OT: Breaking News on the gambling story...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
This isn't the first time that someone close to Gretzky has gotten into serious trouble.

Gretzky's former boss and friend, Bruce McNall, spent some time in federal prison for bank fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy.

For what it's worth.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief said:
This isn't the first time that someone close to Gretzky has gotten into serious trouble.

Gretzky's former boss and friend, Bruce McNall, spent some time in federal prison for bank fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy.

For what it's worth.
I had forgotten that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
My theory is that it is just some cop looking for glory by bringing down a pro athlete just like the prosecutor who went after Irvin.

I like Irvin but I think his was a case thinking he was above the law and he would not be the 1st Cowboy player to fall for the lime light and buying into his own popularity. Irvin walked into court looking like Pimp Daddy in his fur coat and sun glasses and believe me the judge did not find that funny or amusing at all. When you’re hanging out with prostitutes at strip clubs you’re asking for trouble

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
NHL Gambling Scandal Stinks, Regardless of the Outcome
Pro Ice Hockey Blog
« NHL Begins Damage Control With Its Own Gambling Probe | Main | Details and Denials in the Tocchet Gambling Case »

From Jamie Fitzpatrick,
Your Guide to Pro Ice Hockey.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
February 08, 2006
NHL Gambling Scandal Stinks, Regardless of the Outcome

A TV analyst and former NHL enforcer is among the first to defend hockey players who allegedly made wagers with an illegal gambling ring uncovered by New Jersey police. Nick Kypreos goes with the "gambling as part of life" defense.

"Yes, the boys like to play cards," Kypreos told CBC Television newsmagazine The National. "But guess what? Somewhere in the hospital right now there's five doctors getting together. There's five firemen, policemen. There is gambling everywhere."

If Kypreos believes it's that simple, he's an even bigger fool than the one he plays on television.

Even if the investigation proves, as first reported, that the NHL players never bet on hockey, there are any number of reasons why athletes and underworld gambling are a putrid mix.

Might an NHL player provide inside info - like injury updates or locker room tidbits - to help someone else make a bet, or to help a bookmaker with his research?
Might an NHL player run up a huge, unmanageable debt by betting on other sports, thereby placing himself under the thumb of a bookie? And might that bookie choose any number of creative ways to exert his influence? Unlikely, perhaps, considering NHL salaries. But stranger things have happened.
If pro athletes consort with the wagering crowd, isn't it naive to assume that not one of them will bet on his or her own sport? After all, if you or I set out to place a bet on a game, which sport will we choose? The one we know best, of course.
As always, appearance counts as much as reality. Millions of folks open their newspapers or web browsers and see the following phrases in a story: "NHL players-gambling ring-money laundering-conspiracy-organized crime-hockey." Many of them won't read the whole story or absorb the details. The damage is done.

The point Kypreos might have been trying to make is a valid one: society is at odds with itself over gambling. It's an open secret that last Sunday's Super Bowl was more than just a game, that sports wagering is nearly as big an industry as sport itself. State and provincial governments, meanwhile, hoover up billions through lotteries, scratch tickets, video lotto machines and countless other schemes. Yet we're supposed to be outraged that an unlicensed gambling ring pulled in a measly $1.7 million?

But when it comes to sports betting, athletes must remain a breed apart. Expecting them to live lives beyond reproach is foolish. But they should at least have the good sense to steer clear of rackets run by wise guys.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hmmmm - the incredibly shrinking story.

Gretzky can try and erase what has he's done - but its too late

He needs to step down.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
Hmmmm - the incredibly shrinking story.

Gretzky can try and erase what has he's done - but its too late

He needs to step down.

Wow, you really hate Gretzky. You must have some bitter memories of him lighting up the Bruins.

How did Bourque winning the Cup in Colorado make you feel?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
Wow, you really hate Gretzky. You must have some bitter memories of him lighting up the Bruins.

How did Bourque winning the Cup in Colorado make you feel?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_y...oyotes-gamblingbust-gretzky&prov=ap&type=lgns

I love Gretzky. Saw him a few times - if not the greatest player EVER.

