Twitter: Our aspiring FG kicker went 4 out of 11 today

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

just awful

What in the name of Hades has happened to Garibay? Gotta be mental with him. I had also assumed (yes) he had the job. Well that Lirim guy is outkicking him... He has usually kicked well previously but never really given a chance by Dallas to stick. They wanted their fave to keep his job even with his troubles. The Peg Leg. Garibay better step it up or he will be dropkicked outta here in no time. Get the team hypnotherapist on his arse.

blueblood70

Reaction score
These guys are not pro-quality kickers. Cut bait now and have the pro scouting department find us a kicker.
right because elite kickers grow on trees and are available 24-7 at 1-800 dial an elite kicker? Greg wasn't as bad as fans wanted to make him..not great but made tough kicks late in games.

you whined for change, you got it..lmao.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You just never really know about kickers, but for the record, I've been a skeptic that Garibay would prove to be a keeper... and at the same time, I've been kinda optimistic about Lirim ever since he had his first go with us.

I was touting Garibay based on what I'd read about him. Of course, I wanted York, but I felt Garibay was a good consolation prize. I'm not sure what happened to him. I know the wind has been an issue, but Hallelujah has handled it a lot better.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
How is this FO sitting on their hands in this situation? Churn the roster. Bring in street FAs, make a trade. Do something. Anything but nothing lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How is this FO sitting on their hands in this situation? Churn the roster. Bring in street FAs, make a trade. Do something. Anything but nothing lol
It's not like kickers need to develop cohesion with the team. Their job is the same on any team. If the guys on our squad don't get it together during preseason, they can sign someone new at any time, no rush.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
It's not like kickers need to develop cohesion with the team. Their job is the same on any team. If the guys on our squad don't get it together during preseason, they can sign someone new at any time, no rush.

According to Stephen Jones “talent acquisition is a 365 day activity”. Well— looks like they need to acquire some damn talent lol.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Maybe he's not a practice kicker.. He's a game time kicker...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Here is some perspective on Zuerlein just in case everyone forgot why he is no longer a Cowboy.

In 2021 we trotted Greg out (83) times to kick either a FG or a PAT. He missed a dozen of those kicks. Approximately 15%. That's not necessarily terrible numbers until you dig a bit deeper.

In analyzing ranges of kicks and where the misses occurred we see that 9 of his 12 misses happened in the 35-47 yard range. 3 were FGs, but 6 were extra points.

I think Jonathan gets another week, and if the trend doesn't change then maybe he needs to head up to Canada or another league to get his mental game settled down in game competition.

Fassel should set a metric in front of the two kickers in camp. Best FG% from 45 and under stays. Other person leaves.

If Zuerlein win the job with the Jets, then Pineiro might be an option for us if one of our two kickers don't work out.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
They should have given Zuerlein one more year to see if he could sort out his XP misses. Other than the XPs, he was pretty good from FGs (still Top-5 kicker in FG% in Cowboys history...look it up!)

It could get much worse than him...one of these kickers might be horrible from regular FGs and XPs

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our kicker situation is going to rear its ugly head during the season and you can almost count on it. I wasn’t nearly as down on Greg Zuerlein as many fans here were. I certainly wasn’t thrilled with him but he was coming off an injury and he did make a couple of really big kicks for us in pressure situations last season. So far the two kickers we bought to camp look like a couple of real stiffs! They can’t even handle pressure in practice. We may very well go through several kickers during the season.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should have given Zuerlein one more year to see if he could sort out his XP misses. Other than the XPs, he was pretty good from FGs (still Top-5 kicker in FG% in Cowboys history...look it up!)

It could get much worse than him...one of these kickers might be horrible from regular FGs and XPs
They wanted him back. Just released hi to redo his contract but he got claimed and signed with jets