Pacman... er... Adam

dallas_112678

Reaction score
The whole big thing about the Commander game was that the coaches challenged the players, i think the players will respond well if Jerry and the coaches are will to challenge Pac to stay out of trouble and if it works then that will only make us that much better.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nav22;2427430 said:
From all accounts, Pacman is a pretty good teammate and is well-liked in the lockerroom. The only "distraction" would be provided by the incessant questions from reporters, but I doubt that's enough to screw with chemistry.

What I'm a little more worried about is rust. What has he been doing for the last month, besides alcohol rehab? Hopefully he's kept himself in tip-top shape and will be ready to pick up where he left off.

Unless you count that episode where he got into drunken brawl with us own bodyguard and broke an 'umbrella thing' and brought down all that negative media attention and derision and forced us to play short-handed at CB on defense with Newman and Roy Williams out. Other than that, and the spitting on the occasional *****, he's pretty much universally adored.

When did it stop being rude to not flush turds, anyway? I'll be just as happy when we're not relying on this floater for anything other than to put his life together in quiet obscurity up in Canada.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427391 said:
A team that lacks leadership has that problem because the players don't see that their opinions matter. This is a perfect opportunity to allow the leaders to step up and take some control over the fate of the team. If players feel strongly against him being here then don't bring him back. If they don't care one way or another they will let him back and feel they had control over the decision.

And son, if you think the coaches are the ones making the decisions here then you haven't been paying attention.

Well said.

I think you are on to something here.

Nav22

Reaction score
Other than that, and the spitting on the occasional *****, he's pretty much universally adored.
If you want to rehash the actions of our players while they were on other teams, why don't you bring up T.O. doing situps in his driveway or Tank's guns while you're at it?

Several of Pacman's teammates have publicly implied that they'd welcome him back. Jerry and Wade have both said they'd welcome him back. Nobody has said anything to the contrary. I've read that his teammates believe he got a raw deal with his current suspension.

So for all WE know, he's well-liked in the locker-room, and the team wants him back in there.
forced us to play short-handed at CB on defense with Newman and Roy Williams out.
So let me get this straight. He let the team down by getting suspended and forcing the team to play "short-handed" at CB... so we should respond by ensuring that we're "short-handed" at CB the rest of the year?

Oh, and nevermind the fact that we drafted 2 CBs because we didn't know if we could count on Pacman. It was publicly stated all along that Pacman's presence would be treated as a bonus. So if we were actually "short-handed" at CB, it was because of injuries (or poor play) more than anything else.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BadKarma;2427431 said:
In the event Pacman does get reinstated, I should hope Jerry doesn't offer anymore special bodyguards to keep him out of trouble. Clearly, if he can't do it on his own, then he has no business being a Cowboys or as an NFL player for that matter.
There will be no more team provided bodyguards. Jerry got rid of them before Pac entered rehab.

Here's the latest.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pacman's status still in limbo[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday, November 17, 2008[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IRVING, Texas -- Suspended Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones must keep waiting to find out whether he can resume his NFL career.

When commissioner Roger Goodell punished Jones last month, he said the suspension would be reviewed after four games -- and the fourth was Sunday. So now the wait is on for Goodell to make a ruling.

"Nothing to report on it," league spokesman Greg Aiello wrote in an e-mail Monday.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said Monday he didn't have any details.

"As far as I'm concerned right now, he's gone," Phillips said. "We're preparing the players I have. ... If it turns out that he does come back and he is ready, I'll prepare that."

Jones' latest violation of the league's personal conduct policy stemmed from an alcohol-related scuffle Oct. 7 with one of his bodyguards at a private party in Dallas. The Cowboys had employed the bodyguards to try to keep Jones out of trouble because only six weeks earlier he was reinstated from a 17-month suspension because of repeated legal problems.

Jones has been undergoing alcohol rehabilitation. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said he'd welcome back the player if the league will allow it.
[/FONT]

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Question? Has he had an opportunity to condition himself and prepare should he be reinstated? If he's reinstated, what are we looking at in terms of getting a conditioned Pac back?

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think Dallas should just suspend him if he is reinstated.

He needs to show that he can conduct himself on his own without body guards and so forth.

Let him practice and stay in shape. Give him 4 games on the sidelines and prove that he can stay out of trouble, if not good riddance. It is time for him to man up and act like an adult. No help from Jones, just like everybody else.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
aikemirv;2427545 said:

He needs to show that he can conduct himself on his own without body guards and so forth.

Let him practice and stay in shape. Give him 4 games on the sidelines and prove that he can stay out of trouble, if not good riddance. It is time for him to man up and act like an adult. No help from Jones, just like everybody else.

I agree with this.

Randy White

Reaction score
have any inside information, but I don't think he'll be back for at least another 3 weeks, if at all. I think Goodell is way past his tolerance limit with him and just because it was 4 weeks, doesn't mean that's enough for him ( Goodell ).