I don't like what HE did, who he appears to have been in Kahoots with. If association to organized crime or any involvement in illegal gambling and he needs to be divested of NHL affiliation.

Bruins? :laugh1: I grew up a Hartford Whaler fan in CT and season ticket holder. Absolutely hate the Bruins.

Maybe Janet Jones is promoting her new movie - Dirt Nap

Screening January 23rd for the first time to a select industry audience during Sundance Film Festival this month, "Dirt Nap" celebrates with a highly anticipated private VIP party and dinner that same evening hosted by D.B. Sweeney and attended by all cast.

About "Dirt Nap"

Hilarious and heartwarming, "Dirt Nap" is a comedy of lost dreams and underappreciated treasures. Life-long buddies endearingly fumble along -- through gator-infested swampland, lost rock n roll aspirations, faking their own deaths, issues with respective wives, kids and parents, a gambling problem, the dart game of a lifetime and other surprises. Written by Brian Currie and D.B. Sweeney, produced and directed by D.B. Sweeney, co-produced by George Parra, "Dirt Nap" cast also includes Ed Harris, Moira Kelly, Ned Bellamy, Mark Moses, Rex Linn, Janet Jones and Vanna White.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_y...oyotes-gamblingbust-gretzky&prov=ap&type=lgns

I love Gretzky. Saw him a few times - if not the greatest player EVER.

I don't like what HE did, who he appears to have been in Kahoots with. If association to organized crime or any involvement in illegal gambling and he needs to be divested of NHL affiliation.

Bruins? :laugh1: I grew up a Hartford Whaler fan in CT and season ticket holder. Absolutely hate the Bruins.

Maybe Janet Jones is promoting her new movie - Dirt Nap

Screening January 23rd for the first time to a select industry audience during Sundance Film Festival this month, "Dirt Nap" celebrates with a highly anticipated private VIP party and dinner that same evening hosted by D.B. Sweeney and attended by all cast.

About "Dirt Nap"

Hilarious and heartwarming, "Dirt Nap" is a comedy of lost dreams and underappreciated treasures. Life-long buddies endearingly fumble along -- through gator-infested swampland, lost rock n roll aspirations, faking their own deaths, issues with respective wives, kids and parents, a gambling problem, the dart game of a lifetime and other surprises. Written by Brian Currie and D.B. Sweeney, produced and directed by D.B. Sweeney, co-produced by George Parra, "Dirt Nap" cast also includes Ed Harris, Moira Kelly, Ned Bellamy, Mark Moses, Rex Linn, Janet Jones and Vanna White.

I think you could easily argue that Gretzky is the most dominant player in any sport.....ever. Armstrong at the Tour is the only comparable thing I can think of off the top of my head.

I am hoping he isn't involved, but it looks like everyone around him was. Hard to believe he didn't know what was going on.

You seem pretty fired up for this "Dirt Nap" movie.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
People are going down, Coyote's GM now involved.
Bruin Play by play guy with insides yesterday said they have at least 1 other high profile actor and another NHL owner who was involved. This is on top of the 12 NHL players that is circulating.

My sense is they want Tochett and the Philly organized crime family. This could reach RICOH status - and may result in Coyotes being taken over by Feds if The Owners can be tied to illegal activity. Not sure if Gretzky is an actual owner.

Mcnall, and I believe an owner before McNall went down around Gretzky in past. I would not be suprised if his partners within the Coyotes are not involved.

This is going to be a real big story when it all gets out. I was hoping Gretzky was clean but he's in trouble with the NHL. (I don't think they are after him or Janet for jail time) just some sing, sing.....

Barnett made Super Bowl wager through Tocchet
The bet was one time only

David Vest
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 9, 2006

Multiple NHL sources confirmed Thursday that Coyotes General Manager Mike Barnett made a financial wager on Sunday’s Super Bowl through Coyotes associate coach Rick Tocchet, but that Barnett’s wager was a one-time bet.

