Panthers rookie QB, Bryce Young, looks super small

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He doesn’t look as small as Kyler Murray who is 5’9.

Im more suspect coming out of Alabama than his 5’10 stature. Is he more of a product of his great team around him or is he really that good?

Time will tell but he certainly doesn’t have as good a team around him now so I’d expect him to struggle , at least early on. Definitely a gamble in 1st round IMO.
Glad I read further, I was about to post, that Murray is about the same size.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But even Brees had to find the right situation and it took lots of time. His first stint out of college didn’t go great but his time in New Orleans certainly made up for that.
Most rookie QB's struggle and some continue to do so like Josh Allen, that antithesis of Young at 6'6", fast, strong with a cannon arm. Allen has not fixed his mind yet and if he doesn't, he will be the next Phillip Rivers.

Some of these big strong QB's with those arms become too dependent on that and think they can throw through coverage, Cutler, Favre and Rivers come to mind and early Elway and Marino forever.

I like those QB's with that something special, and I am not saying Young has it but he did in college.

I used to marvel at Kosar, the guy had none of the tools some of these QB's have today, he wasn't athletic, had terrible technique and a weak arm but the one thing he had, better than any QB I've seen play the game, was that mind to process what was going to happen and what happened in real time at full speed. Like the DB's in the North back then said of him "he knows where we're going to be before we do".

It's like Billy Kilmer and Joe Kapp back in the day, the absolutely ugliest passes imaginable, unorthodox before there was Mahomes with a different unorthodox, but they were to the right guy because of their ability to read what was happening and respond.

It will take time with Young because his receivers are going to have to learn how to play with him just as Kosar's, Kilmer's and Kapp's did as well as Brees.

Think about Brees WR's running their route and they can't even see him behind the lines, most would break off course to try and help the QB but his WR's knew to stay the course and he would find them.

I watched the NFL for a long time but one sight that always made me smile was Bress standing on his tiptoes trying to see over the line and then delivering a strike. He was a training film for put the ball where the receiver is going to be, not where he is. That was the strength of Aikman's game.

Again, I am not predicting Young is going to be the next Brees, or if we will ever see that, but he was the easy choice for me at QB. Can't make a QB smarter.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be . Personally I like the kid from Kentucky. He looks more like the NFL proto type size and arm.

I also think Carolina’s were influenced by close proximity in South and SEC to Bama. Young will easily be able to be promoted as their savior. Panthers have really struggled finding a QB. My boy from Baylor couldn’t find a QB either.
What the owner and GM understood was it was only imperative that they try, as a lot of teams are put in that position. If you don't have the guy, you have to keep trying to get him and even do something risky as what CLE, DEN and NYJ have done.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most rookie QB's struggle and some continue to do so like Josh Allen, that antithesis of Young at 6'6", fast, strong with a cannon arm. Allen has not fixed his mind yet and if he doesn't, he will be the next Phillip Rivers.

Some of these big strong QB's with those arms become too dependent on that and think they can throw through coverage, Cutler, Favre and Rivers come to mind and early Elway and Marino forever.

I like those QB's with that something special, and I am not saying Young has it but he did in college.

I used to marvel at Kosar, the guy had none of the tools some of these QB's have today, he wasn't athletic, had terrible technique and a weak arm but the one thing he had, better than any QB I've seen play the game, was that mind to process what was going to happen and what happened in real time at full speed. Like the DB's in the North back then said of him "he knows where we're going to be before we do".

It's like Billy Kilmer and Joe Kapp back in the day, the absolutely ugliest passes imaginable, unorthodox before there was Mahomes with a different unorthodox, but they were to the right guy because of their ability to read what was happening and respond.

It will take time with Young because his receivers are going to have to learn how to play with him just as Kosar's, Kilmer's and Kapp's did as well as Brees.

Think about Brees WR's running their route and they can't even see him behind the lines, most would break off course to try and help the QB but his WR's knew to stay the course and he would find them.

I watched the NFL for a long time but one sight that always made me smile was Bress standing on his tiptoes trying to see over the line and then delivering a strike. He was a training film for put the ball where the receiver is going to be, not where he is. That was the strength of Aikman's game.

Again, I am not predicting Young is going to be the next Brees, or if we will ever see that, but he was the easy choice for me at QB. Can't make a QB smarter.
Interesting analysis based on his instincts. He definitely was a savvy QB. Appeared to have that “ it” factor.

Size and talent aren’t everything. I like some of your comparisons to QB’s of old era. That’s certainly possible .

We’ll see if Panthers can provide him the supporting cast as he won’t have all of the 5 Star talent he had surrounding him at Bama.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
He doesn’t look as small as Kyler Murray who is 5’9.

Im more suspect coming out of Alabama than his 5’10 stature. Is he more of a product of his great team around him or is he really that good?

Time will tell but he certainly doesn’t have as good a team around him now so I’d expect him to struggle , at least early on. Definitely a gamble in 1st round IMO.
x2 for me as well. Not very many Alabama QBs have come into the NFL and taken it by storm. Seems the majority of them eventually fizzle out.

Big_D

Reaction score

I hope he does well, seems like a great kid. Even when you look for a prototypical QB, that doesn’t always go according to plan.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
These top QB’s drafted all have one common denominator: they are going to bottom tier teams .

The QB’s with the better teams surrounding support have the better opportunities for success.

Which I’d say the Titans and Lions could be the best of these teams who drafted a QB high would have a better chance of success while they also won’t be expected to start immediately.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We already knew his measurements, so it's nothing or either you late to the party. What did ppl think he was going to look like haha?
Right, I’m suspect the OP being a major Dak Homer was simply attempting to bash another QB . Lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s all about need and priorities . Teams are willing to take huge chances reaching for QB’s in the draft.
I get that but they had their options of other guys. But they may not see his limitations. They would know better than me just that’s scary a guy that small at quarterback.

JayFord

Reaction score
Aslong as he can get the ball from point a to point b he'll be fine

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get that but they had their options of other guys. But they may not see his limitations. They would know better than me just that’s scary a guy that small at quarterback.
I hear ya and it is concerning but becoming not as uncommon for these extremely talented prospects. He’s not who I would have selected but I can see why they did.