Parcells: The Grinch Who Stole Sparano

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I think it was time for him and Jerry to part ways so I consider that a good choice by both men. However, the extrication of Sparano might haunt us for many years to come. The guy has a great mix of military grunt in him and a side that just makes players want to go out and lay it on the line for him. He is an offensive mastermind that was blossoming in our system and the Tuna plucked him from us. :(

The guys just flat out gets it done. He hasn't even been in Miami for a full season and has taken them from a 1-15 laugher to a 10-5 powerhouse with the possibility of winning their division just one year later. That's CRAZY....

Meanwhile, wer'e stuck with Red who appears to be regressing from his shades of improvement shown last season. He has got to get more creative and move his WRs around to put them in better positions to make plays. This vanilla style of offense isn't going to get us very far...

It would be nice to see a balanced attack between the run and pass. Keep defenses honest and mix some creativity into the pass plays... & feed feed feed Tashard Choice please! :bang2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Gee ya think.

I like garrett. I have no beef if he is coach in the future.

However, we had a full staff of excellent coaches right here in our lap, plus bruce dehaven would have stayed if he got the sense that even if parcells left it would be business as usual.

Plus a huge thing I think we are missing is David Lee, romos qb coach. I really dont think much of anything of wade wilson and his track record is really poor. People complained when chris palmer was brought in 06 after lee left for arkansas but those guys got results.

We will regret not staying in house with that entire staff and I believe we already are. But Jerry will always take the fame and celebrity route of having his mug on tv and the radio and undermining his staff over what is good for the team. So sporano and those guys even staying on is questionable, because we saw how fast they all left.

And personally, if we dont get in, I will be pulling for miami. I would love to see jerry and all the parcells/ireland haters have it rubbed in their face what structure, discipline and one voice does for an organization.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
We have to ask ourselves why it was time for Jerry and Bill to part. For some of the same reasons it was time for Jerry and Jimmy to part?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
theebs;2518871 said:
Gee ya think.

I like garrett. I have no beef if he is coach in the future.

However, we had a full staff of excellent coaches right here in our lap, plus bruce dehaven would have stayed if he got the sense that even if parcells left it would be business as usual.

Plus a huge thing I think we are missing is David Lee, romos qb coach. I really dont think much of anything of wade wilson and his track record is really poor. People complained when chris palmer was brought in 06 after lee left for arkansas but those guys got results.

We will regret not staying in house with that entire staff and I believe we already are. But Jerry will always take the fame and celebrity route of having his mug on tv and the radio and undermining his staff over what is good for the team. So sporano and those guys even staying on is questionable, because we saw how fast they all left.

And personally, if we dont get in, I will be pulling for miami. I would love to see jerry and all the parcells/ireland haters have it rubbed in their face what structure, discipline and one voice does for an organization.[/QUOTE]

Run Mr Theebs, run like the wind.:D
I do agree though.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Big Dakota;2518882 said:
We have to ask ourselves why it was time for Jerry and Bill to part. For some of the same reasons it was time for Jerry and Jimmy to part?

Give this man a cookie.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I really dont think much of anything of wade wilson and his track record is really poor. People complained when chris palmer was brought in 06 after lee left for arkansas but those guys got results.

Seriously, does Wade Wilson have discriminating photos of Jerry or something? Can someone please explain to me why he has a job or what his job is? Does he fetch JG's coffee?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2518871 said:
So sporano and those guys even staying on is questionable, because we saw how fast they all left.
Didn't almost all of them get promotions?

Back on topic. I was screaming bloody murder when Sparano lost his playcalling duties to Garrett. That was embarrassing and really fit into the "Jerry likes the flashy" meme. Fortunately for him, Garrett was hugely popular at the time amongst fans. Unfortunately for him, he was woefully underqualified for the position.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
We've talked about this before. I don't think Sparano has the same success in Dallas that he's having in Miami.

In Miami, he has the full backing and support of the people above him (Parcells and Ireland). He is on the same page with those guys and they have a formula for building a team. They seem to be in agreement on the types of players they want and the way they want things done.

In Dallas, he would be like Chan Gailey -- constantly looking over his shoulder as key players go over his head to Jerry. And of course, Jerry probably bringing in players and assistant coaches that Sparano wouldn't even want.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2518905 said:
Seriously, does Wade Wilson have discriminating photos of Jerry or something? Can someone please explain to me why he has a job?

he's working but not on the payroll, unbeknownst to him ala Office Space.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2518905 said:
Seriously, does Wade Wilson have discriminating photos of Jerry or something? Can someone please explain to me why he has a job?

I dont get it and to think David lee was available to come back to the league.

But jerry and wade wanted any semblance of that staff gone, and much like the opening wade pc there were plenty of backhanded comments thrown around.

last season with part of that staff the team went 13-3 and that gave jerry and wade the arrogance to say the staff is now better, especially jerry with that foolish this is the best coaching staff we have ever had nonsense.

I think in time, the players will or maybe do already know the difference.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Chief;2518910 said:
In Miami, he has the full backing and support of the people above him (Parcells and Ireland). He is on the same page with those guys and they have a formula for building a team. They seem to be in agreement on the types of players they want and the way they want things done.