Tocchet has been charged by New Jersey State Police with financing a multimillion dollar national gambling ring — Operation Slapshot — and is to be arraigned on Tuesday, Feb. 21, before Burlington County Superior Court Judge Thomas S. Smith Jr.

The specifics of Barnett’s wager were not immediately known.

On Thursday, Barnett deferred comment to a statement issued to The Arizona Republic late Wednesday by the team’s Director of Security.

“There are a lot of rumors circulating with many names included,” Jim O’Neal said in the statement. “As part of the ongoing investigation, I spoke (Wednesday) with (law enforcement) authorities from New Jersey to answer any questions which they may have had.

“At the conclusion of the conversation, it was requested that I make no comment as to the nature of our discussion, due to the ongoing proceedings.

“I was also advised by the authorities (Wednesday) that they did not likely foresee a need for further questioning pertaining to any members of our organization, whether it be Michael Barnett or others.”

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/team/staff_details.php?ID=2

We have assistant coach as the organizer/ringleader
We have a NJ State cop with alledged ties into Philly/NJ mafia
We have Gretzky's wife Gambling $500K a month
We have Wayne on wiretap
We have Coyote GM now implicated gambling

The local source here says an Owner will come out in this. Makes sense its a Coyote owner?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Ben Afleck's name is surfacing, Coyote's GM nailed today by press. An owner is going to be named soon. Also local Arizona gambling ring deep in community may be outed soon - voluminous records being examined.

Harney, 40, was arrested Monday and has been suspended from the force. He was charged in an arrest warrant with official misconduct, promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy. James Ulmer, who was also charged with promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy.

Both men were free after posting 10 percent of their bail. Harney had $100,000 bail; Ulmer had $50,000 bail. The two men are expected to be arraigned in state Superior Court in Burlington County within two weeks.

Harney's lawyer, Craig Mitnick,said his client hadn't decided whether to contest the charges in court.

Fuentes did not disclose the bettors' names and said charges against more people were possible. He described one as a "movie celebrity."
Authorities also said the ring is connected to organized crime.

"We have evidence that leads us to believe that the traditional organized crime families that exist in the city of Philadelphia have exercised some degree of influence over this enterprise," Lt. Col. Frank Rodgers of the New Jersey State Police told Canada's TSN. "A relatively large number of (NHL) players distributed pretty equally around the United States, and that includes some of the management and coaches associated with the NHL as well."

Authorities seized property from Harney and Ulmer Monday night. State police seized $27,000 in currency, "voluminous" amounts of sports betting information and bank accounts worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, Fuentes said.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Gretzky sounded weary on Thursday talking to reporters after the game for about two minutes.

"I hope you appreciate that these three days have been horrible. I'm just too tired mentally and physically to talk any more about it," he said. "There's nothing more for me to talk about. And if you have questions for people involved, contact them."

Meanwhile, Phoenix general manager Michael Barnett also released a statement during Thursday's game, addressing media reports that he bet on the Super Bowl through Tocchet and later met with investigators in New Jersey about the case.

"They informed me that my conduct has in no way violated either federal or state laws," he said.

Authorities say from Dec. 29 through Feb. 5 -- the day of the Super Bowl -- bettors placed a total of $1.7 million in wagers with the ring run by a New Jersey state trooper, Tocchet and a South Jersey man. All face charges of promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy and are scheduled to be arraigned in Superior Court in Mount Holly on Feb. 21, the state Attorney General's office said Thursday.

AP - Feb 9, 11:52 pm EST
More Photos

Elliot Mintz, a spokesman for Jones, said in a statement that she may be called as a witness before a grand jury in New Jersey.

"Janet is merely one of a number of witnesses, and there is no allegation whatsoever that Janet has violated any law," he said.

Investigators are looking into whether anyone involved in the 5-year-old ring, which authorities say had a connection to organized crime in Philadelphia and southern New Jersey, bet on NHL games. Gretzky is not the main focus of the probe, the person said.

The Star-Ledger of Newark, citing unidentified law enforcement sources, first reported of a wiretap involving Gretzky in Thursday's newspapers. The newspaper also reported that Jones bet $500,000 during the investigation, including $75,000 on the Super Bowl.

