Panthers Rescind Franchise Tag on Norman. Any interest

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Norman's not going to happen, but do we really have to go through the charade of pretending some of us actually believe DBs aren't important positions in the NFL? It's so dumb, I'm embarrassed for the posters who get suckered in to agreeing with the idea just because it gets intentionally repeated over and over and over.

It has no basis in reality. A quick look at any NFL roster with salaries ought to make that clear.

The most important positions in football are QB, LT, DE and then corner. Yet people continue to pretend as if it's wasteful to invest in them.

As you say it's incredibly stupid and parroted by Risen and Alexander as fact despite all evidence to the contrary.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Norman's not going to happen, but do we really have to go through the charade of pretending some of us actually believe DBs aren't important positions in the NFL? It's so dumb, I'm embarrassed for the posters who get suckered in to agreeing with the idea just because it gets intentionally repeated over and over and over.

It has no basis in reality. A quick look at any NFL roster with salaries ought to make that clear.

And because teams keep making the same errors over and over again, does not validate a thing.

There is little to suggest that teams spending vast amounts of real money and draft capital on DBs pays off in wins and titles.

Talk about a lack of basis in reality, look beyond Seattle and you will see a collection of teams in the last five years who have somehow survived in a passing league without paying disproportionate dollars out to their secondary.

It is not about "importance" of the position.

It is about the idea that like a lot of other positions, it means you better be good or lucky in evaluation. Plain and simple.

Save QB, it is perhaps the hardest position to evaluate and the clueless would rather throw resources at it than try to figure out where the evaluation process is missing.

Some teams know how to evaluate the secondary and don't have to spend top free agent dollars and a first round choice to do it.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
Norman, DB in the 1st ,and DB in the 2nd?
62244194.jpg

Reading comprehension can be so difficult...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No way....the super bowl loser gave up on reaching a long term contract. No way we should get involved unless he fires his agent. He is clearly very upset. I think this was likely a team message to Norman about his agent. If he wants more money than Revis or Sherman, forget it. He won't fit our salary structure. Go young; go first contract; and find a pass rush.

jaybeware

Reaction score
I hope we can pull this off...it dramatically simplifies our draft board. While energizing the defense. We could have a best on best secondary that might tip the scale.

Dwight

Reaction score
Norman had a pass rush in Carolina. I'm not going to discredit his good performance last season though.

However if Norman were to sign with Dallas I feel the fans who are wanting this will probably not be happy with him by the end of the season.

This team's defense is totally oppose of Carolina's defense. Meaning no pass rush. The Panthers can replace him with a rookie corner in the draft (not saying the DB will have the same production). But Carolina's pass rush will help their new DB.

If he comes in for a reasonable salary I'm all for it but it will not solve a thing up front.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Kind of interesting the Panthers didn't try to shop him for picks. Hell, there has to be some contender who would give up a low round pick and pay the tag just for 1 year. Any pick beats no pick.
thats what I don't get. Makes no sense.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
No don't do it smells like another MAXWELL gone wrong scenario.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Kind of interesting the Panthers didn't try to shop him for picks. Hell, there has to be some contender who would give up a low round pick and pay the tag just for 1 year. Any pick beats no pick.

The Panthers gave his agent permission to seek a trade. Thing is, they would have had to beat a 3rd Rd pick because that's what he will net them via comp pick next year. I'm guessing there weren't any takers and wanted to give him enough time to sign so they actually get credit towards the comp pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
And because teams keep making the same errors over and over again, does not validate a thing.

There is little to suggest that teams spending vast amounts of real money and draft capital on DBs pays off in wins and titles.

Talk about a lack of basis in reality, look beyond Seattle and you will see a collection of teams in the last five years who have somehow survived in a passing league without paying disproportionate dollars out to their secondary.

It is not about "importance" of the position.

It is about the idea that like a lot of other positions, it means you better be good or lucky in evaluation. Plain and simple.

Save QB, it is perhaps the hardest position to evaluate and the clueless would rather throw resources at it than try to figure out where the evaluation process is missing.

Some teams know how to evaluate the secondary and don't have to spend top free agent dollars and a first round choice to do it.

The last SB winning team has a lot tied up in their secondary. Talib, Harris and Ward eat up a nice chunk of salary.

Reactions: BAT

dagreat1_87

Reaction score

word is that he didn't want to sign his tender, which prevented a potential trade

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Sign Norman, sign Hardy, draft Tunsil or Ramsey. :)

Draft Tunsil but with Scandrick on board and Norman signed, Ramsey would be a safety. Why draft safety with the 4th, especially one that does not improve the Cowboys greatest defensive weakness last season, no turnovers produced?

Draft the best impact player available (Tunsil) or trade down and add more picks. Rather spend a 2nd (or better yet a third) on Jospeh, who may not have Ramsey's size or vertical, but is the much better safety when it comes to production. Joseph may not look the part, but all he does is destroy people in the running game and create turnovers, lot's of them. Exactly what is expected from the position. Looking pretty is for QBs.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
28 year old CB rated #4 overall for DB's last year, yet some here don't think he worth going after? :huh: