Our oline is better than we think.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4720628 said:
Statements like this make me wonder if posters here actually watch teams besides the Cowboys.

Granted our OL ain't all that good, but others are the same or worse. Have to wonder if anyone saw Brees running for his life yesterday with what is supposed to be a 'good to great' OL.....Big Ben got sacked 5 times yesterday.

Sure we don't have the great wall of china around Romo, but some statements here are rather extreme.

I certainly admit I'm making that statement in a bit of a vacuum. It's not a comparison against the other 31 offensive lines in the league.

But on that first touchdown to Ogletree, Romo had to scramble out of a defender right about to hit him from behind, and throw the TD pass.

Same for the second pass. Romo is about to be hit, runs right, throws to Ogletree for the deep touchdown - and even then, the NY pass rusher had stepped back in the direction of Romo again and was a second or split-second away from a sack.

Then on that drive that ended in a TD to Austin, Romo has to scramble to his right, turn a bit, and then is in danger of being sacked by another defender - he throws it to Austin for a 8-yard gain or something like that.

That's just a few plays, there were others too.

First of all, this adds to the physical tiredness of a quarterback. All that running around, scrambling, turning, dodging - it is wearing down a QB's energy in a way that is unhelpful.

Secondly, when a QB has to twist, spin, duck and elude defenders, he's most likely losing sight of his receivers and the situation downfield. During that split second that he had to turn away from looking downfield, he then has to regain focus of what is happening again - it's simply, I think, an unhealthy measure of chaos for a quarterback's mind to process.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;4720615 said:
Cowboys definitely need to elimiinate the presnap penalties, but over the course of 30 pass attempts the OL did a great job of keeping Romo upright and inside a clean pocket as a whole. Particularly impressive is that the Giants only sacked Romo twice, and were unable to put him on the ground after the throw. This narrative that Romo was running for his life the entire night or that the OL would have given up 8+ sacks with a less mobile QB simply doesn't match cold, hard reality IMHO.

I'm much more disappointed in the # of penalties than I am the # of pressures given up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyRoy;4720412 said:
His snapshots are poor evidence of a game filled with jail break, romo running for his life, and a NUANCE of penalties by everyone on the line. Technology does not trump reality.

A few fancy snap shots of 4th quarter protection at selectivce times do not make up for a poor perfomance by the Oline.

Then provide snapshots to prove your points.....

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Red Dragon;4720641 said:
I certainly admit I'm making that statement in a bit of a vacuum. It's not a comparison against the other 31 offensive lines in the league.

But on that first touchdown to Ogletree, Romo had to scramble out of a defender right about to hit him from behind, and throw the TD pass.

Same for the second pass. Romo is about to be hit, runs right, throws to Ogletree for the deep touchdown - and even then, the NY pass rusher had stepped back in the direction of Romo again and was a second or split-second away from a sack.

Then on that drive that ended in a TD to Austin, Romo has to scramble to his right, turn a bit, and then is in danger of being sacked by another defender - he throws it to Austin for a 8-yard gain or something like that.

That's just a few plays, there were others too.

First of all, this adds to the physical tiredness of a quarterback. All that running around, scrambling, turning, dodging - it is wearing down a QB's energy in a way that a QB doesn't need in a game.

Secondly, when a QB has to twist, spin, duck and elude defenders, he's most likely losing sight of his receivers and the situation downfield. During that split second that he had to turn away from looking downfield, he then has to regain focus of what is happening again - it's simply, I think, an unhealthy measure of chaos for a quarterback's mind to process.

Well I agree with you, but like you say that is in a bit of a vacuum. I believe every great QB does those things, and while Romo has one of the quickest releases in the NFL, he does have a tendency to hold the ball looking for a big play (kinda like Big Ben does).

Its those moves in the pocket that have made Peyton and Brady so deadly, even though they aren't mobile, they make the moves you speak of to be the QBs that they are. Let's keep in mind, Romo ain't Vick here, he has alot of agility, but he isn't fast at all.

Its not like Romo all of sudden became this good at moving around, he's always had that, and that is an advantage to us. We upgraded the team in other areas, and while I was in the camp of wanting a FA center big time, we have to go with what we have now and not keep on harping on what we don't have just so we can look right if things go wrong in the future.

burmafrd

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4720494 said:
That's a fair approximation... "Adequate"

They weren't great the whole game. They weren't awful the whole game.