Lawyers involved in the case said details of the three-month investigation should not be made public

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Too bad Gretzky doesn't have someone behind the scenes with a big "eraser" that could hide or make his actions go away. As if it never happened........

Too late for him, its out.

Canada hockey factions are starting the process of removing him. NHL needs to come down swift and fast on Wayne also.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Too bad Gretzky doesn't have someone behind the scenes with a big "eraser" that could hide or make his actions go away. As if it never happened........

Too late for him, its out.

Canada hockey factions are starting the process of removing him. NHL needs to come down swift and fast on Wayne also.
For what?

He hasn't been implicated in the gambling. What NHL rule has he broken?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Is Gretzky guilty of something just because he knew Tocchet financed a gambling ring? Or would he have had to have placed bets to be guilty of something?

He'd be guilty if they can prove he knew about the ring. But since his wife was placing bets, they'll probably try to prove that he was a co-conspirator.

I have some friends and relatives that work in NYC as attorneys and police officers and from what they've told me the Feds are basically going after the mob guys. By trumping up some extreme charges against the players, they can then force the players to give them info on the mob guys in order for them to drop the charges.

Rich............

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
He'd be guilty if they can prove he knew about the ring. But since his wife was placing bets, they'll probably try to prove that he was a co-conspirator.

I have some friends and relatives that work in NYC as attorneys and police officers and from what they've told me the Feds are basically going after the mob guys. By trumping up some extreme charges against the players, they can then force the players to give them info on the mob guys in order for them to drop the charges.

Rich............
Not shocking. They won't want the people who gambled as much as the guys who ran the ring.

Tochet is in trouble. I doubt any of the betters are in too much trouble. Fines, audits, etc.

The organizers are the goal.

Gretzky's name just feeds the media frenzy.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
For what?

He hasn't been implicated in the gambling. What NHL rule has he broken?

Knowledage and association with principals in an illegal organized crime operation. His assistant coach, GM and Wife are all involved. It is inapropriate for an NHL coach/owner to be involved in this type of situation. Racketeering, money laundering, inter state illegal activity. Organized crime and illegal gambling activity is bad for the NHL who must act on this swiftly.

Gretyky already perjured himself Tuesday - wiretap evidence released after his statement. He personally may not have comitted a "crime". But his total innapropriate behaviour has jeopardized the credibility of the sport. He should have known better.

More to follow later today.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Organized crime - mob, Tochett, integrity of the NHL.

If this gets any closer to Wayne he's soon officially done. You can't have your Owners/coaches involved in these activities.

Its rather Naive to believe Wayne was not fully aware of what was going on here.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
When you're dealing with a bookie, things are a little bit ... looser. You're not always laying your money down before the play. Maybe you lose a couple times and you up the ante trying to make win it back. Next thing you know, you're in a tight spot -- and yes, even an athlete making hundreds of thousands or millions can back himself into a corner. Once there, the athlete might be vulnerable to coercion. And if the numbers are big enough, that might lead to a request. And if that request comes from someone connected to a larger criminal endeavor, it can be very, very persuasive.

That doesn't mean a guy will have to throw a game. Maybe it's just a bit of information he has to pass along. Either way, it's a violation of the integrity of the game ... even though the player wasn't betting directly on hockey.

And it doesn't even have to be a staggering sum that's wagered. Just the leverage that's afforded to one party who knows another party is doing something he's not supposed to can be devastating.

After all, every one of these players is reminded at the beginning of each season to avoid this very situation for this very reason. The livelihood of each and every guy in the league depends on maintaining the game's integrity.
Of course, none of this may have happened. Every one of the hockey players who may have been involved might have won their big bets. There may not have been a single visit from Fat Tony asking for a favor.

But the athletes put themselves in a position where there could have been. And that's enough.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's in a tough spot. One thing he has to remember is that the integrity of the game supercedes everything, and every individual.
Tocchet has been charged. Whether or not he's guilty at this point is not the issue. He has damaged the game. He needs to be suspended indefinitely