Our oline is better than we think.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4720503 said:
Well, jumping up and down saying they are bad doesn't show anything Roy, and you have said nothing to prove your case at all other than just trying to yell the loudest.

As for the performance, the tackles did struggle alot more than the interior, although this is something you don't mention. But mentions of the OL getting better as the game went along is a good sign for the future, and shouldn't be taken negatively like you are trying to portray it.

And btw, all this talk of 'if it wasn't for Romo' is meaningless......well Romo is our QB unless you want to call Bledsoe up so that you can prove the OL is bad.

Romo was sacked twice, the starting center left the game in the first quarter, the team ran up over 400 yds of offense against what is probably the best front in all of football and the defending champs at home.....and the oline still blows.....ok than....I'll take that sucky oline all the way to the playoffs thank you very much.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Keystone_Heavy;4720511 said:
Where is YOUR evidence? IR is actually providing evidence. You just keep repeating your opinion with no facts to back it up, thinking that your side is self evident and that all you need to do is keep repeating yourself to be correct.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. What a joke.

I think with this sort of debate (offensive line performance,) what would be needed is a lot of video clips that actually show things in action - i.e., Giants pass rushers breaking through the line, Romo being pursued.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4720494 said:
That's a fair approximation... "Adequate"

They weren't great the whole game. They weren't awful the whole game.

The second half was better than the first half.

I'd like them to be even better vs the Seahawks, but it's not like they stunk vs the Giants.

I agree. No one has claimed them as the top OL in the league. Going into the NY game I figured we would struggle at times this is not come chump defense we played and NY will give other OL trouble as well. My hope is this group who has played 1 game together will continue to grow and improve as we move forward. There is much work for ahead of them and some things they can feel good about coming out of the NY game

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Red Dragon;4720518 said:
I think with this sort of debate (offensive line performance,) what would be needed is a lot of video clips that actually show things in action - i.e., Giants pass rushers breaking through the line, Romo being pursued.

Thing is NY DL gets a lot of love from the media why? because they do this to a lot of teams they play. people act as if we played some poor team with a bad DL well we didn't we played a pretty darn good defensive front, we lost some battles and we won some at the end of the night we made more plays and won the war. Callahan has a lot of work to put in with these guys but they just faced a darn good Defense and walked out winners.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4720503 said:
Well, jumping up and down saying they are bad doesn't show anything Roy, and you have said nothing to prove your case at all other than just trying to yell the loudest.

As for the performance, the tackles did struggle alot more than the interior, although this is something you don't mention. But mentions of the OL getting better as the game went along is a good sign for the future, and shouldn't be taken negatively like you are trying to portray it.

And btw, all this talk of 'if it wasn't for Romo' is meaningless......well Romo is our QB unless you want to call Bledsoe up so that you can prove the OL is bad.

The game is the evidence. The penalties are the evidence. The 20 rushing yards in the first half are evidence.

And hand full of selected snap shots prove what exactly? Nothing more than that possibly, the Oline actually did their job on a handful of snaps in the fourth quarter. When the D was tired and we were running the ball and they had to defend the run.

Ive already submitted one article pointing out that we won despite the Oline. There are many more.

The Oline did better in the second half, thats all that can be said here. They were abysmal in the first half and adequate in the 2nd. The penalties continued however. Overall, the Oline had a bad game and we won in spite of thier game. Without question, that is the general view of most obververs including Cowboy beat writers. I can continue to post more artilces if it please you.

jday

Reaction score
This may have been pointed out already, but Romo makes this OL look alot better than what it actually is. His ability to predict who will come free, feel the pressure, and use his quickness to avoid the rush actually makes this whole offense look a lot better than what it really is...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Personally, I saw a lot of QBs buy time yesterday, and obviously, the more time you have, the bigger plays you can make. If a QB knows how to find more time in the pocket by moving, or running away from the pressure, that QB is going to have a dynamic day.

Most lines in the NFL aren't equipped with the arsenal to hold off world-class pass-rushers or blitz schemes. Only less than a hand full of teams have these types of lines.

When you look at the Super Bowl teams that played, bOTH QBs were under EXTREME pressure. Bottom line is, if you don't know how to read the defense fast, get the ball out, or escape pressure, you're doomed in today's NFL.

EDIT: This line was average, and an average line can win you a Super Bowl. I've seen it multiple times over the last few years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4720513 said:
Romo was sacked twice, the starting center left the game in the first quarter, the team ran up over 400 yds of offense against what is probably the best front in all of football and the defending champs at home.....and the oline still blows.....ok than....I'll take that sucky oline all the way to the playoffs thank you very much.

Thats EXACTLY what has been confirmed here in this thread. That you are perfectly happy with bad Oline play. This we can agree on.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720536 said:
Thats EXACTLY what has been confirmed here in this thread. That you are perfectly happy with bad Oline play. This we can agree on.

It wasn't bad. In 6 weeks when they have chemistry they will be average. Its clear your an inexperienced poster, personal attacks dont work in arguments. Atleast not on mature forums like here. Use facts, the argument the line played good is in the stats. Arguing they are not bad or average should be accepted universally.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jday;4720534 said:
This may have been pointed out already, but Romo makes this OL look alot better than what it actually is. His ability to predict who will come free, feel the pressure, and use his quickness to avoid the rush actually makes this whole offense look a lot better than what it really is...

