Parcells has not made up his mind on #2 QB

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I'm not saying we're not going deep on occassion, every team does. But we didn't bring in Bledsoe so we could be a deep threat team.
I'm thinking ball control clock eating team which is a team that most resembles a superbowl team.

Keeping the ball on offense for long periods is demoralizing to defenses. Now I will say this, if JJ goes nuts and becomes a serious serious threat to take the heart out of a defense, then BP will unleash Drew,IMHO.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Just from what I heard Parcells didn't say that he had not made his decision; what he said was that he was "not ready to reveal it yet". If he has made the decision it will be announced with the rest of the roster when the first round of mandatory cuts are made. He may have made the decision; but delaying the announcement gives Henson more incentive to keep working hard even if Romo has the job. It also, gives Parcells room to change his mind without causing a stir by backtracking. It is also possible that he has actually not made up his mind yet but that was not the impression that I got.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
So duombsday, we're a deep threat team now?

Why didn't I get the memo?

:laugh2:

I thought we were a ball control offense ... Bill isn't going to be throwing deep too many times. A few, of course, but not a lot.

Still having a hard time reading I see. I said we would "take our shot down field". Let me guess your having a hardtime understanding, go ask your mommy she can explain it to you

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Well well.....what surprise. The garbage we heard about BP not liking Henson and other talk of Henson getting cut...well it is just garbage.

I remember in chat and in one or more of my posts in here I said I wouldnt be surprised if BP waits till after the Texans game to decide who is #2.

I don't think that Romo did anything to show he is much better then Henson. I also said how Romo did not move the 3rd team as good as Henson did last week. I am sure BP noticed that to.

I am also sure that BP saw how a Quincy Morgan dropped a Henson pass that coulda been a TD.

Henson has made some bad throws but I still think that when you look at the good throws both Romo and Henson have made that Hensons good throws are better then Romos.

Romo does look smoother and more comfortable but that is about it.

I would not be surprised to see BP have Henson be #3 for the Texans game and the one thing to remember if this is where he gets put......don't read anything into it.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
Last week it was, "if Henson would have had Witten.........", this week it's "if Morgan wouldn't have dropped that pass............."

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Sickening isnt it? :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Cool I would like to see those facts because I'm not seeing Romo putting the ball down field, in the cards game he was completing some very high percentage throws but was not putting the ball down field. I'm not aginst Romo in the least but the stats are not telling the whole story. As for Henson I agree he has not looked like a world beater either but he has put the ball down field a bit more than Romo has. If Romo was a lock then I see no reason why Bill has delayed naming the backup

Parcells wont even let Bledsoe put the ball downfield. He has said that over and over. Its not what he is looking for in preseason. What I dont get is this. Romo was smart enough to throw the ball to Witten and it worked. Aikman used to hit Novacek all the time, no one complained. :confused:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Romo probably will be the #2 this year, but I think natural ability will take over and allow Henson to surpass Romo next year. I just hope being third string doesn't get Henson too down.... However, if you can't take it you never would have the brass balls to play the position anyway.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC said:
Parcells wont even let Bledsoe put the ball downfield. He has said that over and over. Its not what he is looking for in preseason. What I dont get is this. Romo was smart enough to throw the ball to Witten and it worked. Aikman used to hit Novacek all the time, no one complained. :confused:

Interesting.

As I understand it, Parcells didn't call the game with Seattle. Payton did.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
at this juncture, neither romo or henson are as good as vinny testaverde. sorry.

i expect BP also realizes this and will make the necessary phonecall.

methuselah wears the stars this season. again.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
at this juncture, neither romo or henson are as good as vinny testaverde. sorry.

i expect BP also realizes this and will make the necessary phonecall.

methuselah wears the stars this season. again.
I just threw up.:cry2:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I keep seeing comments from both camps suggesting Bill thinks this or Bill thinks that.

Today he stated emphatically something which is germain to this discussion.

