Panthers rookie QB, Bryce Young, looks super small

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will wait for the preseason games to better assess size difference. Is he a small quarterback? Yes. Is he super small? The video had only one hard instance with Young and another person standing close together and almost parallel to the camera:

CnypKVh.png

The other two instances had him standing behind his lineman at an angle and jogging near but not close to another lineman in the backfield. There might be a slight depth discrepancy in the video. Regardless, I am not quite ready to assume Young as the NFL's version of Muggsy Bogues just yet.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
It's quite absurd to think that size does not matter. It affects both the ability to see and process the defense, and the ability to throw over big lineman with long arms.

Perhaps a player has the skills to overcome his small size- but small size is absolutely a negative attribute.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Having lived in NC going on 20 years now, I kind of expect anything the Panthers do they will screw it up.
I do think if I was going to trade all of those assets to move up I would've waited until this coming year with this much better QB group.
Then again, maybe whoever has those picks to get either Caleb Willaims or Drake Maye wouldn't part with them.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I will wait for the preseason games to better assess size difference. Is he a small quarterback? Yes. Is he super small? The video had only one hard instance with Young and another person standing close together and almost parallel to the camera:

CnypKVh.png

The other two instances had him standing behind his lineman at an angle and jogging near but not close to another lineman in the backfield. There might be a slight depth discrepancy in the video. Regardless, I am not quite ready to assume Young as the NFL's version of Muggsy Bogues just yet.
That's a coach

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CnypKVh.png

Those OL he is playing behind in that video are no larger than the OL at Bama. They are virtually the same height as Bama.

Maybe people didn't watch as much SEC ball as I did but it was apparent Bryce Young was one of the smallest players on the AL offense.

Watching his command of their offense, his size was never a focal point.

Young is like every other young QB in the NFL, if he doesn't learn to get rid of it quickly, he will suffer. Some veteran QB's still do.

When I watch football, I spend as much time watching the dynamics on the sideline between coaches and players and I've never seen Nick Saban more at ease with a QB than he was with Young. That told me he had complete confidence in the single most important attribute of QB's.

It is not size, strength of arm or even athleticism that separates QB's. It is what put Starr, Bradshaw, Montana in the HOF and will Brady, decision making under pressure. That is what defeats most QB's and their size doesn't matter.

Young was the most recruited HS QB in his class for that reason. He makes great decisions.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those OL he is playing behind in that video are no larger than the OL at Bama. They are virtually the same height as Bama.

Maybe people didn't watch as much SEC ball as I did but it was apparent Bryce Young was one of the smallest players on the AL offense.

Watching his command of their offense, his size was never a focal point.

Young is like every other young QB in the NFL, if he doesn't learn to get rid of it quickly, he will suffer. Some veteran QB's still do.

When I watch football, I spend as much time watching the dynamics on the sideline between coaches and players and I never seen Nick Saban more at ease with a QB than he was with Young. That told me he had complete confidence in the single most important attribute of QB's.

It is not size, strength of arm or even athleticism that separates QB's. It is what put Starr, Bradshaw, Montana in the HOF and will Brady, decision making under pressure. That is what defeats most QB's and their size doesn't matter.

Young was the most recruited HS QB in his class for that reason. He makes great decisions.
Good post. I watch a good bit of SEC football from my neck of the woods, lol.

My post was solely to address the 'super small' assessment that included a video for support. I am still curious what some consider as 'super small' for the NFL. Is it Bryce Young? If so, who is viewed as microscopic for the league?

Curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. I fell deep into the injury prone illogical convos years ago and weaned myself from those. Stating an NFL player is super small is tantalizing bait.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Yeah, just based on what little tape I’ve seen, don’t know why you’d pick him over Cj Stroud who throws a beautiful ball…
I was with this the whole time. I didn’t get it

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post. I watch a good bit of SEC football from my neck of the woods, lol.

My post was solely to address the 'super small' assessment that included a video for support. I am still curious what some consider as 'super small' for the NFL. Is it Bryce Young? If so, who is viewed as microscopic for the league?

Curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. I fell deep into the injury prone illogical convos years ago and weaned myself from those. Stating an NFL player is super small is tantalizing bait.
Kyler Murray has had injuries but are they unique to his size? Players like Jackson and Murray put themselves in harm's way the way they run and do not protect themselves properly.

Bryce Young does have a slight build and he is not muscular like Murray is but what remains to be seen is how well Young will protect himself in the NFL.

Since Young was taken first, we do not know who the other QB picking teams would have taken but I would be surprised if he wasn't the top QB on their boards.