Particularly if the stories about him getting money from his bodyguard behind Jerry's back are true. Not only does Pacman would have Goodell's rath to deal with, but he woulnd't have Jerry championing his cause, and that's very important.

I could be wrong, though

:starspin

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would just as soon move on without Pacman, I don't think this team needs to be dealing with a head case who can't stay out of trouble. This team needs to stay focused on the job at hand not a media 3 ring circus that Pacman will bring with him

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I have a question on his conditioning as well. Was he in a rehab center that he wasn't able to leave? I mean I've never been in rehab but do those places have weight rooms? I wouldn't think so.

How/where would he do running for conditioning while in a place like that? Even if he's reinstated this week, and something just tells me in my gut that he won't be, aren't we probably looking at least at 2 more weeks before he'd even be ready to play again since he's likely done nothing since entering rehab to stay in shape?

I suppose he could be doing body weight exercises to keep himself somewhat in condition but I doubt that would be anywhere near what he'd normally be doing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Posted on Tue, Nov. 18, 2008

League ruling on Adam 'Pacman' Jones expected this week

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING — NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says there is no news to report on a possible return of suspended [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dallas[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT] cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones.
A ruling is expected this week on whether Jones will be reinstated or if his suspension for another violation of the league’s personal conduct policy will continue.

Jones was suspended Oct. 14, a week after getting in a fight with his bodyguard at the Joule Hotel in Dallas. He has missed the past four games while getting treatment for alcohol abuse in a Boston facility. Jones completed that program last week and has returned to Dallas, where he will continue to be evaluated by the NFL and await news on a possible reinstatement by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Coach Wade Phillips said he is not yet preparing for a possible return of Jones. If Jones is reinstated, Phillips echoed owner Jerry Jones and said he would welcome the troubled http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1044822.html#CB back to the team.

"Sure, I think he can add something," Phillips said. "Well as a coach the guy worked hard in practice [and was] at all the meetings, never late for anything. He listened. He tried to do what you wanted. He played pretty good in a lot of situations. We never broke him out on the kick returns. Now the off-the-field stuff, obviously, was what he had a problem with and it cost him."

AbeBeta

Reaction score
aikemirv;2427545 said:

We have no ground to suspend him. Jerry already came out and said that he didn't think Adam should be suspended. All we buy ourselves in that situation is a) a grievance from the NFLPA that we will lose and b) more drama and distracting media coverage.

aikemirv

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427725 said:
We have no ground to suspend him. Jerry already came out and said that he didn't think Adam should be suspended. All we buy ourselves in that situation is a) a grievance from the NFLPA that we will lose and b) more drama and distracting media coverage.

Ok, then, pay him, practice him and don't let him play for 4 weeks. Can't do anything about that!

media coverage, that is easy enough.

"When is Pacman going to play"?

answer - "when we make him active"

Or the T.O line "next question" would work well too.

Don't give them anything and they have nothing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427725 said:

We would have no problem with the NFLPA with the NFL no tolerance policy and the fact Dallas has already been fined 200,000 by the league because pacman was suspended Jones would have every right to cut ties.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2427752 said:
We would have no problem with the NFLPA with the NFL no tolerance policy and the fact Dallas has already been fined 200,000 by the league because pacman was suspended Jones would have every right to cut ties.

He would have every right to cut ties. He wouldn't have a right to suspend him for an additional four games as the original poster suggested

AbeBeta

Reaction score
aikemirv;2427739 said:
Ok, then, pay him, practice him and don't let him play for 4 weeks. Can't do anything about that!

media coverage, that is easy enough.

"When is Pacman going to play"?

answer - "when we make him active"

Or the T.O line "next question" would work well too.

Don't give them anything and they have nothing.

Yes, let's tie up a roster spot and create a huge distraction.

Nice to see that Matt Millen has time to post over here now that he's out of a job.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427763 said:
He would have every right to cut ties. He wouldn't have a right to suspend him for an additional four games as the original poster suggested

True, he could be on the team collecting a pay check and not playing but we could not avoid paying him without just cause.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427773 said:

Nice to see that Matt Millen has time to post over here now that he's out of a job.

Let just cut his sorry butt. He was not doing the job when he was here. His punt returns were bad and did not show much as a CB. Heck I rather move on without him and a daily blasting of the Cowboys by the media saying how stupid we are for hanging on to this thug. Hell the HC many around here love (Jimmy Johnson) thinks Pacman is a joke and someone Dallas should not have brought in to begin with.

aikemirv

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2427773 said:

Then cut him but there is no way I rely on him until he proves he can be a good boy on his own and let the team down again.

8 guys are inactive every week. It's a distraction either way. I don't see why my suggestion creates a bigger one than letting him play outright - I think it would be less. If Jerry comes out and says that he is going to make Adam prove himself before he plays again I don't see how that is a distraction unless Adam makes it one and if he does - Goodbye!