Overrated/underrated actors

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
ethiostar;2700478 said:
Did you mean to put him under your overrated section?;)

No way man, have you seen his work in pitch black and Chronicles of Riddick? B.A. movies that i didn't realize were tied together untell it was too late lol

ethiostar

Reaction score
the kid 05;2700487 said:
No way man, have you seen his work in pitch black and Chronicles of Riddick? B.A. movies that i didn't realize were tied together untell it was too late lol

I watched Chronicles of Riddick for one reason and one reason only....

http://i386.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo303/pumango/thandie_newton_1-1.jpg

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2700196 said:
Regardless of where they are rated....Nick Cage, Tom Cruise, Mark Whalberg, and Keanu Reeves are AWFUL actors IMO.

Not saying they aren't in some good movies...because each one has been in a few....just saying that overall, their acting is atrocious.
I agree with van wilder

FloridaRob

Reaction score
ethiostar;2700429 said:
She was decent in Monster's Ball but yeah she's not all that impressive as an actress. Like you said she is HOT though.

there was a movie she was in with Jessica Lang called Losing Isaiah where she had an awesome performance. Nothing wrong with Halle.

ethiostar

Reaction score
FloridaRob;2700510 said:
there was a movie she was in with Jessica Lang called Losing Isaiah where she had an awesome performance. Nothing wrong with Halle.

I had forgotten about that one, she was actually pretty good in that. She played the junkie really well.

MrMom

Reaction score
I think Joseph Gordon Levitt is underrated. Check out Brick and The Lookout.

I find Brad Pitt to be a bit overrated. I like him, but I think he just picks very good collaborators and good scripts. He has never wowed me, personally. Getting a nomination nod for Benjamin Button. Really?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
ethiostar;2700151 said:
Name actors who you think are overrated and underrated. I guess we can keep it to the last couple of decades or so. Also, for the overrated ones, i'm talking about actors that are considered good by the media and get good parts in movies but you personally believe they aren't that good.

To begin with, mine are and i'm sure i will be reminded of some more as this thread progresses, if it progresses:)

Overrated:
Tom Cruise
Kevin Costner
Keanu Reeves

Underrated:
Edward Norton
Philip Seymour
Christian Bale
Alfred Molina
Gary Olman

I think Will Smith said it best some years ago. When answering a question about "how great an actor he was?" HE REPLIED, "no, I am a movie star... I am not an actor yet" (he is a great actor now IMO)

Tom Cruise can act but he is more of a movie star.
Kevin Costner was GREAT in Field of Dreams - HE SOLD the movie. He was also good in No Way Out

Keanu is just a movie star.

kmp77

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2700414 said:
overrated (female)
Halle Berry

+1

She won and oscar for one of the worst acting performances I've ever seen. Still shocks me to this day.

Other overrateds:

Angelina Jolie
Jennifer Lopez
Sean Penn
Meryl Streep
Julia Roberts

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
kmp77;2700570 said:
+1

She won and oscar for one of the worst acting performances I've ever seen. Still shocks me to this day.

Other overrateds:

Angelina Jolie
Jennifer Lopez
Sean Penn
Meryl Streep
Julia Roberts

Meryl Streep... you gotta be kidding.

jem88

Reaction score
Overrated:

George Clooney
Brad Pitt
Tom Hanks

Underrated:

Steve Buscemi (my favourite actor, check out Trees Lounge)
David Thewliss (you might recognize him from Harry Potter, but you must see him in Naked)
John Turturro (Do The Right Thing and Barton Fink immediately come to mind.)
David Strathairn (Brilliant in Good Night and Good Luck, also excellent in Limbo)

However, it really depends how we define over/underrated, because guys like Turturro and Buscemi are certainly held in the highest regard among cinema buffs, but they tend not to play the stereotypical leading Hollywood roles (although Buscemi has provided amusing supporting turns in otherwise forgettable Hollywood fare, such as The Rock and The Wedding Singer.)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
jem88;2700643 said:
Overrated:

George Clooney
Brad Pitt
Tom Hanks

Underrated:

Steve Buscemi (my favourite actor, check out Trees Lounge)
David Thewliss (you might recognize him from Harry Potter, but you must see him in Naked)
John Turturro (Do The Right Thing and Barton Fink immediately come to mind.)
David Strathairn (Brilliant in Good Night and Good Luck, also excellent in Limbo)

However, it really depends how we define over/underrated, because guys like Turturro and Buscemi are certainly held in the highest regard among cinema buffs, but they tend not to play the stereotypical leading Hollywood roles (although Buscemi has provided amusing supporting turns in otherwise forgettable Hollywood fare, such as The Rock and The Wedding Singer.)

So Tom Hanks and Steve Buschemi should swap places? :laugh1:

I like both but wasnt Tom Hanks a hiccup away from winning 3 Oscars in a row?

jem88

Reaction score
tomson75;2700251 said:
I don't give credence to any event held in the provence of Quebec.

1. Its cold up there. Everyone that lives in a cold climate drinks too much. I do stupid things when I drink, therefor everyone else does too.

2. Duh....they're French-Canadians!

This clearly fits the bill. :D
Worth remembering that there are quite a few Anglo-Canadians from Quebec (Leonard Cohen and Mordecai Richler spring to mind.) That being said, the French film industry in Canada is far ahead of its English-speaking counterpart. The Barbarian Invasions is a good one (it was huge in Europe when I was living there.)

jem88

Reaction score
YoMick;2700644 said:
I like both but wasnt Tom Hanks a hiccup away from winning 3 Oscars in a row?
That's why I think he's overrated. Philadelphia and Forrest Gump were immensely overrated performances (and films) IMHO.

burmafrd

Reaction score
He was better in Apollo 13 and he was GREAT in Saving Private Ryan

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FloridaRob;2700510 said:
That's about the only movie where I was impressed with her...and it didn't hurt to have Jessica Lange working with her.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jem88;2700646 said:
That's why I think he's overrated. Philadelphia and Forrest Gump were immensely overrated performances (and films) IMHO.
I completely disagree. Great movies and performances.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
anyone else think Clive Owen is overrated? he only wears 2 faces in a movie

frown, or a smile (and that's hardly)

and his voice never fluctuates

major props to the people who can't stand Nick Cage

my underrated goes to Ethan Hawke, dude hasn't appeared in many movies lately, but he's at the age where his already good acting skills should be honed