Overrated and Underrated Actors and Actresses

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll take it to the bank, then, Darth. Have read the book, and have heard the hype. But Hollywood has me so scared of all these sequels. I do appreciate the feedback, I'll check it out.

I can't go into the Mega Movie thread because it triggers me.
Blade Runner 2049 may go down as an All Timer for. Havent had the opportunity for a rewatch, but I liken it somewhat to Apocalypse Now as a film you have to veiw a few times and peel layers back to get a completed sense of the work.

I focused alot on the dynamic between Gosling and DeArmas as basically an android (called Replicants in the film) couple. Gosling played a very monotone character, whereas Armas's character was effectively programmed to be the loving girlfriend/wife. Gosling got ripped a bit because the movie tanked financially and as the "star" he kinda took some of the fall. But he should have gotten an Oscar nom and probably should have been the favorite to win. He was exceptional. He did a great adding depth to a monotone character, and alot of that was De Armas

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think John Lithgow is extremely underrated. The guy has range in the type of characters he can play and play very well. I think 1992's Raising Cain really opened my eyes to his abilities.

I disagree that Hanks was overrated. He did a ton of stuff that had very wide range in acting skills.

Someone said Kevin Costner was underrated. I think for a good while, he was extremely overrated. He did the movie Wyatt Earp. Of course, his version was completely and utterly DESTROYED by Kurt Russell in Tombstone.

I will give him Field of Dreams, JFK, Bull Durham and Tin Cup. The rest I either didn't watch or thought he was okay, but nothing special.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I blew cigarette smoke into Sandler's face as he was pushing his baby with a stroller, right after the Kings beat the Ducks in game 2, and we had left the Pond and headed to Downtown Disney. I felt bad blowing smoke into the area of a child, didn't recognize it was him, and he was friendly and waved it off as I apologized before I realized it was him. Then I gawked and told my buddies, "GUYS I JUST BLEW CIGARETTE SMOKE IN ADAM SANDLER'S FACE AND HE WAS SO CHILL ABOUT IT"

With hat said, outside of his mid-late 90's films and Punch Drunk Love, and I guess 50 First Dates, his work is trash. But he's worth $400M, and in it for the money. His recent Netflix deal is proof in the pudding.
I loved him when his stuff random and shamelessly stupid like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore. That stuff was legitimately funny. But that only works for so long. Wedding Singer was pretty good though

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'm not certain how Leto and Waltz are considered underrated. Both are notable award nominees/winners and are also cast in big-budget films.
Name recognition. I understood what he meant.

And Leto is getting more known for his band than his acting. He was in some trashy films at first (Panic Room, cmon/and Fight Club is trash, emo teenager fun) before scoring big with Dallas Buyer Club. How many people have seen Requiem for a Dream? Not very many)

No one outside of film goers really knows who Waltz is. I live down the block from Studio City. I understood what he meant.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Blade Runner 2049 may go down as an All Timer for. Havent had the opportunity for a rewatch, but I liken it somewhat to Apocalypse Now as a film you have to veiw a few times and peel layers back to get a completed sense of the work.

I focused alot on the dynamic between Gosling and DeArmas as basically an android (called Replicants in the film) couple. Gosling played a very monotone character, whereas Armas's character was effectively programmed to be the loving girlfriend/wife. Gosling got ripped a bit because the movie tanked financially and as the "star" he kinda took some of the fall. But he should have gotten an Oscar nom and probably should have been the favorite to win. He was exceptional. He did a great adding depth to a monotone character, and alot of that was De Armas
I adore Ryan Gosling. I hate to admit it but it is on my list and has been. I will see this film. Thanks, Darth.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Under - rated actress ...
I blew cigarette smoke into Sandler's face as he was pushing his baby with a stroller, right after the Kings beat the Ducks in game 2, and we had left the Pond and headed to Downtown Disney. I felt bad blowing smoke into the area of a child, didn't recognize it was him, and he was friendly and waved it off as I apologized before I realized it was him. Then I gawked and told my buddies, "GUYS I JUST BLEW CIGARETTE SMOKE IN ADAM SANDLER'S FACE AND HE WAS SO CHILL ABOUT IT"

With hat said, outside of his mid-late 90's films and Punch Drunk Love, and I guess 50 First Dates, his work is trash. But he's worth $400M, and in it for the money. His recent Netflix deal is proof in the pudding.

