Parcells: The Grinch Who Stole Sparano

AKATheRake

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2518993 said:
Sparano left to be a head coach. Jerry couldn't have kept him from going if he wanted to unless he promoted him to HC.

Exactly! He didn't have to go and get Garrett or Wade. In fact Jerry went and got Garrett thinking either head coach or OC when Sparano was there for either if he wanted. I know exactly what Jerry would have had to do to keep Sparano. Make him HC, but he didn't and he had the choice to after Parcells left and always considered Garrett the one to be. Even Wade was hired to get this defense going and provide time for Garrett to develop. Jerry jumped the gun with Garrett and that's why our coaching staff is where it is and structured the way it is. That's why Sparano isn't here.

Garrett didn't even get another team snuffing him out for an OC position at that time but Jerry was almost thinking HC on the guy. Sparano was being overlooked as soon as Parcells decided to leave. This cannot be disputed and Jerry barely gave Sparano an interview.

Now in regards to Miami, something does need to be straight here. In regards to personnel Parcells and Ireland are clearly in charge of that. Philosophy of team is mostly Parcells with Sparano sharing very similar philosophies but the coaching in practice and game day is no doubt Sparano. Jerry wanted a coach? He already had 1 here and Parcells brought the guy. He was also here 1 year after Parcells left. He didn't need to be stolen, Jerry wasn't putting up a fight and only Miami chased him. Garrett got more offers and interviews last year and you're telling me the offense is anywhere as effective and consistent as the 2 years prior?

I'm not saying I knew better, but I am saying I knew Sparano would be missed and I'm more importantly saying Jerry should be in the know as the owner. It was Parcells who reccommended to Jerry to interview coaches on the team anyways. Jerry was never going to give Sparano the shot. But he was willing to go after a QB coach who used to back his team up over hear say and a real good relationship building conversation. Once again, Jerry giving up the goods before anyone has to prove themselves. Next year we'll see how Sparano does with NE having their ace back and that division toughning up some more, but Jerry barely considered the guy and he had him right under his nose. The guy should be coach of the year. If not, Fischer.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2519202 said:
Didn't Wade publicly back Owens first? The head coach is a "coddler" too. Again, it's not that there's not a "singular voice" or that he "coddles" to the dismay of his coaches. They share the same philosophy. You just don't like that philosphy. And that's totally fine. But let's call it what it is.

again, I have openly said and will continue to until he changes that I dislike Jerry. Plain and simple. He is not a general manager. And unfortunately he makes the final decisions on everything that goes on with this organization.

He is fine as an owner. He wants to win and he puts the resources into winning, that is good. And it is a good fit when he has a real nfl person around him like jimmy and parcells. You can then take their expertise and match it with jerrys desire to win and deep pockets to make it happen when there are times worthy of spending money.

and umm, yes wade cottles the players too, its one of the reasons he is here, he was desperate for a job, he could run the 34 and he would never question the superstar players on this team. I dont understand how that is debatable?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2519243 said:
again, I have openly said and will continue to until he changes that I dislike Jerry. Plain and simple. He is not a general manager. And unfortunately he makes the final decisions on everything that goes on with this organization.

He is fine as an owner. He wants to win and he puts the resources into winning, that is good. And it is a good fit when he has a real nfl person around him like jimmy and parcells. You can then take their expertise and match it with jerrys desire to win and deep pockets to make it happen when there are times worthy of spending money.

and umm, yes wade cottles the players too, its one of the reasons he is here, he was desperate for a job, he could run the 34 and he would never question the superstar players on this team. I dont understand how that is debatable?
That was point re: Wade. He had the same philosophy as Jerry, so they are a "singular voice." Jerry isn't undermining Wade in any regard as you had suggested.

As for Jerry's role as a GM, all I've seen you complain about is that he "cottles" players. Is there anything else?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
theebs;2519243 said:

It's not debatable at all! Push over, lame duck, cupcake coach. Exactly why he's here plus the 34 while Garrett needed to be groomed. Jerry's boy crush on Red is why the coaching staff is structured as is and why Miami has Sparano.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2519252 said:
That was point re: Wade. He had the same philosophy as Jerry, so they are a "singular voice." Jerry isn't undermining Wade in any regard as you had suggested.

