Overrated/underrated actors

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
ethiostar;2700268 said:
I thought about putting him on my list but he just doesn't seem to get any roles anymore. But he is one of those actors that for some reason makes me mad every time i see him on the screen.

Same here. He sucks for sure....but there is one scene he was in...in a mediocre movie nonetheless...that makes me laugh my *** off every time I see it.

It's the scene where he's trying to impress Kate Beckinsale with a bottle of Champagne after she gets off work, and he proceeds to pop the cork into his freshly broken nose.....I'm not sure why, but I almost forgive him his crappy acting just for that scene alone. Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

....and then I get pissed off ten seconds later because of the super cheez lines he uses and I decide not to forgive him. He sucks. :)

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
jeremy sisto is underrated.

edward norton is as well.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Give Nick Cage a little credit for "Moonstruck". Maybe it was accidental, but he was tailor made for that part. And nobody, but NOBODY could've pulled off that "Raising Arizona" part better.

Other than that, yeah, he's mediocre at best.

Most underrated:

Gene Hackman
Hugh Jackman
Ed Harris
William Hurt
Liam Neeson

Most overrated:

Tom Cruise (By a landslide)
Brad Pitt
Julia Roberts (By a landslide)
Susan Sarandon (predictable and bad)
George Clooney (Tom Cruise lite)

Gene Hackman..............whatever role he plays, you FORGET he's Gene Hackman. THAT'S A GREAT ACTOR!!!!!

ethiostar

Reaction score
I forgot to put Forest Whitaker on the 'underrated' list. Yes, i know he's won an award for The Last King of Scotland' but i still think he is underrated, IMO.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
How is Keanu Reeves overrated? No one thinks he's any good (and he's not).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I don't really know what over rated means. I never have quite understood the concept. I think it means well thought of enough to be successful but not liked by a large group of people for whatever reason.

Under rated on the other hand is self explanatory. Here are some I think are very under rated.

Andre Braugher
Alan Rickman
Val Kilmer
Graham Greene

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lewpac;2700387 said:
Give Nick Cage a little credit for "Moonstruck". Maybe it was accidental, but he was tailor made for that part. And nobody, but NOBODY could've pulled off that "Raising Arizona" part better.
He was good in Adaption, that's about it.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Hostile;2700404 said:
I don't really know what over rated means. I never have quite understood the concept. I think it means well thought of enough to be successful but not liked by a large group of people for whatever reason.

Under rated on the other hand is self explanatory. Here are some I think are very under rated.

Andre Braugher
Alan Rickman
Val Kilmer
Graham Greene

Personally, by 'overrated' i meant actors who get a lot of press, exposure and are involved in big Hollywood production movies. They may be in Blockbuster movies that make a lot of money but are not really craftsmen per say. I think it's one of those terms/phrases that has a different connotation to different people. I probably should have done a better job of explaining that when i started the thread.

I can't believe i forgot Alan Rickman, he is one of my favorite actors and terribly underrated.

ethiostar

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2700425 said:
She's beautiful, but man, I'm not impressed.

She was decent in Monster's Ball but yeah she's not all that impressive as an actress. Like you said she is HOT though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ethiostar;2700413 said:
Personally, by 'overrated' i meant actors who get a lot of press, exposure and are involved in big Hollywood production movies. They may be in Blockbuster movies that make a lot of money but are not really craftsmen per say. I think it's one of those terms/phrases that has a different connotation to different people. I probably should have done a better job of explaining that when i started the thread.

I can't believe i forgot Alan Rickman, he is one of my favorite actors and terribly underrated.
I've never understood it for anything. I just don't get the concept of over rated. They get those roles because Producers know people will go see the movies.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Hostile;2700430 said:
I've never understood it for anything. I just don't get the concept of over rated. They get those roles because Producers know people will go see the movies.

Like i said, most, not all, are in mega blockbuster movies that do really well in the box office. Often it is because of their looks, sex appeal, popularity in gossip magazines, or particular kinds of movies such as action movies, think Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger here. Personally, I don't think that has much to do with acting talent per say but we watch them despite the fact because they maybe entertaining. I've watched just about every Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies but i wouldn't consider either one to be a good actor.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
underated (imo)
Channing Tatum
Sean Faris
Cam Gigandet (one of my favorite actors)
Daniel Craig
Vin Diesel
Jordana Brewster (megga hotty)

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Overated-

1-Tom Cruise, I will not watch any movie he is in. The guy is whacko and needs his butt kicked just because somebody can.

Dennis Quaid-Should never have been an actor---Why I ever have sat in his movies is beyond me. He is the cheesiest actor of all time. I swore during his last movie (can't remember the name about an assasination of the president overseas that kept starting over and over again) And the movie where his son is stuck in New York because water has flooded the city, his line to his son was, "Stay there Son, I will come for you!" Yea Right!! If only he would have been killed in that movie.

I actually like Nick Cage. Peggy Sue Got Married, The Family Man (but I do love Tea Leoni) , The Rock, are actually some of my favorite movies.

Underated-Only because they don't get attention other great actors do.

Keira Knightly
Liam Neeson
Jim Carey
John Lithgow

ethiostar

Reaction score
the kid 05;2700452 said:
underated (imo)
Channing Tatum
Sean Faris
Cam Gigandet (one of my favorite actors)
Daniel Craig
Vin Diesel
Jordana Brewster (megga hotty)

Did you mean to put him under your overrated section?;)