Our institutional secrecy is terrible

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree. I also thought it was a terrible strategy to show we were interested in a QB at 4. I believe that's part of the reason the Rams and eagles traded up to one and two. To make sure Dallas didn't get a good young QB

It's not like the Rams and Eagles didn't have a need to pick a QB. Their strategy doesn't revolve around denying the Cowboys a need over filling a need of their own. The Cowboys could do a better job keeping their business plans from getting out but let's not go thinking everyone is out to get us.

Ken

Reaction score
Unlike other teams (New England comes to mind), it seems like other teams know who our picks are going to be before we make them. Unlike San Diego with Bosa, pretty much everyone knew we wanted Zeke. Likewise, CLE and TEN seemed to know we wanted Ogbah and Dodd. And Oakland traded up above us for Cook and the Dallas war room was deflated. Maybe it's because we typically draft who visits us, or maybe it's because we are too cozy with local media guys like Werder or Broaddus who leak what they are "hearing." But this is becoming a big problem IMO.

I disagree. Everyone thought we wanted Ramsey @4. Baltimore tried trading with us to take Zeke....they would even try if they knew we would take him over Ramsey.

Browns took Ogbah because they agreed with our analysis. They didn't take him because we were...that is ridiculous.

Everyone was shocked at Jaylen.

Cook may be the only one but all teams have visits and all teams understand where guys may go and what round. They paid to move in front of us...

I am actually impressed how well they have cloaked their intentions.

Proximo

Reaction score
Cleveland and Tennessee who picked before the Cowboys took players for their teams to spite the Cowboys?

Huh

Ha. Not only that bro, but it's part of the reason the Rams and Eagles traded their futures away to get to picks 1& 2; to make sure Dallas wouldn't get a good young QB. LOL

2nd post in the thread. You can't make this stuff up.

:laugh:

Reaction score
I disagree. Everyone thought we wanted Ramsey @4. Baltimore tried trading with us to take Zeke....they would even try if they knew we would take him over Ramsey.

Browns took Ogbah because they agreed with our analysis. They didn't take him because we were...that is ridiculous.

Everyone was shocked at Jaylen.

Cook may be the only one but all teams have visits and all teams understand where guys may go and what round. They paid to move in front of us...

I am actually impressed how well they have cloaked their intentions.

There was talk that we tried to trade up to 32 with CLE; but did not. Likely because CLE knew we wanted Ogbah.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
During the Cowboys pre draft press conference Jerry talked down RB and he and Garrett gushed over Ramsey. Obviously QB, DE and RB were needs and every teams needs are known. It looked as if it would be between Zeke and Ramsey but no one knew for sure who it would be until their name was called.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Our 2nd rounder was a fallback; we would have taken Ogbah and Dodd if they were available.

It's not like we only had two names on our board and it's not like Ogbah and Dodd weren't rated highly by just about every 4-3 team.

plasticman

Reaction score
Its pretty brave (or reckless) of posters to form such an adamant opinion of a player before he ever participates in a single NFL play.

This forum's archives go back 10 years. If you are wrong about a player it will hang over your head for a decade.

Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick. Brady was a 6th. Staubach had to wait 6 years to play because of a military commitment.

32 teams passed on Tony Romo......7 times.

It may seem relatively safe to predict a mundane career for Connor Cook....but not completely safe. The more adamant you are in your opinion, the harder you will get hammered if you are wrong.

And, no, I dont need to be reminded again about my opinion of Stephen McGee. Suffice it to say, its a friendly warning from someone who was once on the wrong side of prophesy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. I also thought it was a terrible strategy to show we were interested in a QB at 4. I believe that's part of the reason the Rams and eagles traded up to one and two. To make sure Dallas didn't get a good young QB

What if the Cowboys didn't want those quarterbacks,

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Its pretty brave (or reckless) of posters to form such an adamant opinion of a player before he ever participates in a single NFL play.

This forum's archives go back 10 years. If you are wrong about a player it will hang over your head for a decade.

Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick. Brady was a 6th. Staubach had to wait 6 years to play because of a military commitment.

It may seem relatively safe to predict a mundane career for Connor Cook....but not completely safe. The more adamant you are in your opinion, the harder you will get hammered if you are wrong.

And, no, I dont need to be reminded again about my opinion of Stephen McGee. Suffice it to say, its a friendly warning from someone who was once on the wrong side of prophesy.

Process over results.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Either we're loose-lipped doofuses or our poker game is causing teams to trade up. We don't know for a fact that we would've drafted those guys. Maybe that was our plan all along. Hard to really prove anything when it comes to the draft.

BigD5

Reaction score
It's not like the Rams and Eagles didn't have a need to pick a QB. Their strategy doesn't revolve around denying the Cowboys a need over filling a need of their own. The Cowboys could do a better job keeping their business plans from getting out but let's not go thinking everyone is out to get us.

It's awful strange how all these teams that need or want QBs and Dallas is the team that keeps getting jumped in front of. Carson Wentz went from barely known division II player to the 2nd pick in the draft? Goff and Wentz were hugely over drafted. They are really mid to late 1st rounders. And Wentz is really a project. Denver jumps Dallas for Lynch. Oakland who doesn't even need a QB moves up in front of Dallas and takes Cook. Sorry if

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's awful strange how all these teams that need or want QBs and Dallas is the team that keeps getting jumped in front of. Carson Wentz went from barely known division II player to the 2nd pick in the draft? Goff and Wentz were hugely over drafted. They are really mid to late 1st rounders. And Wentz is really a project. Denver jumps Dallas for Lynch. Oakland who doesn't even need a QB moves up in front of Dallas and takes Cook. Sorry if

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm glad the Cowboys didn't make a reach for one of those guys. Letting Dak Prescott fall to them in the 4th round was an excellent pick.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

You are warning people not to take a stand out of fear they will be found wrong?