Our future is not bright

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Drafting a WR in 1st round we should have let Cooper walk freeing up 20 million in cap space for defense. Then we sign at least Jones and Collins.

True. I think they were surprised that Lamb fell like he did. Given our wealth in that position you would think that this FO would look to see if anyone wants to trade for Cooper

blueblood70

Reaction score
I understand but I know I read in this forum during the off-season that this team with a proven winning HC was now making better decisions in the draft and FA due to MCArthy.
so one draft with no offseason and no real visits and what not and Mm and his new staff is judged on their drafting lmao some of you are flat out FRAUDs as fans..

seriously the expectations are our own flaw not Mm, lets actually give them real time to get something's changed...

Creeper

Reaction score
It's not as dire as all that.

You act like a team cannot sign any FA after they pay tier QB--its simply not true.

Better drafting, signing key FA pieces, & a complete off-season (maybe a DC change) and we're back on track.

But the Cowboys philosophy is to not sign high tier free agents. They sign players like Edgar Allan Poe.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
JJ has never put a premium on defense...Offense makes him money...It doesn't matter how you arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic Cowboys...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our owner still thinks it was the Triplets that won those championships.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
A big part of the problem is that they seem to refuse to sign FA players from other teams because they arent bargains.

Everyone they sign is a third contract and their best days are behind them.

They choose to give second contracts to their own, and since they like to tell themselves they draft better than they actually do, you end up with....well... what you're looking at right now.

And they take too many chances on players like Hardy, Thornton, Ha Ha Dix, McCoy, who make it one poorly performing year, if that. JJ struck gold on Haley so he thinks that will happen many times, doesn't realize Haley (and Quinn, maybe) are the exception, not the rule....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We have spent so much money on runningbacks and WR's and now our foundation is falling apart and the Dak bill is due.

I just don't see how we are going to overcome Dak's contract and somehow quickly improve this team. It's going to take years.

Jaylon Smith? Terrible contract

Lawrence? Terrible contract

LVE? Not reliable

Once Dak is signed the only way to improve this team is with rookies and we've been basically doing that since he has got here and we have nothing to show for it.

I wish Dallas wasn't so in love with their QB. I wish they would look to the draft and save themselves from locking us down into mediocrity.

We've lost almost all hope for doing anything this season and the Cowboys only redeeming quality is that our division is so bad.

McCarthy looks like the fraud I said he was. I still have hope but I hated this hire.

It's just bad and we desperately need to add a transcendent player or coach to this staff to even give us a chance to overcome all of this.

Dak, like Romo, just can't overcome all of our problems and paying them all that money just makes them insanely rich and the Cowboys insanely average.

Someone please give me a shred of optimism for this teams future....
you just said it. right there. ....its not about Dak's contract. that's just an excuse by Dak detractors....he is being paid what 31M this season? more than if he would have signed a contract, but we have large contracts handed out, so it hasn't stopped the team for signing and handing out big contract.s

the problem is every and I mean every investment on the defensive side has turned out to be bad or at best slightly below average. those investments include draft picks as well.

we paid Lawrence 20M average contract...so there was money. ROI? 0.5 sack in 12 games. zero QB hits in the first four games of 2020
Jaylon, got a 64M contract. so there was money, there is money...yet he is ranked 55th in the NFL....
LVE...AWOL
Chido....AWOL and been average other wise.
Hill....yeah, nice rotation guy, if he is our best DT, then that should tell you enough
Gregory....probably smoking somewhere
Taco?...oh, he has 2 sacks in KC somehow

so we have wasted, wasted wasted all our investments on the defensive side. imagine if we had players that lived up to their lofty draft status and contracts....

and thus we all want to look for an out, look for an excuse, somewhere to point fingers...someone to point fingers and blame and QB is the easiest place to start...

there are 6 guys who are supposed to be foundations of the defense and they all suck....lets start there

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
no thats just an emotional thought process, the KC chiefs have a cap hit at least equal if not more invested IN their offense and still signed enough FAs and sprinkle in draft picks to have solid defense..

we have whatever future that comes to be but stating that as if you know that for sure , well thats just a feeling a gut guess job..other teams find ways to adjust to cap space..

judging MM and this staff and how the future drafts and FA acquisitions are going to be is just an opinion, not fact..no one knows the future..

I choose to say hey lets wait give this staff a few years before we call them frauds..sad a staff gets 4 games now and are out to fans.. lmao Garett finally goes and now 4 games in still not happy, thats personal issue with expectations and pessimistic views..

a lot of Fan frauds is what we have...

Mahomes is still playing for rookie money.

They set his contract up that way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True. I think they were surprised that Lamb fell like he did. Given our wealth in that position you would think that this FO would look to see if anyone wants to trade for Cooper
I understand the attraction for Lamb. Buts it a luxury pick for a team with deep talent at WR and so many weaknesses on defense.

