Our institutional secrecy is terrible

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Unlike other teams (New England comes to mind), it seems like other teams know who our picks are going to be before we make them. Unlike San Diego with Bosa, pretty much everyone knew we wanted Zeke. Likewise, CLE and TEN seemed to know we wanted Ogbah and Dodd. And Oakland traded up above us for Cook and the Dallas war room was deflated. Maybe it's because we typically draft who visits us, or maybe it's because we are too cozy with local media guys like Werder or Broaddus who leak what they are "hearing." But this is becoming a big problem IMO.

We have a very predictable drafting pattern of taking the guys who visit us, as you mentioned, plus we have a large circus of media followers that are paying close attention to us and that isn't the case with most teams. No team is under the scrutiny that we are each and every year.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Then how in the world did we get Tyron? Fredrick? Martin? Why didn't someone draft Leary in the 7th? Same with Beasely? The list goes on.

Read your post out loud a couple of times and comprehend how ridiculous you sound. You're not being objective.

EVERY team is aware of EVERY teams' needs.

Why dont YOU read your last sentence out loud and tell me again who's being ridiculous, even with acoustics in your mother's basement you should never espose absolutes.
I guess it's back to your cartoons and bodily fluids stained Jerry Jones posters.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Unlike other teams (New England comes to mind), it seems like other teams know who our picks are going to be before we make them. Unlike San Diego with Bosa, pretty much everyone knew we wanted Zeke. Likewise, CLE and TEN seemed to know we wanted Ogbah and Dodd. And Oakland traded up above us for Cook and the Dallas war room was deflated. Maybe it's because we typically draft who visits us, or maybe it's because we are too cozy with local media guys like Werder or Broaddus who leak what they are "hearing." But this is becoming a big problem IMO.

That's more perception than anything IMO. For ex., think about the players you mentioned Ogbah, and Dodd. Everybody knows Dallas needed DEs, and both of those players were slotted to go around the Cowboy's pick at 34. This is nothing but connect the dots reporting.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I agree. I also thought it was a terrible strategy to show we were interested in a QB at 4. I believe that's part of the reason the Rams and eagles traded up to one and two. To make sure Dallas didn't get a good young QB

C'mon man, everybody knew for months Dallas wanted a QB at 4. This is the age of social media, there is no secrets.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Not rueing; I think many are happy we didn't take him. But I am rueing that Oakland knew we wanted him. That was clear from the reaction in the Dallas war room...

Where, or who exactly said Dallas wanted Cook? I only heard they Prescott. Do you have a link?

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
It was so obvious from the beginning that we needed QB. I mean com'on. Romo goes down and we go 1-12 without him. Everybody was talking about it in the media. Everybody knew we needed a QB.

jjktkk

Reaction score
The Joneses are inept from first to last.

Not the past few days. I was pissed they didn't draft Goff, Lynch, or Wentz, but after thinking about it, they did a solid job with the draft this year. Although I'll understand the criticizing of the Smith pick at 34.

jjktkk

Reaction score
It was so obvious from the beginning that we needed QB. I mean com'on. Romo goes down and we go 1-12 without him. Everybody was talking about it in the media. Everybody knew we needed a QB.

Shhh, you're not suppose to mention this. it's a secret.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I know its so long ago in the distant past of..... two days ago, but my memory is that everyone had us taking Jalen Ramsey.

I was convinced we were taking Ramsey until I watched JG give Gary Brown a fist pump 10 minutes before the draft in the war room. At that point, it was pretty obvious who the pick was going to be.

Garret

Reaction score
I agree. I also thought it was a terrible strategy to show we were interested in a QB at 4. I believe that's part of the reason the Rams and eagles traded up to one and two. To make sure Dallas didn't get a good young QB

Haha I didn't think we would take Zeke or really want him that high. But some of you guys arguments are hilarious!!!! Thanks for the laugh

I think problem is Jerrys relationship with Papa John I think he really makes the picks .don't blame Jerry blame the pizza !!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I for one am happy that we kinda telegraphed our picks...........that is because we need to be saved from ourselves in a lot of situations.

We almost gutted our draft for freaking Lynch until Elway and the Broncos saved us and then we almost drafted Cook until Oakland saved us.

We should be sending Denver and Oakland some fruit baskets along with thank you notes, not be pissed that they jumped us or knew our board.