Our future is not bright

SackMaster

Reaction score
Optimism you ask?

Well 2021 sucks cap wise no way around that. We currently are scheduled to have $16 million in "effective" cap space ($21 million total) with Cooper, Elliott and Lawrence are all basically uncutable due to them costing us more not to play than to stick around.

But "high profile" players that can be cut and increase cap space before 2021:
  • Jaylon = $400k
  • Poe = $4 million
  • Chris Jones = $2 million
  • Anthony Brown = $2.75 million
  • Zuerlein = $2.16 million
FYI, 2021 is the last year of LVE's contract and does not save or cost us anything to keep around.

I mean, that is not a whole lot, but it is something ....

Surprisingly though, 2022 COULD be a purge year. Here is the Cap saving for the following if cut pre-June 1st:
  • Cooper = $16 million ($6 million dead)
  • Elliott = $5.7 million ($10.8 million dead)
  • Lawerence = $8 million ($19 million dead)
  • Jaylon (if he is survives 2021) = $5 million ($6.8 million dead)
  • Tyron (if he can't stay healthy) = $9.9 million ($5.3 million dead)
So there is ~$30 to ~$44 million available in 2022 to be freed from those 5 players alone.

And while this WILL change between now and then, we are scheduled to have $49 million in "effective" ($65 mill total) cap space in in 2022. Again, this will go down a bit even if we don't sign any big time free agents (to include Dak) due to draft picks.

So can we pay Dak and still rebuild around him? Yes. But it will have to be through the draft for 2021 and 2022.

Now we can sign 2, MAYBE 3, "good" Free Agents if we don't sign Dak and PRAY they work out. I mean, most fans wanted Everson Griffen, but I am wondering if he even dresses on Sunday (I know he does, but his biggest contribution so far is acting a fool to the camera during the Atlanta onside kick recovery). I believe there is a reason 95+% of free agents don't end up being the "game changers" fans believe they will be, and that is due to teams RARELY allowing a difference maker to walk, especially in their prime.

But then we are left with a HUGE hole in the most important position in all of sports. Ya, you can use our 1st Round pick that we should be using to try and get a defensive playmaker anyways and instead draft a QB and PRAY he works out. If he doesn't, then all that "extra money" will be completely useless because our franchise will be several years away just due to the QB at that point.

I'm not going to say Dak is irreplaceable, but I will say that replacing Dak is much more riskier and difficult than keeping Dak and trying to rebuild around him with "limited" cap space.

Either way, it will not be quick and/or easy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’ve been a fan for almost 60 years . A few down decades isn’t running me off. I’m here to steer us in a better direction while calling out the causes.

I'm here too.. Unfortunately being here means losing @ home to the Cleveland Browns....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sky is not falling. Even if this year turns out bad, it doesn't condemn us to years of losing seasons. Hell, we went from 4-12 to 13-3 in consecutive seasons not long ago.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’ve been a fan for almost 60 years . A few down decades isn’t running me off. I’m here to steer us in a better direction while calling out the causes.
really steer? who a forum of insane fans or the team lol the tams not reading or listening..

nothing said here will effect the team the real one not the Ff type..

Garett was finally fired and now MM got 4 games and now is bust INSANE fans

i refuse to jump into the negativity pool full of the goop that oozes pessimism on a daily basis... seriously remember NYC is Ghostbusters , thats this forum right now being so toxic its destroying fandom for the rest of us..

Ill mock a bad play a bad player a bad game for sure we can debate that forever but calling for every coach, player, FO member, Owner. and whomever designs the uniforms, to be fired or traded =insanity

did i miss anyone?

oh wait the staff beta riders who are accused of being homers fire them !! lmao

blumayne38

Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far with it :laugh:. But I do think MM has been disappointing to this point.
Is it really that hard to protect your defense with a ball control , time of possession type offense?
I would. It makes sense. Why else would they bring MM in????? What if this team was 3-1 in this division? We would be talking a lot different. You are what you’re record says you are. And we are trash. This team is a disappointment. Only good thing’s about this are. It’s still early in the season and the division is trash.

blumayne38

Reaction score
really steer? who a forum of insane fans or the team lol the tams not reading or listening..

nothing said here will effect the team the real one not the Ff type..

Garett was finally fired and now MM got 4 games and now is bust INSANE fans

i refuse to jump into the negativity pool full of the goop that oozes pessimism on a daily basis... seriously remember NYC is Ghostbusters , thats this forum right now being so toxic its destroying fandom for the rest of us..

Ill mock a bad play a bad player a bad game for sure we can debate that forever but calling for every coach, player, FO member, Owner. and whomever designs the uniforms, to be fired or traded =insanity

did i miss anyone?

oh wait the staff beta riders who are accused of being homers fire them !! lmao
MM is trash and will/should be fired

fivetwos

Reaction score
That's an interesting take, and by all means a personal choice. Dont take my response as meaning I disagree or am poking fun. I truly find it I interesting to be put that way. Seriously.

