the 02 season where the Buckeyes won in OT at Illinois and Krenzel saved them.

rkell87

Reaction score
Cythim;3600190 said:
Well we?

'

happy

jimmy40

Reaction score
I blame all this on OU not giving a damn about the bowl game against BS until it was too late.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
jimmy40;3600833 said:
I blame all this on OU not giving a damn about the bowl game against BS until it was too late.

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: Truth !

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
mldardy;3600672 said:
Yeah that is true. I am like what is it will Illinois that they seemed to always give us fits. I remember that game in the 02 season where the Buckeyes won in OT at Illinois and Krenzel saved them.

And then losing AT the Horseshoe to them in 2007.

:shoot6:

mldardy

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3601094 said:
And then losing AT the Horseshoe to them in 2007.

:shoot6:
Yeah that game and then there was a similar game to last Saturday's game in 2006 where they struggled at Illinois to win. Tressel went with a basic game plan that game too.

romo2to

Reaction score
Cythim;3599911 said:

They swapped positions because Oregon played on National TV while Boise State didn't play on TV at all (which is ridiculous).

Taking the pollsters out of the equation will only make the product better - somehow the NCAA hasn't figured that out.

rantanamo

Reaction score
Boise and TCU can't get "shafted". There's only one way for them to even get to a BCS bowl, not to even mention the championship. Simply have to make a deal to join a BCS conference if they don't want to be shafted.

If you didn't see this coming, you're delusional. Oregon has to win the Pac-10 to get to the BCS. Like it or not, that's a hard thing to do.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
romo2to;3601860 said:
They swapped positions because Oregon played on National TV while Boise State didn't play on TV at all (which is ridiculous).

Taking the pollsters out of the equation will only make the product better - somehow the NCAA hasn't figured that out.

The game was carried regionally

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
rantanamo;3601949 said:
Boise and TCU can't get "shafted". There's only one way for them to even get to a BCS bowl, not to even mention the championship. Simply have to make a deal to join a BCS conference if they don't want to be shafted.

If you didn't see this coming, you're delusional. Oregon has to win the Pac-10 to get to the BCS. Like it or not, that's a hard thing to do.

Oh is that all they have to do.. I wonder why they haven't thought of that? :cool: Good grief read the thread, this has been covered. At least come up with a reason that hasn't been covered ad naseum.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
With Bama losing the Ducks should move to #2. Will BST drop some more tomorrow?