Orlovsky ranks the impact of starting QBs

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what I was thinking lol. And most of those guys belong in tier 2. They are just running out of names to call their tiers lol.
That makes zero sense.

There is fundamentally no difference between “winning because of” and “winning a lot with”.

He should have just said Tier 1 and 2.
I get your thinking. I like his comparisons but I think he should have added “winning a lot with enough supporting cast”. That’s what I interpreted it as and may make it clearer but I’m just guessing. I think the “because of” is just seeing many examples where their talent and ability seems to often carry or will the team.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If you actually watch the Chargers play you’ll notice that their QB is trying to win his team the game vs our QB who is trying to not lose our team the game.

There is a difference hence this list.
blah blah blah

817Gill

Reaction score
King Tier:
Mahomes

Top Tier:
Burrow
Allen

Best of the Rest:
About 12-15 QBs
Bingo. Top two tiers can let the front office off the hook a bit more. Best of the rest needs their FO to actually do their job well. Organizations win championships, not just players.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
one example of winning because of, is rodgers against dallas in 2016 playoff game. he bought time made a throw, and cooks made a great catch.
They kick FG and win the game.

It isnt going to happen every game, just a few games, and possibly in the playoffs where a qb makes enough good plays to help the team
win a close game.(also means not making any bad plays that help the team lose)

also Mahomes pretty much did it in several playoff games and in SB last year.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If based strictly on last year and the year before, I'd put Aaron Rodgers in the "win a lot with" category. In the 2021 playoffs at Lambeau Field, his offense could only muster 10 points to San Francisco's 13. If we're going to knock Dak for putting up 17 at home against the Niners in 2021 and 12 on the road at San Fran, then surely Rodgers deserves to be brought down a notch for not being able to generate more than 13 and then not getting his team into the playoffs last year with a do-or-die game against the Lions at home in Lambeau Field. Simply put, he can't do it alone anymore. He needs an ensemble cast.

Same with Lamar. With the money and hype he's getting, he should have taken his team deeper into the playoffs by now. Your "because of" quarterbacks need to perform BEYOND the regular season when quarterbacks are supposed to make the difference.

Also, I like Hurts and based on leading his team to a Super Bowl, I'm okay with where he's listed. But I'd like to see a few more seasons. He has a SUPER team around him. But he's taking advantage of it. I want to see his productivity when he's not surrounded by talent at every offensive position.

I don't think Ridder belongs in the "?" category. He's only in his second year. Of course, there are going to be questions of any second-year quarterback this side of Dan Marino, who had a spectacular rookie year. The same was said of Dak, who had a great rookie year. The question was always what is he going to be like when teams get a full year of tape on him. Simply put, it's natural to wonder about second-year quarterbacks. I don't think they should be listed in that category.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
"Winning with" rather than "winning because of" implies that teams with "winning with" quarterbacks are winning because of some other facet of the game.

In addition, "winning with" QB's seems to mean that, although they are not the main reason a team is winning, they are not a detriment to winning.

I suppose the remaining QB's fall under the categories of "can't win with" or "loses because of".

All of these are obviously generalities.

Okay, so where is the "winning because of" elements of the Cowboys"? Keep in mind that the Cowboys offense was ranked higher than their defense in both categories of scoring and yardage.

Well, the Cowboys offense's best rankings came in the categories of rushing TD's, where they were ranked #2 in the league as well as fumbles lost, also #2 in the league.

When it comes to having the 2nd best scoring RB's in the league, Zeke scored more TD's than all other Cowboys backs, including the QB's, combined. Now he is gone.

When it comes to having the 2nd lowest total of fumbles lost in the league, it helps to neutralize the negative effects of Dak's INT's to the point that, when you look at the defensive ranking in both categories, the combination gives the Cowboys the #2 ranking in turnover margin. This means that, despite Dak's INT's the Cowboys have the 2nd most favorable outcome when it comes to all aspects of turnovers last season.

Finally, Dak's overall career stats indicate that last season was an anomaly when it comes to INT's. Since joining the league in 2016, 65 quarterbacks have thrown at least 500 passes in their careers. Among them, Dak is ranked #21 in lowest INT rate, better than Aaron Rodgers, Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, Russel Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson.

Interesting how half of the "win because of" quarterbacks have a higher INT rate since 2016 than Dak Prescott.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I love how Dak after 1 bad season with INTs is a turnover machine and Jalen with 1 good season is an elite QB.
I think Dak is better than Hurts..

But..

It seems like the big moment is not too big with Hurts where as Dak always goes into a shell and needs someone to carry him.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I swear I don't think people read these lists before they go right to their respective corners and start swinging. It's a guess based on the last years work, age, team, what a guy can do on his own vs needing a team around, etc. So much butt hurt all around. There are a lot of factors. Doesn't mean Dak is horrible or that this magically comes true. I just shake my head.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Agree with the top list except for Hurts.

Dude is a product of the system they run.
Not sure that's a fair statement. You can say that about a lot of offensive players, including some in the HoF.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Turnover worthy plays.
WB65CvZ-.png-large.png

Allen had 13 total fumbles. Fumbles lost is irrelevant.

Don't talk about coming correct. Allen was unequivocally more turnover prone.

Good hustle, good effort.

I'm going to just keep posting this one every time someone mentions Dak's INTs

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak also 27 TD's in 13 games....and it still hurts to watch that Interception against Titans....Dak is not our problem....