Panthers Rescind Franchise Tag on Norman. Any interest

Carson

Reaction score
Think he wanted around 15 mil. Reported at least 6 teams have contacted his agent.

Probably just his agent trying to up the pot.

Outside of San Fran, Jacksonville, Tennessee, not many teams can afford 16 million a year. He could very well end back up in Carolina

BHendri5

Reaction score
They know the guy, they have watched him for 4/5 years now. He is a product of the defensive scheme. he was never really shutting anyone down man to man, not the elites Wrs anyway

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure they do, but so do pass rushers and interior linemen. Denver went all in to get a SB. Signing Benson, Jack, Kyle and then Norman is not the same as going all in.

It's not just Denver. KC had a good secondary and has both money and high picks invested in the secondary. Doesn't mean you have to spend a ton to build a good secondary but spending money and prime picks isn't a recipe for disaster like some want to think either.

FWIW I am not advocating signing Norman.

visionary

Reaction score
Don't be stupid jerry

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot who i was talking to
Please carry on as per usual

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
It's not just Denver. KC had a good secondary and has both money and high picks invested in the secondary. Doesn't mean you have to spend a ton to build a good secondary but spending money and prime picks isn't a recipe for disaster like some want to think either.

FWIW I am not advocating signing Norman.

But their investment in the secondary has panned out. The Cowboys keep throwing resources at the position and have nothing to show for it, but considering throwing more resources.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The last thing I want to see is Josh Norman in a Cowboy uniform making $20M/yr playing 7 yards off the WR on a 3rd and 2.

I'm having a good day. Goff and Wentz are going to other teams that mortgaged the farm to get them. Let's not ruin it by signing him for huge bucks and wasting his talent.

Sydla

Reaction score
But their investment in the secondary has panned out. The Cowboys keep throwing resources at the position and have nothing to show for it, but considering throwing more resources.

That's pretty silly thinking though. So basically the Cowboys should never use a high draft pick or sign a higher priced guy because it's bitten them in the past?

How do you want to build a quality secondary? Just draft guys in the middle rounds and bargain bin FAs and hope you get lucky?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
That's pretty silly thinking though. So basically the Cowboys should never use a high draft pick or sign a higher priced guy because it's bitten them in the past?

How do you want to build a quality secondary? Just draft guys in the middle rounds and bargain bin FAs and hope you get lucky?

fix the front 7........ you don't fix the front 7 by spending your resources in the back.

ksadler1

Reaction score

That's because your secondary is directly related to your pass rush. You can have 4 Deion's in the secondary and they will get toasted if you don't have a decent pass rush.....

jujoboys

Reaction score
Signing Josh Norman to a huge contract is just ridiculous and I will state the reasons why:

1) He is 28 years old and turns 29 during the season. Getting close to 30.
2) He has 7 career interceptions in 4 years of playing.
3) He has had one good season and it came in a contract year.
4) He was aided in that one good season by a great front 7 on defense. They were so good that journeyman Kurt Coleman had 7 interceptions which was 3 more than Norman.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If it were at all possible, I would sign him. After that, a trade down in the draft, if it could be worked out would be wise and you could take those extra picks and take a couple more defensive players. You could think about Lynch or Elliot if you did that. I might even entertain trading that 1st away for picks in next years draft with no 1st round this year. That guy would be your first round pick. I really like that kid.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
That's because your secondary is directly related to your pass rush. You can have 4 Deion's in the secondary and they will get toasted if you don't have a decent pass rush.....

No, they would not. A pass rush helps coverage, and coverage helps the pass rush -- but neither one is so dependent on the other that four Deion Sanderses would "get toasted." That's like saying four Lawrence Taylors would never get a sack without decent coverage.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Is this similar to the Dez contract issues of last summer. Both are around the same age dez 27 and norman 28. Both had a frachise tag but wanted something more so both where holding out from off season training. Just curious

manster4ever

Reaction score
Cause he is holding out. Panthers have shown to get rid of productive players they don't play the way they want (money etc. Wise) Peppers, Smith, Hardy and now Norman

OH YEAH. Jerry "Big Daddy" Richardson just did it again. Always a bridesmaid. He is a cheap old fart.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No, they would not. A pass rush helps coverage, and coverage helps the pass rush -- but neither one is so dependent on the other that four Deion Sanderses would "get toasted." That's like saying four Lawrence Taylors would never get a sack without decent coverage.

I was thinking the same thing. Yes, four Deions would shut down a secondary with a moderate pass rush.