That's funny. I do think it's great that he was cool about it. I agree, most of his movies are not very good. I do admire his loyalty. I guess he see's to it that his friends get roles in his movies. I always thought that was cool.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I loved him when his stuff random and shamelessly stupid like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore. That stuff was legitimately funny. But that only works for so long. Wedding Singer was pretty good though
All three of those films were so fun, Darth, my brother, same with Big Daddy. Some good ol' fun flicks. Then he did it over and over and over and over again

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
@LocimusPrime

my brudda, muh ninja, I edited #34. I messed up bro, my bad my boi
Comeon bro. It’s me. You never need to apologize for nada. Heck I’m always messing up. Sometimes on purpose :laugh::muttley:

I even told my girl about you. She told me I need to fly to LA and meet up w ya
I said hunzz... my forum homie is actually cooler than some of my real life homies

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Comeon bro. It’s me. You never need to apologize for nada. Heck I’m always messing up. Sometimes on purpose :laugh::muttley:

I even told my girl about you. She told me I need to fly to LA and meet up w ya
I said hunzz... my forum homie is actually cooler than some of my real life homies
My bro, got a room for you with clean linen all for yourself if you make it out here! Never used

lukin2006

Reaction score
Want to say, I love Hanks and DiCaprio. DiCaprio's performances in "Eating Gilbert Grape" as well as "Wolf" are top notch. Character-driven to the tee. But his general performances are formulaic and stale. Same with Hanks, altho his performances in "Castaway" and "Philadelphia" are incredible. "Private Ryan" was really good, but more of a testament to great directing, cinematography and editing. He wasn't really acting outside his range. Still, a solid performance. Still, he's overrated.

Morgan Freeman is overrated. Tom Cruise underrated (I have the same kind of view of he as Cage)

I might be the biggest Tom Hanks fan ... I've followed his career from Bosom Buddies on. Whats most impressive ... he might be the most genuine celebrity on the planet.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Scifi, unless it's by Rian Johnson, THE GREAT SHANE CARRUTH or Johnathon Glazer has almost zero interest for me. It needs to be thought-provoking, and most of current sci-fi falls flat. For me. No disrespect. Most of it is regurgitated remake part 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc etc etc remake remake remake

derivative bull ****
I always find the use of the word... wait - where did it go?
Did I imagine the word "derivative" being used in a post???

Uhh... nevermind.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I might be the biggest Tom Hanks fan ... I've followed his career from Bosom Buddies on. Whats most impressive ... he might be the most genuine celebrity on the planet.
I love him and his films, don't get me wrong. But he is often labelled as the "best actor" alive, which is so wrong, imo.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
dont know if he qualifies as "under-rated" but the first name I thought of was Robert Mitchum...especially his gritty,noir films.
Out of The Past is a favorite.
GREAT actor...loved his westerns too.
another favorite...Heaven Knows Mr. Allison.
You know he killed a guy in a bar fight before his acting career took off& I think he was a green reefer fan ,too!o_O

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Walken, Gandolfini, Cranston additional, underrated, amazing actors

Are we calling them underrated because they're not A-list/hyped, or because they are perceived as "bad" actors?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Walken, Gandolfini, Cranston additional, underrated, amazing actors

Are we calling them underrated because they're not A-list/hyped, or because they are perceived as "bad" actors?
I was present at Walken's hands being pressed into the concrete. Tarantino presented him. I felt so blessed at that moment...
Funny.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I definitely know DENNIS HOPPER was underappreciated.

Kris Kristofferson
is overrated in EVERYTHING.