Our future QB playing right now...Wentz

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Those that knock him for poorer competition in Div 2........well, his teammates are also not Div 1 quality, so think if he had an Amari Cooper catching or Elliiott running behind him. Better OL.

You gotta see it both ways. The guy will go in the first round-----how high remains to be seen. But my guess is it would be top 10 for sure.

Good points.

We could think about swapping firsts with a 9-11 pick, and add a second rounder; probably still get Wentz. Would need to feel confident about who the other teams are taking through #10, and could still get blindsided by a trade-up.

I'm not confident that Cook or Hack are viable alternatives, and would therefore be afraid to get too cute and miss out on a franchise QB. If there was much uncertainty about who the first 10 or 12 picks will be, I would just get our QB at 4, and move on.

The FO may be all in after the Sr Bowl, if their relationship with Wentz is already solid.

This questions the BPA philosophy, which mandates trust in your scouting dept, and commitment to their assigned player values. So if the BPA is a position that we already have covered, and there are obvious needs and players available that fit, we would stick with BPA.

The Most Important or Impactful Player available (MIPA) would be more prudent, ranking players with the additional criterion of need, or team impact.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good points.

We could think about swapping firsts with a 9-11 pick, and add a second rounder; probably still get Wentz. Would need to feel confident about who the other teams are taking through #10, and could still get blindsided by a trade-up.

I'm not confident that Cook or Hack are viable alternatives, and would therefore be afraid to get too cute and miss out on a franchise QB. If there was much uncertainty about who the first 10 or 12 picks will be, I would just get our QB at 4, and move on.

The FO may be all in after the Sr Bowl, if their relationship with Wentz is already solid.

This questions the BPA philosophy, which mandates trust in your scouting dept, and commitment to their assigned player values. So if the BPA is a position that we already have covered, and there are obvious needs and players available that fit, we would stick with BPA.

The Most Important or Impactful Player available (MIPA) would be more prudent, ranking players with the additional criterion of need, or team impact.

I agree on Cook and Hack. One of the things Ive brought up with these guys is football character. Its a huge thing with QBs.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Division 2?

That's a long hop to the NFL

NDSU is not Division 2. It's Division 1 AA (renamed Division 1 FCS), in basketball these schools go to the NCAA tournament as Duke, Kentucky, ect.

And it's more than just Romo and Flacco. It's Steve McNair, Phil Simms, Doug Williams, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chad Pennington (Marshall moved up after he left). Probably tons more. Not saying it's an easy jump, but every so often there's a prospect worth taking high

Wood

Reaction score
Wentz looked pretty average to me. He's not going to be able to run out of the pocket against NFL talent. It definitely looked like him being inconsistent us fairly accurate. He doesn't look nearly like a top 10 pick right now.

in fairness I want to see him against Senior Bowl competition before solidifying an opinion.

Plankton

Reaction score
Wentz is an intriguing prospect, but people are going way overboard on him. He has started only one full season. He has a lot of tools, but will need a ton of work. I wouldn't draft him at 4, and likely wouldn't in Round 1. To me, the only one's worth a pick at 4 are Goff and Lynch, and I'm borderline on Lynch at 4.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Wentz is an intriguing prospect, but people are going way overboard on him. He has started only one full season. He has a lot of tools, but will need a ton of work. I wouldn't draft him at 4, and likely wouldn't in Round 1. To me, the only one's worth a pick at 4 are Goff and Lynch, and I'm borderline on Lynch at 4.

Goff is the most polished, most accurate QB in this draft class............he just doesn't have the size or athleticism of Lynch or Wentz.

If Goff is sitting there at pick 4, I take him................end of discussion in the war room.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Is nobody concerned Brock Jensen, the prior QB at ND St who kept Wentz on the bench, was better in their system and went undrafted in 2014? Will be in the CFL this year.

Wentz has pretty pedestrian accuracy numbers. I'd expect much better from someone with his physical skills vs that level of competition. It's not like ND St really attacks downfield.

KB1122

Reaction score
That would surprise me....or not

Has there ever been a quarterback who made it or didn't based on a small-school background? Certainly there are plenty that played lower division or small conference football who didn't have the talent. But Simms, McNair, Flacco, Roethlisberger ... etc.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Has there ever been a quarterback who made it or didn't based on a small-school background? Certainly there are plenty that played lower division or small conference football who didn't have the talent. But Simms, McNair, Flacco, Roethlisberger ... etc.

I'm normally one that goes against big school bias,but it's usually between that silly power 5 vs non power 5 crap.

This is sub division vs division 1 (so you can easily remove Big Ben from your list..his school has always been D-1)
Still some great ones for that level but pretty rare.
It would never mean someone can't make it big. It just means the odds are way longer.

If they can play, they can play.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I still have him as the no 3,he has a golden chance to change our mind in the senior bowl

chuch

Reaction score
I'm normally one that goes against big school bias,but it's usually between that silly power 5 vs non power 5 crap.

This is sub division vs division 1 (so you can easily remove Big Ben from your list..his school has always been D-1)
Still some great ones for that level but pretty rare.
It would never mean someone can't make it big. It just means the odds are way longer.

If they can play, they can play.

Furthermore NDSU has as many losses as national championships over the past five years. The team had a perfect record over the duration of the season when Wentz was out.

If you're just looking at the player, his mechanics and his decision making (categories where there are significant issues) this shouldn't matter but if you're going to assess the player based on stats it's worth noting that this team as a whole is significantly better than their competition.

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm just as unimpressed with Wentz as the rest of the QBs.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I'm just as unimpressed with Wentz as the rest of the QBs.

The college game ain't pumping out Franchise QB's anymore. Next year is worse. You might have to grab the best of the rest and build a team around him.

Gaede

Reaction score
The college game ain't pumping out Franchise QB's anymore. Next year is worse. You might have to grab the best of the rest and build a team around him.

Totally understand this line of thought. However, I hate the idea of drafting someone I don't really like just because we need to. Let the future work itself out; we need to draft the best player right now