In Dallas, he would be like Chan Gailey -- constantly looking over his shoulder as key players go over his head to Jerry. And of course, Jerry probably bringing in players and assistant coaches that Sparano wouldn't even want.

That really depresses me... You're absolutely right.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chief;2518910 said:
We've talked about this before. I don't think Sparano has the same success in Dallas that he's having in Miami.

You think Sparano is calling the personnel shots in Miami? They may be in agreement on them, but that's only because Sparano wouldn't stick his neck out over Bill or Ireland.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2518907 said:
Didn't almost all of them get promotions?

Back on topic. I was screaming bloody murder when Sparano lost his playcalling duties to Garrett. That was embarrassing and really fit into the "Jerry likes the flashy" meme. Fortunately for him, Garrett was hugely popular at the time amongst fans. Unfortunately for him, he was woefully underqualified for the position.

Yes, in 08. IN 07 when jerry interviewed sporano and everyone played it off as a courtesy interview, he could have hired him that day. It would have kept the continuity here.

and garrett and his brother who I happen to like, could still have been brought aboard in there current position.

Paul Pasqualoni who ware and bradie loved, was never given serious consideration as a defensive coordinator by Jerry and now look.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
theogt;2518917 said:
You think Sparano is calling the personnel shots in Miami?

No. But I think he's probably on the same page as the guys who do.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
As much as I liked what Parcells did here, Parcells way of winning resulted in zero SB championships since 1991. Yes, I'm not including Belicheat's victories.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2518841 said:
I think it was time for him and Jerry to part ways so I consider that a good choice by both men. However, the extrication of Sparano might haunt us for many years to come. The guy has a great mix of military grunt in him and a side that just makes players want to go out and lay it on the line for him. He is an offensive mastermind that was blossoming in our system and the Tuna plucked him from us. :(

The guys just flat out gets it done. He hasn't even been in Miami for a full season and has taken them from a 1-15 laugher to a 10-5 powerhouse with the possibility of winning their division just one year later. That's CRAZY....

Meanwhile, wer'e stuck with Red who appears to be regressing from his shades of improvement shown last season. He has got to get more creative and move his WRs around to put them in better positions to make plays. This vanilla style of offense isn't going to get us very far...

It would be nice to see a balanced attack between the run and pass. Keep defenses honest and mix some creativity into the pass plays... & feed feed feed Tashard Choice please! :bang2:

I think Garrett has an early '90s Cowboys mentality. "It doesn't matter if you know what plays we are going to run, we will just out-execute you and beat you anyway". The problem is that this group of offensive players doesn't execute that well, so Red needs to change that attitude and play to exploit the defense instead of running roughshod over them with a predictable strategy.

bysbox1

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2518841 said:

I was getting ready to start a thread about this similar topic (and I may anyway).

How much do we mis Sparano and David Lee?

David Lee left in 2006 and while I believe he may have been a much more disciplined QB coach for Romo, I think nothing hurt this offense more than the departure of Sparano.

Although Garrett was the OC last year, Sparano was Assistant Head Coach in charge of the offense and had a big hand in the weekly game plans. He had a big hand in how this offense was run last year.

And I have also noticed that a lot of the passing routes that we ran last year are no longer part of our arsenal. Unfortunately they were plays that ran well with the strength of this offense. I think the departure of Sparano and our Offensive struggles go hand in hand.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Funny, when Sean Payton had the Saints off to a great record the first year he left, even the Tuna himself chided the press for annointing him right away and said "Let's see him do it more than one year."

I was a Tony defender when he was here, and he's done a great job so far, but let's not go overboard. The main thing they did there was get a good QB. Parcells' connections definitely paid off in signing his former draftee in that case, but there's no way the Fins even get to .500 with John Beck or Cleo Lemon still under center.

BTW -- I absolutely agree with Chief's point about the need for one voice and the coach and GM to be completely on the same page all the time. That's something we don't necessarily have here. (Or absolutely don't have here.)

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
This could be like Sean Payton a couple of years ago, let's see if the League doesn't catch up to them next year.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2518923 said:
Yes, in 08. IN 07 when jerry interviewed sporano and everyone played it off as a courtesy interview, he could have hired him that day. It would have kept the continuity here.

and garrett and his brother who I happen to like, could still have been brought aboard in there current position.

Paul Pasqualoni who ware and bradie loved, was never given serious consideration as a defensive coordinator by Jerry and now look.
After the defensive performance in '06 it was clear that none of the defensive guys were keeping their jobs. And that shifted the HC search to a defensive Mr. Fix It -- and the rest is history.

I would have loved to have Sparano as our OC over Garrett, but even if we'd done that we'd have been out both of them probably in '08. Of course, then we could have brought in Cameron as OC under Wade. That would have been pretty sweet.

Chief;2518924 said:
No. But I think he's probably on the same page as the guys who do.
Oh yeah, I'm sure they're on the same page. As in, they call the shots and he doesn't stick his neck out.