The second half was better than the first half.

I'd like them to be even better vs the Seahawks, but it's not like they stunk vs the Giants.

adequate at best is not a favorable comment; just in case some think that way

Ross made it clear that it wasn't anything anyone should be proud of

burmafrd

Reaction score
jazzcat22;4720654 said:

why should he? IR's snapshots proved nothing. So why should he have to prove something when the other side has nothing?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Keystone_Heavy;4720562 said:
Here is the issue, CowboyRoy. Its not even that a disagree with you. Its that your don't know how to argue.

You don't seem to understand that the facts that you percieve are not self evident. You don't seem to understand that stating you stance is not proving your stance. You don't seem to understand that attacking IR by calling him arrogant and a homer does not prove your point.

Provide some numbers. Provide something that can be quantified. For the love of God(s) use something solid proof.

interesting prospective that those saying that the O line was not doing well (something virtually every commentator on that game said as well) are supposedly the ones that have to show evidence.

While the used car salesmen (like Kevin Bacon in Animal House) are claiming ALL IS WELL

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4720643 said:
I'm much more disappointed in the # of penalties than I am the # of pressures given up.

I agree, the penalties were just plain horrible and need to be fixed although some might've been cause by the green center.

jazzcat22;4720654 said:

I don't even need snapshots, although what IR is providing is good to see, I know what happened in the game just tell me who he thinks had the bad game cause there are some that are easy to point out while others like Livings were actually solid.

jjktkk

Reaction score
burmafrd;4720674 said:
adequate at best is not a favorable comment; just in case some think that way

Ross made it clear that it wasn't anything anyone should be proud of

Wow! Are you serious Burmy? Adequate was just fine, considering the Oline not playing together in pre-season, and a brand new, backup, center, forced into action. Considering the legitimate circumstances I mentioned, what the heck we're you expecting out of this unit for one game?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4720682 said:
interesting prospective that those saying that the O line was not doing well (something virtually every commentator on that game said as well) are supposedly the ones that have to show evidence.

While the used car salesmen (like Kevin Bacon in Animal House) are claiming ALL IS WELL

But the other side has given a laundry-list in support of their position.

Repeatedly.

I understand the frustration with the offensive line from last season, but my gosh give some evidence of the offensive line being that bad on Wednesday night?

No one is being asked to split the atom here... Just support your position.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4720615 said:
Cowboys definitely need to elimiinate the presnap penalties, but over the course of 30 pass attempts the OL did a great job of keeping Romo upright and inside a clean pocket as a whole. Particularly impressive is that the Giants only sacked Romo twice, and were unable to put him on the ground after the throw. This narrative that Romo was running for his life the entire night or that the OL would have given up 8+ sacks with a less mobile QB simply doesn't match cold, hard reality IMHO.

You claim to have watched the game multiple times play by play. Are you turnoing off the sound? The theme of the announcers all night was how Romo was playing the role of a magician and using his mobility to escape out of harms way and extend the play. Did they EVER utter one time that the Cowboys Oline was playing well?

You live in a bubble obviously. "the Oline did a great job of keeping romo upright". LOL :laugh2:

One of several laughable quotes by you on this thread.

JerryFan

Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720351 said:
You are basically being laughed at by true blue cowboy fans on this thread. Thats the reality you are facing. Its not like we're Giant fans with a bias. We love the cowboys and would like nothing more than to watch the Oline play well. Its just a slap in the face to any true blue cowboy lover to hear a homer try to pawn off on any educated/realistic cowboy fan that the Oline played a good game. Its actually insulting. But its great for a laugh. :lmao2:

No buddy you're being laughed at and too dumb to realize it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4720628 said:
Statements like this make me wonder if posters here actually watch teams besides the Cowboys.

Granted our OL ain't all that good, but others are the same or worse. Have to wonder if anyone saw Brees running for his life yesterday with what is supposed to be a 'good to great' OL.....Big Ben got sacked 5 times yesterday.

Sure we don't have the great wall of china around Romo, but some statements here are rather extreme.

More low standard drivel. So what is your point? Other Olines cant block well, so why does it matter if our doesnt? LOL

Wow.........you really have been beaten down by horrid Oline play since being a cowboy fan the last 15 years eh?