He said that Ron Wolfe taught him, 'when you see something that isn't working out, you cut your losses. I've seen people throw good money after bad trying to make their drafts look like something.'

So essentially if Henson is as bad as some people say, and Parcells is not naming a #2 because he wants to save face or delay the inevitable.

Then how does his statement today factor in with the notion that Bill is buying time?

I have said this before and I will state it again. I can clearly see a scenario where Tony Romo is cut and Vinny Testeverde is brought in as the #2 guy.

Thus giving Henson another year to mature. Providing a safety net for Bledsoe with someone who IS better than Romo, even at 42 years old.

testeverde isn't a season long answer. But for a three or four game swing, he can deliver a pass.

Or did his season numbers last year, which were eclipsed by Danny Whoite alone not significant?

I don't believe Testeverde is the answer. Unless it is a short term relief pitcher for an injured Bledsoe.

But I also don't see spending any more time with Stoerner-type passers who have the intellect and not the physical talent to succeed.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Interesting.

As I understand it, Parcells didn't call the game with Seattle. Payton did.

Yeah hes cutting Payton loose on play calling. Thats the Parcells way. He has nothing to do with it. Wanna buy a bridge in NY? ;)

goshan

Reaction score
I agree that the chances that Romo is cut are much higher than Henson. In fact, they won't cut Henson.

If Romo doesn't prove he can be the #2, he is at risk to be replaced by VT.

So I think in Romo's case he has to win the #2 or he is gone.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC said:
Yeah hes cutting Payton loose on play calling. Thats the Parcells way. He has nothing to do with it. Wanna buy a bridge in NY? ;)

Having Sean finally call the offensive plays is about Bill having more responsibility helping Zim install a ndew defensive scheme..his plate is just too full.

He also mentioned the other day Payton gets the plays in faster than he does, which I suspect might cut down on a penalty or two.

Bill isn't trying to evade responsibility for any decisions, especially on personnel. He has NEVER done that.

Btw, did he claim it was Payton who decided to have Drew take a few knees with 47 seconds left in the half?

ravidubey

Reaction score
Romo panicked on that late LB blitz and lobbed a prayer that was dropped by a deep safety... with no Cowboy jersey within 5 yards.

All-out blitz and full-speed NFL play is a challenge for even the most experienced NFL QB's. Romo and Henson each have very long ways to go. At least Henson has the arm strength to hit the deep out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC said:

Sure Dave. I can see that your some kinda expert on Bridges in NY being as your somewhere in, North Carolina is it?

Why don't you just admit that you don't know what's in Parcells head and be done with it. I mean, it's not like everybody doesn't already know this. Trust me. Come to the realization that you don't know what Parcell thinks and you will be much happier with your situation.

;)

Galian Beast

Reaction score
It's not as distant as the numbers make them out to be.

Henson made some good plays but receivers have dropped his passes. Had Thomas and Morgan not dropped his passes, Henson probably would have had a touchdown drive against Seattle.

Romo is clearly ahead, but Henson still has a chance especially in the 4th game to prove he can get it done.

I don't think Henson will play too much in game 3. I think it's going to be mostly bledsoe, but hopefully Henson gets to play the entire 4th quarter.

I like Henson a lot more than I ever liked Carter or Hutchinson. I like his potential and his pedigree. I think it's weird people would root against him instead of for him. He is our chance at getting a franchise quarterback without having to lose an entire season to do it.

I'd prefer Henson to be the number 2 for what it means, but even if he isn't the number 2, who cares. Romo was the number 3 in dallas too at one point under Carter and Hutch.

Mr. Cowboy, Romo did VERY well passing to Witten, when he came out romo struggled. And had morgan not dropped a pass, Henson's performance would have been better. Dropped passing can cause a lot more than a qb to look bad, they can cost you games. So please don't say either of these things weren't big. Henson overthrew Witten, and it was a bad pass. I'm over it.