Panthers rookie QB, Bryce Young, looks super small

Big_D

Reaction score
He makes Baker Mayfield look tall. That size would’ve scared me off with the #1 pick. You have to be able to throw over your linemen.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
I like the player and feel he is fortunate to be entering the league at a time when they are going out of their way to incorporate rules to protect players. That still doesn’t eliminate the hits he will take but overall it should help.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He makes Baker Mayfield look tall. That size would’ve scared me off with the #1 pick. You have to be able to throw over your linemen.
He did his whole college career and better than everyone else on a team and against teams with nfl caliber lineman. I don’t like his height but I don’t think it will be a reason he is not successful.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brees' did it because of his ability to remain composed and ball placement. Can Young be that guy in the NFL?

He does remind me of Brees because of his ability to put the correct amount of trajectory on the ball. Brees seldom got a straight unimpeded line of sight to his WR's but he applied what he had in college and put the right amount of air under the ball and placed it where his WR was going to be really well.

In that regard, Brees reminded me of Bernie Kosar, using his mind to compensate for this lack of a cannon arm. It wasn't impressive from a rocketball perspective but it was very effective.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, check out how small Bryce Young looks in rookie mini-camp for the Panthers.
:omg:

Will he survive in the NFL after being so short and small as a QB?

Same size as he was at Bama and the players he played against were the same size as the NFL players. When a QB has the mind, the size does not matter.

Will he be the second coming of Brees? Not sure about that but he came into college ball really smart with the ability to not let his height be a deterrent.

His ability to process what is happening on the field in real time was the best that college ball has seen in a long time. His incidence of hitting the right receiver under the circumstances was unmatched when he played in college.

The other thing he has is "Joe Montana Cool" on the field. Look at his eyes late in tight games. Now, look at Josh Allen's at 6'6". Allen gets "Danny White Eyes", not to be confused with "Bette Davis Eyes", who could probably read the field better than Allen but just didn't have the arm.

Young was by far the best decision making QB in this draft but he also was surrounded by 5 star players with others waiting on the bench.

One thing to always consider when taking any Bama player, they just don't have anything less than 4 stars and 5 stars are willing to ride the bench to get one season and go in the 1st round. That would be my concern with Bryce Young.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He doesn’t look as small as Kyler Murray who is 5’9.

Im more suspect coming out of Alabama than his 5’10 stature. Is he more of a product of his great team around him or is he really that good?

Time will tell but he certainly doesn’t have as good a team around him now so I’d expect him to struggle , at least early on. Definitely a gamble in 1st round IMO.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He doesn’t look as small as Kyler Murray who is 5’9.

Im more suspect coming out of Alabama than his 5’10 stature. Is he more of a product of his great team around him or is he really that good?

Time will tell but he certainly doesn’t have as good a team around him now so I’d expect him to struggle , at least early on. Definitely a gamble in 1st round IMO.
All of these QB's were gambles but I would have done what they did.

Young does not have Stroud's arm but Stroud will never have his mind. Rumor is Stroud's as dumb as loafer laces.

Big_D

Reaction score
Brees' did it because of his ability to remain composed and ball placement. Can Young be that guy in the NFL?

He does remind me of Brees because of his ability to put the correct amount of trajectory on the ball. Brees seldom got a straight unimpeded line of sight to his WR's but he applied what he had in college and put the right amount of air under the ball and placed it where his WR was going to be really well.

In that regard, Brees reminded me of Bernie Kosar, using his mind to compensate for this lack of a cannon arm. It wasn't impressive from a rocketball perspective but it was very effective.
But even Brees had to find the right situation and it took lots of time. His first stint out of college didn’t go great but his time in New Orleans certainly made up for that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All of these QB's were gambles but I would have done what they did.

Young does not have Stroud's arm but Stroud will never have his mind. Rumor is Stroud's as dumb as loafer laces.
Could be . Personally I like the kid from Kentucky. He looks more like the NFL proto type size and arm.

I also think Carolina’s were influenced by close proximity in South and SEC to Bama. Young will easily be able to be promoted as their savior. Panthers have really struggled finding a QB. My boy from Baylor couldn’t find a QB either.