Of these QB's picked, I would be willing to bet Anthony Richardson, a QB in DK Metcalf's body, loses more games to injury than Young.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kyler Murray has had injuries but are they unique to his size? Players like Jackson and Murray put themselves in harm's way the way they run and do not protect themselves properly.

Bryce Young does have a slight build and he is not muscular like Murray is but what remains to be seen is how well Young will protect himself in the NFL.

Since Young was taken first, we do not know who the other QB picking teams would have taken but I would be surprised if he wasn't the top QB on their boards.

Of these QB's picked, I would be willing to bet Anthony Richardson, a QB in DK Metcalf's body, loses more games to injury than Young.
Size is not an overwhelming determining factor in relation to athletic-sustained injuries.

I gotta promise myself that I will not turn into Al Pacino...

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

timb2

Reaction score
That is why I had Bryce Young as #4 QB behind Stroud,Richardson,and Levis.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They said he weighed around 200 at the combine, but he’ll play at 190 to 195. He doesn’t even look that big. With his mobility, he’s going to have a tough time staying healthy with some of the shots he’s going to take. Can’t think of any QB that looks as small as him that had great success in the NFL. There was a pretty good debate as to who the best QB was in this past draft. One of the Talking Heads on ESPN said Anthony Richardson was the most physically gifted QB he’s ever seen. It’s only one person‘s opinion, but it was pretty split as to who the best QB was in this draft. Most seem to think it was Young, but Stroud and Richardson got votes from many. Carolina sure gave up a lot to move up to get Young. If he flames out and one of those other QBs they passed on takes off it’s going to be devastating to their franchise.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They said he weighed around 200 at the combine, but he’ll play at 190 to 195. He doesn’t even look that big. With his mobility, he’s going to have a tough time staying healthy with some of the shots he’s going to take. Can’t think of any QB that looks as small as him that had great success in the NFL. There was a pretty good debate as to who the best QB was in this past draft. One of the Talking Heads on ESPN said Anthony Richardson was the most physically gifted QB he’s ever seen. It’s only one person‘s opinion, but it was pretty split as to who the best QB was in this draft. Most seem to think it was Young, but Stroud and Richardson got votes from many. Carolina sure gave up a lot to move up to get Young. If he flames out and one of those other QBs they passed on takes off it’s going to be devastating to their franchise.
You can go back to the voting for Leaf vs Manning but it really didn't matter.

There is a possibility, and a strong one, that none of these QB's will be the answer.

That doesn't change the situation the teams needing QB's were in, they had to pick one. And nothing prevents any of these teams from taking Caleb Williams in the next draft, if they're not sold on the one they took this time. Hell, they could draft a QB with the first pick in 4 straight drafts and not be paying all of them what any of the top 10 QB's are making.

If I am a GM looking for a QB, my default is who is the smartest one? And in this draft, the smartest was also the smallest.

I do not agree that if they picked the wrong one it will be devastating to their franchise. They picked the wrong coach and gave him 63M guaranteed and it didn't wreck them

Another side to this is while everyone had an opinion, according to what I saw Young was the frontrunner by the majority. If they had a shot at him and took one of the others and Young ended up being the best, that would be a bigger problem. The team that took Leaf escaped the heat because they did not pass on Manning.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can go back to the voting for Leaf vs Manning but it really didn't matter.

There is a possibility, and a strong one, that none of these QB's will be the answer.

That doesn't change the situation the teams needing QB's were in, they had to pick one. And nothing prevents any of these teams from taking Caleb Williams in the next draft, if they're not sold on the one they took this time. Hell, they could draft a QB with the first pick in 4 straight draft and not be paying all of them what any of the top 10 QB's are making.

If I am a GM looking for a QB, my default is who is the smartest one? And in this draft, the smartest was also the smallest.

I do not agree that if they picked the wrong one it will be devastating to their franchise. They picked the wrong coach and gave him 63M guaranteed and it didn't wreck them

Another side to this is while everyone had an opinion, according to what I saw Young was the frontrunner by the majority. If they had a shot at him and took one of the others and Young ended up being the best, that would be a bigger problem. The team that took Leaf escaped the heat because they did not pass on Manning.
They could all go bust, but if you look at the history of the draft, odds are at least one of them will pan out. The odds on all three of the top QBs panning out are very slim. Will Levis could end up being the best of the bunch, who knows. There’s no bigger crapshoot than drafting a QB, which is why if you have a pretty good one you need to stick with them.