Try to remember the good old days of the 90's when Aikman had all day and Emmitt had big holes to run through. Thats real Oline play. Thats SB Oline play.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720740 said:
You claim to have watched the game multiple times play by play. Are you turnoing off the sound? The theme of the announcers all night was how Romo was playing the role of a magician and using his mobility to escape out of harms way and extend the play. Did they EVER utter one time that the Cowboys Oline was playing well?

You live in a bubble obviously. "the Oline did a great job of keeping romo upright". LOL :laugh2:

One of several laughable quotes by you on this thread.

Well sometimes the best way to watch a game is to mute the announcers cause half of them don't know what they are talking about and have biases of their own, with only a few exceptions.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
JerryFan;4720741 said:
No buddy you're being laughed at and too dumb to realize it.

LOL......aw, whats the matter cant take it eh?

Mr Moderator, Mr Moderator, he called me dumb!!!!! :laugh2:

This thread is pretty much 3 guys claiming the Oline did good and the other 10 people laughing. The rest of the media is laughing also in case you dont up on other opinions.

But I dont need to resort to name calling to make my point.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720747 said:
More low standard drivel. So what is your point? Other Olines cant block well, so why does it matter if our doesnt? LOL

Wow.........you really have been beaten down by horrid Oline play since being a cowboy fan the last 15 years eh?

Try to remember the good old days of the 90's when Aikman had all day and Emmitt had big holes to run through. Thats real Oline play. Thats SB Oline play.

If you are looking for an OL like the days of Emmitt and Aikman, good luck cause there hasn't been one since they played and it sounds like you are living in the past when you say that.

Name the players who you had a problem with in the game, cause I will probably agree with you on certain players cause a number of them were bad. The problem I have with what you are saying is you saying they were horrible as a unit, which I do disagree with.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4720751 said:
Well sometimes the best way to watch a game is to mute the announcers cause half of them don't know what they are talking about and have biases of their own, with only a few exceptions.

right.........the pro announcers that have played the game all their life and are paid for thier opinions arent worth anything. Yet some completely biased, wishful cowboy fan like you isnt biased? Cmon, give us all a break.

Dont take it to heart buddy. Im sure the line will get better as the year goes on. IN fact, Im quite sure of it. But last game, wasnt a good game for them.

Although I was pleased to see them get better in the second half.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4720767 said:
If you are looking for an OL like the days of Emmitt and Aikman, good luck cause there hasn't been one since they played and it sounds like you are living in the past when you say that.

Name the players who you had a problem with in the game, cause I will probably agree with you on certain players cause a number of them were bad. The problem I have with what you are saying is you saying they were horrible as a unit, which I do disagree with.

I consider the 90s liine as one of the best of all time. So, no, I dont expect that. But greatness should always be the goal. Not adequate or serviceable.

First two plays of the game Beardaue whiffed on a block, then committed a penalty. I saw Smith get beat BADLY all game long. He also had 3 false starts of his own. Probably the worst game out of all the lineman. But granted, he was playing against Paul most of the time. Free is just mediocre to bad almost every game now. I was impressed by Ryan, but I freely admit I am 100% baised against Costa. Hate the guy. I really think he sucks. But considering the circumstance, Cook had a solid game.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720785 said:
I consider the 90s liine as one of the best of all time. So, no, I dont expect that. But greatness should always be the goal. Not adequate or serviceable.

First two plays of the game Beardaue whiffed on a block, then committed a penalty. I saw Smith get beat BADLY all game long. He also had 3 false starts of his own. Probably the worst game out of all the lineman. But granted, he was playing against Paul most of the time. Free is just mediocre to bad almost every game now. I was impressed by Ryan, but I freely admit I am 100% baised against Costa. Hate the guy. I really think he sucks. But considering the circumstance, Cook had a solid game.

Ok thats better, I agree on Tyron, and don't make excuses for him. I don't care how great JPP is, I also expect greatness from Tyron as well and didn't get it so we agree there.

Free wasn't good either, really gotta start wondering if he will improve at this point or if its a lost cause. Other than the beginning for the interior with Mack letting that guy go, I saw the interior as pretty solid most of the game under the circumstances.

The tackles have to improve, no question. Now it would be nice to have the interior be able to help them, but they had enough on their hands with Costa going out (who I'm not a fan of either).

Saying all of this though, says that they could be better as the season goes along. Certainly Tyron will play better, and hopefully the rest can gel together as the season goes along.