As for Jerry's role as a GM, all I've seen you complain about is that he "cottles" players. Is there anything else?

Wade would have gone along with any philosophy, he doesnt care if jerry hires trapeze artists to run their routine during practice, he saw his last chance at a head coaching job after being turned down by gb and sd.

I am trying to avoid getting into it with jerry the gm and the players. You keep thumping your chest about leonard davis, ken hamlin, pacman, owens etc...

He has put a handful of good players on this team in the last couple of years. Owens and pacman I wont comment on because you know how I feel about that and there is a reason no one else wanted them.

but if you seriously want to talk jerry the gm and his personnell decisions by all means lets dig in. Lets start with some of the drafts before parcells got here.

when you run into a good draft post jimmy-pre bill parcells let me know. I will gladly tip my hat to jerry. I can name the players one or two hands that jerry drafted that worth a darn in that time period.

And if you want to talk free agency and trades pre bill and post jimmy by all means lets do that.

otherwise keep thumping your chest about leonard davis. He is a damn good player and a good signing. The rest of his signings are up in the air. And I do like this years draft, it has the potential to be outstanding in the long run.

The 07 draft was serviceable too. How much? We wont know for a while. I really like spencer but to be fair we gave up a 2, 3 and 5 to get him, Nick folk has excelled where this team has needed him to at placekicking and allan ball looks like he will be a useful special teamer and a good sub package and backup cb for awhile. Deion anderson is hard to determine. We dont run all that well and we dont throw him the ball much anymore, but I do like him as a player and what he is about.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2519288 said:
Wade would have gone along with any philosophy, he doesnt care if jerry hires trapeze artists to run their routine during practice, he saw his last chance at a head coaching job after being turned down by gb and sd.

I am trying to avoid getting into it with jerry the gm and the players. You keep thumping your chest about leonard davis, ken hamlin, pacman, owens etc...

He has put a handful of good players on this team in the last couple of years. Owens and pacman I wont comment on because you know how I feel about that and there is a reason no one else wanted them.

but if you seriously want to talk jerry the gm and his personnell decisions by all means lets dig in. Lets start with some of the drafts before parcells got here.

when you run into a good draft post jimmy-pre bill parcells let me know. I will gladly tip my hat to jerry. I can name the players one or two hands that jerry drafted that worth a darn in that time period.

And if you want to talk free agency and trades pre bill and post jimmy by all means lets do that.

otherwise keep thumping your chest about leonard davis. He is a damn good player and a good signing. The rest of his signings are up in the air. And I do like this years draft, it has the potential to be outstanding in the long run.

The 07 draft was serviceable too. How much? We wont know for a while. I really like spencer but to be fair we gave up a 2, 3 and 5 to get him, Nick folk has excelled where this team has needed him to at placekicking and allan ball looks like he will be a useful special teamer and a good sub package and backup cb for awhile. Deion anderson is hard to determine. We dont run all that well and we dont throw him the ball much anymore, but I do like him as a player and what he is about.
It seems like you're fighting an old battle that I have no interest in. I'm willing to believe that Jerry and Ciskowski have learned something in the past decade and that those lessons have paid dividiends the past 2 offseasons. Until someone shows me otherwise, I'm going to be happy with the results.

The pre-Bill, post-Jimmy days were pretty dark. But until we return to that, I don't know why you'd say that it's here.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2519119 said:
In the last seven games, Dolphins opponents have a combined record of 35-70 for a winning percentage of .333.

If you take out the ONE winning team they've played in the last seven games -- New England -- Fins opponents are an incredible 25-65 for a winning percentage of .278.

Sounds like a team that wouldn't get blown out by the Rams.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2519317 said:
Sounds like a team that wouldn't get blown out by the Rams.
I bet a Brad Johnson-led Dolphins team might give them a run for their money. :eek::

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2519302 said:
It seems like you're fighting an old battle that I have no interest in. I'm willing to believe that Jerry and Ciskowski have learned something in the past decade and that those lessons have paid dividiends the past 2 offseasons. Until someone shows me otherwise, I'm going to be happy with the results.