Under this method you can be a lot like Garrett....and repeat the same things over and over.

In this case, the word "Jerry" will do just fine.

This DOES tend to put things in proper perspective honestly.

Big D

Reaction score
I would. It makes sense. Why else would they bring MM in????? What if this team was 3-1 in this division? We would be talking a lot different. You are what you’re record says you are. And we are trash. This team is a disappointment. Only good thing’s about this are. It’s still early in the season and the division is trash.

Let's see if MM can get a handle on ball security. If we can not shoot ourselves in the foot we should go on a run. It being said that we have the easiest remaining schedule. It's not how you start but how you finish.

phildadon86

Reaction score
In one breath he talks about wasted money on defensive guys and Zeke. Then comes to the conclusion that we shouldn’t pay dak because of it. Lol
Yeah lets not play our best player on offense currently. Good call.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's an interesting take, and by all means a personal choice. Dont take my response as meaning I disagree or am poking fun. I truly find it I interesting to be put that way. Seriously.

Under this method you can be a lot like Garrett....and repeat the same things over and over.

In this case, the word "Jerry" will do just fine.

This DOES tend to put things in proper perspective honestly.
I think we must have a lot of internet fans that abandon their local or regional teams cause they suk. IDK but some fans in this site don’t understand how we can be so unhappy with our franchise but still be a fan.

Well, for most of 4 decades I went to all of the home games living about 15-20 minutes from the stadium. And will always be my team regardless if I like our owner and the moving pieces of any particular team.

It’s like having a problem child or family member. You always hope they will eventually find their way but you don’t stop offering your insight to what could steer them in a better direction and you never lose interest while you can attempt to detach your emotions somewhat to ease the pain of frustration and disappointment.

Sydla

Reaction score
We have not spent much money on WR. This myth really must die. I mean Gallup, Lamb, Wilson and Brown make chicken scratch. And Cooper? Stop looking at the end price tag. His deal is really just a 2 year, $40MM contract. It's actually pretty team friendly compared to other top WR contracts.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Optimism you ask?

Well 2021 sucks cap wise no way around that. We currently are scheduled to have $16 million in "effective" cap space ($21 million total) with Cooper, Elliott and Lawrence are all basically uncutable due to them costing us more not to play than to stick around.

But "high profile" players that can be cut and increase cap space before 2021:
  • Jaylon = $400k
  • Poe = $4 million
  • Chris Jones = $2 million
  • Anthony Brown = $2.75 million
  • Zuerlein = $2.16 million
FYI, 2021 is the last year of LVE's contract and does not save or cost us anything to keep around.

I mean, that is not a whole lot, but it is something ....

Surprisingly though, 2022 COULD be a purge year. Here is the Cap saving for the following if cut pre-June 1st:
  • Cooper = $16 million ($6 million dead)
  • Elliott = $5.7 million ($10.8 million dead)
  • Lawerence = $8 million ($19 million dead)
  • Jaylon (if he is survives 2021) = $5 million ($6.8 million dead)
  • Tyron (if he can't stay healthy) = $9.9 million ($5.3 million dead)
So there is ~$30 to ~$44 million available in 2022 to be freed from those 5 players alone.

And while this WILL change between now and then, we are scheduled to have $49 million in "effective" ($65 mill total) cap space in in 2022. Again, this will go down a bit even if we don't sign any big time free agents (to include Dak) due to draft picks.

So can we pay Dak and still rebuild around him? Yes. But it will have to be through the draft for 2021 and 2022.

Now we can sign 2, MAYBE 3, "good" Free Agents if we don't sign Dak and PRAY they work out. I mean, most fans wanted Everson Griffen, but I am wondering if he even dresses on Sunday (I know he does, but his biggest contribution so far is acting a fool to the camera during the Atlanta onside kick recovery). I believe there is a reason 95+% of free agents don't end up being the "game changers" fans believe they will be, and that is due to teams RARELY allowing a difference maker to walk, especially in their prime.

But then we are left with a HUGE hole in the most important position in all of sports. Ya, you can use our 1st Round pick that we should be using to try and get a defensive playmaker anyways and instead draft a QB and PRAY he works out. If he doesn't, then all that "extra money" will be completely useless because our franchise will be several years away just due to the QB at that point.

I'm not going to say Dak is irreplaceable, but I will say that replacing Dak is much more riskier and difficult than keeping Dak and trying to rebuild around him with "limited" cap space.

Either way, it will not be quick and/or easy.
Great post!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The offense has many weapons and will be fine no matter who is at QB. We can score points without having to rely on a great QB. I like Dak and hope he signs a team friendly deal. If not, there will be other QBs available.

Offense needs to quit turning the ball over. Simple.

Defensive players need to man up and play like professionals or sit the bench. Coach needs to sit some non-performers and make an example.