Panthers rookie QB, Bryce Young, looks super small

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They could all go bust, but if you look at the history of the draft, odds are at least one of them will pan out. The odds on all three of the top QBs panning out are very slim. Will Levis could end up being the best of the bunch, who knows. There’s no bigger crapshoot than drafting a QB, which is why if you have a pretty good one you need to stick with them.
And the magic phrase there is pan out. Is that good enough? Is that good enough for a lot of Cowboys fans? One could say Cousins, Tannehill and Prescott have panned out.

Unfortunately, every fan wants the next Mahomes, Burrow or Herbert but the QB pool is not that deep. And many cannot swim in the deep end.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yep, the last QB from Bama taken in 1st round was Namath. He actually was 1st overall in AFL draft not NFL.
Don't forget that other Crimson Tide QB from back in the day - Ken Stabler.
One of the best Raiders quarterbacks in franchise history, along with Daryle Lamonica and Jim Plunkett.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And the magic phrase there is pan out. Is that good enough? Is that good enough for a lot of Cowboys fans? One could say Cousins, Tannehill and Prescott have panned out.

Unfortunately, every fan wants the next Mahomes, Burrow or Herbert but the QB pool is not that deep. And many cannot swim in the deep end.
If a player drafted in the top five or or anywhere in the first round “pans out” that means they lived up to their draft status. They may not end up a Hall of Fame player, but they’ve obviously developed into a very good player. Cowboys fans want the second coming of Patrick Mahomes, and that’s not easy to fine, but good luck convincing this fan base of that. They think QBs like Mahomes grow on trees. Just get rid of Dak, draft another QB and presto he’s the next Mahomes. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is amusing that the reason you don't take a Bama QB is because of the team he plays on is so talented.

Why doesn't that apply to Burrow? That LSU offense is considered by many to be the best one we've seen in college ball and the only one in history with the top rated QB, OL and WR corps at the same time with a record number of players drafted in the first 2 rounds.

We watch these guys play, these scouting departments dissect their play and apply a lot of different variables. And they still miss a lot, not an exact science. Especially at the QB position.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear Deuce Vaughn's thoughts on the matter. Cole Beasley's as well.
short qb's have different issues than a RB or REC.
The problem is seeing and throwing over big linemen. they have to roll out more to get a good view. They need to be good smart runners from pocket also.

DZSierra

Reaction score
I do think if I was going to trade all of those assets to move up I would've waited until this coming year with this much better QB group.
Then again, maybe whoever has those picks to get either Caleb Willaims or Drake Maye wouldn't part with them.
When Tepper took over as the owner, it was quickly apparent you're going to have a good businessman with the money to buy the team, but have no clue about putting people in the right position to lead your team. Thing is, would have thought he had learned some things when he was in on the ownership with the Steelers. Go figure.

khiladi

Reaction score
The brain. Young is seriously football smart in a way you want a #1 overall QB pick to be.
I haven't really seen it, but again I'm just watching from tape. I saw a guy that just takes off a lot with his legs and does a lot of improv. Plus when you are that short, football intelligence may be there, but the lack of ability to see over the OL will affect him in the pocket.

khiladi

Reaction score
Stroud's processing scores were rock bottom
Interesting, but here is the following "rebuttal" to this claim.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cj-strouds...ects-and-just-take-a-qb-texans-030849873.html

Two things:

1. Nobody knows what the S2 Cognition Test actually measures accurately.
2. The co-founder of the test himself said it was inaccurately reported and that everybody in the class scored really, really well and that he would only use the test if two candidates were equal, meaning as a case for separating one over the other.

And his performance against Georgia, meaning what actually matters as one can watch him on the field process, belies the claim. The essential implication is one has to test the actual test against real world play.

But like I said, I don't watch college football, but I did pay attention to Stroud's tape when I heard about him and this guy throws dimes downfield, over DBs into the hands of WRs that don't have to slow down and goes through his reads.

I guess one can make the argument Young may "process' fast, based upon how he reacts on his feet and breaking pocket and maing quick decisions. But that's like "street ball" in a sense, meaning maybe the cognition test measures that type of "processing" more accurately.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yeah, definity a chance he busts. Then again, Doug Flutie, Drew Brees, etcetera. It can also work.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Wow, check out how small Bryce Young looks in rookie mini-camp for the Panthers.
:omg:

Will he survive in the NFL after being so short and small as a QB?

i would not have drafted him. not because he’s short but because he played at alabama. that team is stacked everywhere and it hides the qb deficiency so when they get to nfl they are just average and have peaked already. look at every alabama qb except hurts who learned to throw from riley at OU. they all are allstate coming out and then are out of the league by year 5.