Our future QB playing right now...Wentz

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
QB is always over drafted. 4 may be too soon but he won't last till the middle of the round. Not anointing him just the way it goes most times with qb's. To me he should have a second rnd grade but he is a QB and you can throw logic out the window

QBs are overdrafted in the first mainly because the necessity to get that option year a must if you intend to develop for more than a year or so.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Supply ---Demand..........QB deficient teams forced to take a potential franchise QB. Just like Houston may look at Hackenburg due to O'Brien ties as well as need. Don't be surprised if at least 4 or even 5 QBs go in first round.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Wentz looked pretty average to me. He's not going to be able to run out of the pocket against NFL talent. It definitely looked like him being inconsistent us fairly accurate. He doesn't look nearly like a top 10 pick right now.

tm1119

Reaction score
Wentz is nowhere near Goff. He's a nice prospect and a lot of tools are there no doubt, but he's not a top 10 pick to me. If we traded down to the teens for a boatload of picks somehow I'd definitely be all for taking him though.

goshan

Reaction score
He looked ok. Looks more like a 3rd round pick to me.
He won't be able to run like that in NFL - isn't fast or quick enough against that talent level.
Accuracy was inconsistent.
Agree he has strong intangibles, is athletic and good arm.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Division 2?

That's a long hop to the NFL
It worked out for Warner (Northern Iowa), and Romo (Eastern Illinois) not saying that Wentz will be either of these guys though it's a long hop for even division 1 players to succeed and there are plenty of examples of this.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Off the charts.
He played pretty well minus the two picks in which one he forced down field and the other one that was tipped but he's most definitely have scouts in a frenzy at his physical tools.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
My guess is he is taken in the first. SF may just stand pat and draft him. They won't cute.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like how he can make all the throws with real zip,there is no doubt in my mind that he will go high.THe senior bowl is going to be more important for him playing with way better opposition.

btcutter

Reaction score
Well, Wentz is projected as a 2nd round, and moving up quick to a 1st round.
Moore was undrafted, and spent how many years with Detroit, 3? not seeing the field, and would have been out of football most likely if not for Linehan bringing him here.

Not a good comparison IMO.

What I worry is that he's going to fly up the board to top 10 when he really should go in 2nd or 3rd. QB way over drafted especially ones people discover closer to the draft.

My guess is he is taken in the first. SF may just stand pat and draft him. They won't cute.

Maybe but if Kelly becomes SF coach he may think Kapernick is salvageable and run his read offense.

gmoney112

Reaction score
What I worry is that he's going to fly up the board to top 10 when he really should go in 2nd or 3rd. QB way over drafted especially ones people discover closer to the draft.

Maybe but if Kelly becomes SF coach he may think Kapernick is salvageable and run his read offense.

Doubt it. I can't see Kaep and Chipper not butting heads.

If he goes to SF I'd fully expect them to jump us for Goff. He'd be a very good fit for a Kelly offense

As far as Wentz. I was disappointed. I think if you put Cook at ND State he'd probably have insane stats.

Wentz has some physical tools, like most draftable QB's, but he's very overrated on this board. In reality, he's a top 50 player in this draft. He may get taken in the first out of desperation, but if he has to start he's going to really struggle. I'm definitely not wasting a prime pick on him. If we can trade down and pick up a 2nd and 3rd I'd probably be cool with it.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Just for the sake of accuracy...

NDSU is an FCS school, the old Division I-AA, which a far cry from Division II. I'm not even sure Div II schools can offer full scholarships.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think he's a prime target for the Texans in the current state of the draft order. There's an obvious connection to Hackenberg, but they wouldn't draft him that high.

conner01

Reaction score
QBs are overdrafted in the first mainly because the necessity to get that option year a must if you intend to develop for more than a year or so.

Good point. It is a huge factor but also the fact there are so many teams every year needing qb's. Supply and demand and it's just so few really good ones coming out each year. Lots of reasons but the option year is a huge one

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I think he's a prime target for the Texans in the current state of the draft order. There's an obvious connection to Hackenberg, but they wouldn't draft him that high.

You never know. QB's who show out well at the combine always rise before the draft, and Hack's got all the tools to be a franchise signal caller. He's struggled under James Franklin the past 2 seasons behind an atrocious O-Linwe, but showed a lot of promise his freshman year under O'Brien. Bill might believe he can recreate that success as his coach. Not saying it's likely, but wouldn't be shocked if he went late 1st to Houston.