The pre-Bill, post-Jimmy days were pretty dark. But until we return to that, I don't know why you'd say that it's here.

I didnt say it was here, I am simply saying this is how it started the last time. A talented team that could get by in some sketchy situations and through some sketchy coaches, but when those guys got old and lost some players to free agency who did the little things there was no one there to replace them and no one there to know how to replace them.

right now we are talented and can get by in the same situations. Jerry and tom ciskowski have not been asked to draft a quarterback, wide receiver, left tackle or any of the core defensive or offensive lineman because they were in place from the previous guy.

What he has done is drafted two talented running backs which is a plus and some good role players. Flozell adams is one of the handful of players from that awful time period who has been a good player and you can credit the left tackle to jerry, but it took alot I think from the former regime to keep him playing at a high level. Snd he identified a weakness in the secondary and drafted two young talented corners. Hats off to him for that.

But Color me not completely sold that anything has changed. Time will tell, and I will happily give jerry his due if the drafts stay serviceable and produce good players and lead to winning. that is all I want personally, keep drafting team oriented hard working players and stay away from the divas.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theogt;2519318 said:
I bet a Brad Johnson-led Dolphins team might give them a run for their money. :eek::

With or without Johnson, I doubt their defense would give up 21 points to what at the time was the 32nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL in the first quarter.

And probably their coaching staff is good enough at evaluating talent that they know Brad Johnson has no place on an NFL roster.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2519343 said:
With or without Johnson, I doubt their defense would give up 21 points to what at the time was the 32nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL in the first quarter.

And probably their coaching staff is good enough at evaluating talent that they know Brad Johnson has no place on an NFL roster.
Well, they did give up 21 points to the 25th ranked scoring offense in the NFL in the 2nd quarter alone last week. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Wow... I created this from work and didn't think it would sparks such debate. To me that just means it struck a nerve. I'll never understand why some of us post in threads just to say "I don't really care about your thread philosophy". By virtue of clicking and posting are you not admitting that you care a little?

Look... I didn't start this thread to say lookie lookie lookie at the Miami Dolphins. I simply wanted to vent about the absence of Sparano whom I believe was a very good coach that we mistakenly let float. I don't care if he was a Parcells disciple or not. He was and is a helluva coach. You put Sparano behind the reigns and this offense starts to make progress... Red still has a lot to learn as OC and is nowhere close to being ready for a HC position. If he can't make one phase churn like a well oiled machine I have no confidence that he can make all three go. Hopefully we can all agree on that. Even if we don't I respect your opinions.

You can have the greatest assembly of talent ever. That's a wonderful thought.. but if you don't have the creative minds to make that talent come together as one and reach a common goal as one then that talent will go to waste. There's no way anyone can dismiss what Miami is doing. They're on the way up and they haven't even started to really add pieces to the puzzle... I think that's great and I am no less of a Boys fan for thinking so.

Yes. Hindsight is indeed 20/20. I wish Sparano nothing but the best in his future endeavors and appreciate those that let me enjoy my little hindsight 20/20 rant. ;)

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
I think where we miss Sparano the most is on the offensive line. Last year our offensive line was the reason we went 13-3 and has completed a full regression this year.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
TheEnigma;2519864 said:
I think where we miss Sparano the most is on the offensive line. Last year our offensive line was the reason we went 13-3 and has completed a full regression this year.

I was told Hudson Houck was an upgrade.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
TheEnigma;2519864 said:

Last year Corey Proctor didn't have to play a significant amount of time.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maikeru-sama;2519872 said:
I was told Hudson Houck was an upgrade.
Yeah some thought. I thought the results would be about the same.

Proctor going down hurt. Flo regressed some.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2519875 said:
Yeah some thought. I thought the results would be about the same.

Proctor going down hurt. Flo regressed some.
Flo's trouble probably had something to do with having Procter next to him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Flat out the whole line is NOT playing as well as they did last year. Is anyone really trying to say they are? If we are going to work over Read for ST, then we have to look at Houck as regards the O line.