Even with Tony's ability to "get loose", the offensive line allowed 2 sacks and only 7 hurries. That's 9 pressures total out of 32 snaps. That's not bad considering who they were facing.

The Giants allowed 17 pressures on 35 snaps.

New England allowed 15 pressures on 32 snaps.

Houston allowed 13 pressures on 32 snaps.

That's 3 playoff teams from last season.

Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720536 said:

Here is the issue, CowboyRoy. Its not even that a disagree with you. Its that your don't know how to argue.

You don't seem to understand that the facts that you percieve are not self evident. You don't seem to understand that stating you stance is not proving your stance. You don't seem to understand that attacking IR by calling him arrogant and a homer does not prove your point.

Provide some numbers. Provide something that can be quantified. For the love of God(s) use something solid proof.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think Collinsworth said it best in that Garrett will need to stick with the run in the 1st half because even though it may be ugly, come the second half it will start running on all cylinders. I liked the Benardeau signing and the positive I saw in the Livings signing was his pass protection. I just wasn't sold and I'm not sold on Costa. Hopefully, Cook can be the short-term fix.

YR

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720529 said:
The game is the evidence. The penalties are the evidence. The 20 rushing yards in the first half are evidence.

And hand full of selected snap shots prove what exactly? Nothing more than that possibly, the Oline actually did their job on a handful of snaps in the fourth quarter. When the D was tired and we were running the ball and they had to defend the run.

Ive already submitted one article pointing out that we won despite the Oline. There are many more.

The Oline did better in the second half, thats all that can be said here. They were abysmal in the first half and adequate in the 2nd. The penalties continued however. Overall, the Oline had a bad game and we won in spite of thier game. Without question, that is the general view of most obververs including Cowboy beat writers. I can continue to post more artilces if it please you.

Well, what your not seeing here is that noone is saying they played great, only that they got better as the game went along. Also, you are taking them as a whole, when really it was the tackles who struggled the most in this game.

If you were pointing at Tyron and Free, saying that had a bad game, thats more than acceptable to me cause its true cause more should be expected from them, especially Tyron. But all things considered, the interior played quite well and shouldn't be grouped into the play of the tackles.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4720513 said:

Yeah, I think its ignored how well they did do under the circumstances. Now I'm not happy with the tackles at all at the moment, all we can do is hope they will play better next time.

The OL were nowhere near perfect, and still needs a center to make the group average to good, but all we can do is go with what we got and move forward.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
FWIW, I have screen shots of the pocket from Romo's pass attempts for the first half as well. In that half the OL gave up 1 sack (Joseph), 3 penalties (all false starts), 0 QB knockdowns, 2 forced from pockets.

One forced from pocket was the Ogletree TD pass. The other was a the failed hot read pickup with an empty backfield against the blitz that I diagrammed here.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4720022&postcount=52

NdNhV.jpg

GpmQP.jpg

V1xc5.jpg

V1xc5.jpg

KNLe4.png

The INT
HfWOM.jpg

1QW20.jpg

5jzjc.jpg

SA24m.jpg

lxNig.jpg

hKRoR.jpg

LVyTP.jpg

oFP3R.jpg

Ogletree TD
nzJAO.jpg

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Cowboys definitely need to elimiinate the presnap penalties, but over the course of 30 pass attempts the OL did a great job of keeping Romo upright and inside a clean pocket as a whole. Particularly impressive is that the Giants only sacked Romo twice, and were unable to put him on the ground after the throw. This narrative that Romo was running for his life the entire night or that the OL would have given up 8+ sacks with a less mobile QB simply doesn't match cold, hard reality IMHO.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
When Romo has to continually elude pass rushers, to me that's a sign of an offensive line that is still lacking in many ways. Even against a front 4 like the Giants', a quarterback should not have to elude so many potential sacks per game.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Red Dragon;4720619 said:
When Romo has to continually elude pass rushers, to me that's a sign of an offensive line that is still lacking in many ways. Even against a front 4 like the Giants', a quarterback should not have to elude so many potential sacks per game.

Statements like this make me wonder if posters here actually watch teams besides the Cowboys.

Granted our OL ain't all that good, but others are the same or worse. Have to wonder if anyone saw Brees running for his life yesterday with what is supposed to be a 'good to great' OL.....Big Ben got sacked 5 times yesterday.

Sure we don't have the great wall of china around Romo, but some statements here are rather extreme.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4720615 said:
Cowboys definitely need to elimiinate the presnap penalties, but over the course of 30 pass attempts the OL did a great job of keeping Romo upright and inside a clean pocket as a whole. Particularly impressive is that the Giants only sacked Romo twice, and were unable to put him on the ground after the throw. This narrative that Romo was running for his life the entire night or that the OL would have given up 8+ sacks with a less mobile QB simply doesn't match cold, hard reality IMHO.

True and fact is Romo had the ability to run and escape pressure last year but that did not seem to stop the Giants. This time around offense took care of their business. Lot of work to do but we have already accomplished what we could not do last year and that is beat the giants.