Unless of course you let Cooper walk and use that Cap money to sign your defense.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I agree. But it should not be that way. Good football people could turn this ship around with 2 good offseason. We blew last off-season bargain hunting. How different would the D be with Quinn and B. Jones? and adding A Smith. It would be nowhere near this bad. I can guarantee that the next DC will be picked by the Jones. They let MM pick his staff and he brought us Nolan and "bones" (both should be fired)...what a fraud MM.
You mean the Robert Quinn that is currently playing less than half the snaps for Chicago and has a grand total of 2 tackles and one sack in the 3 games he has played? You really think that guy would have helped shore up our run defense. Get out of here with that garbage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
so one draft with no offseason and no real visits and what not and Mm and his new staff is judged on their drafting lmao some of you are flat out FRAUDs as fans..

seriously the expectations are our own flaw not Mm, lets actually give them real time to get something's changed...
Are you only going to attack the messenger. No argument on the message itself?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Problem is Jerry has never, and will never, follow that scenario. Hasn't a clue what FAs to sign, gets maybe one good draft pick per year and wouldn't know a good DC if he stumbled over him on the street....
jerry likes flash. he signs shiny flashy objects, like Zeke or Cooper or some offensive guy...he pays no attention to the dull matte defensive side. its the team culture....take a look at our defensive side and all the investments and misses we have had over the past 5 years alone...including coaching decisions.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Have you looked at the contract dates for the Cowboys? 26 players contracts expire this year, including Lewis, Woods, Brown, Looney, and on and on. Most of the supporting cast could be resigned, maybe, but if the Cowboys fall apart this year, how many of them will want to stay?

The future is as bright as a foggy night with a new moon...
so......we won't have draft picks?
our future is bright.
not gonna change my opinion over a knee-jerk reaction to being 1-3.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We have spent so much money on runningbacks and WR's and now our foundation is falling apart and the Dak bill is due.

I just don't see how we are going to overcome Dak's contract and somehow quickly improve this team. It's going to take years.

Jaylon Smith? Terrible contract

Lawrence? Terrible contract

LVE? Not reliable

Once Dak is signed the only way to improve this team is with rookies and we've been basically doing that since he has got here and we have nothing to show for it.

I wish Dallas wasn't so in love with their QB. I wish they would look to the draft and save themselves from locking us down into mediocrity.

We've lost almost all hope for doing anything this season and the Cowboys only redeeming quality is that our division is so bad.

McCarthy looks like the fraud I said he was. I still have hope but I hated this hire.

It's just bad and we desperately need to add a transcendent player or coach to this staff to even give us a chance to overcome all of this.

Dak, like Romo, just can't overcome all of our problems and paying them all that money just makes them insanely rich and the Cowboys insanely average.

Someone please give me a shred of optimism for this teams future....

yep......lve, Lawrence, and jaylon have really killed this defense. And investing heavy in a single back adds to the problem.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

He's not going to change crap. They are locked into this roster and will add nothing but rookies and scrubs to it.

We desperately need a transcendent player on this team somewhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You mean the Robert Quinn that is currently playing less than half the snaps for Chicago and has a grand total of 2 tackles and one sack in the 3 games he has played? You really think that guy would have helped shore up our run defense. Get out of here with that garbage.
He certainly helped us last year. Much like Collins did. And Jones and Heath. All 4 starters we let walk.

Basically so we could sign Cooper while using our 1st round pick to shore up arguably our deepest position at WR. Those decisions have consequences.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I understand the attraction for Lamb. Buts it a luxury pick for a team with deep talent at WR and so many weaknesses on defense.

Unless of course you let Cooper walk and use that Cap money to sign your defense.

yea but given the GM are you surprised? This is a man who ignored the offensive line for years thinking that if he just had a QBs and WR it would all work out. The defensive line has been ignored for years, how many years of Demarcus Wares career did they waste by not pairing him up with another competent defensive end on the other side or having better tackles? The guy tries to build his teams from the skill players down because at the end of the day he’s a carnival barker, fat dudes who block are not sexy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What you dont seem to understand. Still. Which is amazing in itself. Is that this front office does not freaking care about the defense. At all. They didnt put a good defense around Dak when he was making 420k. You can blame Dak all you want about wanting the money he is OWED. But you cant say if we dont pay him we are going to build a defense. We wont.

In one breath he talks about wasted money on defensive guys and Zeke. Then comes to the conclusion that we shouldn’t pay dak because of it. Lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mahomes is still playing for rookie money.

They set his contract up that way.

wrong he may not be at his peak pay but his Bonus money he already got goes on the books at whatever % they wrote it up as.. hes for sure making more money this year then he was scheduled to make but makes no difference point still valid.. calm down, relax!! its a sport its football that almost didnt happen.

i sincerely feel sorry for fans that are in this state of mind all the time.. might want to go follow another team or sport..
Im a longhorn Fan and DC fan with passion that can not be matched and as much as losses feel lie kick in the gut a lot for most weekends, im not ion this pessimistic mood you guys are in.. its taking years off your life yet you still choose to hang around the mighty web seemingly all day every day being a pessimist about the team you are allegedly a FAN of..

Im not happy camper right now either but i can see many factors to where we are and how we got here and know it takes more then 4 games to start calling for future nuclear devastation lmao

Big D

Reaction score
I still think Urban Meyer Is a option as HC after this season... a zeke and urban reunion may be something to have hopes about. I agree McCarthy is a fraud and I never bought in. His first presser didn’t help...and the rest is history.
I'll settle for anyone who plays the 'Chess' game of football. Since BP left we've had coaches that don't get it. We don't play to our strengths. We don't try to minimize our weaknesses. We don't target the opponents weaknesses in fact, it seems that we avoid them all together. We had a local highschool coach pass away recently, Bill Gentry. I'd put money on that if he was alive he could get more out of this roster than what we're currently getting.