Our institutional secrecy is terrible

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Think how the Giants feel, EVERYONE knew they wanted Leonard Floyd. The Bears were like "Oh we just have to trade up in front of the Giants to get him"

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lmao. Connor Cook is garbage. Dak's upside is light years better and he isn't afraid to lead his team.

That's your opinion and opinions vary but every ranking "I've seen" has Cook ranked ahead of Prescott. Some had Cook as the 4th rated QB in this draft and I believe the Cowboys would have taken him had he not gone off the board prior to their first 4th round pick.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
What if the Cowboys didn't want those quarterbacks,

It's not like the Cowboys spent more time with Dak than ANY other QB in this draft. People are assuming Cook is who they wanted, but people have been linking us to Dak for months now. There's a bunch of threads over in the draftzone to ptove it.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
That's your opinion and opinions vary but every ranking "I've seen" has Cook ranked ahead of Prescott. Some had Cook as the 4th rated QB in this draft and I believe the Cowboys would have taken him had he not gone off the board prior to their first 4th round pick.

Never a team captain. Call it what you will but that's VERY suspect to me. He will never lead his team anywhere. Career backup. You can print this and post it on the wall. I'm so thankful we didn't waste a pick on Cook.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Funny we wanted Cook, but what Linehan said on the Dak phone call tells me he was the target all along.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Never a team captain. Call it what you will but hat's VERY suspect to me. He will never lead his team anywhere. Career backup. You can print this and post it on the wall.

Never leading their team anywhere can be said for any of the QBs that have been drafted it's a crapshoot taking any QB. The odds are 50/50 that Goff will lead the Rams anywhere. He may not be any better than Bradford or he could be the next great NFL QB we'll just have to see. Cook might be suspect to you but he was ranked as the 4th best QB in this draft by many. You're certainly not going out on a limb saying he won't lead his team anywhere because they have their QB in Carr.

Cooks chances of being a solid starting QB for any NFL team is probably no better than Prescott's chances they're flawed like all QBs taken in the 4th round. Many were excited about Stephen McGee when we drafted him in the 4th round. He actually lasted longer in the league than all the QBs drafted after him. I'm not saying Prescott will be McGee but just like any QB drafted in the 4th round he's facing some long odds. It comes down to luck when you draft a QB this late.

Gameover

Reaction score
Unlike other teams (New England comes to mind), it seems like other teams know who our picks are going to be before we make them. Unlike San Diego with Bosa, pretty much everyone knew we wanted Zeke. Likewise, CLE and TEN seemed to know we wanted Ogbah and Dodd. And Oakland traded up above us for Cook and the Dallas war room was deflated. Maybe it's because we typically draft who visits us, or maybe it's because we are too cozy with local media guys like Werder or Broaddus who leak what they are "hearing." But this is becoming a big problem IMO.

People knew NE wanted Smith.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I agree. I also thought it was a terrible strategy to show we were interested in a QB at 4. I believe that's part of the reason the Rams and eagles traded up to one and two. To make sure Dallas didn't get a good young QB

None of those 2 will be good. NFL teams are just so desperate for a QB they will declare any generic QBs in college as the next best coming.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Unlike other teams (New England comes to mind), it seems like other teams know who our picks are going to be before we make them. Unlike San Diego with Bosa, pretty much everyone knew we wanted Zeke. Likewise, CLE and TEN seemed to know we wanted Ogbah and Dodd. And Oakland traded up above us for Cook and the Dallas war room was deflated. Maybe it's because we typically draft who visits us, or maybe it's because we are too cozy with local media guys like Werder or Broaddus who leak what they are "hearing." But this is becoming a big problem IMO.

Right...look at this tweet(sorry if posted)

David Moore ‏@DavidMooreDMN 3h3 hours ago
What Cowboys hoped to do in 2nd round: grab DE Emmanuel Ogbah & move back into upper half of round for LB Jaylon Smith. Cleveland thwarted.

So basically we get our plans ruined by one move and then go into panic mode and just take the guy despite the year off, etc. I feel like "seat of your pants" applies to our draft set up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Unlike other teams (New England comes to mind), it seems like other teams know who our picks are going to be before we make them.

Picking in the top 10 most everyone knows who everyone is taking before they make their pick. You have a few surprises like the Chargers taking Bosa but a lot of teams draft the player that everyone has penciled in for them. It comes down to knowing a teams needs and looking at the players that are on the board that fit that team. Obviously the farther you get into the draft it becomes more difficult to predict what a player a team is going to take.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

This is why I laugh when people say Jerry is putting up a smokescreen or playing poker. He is one of the most transparent people in the league.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Him or Bosa seemed to be the pick I was seeing most predict. Very few had us taking EE at 4, from what I saw.

But now, everyone and their brother knew we were taking EE...

There was a sticky on this board at least 3 days before the draft saying no more EE threads were allowed.

Wood

Reaction score

I have been saying this for while. The Cowboys front office doesn't even attempt smoke screens...they literally tell you what they are going to do before they do it. Some would call it conviction while others would call it foolhardy.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Okay...and?

Well, it directly negates what you said.

Him or Bosa seemed to be the pick I was seeing most predict. Very few had us taking EE at 4, from what I saw.

But now, everyone and their brother knew we were taking EE...

Everyone and their brother were making new EE threads, because they knew the Cowboys were taking him.

Reaction score
How do you guys know what picks the Cowboys had in mind at each pick? Cmon Man.

It has come out afterward that we wanted Ogbah, and were going to trade back up for Smith. See tweet above. Also, it was clear from war room video that we wanted Cook until Oakland traded up. Cmon man.