Parcells: The Grinch Who Stole Sparano

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;2519135 said:
If Wade is fired and Garrett is promoted to HC, yeah, I'll be right there with you, thinking Jerry's an idiot and is ruining the team.

But as long as we're winning, have competent coaches, constantly adding more talent, and are in the playoffs, I can't say that I can complain.

Me either

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2519137 said:
well if you cant see where jerry caters to the players I cant have an argument with you. That is what jerry does and always has.

if you dont think so, fine. End of discussion.
Your quote was:

So when he cottles players and then undermines his coaching staff, empowering the players we get nonsense like this season.
What are you talking about?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
theogt;2519135 said:
If Wade is fired and Garrett is promoted to HC, yeah, I'll be right there with you, thinking Jerry's an idiot and is ruining the team.

But as long as we're winning, have competent coaches, constantly adding more talent, and are in the playoffs, I can't say that I can complain.

Actually winning a play off game would be nice but I always thought the SB was the goal.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2519144 said:
What's looking so good about 2007 draft? Spencer has 4.5 sacks in 2 years (we were calling Spears a bust already with similar produciton and at least he could play two gaps against the run). Marten was out of the organization faster than Jacob Rogers. Free looked horrible in preseason games and looks to be nipping at Marten's heals. We got a mediocre, dime a dozen full back and a better than average place kicker (who is also well below average on kickoffs).

And Felix Jones.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2519144 said:
What's looking so good about 2007 draft? Spencer has 4.5 sacks in 2 years (we were calling Spears a bust already with similar produciton and at least he could play two gaps against the run). Marten was out of the organization faster than Jacob Rogers. Free looked horrible in preseason games and looks to be nipping at Marten's heals. We got a mediocre, dime a dozen full back and a better than average place kicker (who is also well below average on kickoffs).

the FB and the PK are both among the leagues better at their position...Spencer is going to be outstanding.

Marten, bad pick. Free I'm not ready to give up on. He certainly opened alot of eyes during his first TC and preseason before getting hurt.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dbair1967;2519114 said:
ok, but didnt Jones hire Parcells? He had 4yrs and never won a playoff game. He was the decision maker. he got everything he wanted here.

I think he realized what he was doing wasnt workign and did something about, he hired Parcells and gave him total control. The roster improved as did the product on the field. We've now had two drafts since Parcells left and both look pretty damn good. While I ultimately was unimpressed with Parcells' coaching of our team, he did change the culture and did help improve the scouting dept.

Yes Jerry hired parcells and hired jimmy johnson, the two best things he ever did.

You know why it took so long to get this organization turned around? Because all of jerry's previous work had to be undone and the organization had to be retrained on how to be successfull.

Bill called it the most difficult job of his life and being someone who followed him closely in new england, that is a mouthful. That patriots organization was a mess.

I am not saying parcells should have continued coaching, his message was worn out from his mouth. I think whole heartedly the organization should have recognized what it had in the assitant coaches.

now we are a loss away from hiring the next dave campo and getting rid of chan gailey again.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2519064 said:
My problem is Jerry JOnes doesnt have the NFL credibility to be that voice. He never has and he never will. So when he cottles players and then undermines his coaching staff, empowering the players we get nonsense like this season.

Jerry needs someone to save him from himself. He had that in jimmy and parcells and the results are there.

Now we are just on the jerry jones train ride with no plan and no structure again. WHere it is headed I have no idea. Nor does anyone else. but I know our best players are in their prime and I will be sick if jerry makes more bad coaching hires and chases rainbows coveting names.
I think you proved his point. It's Jerry's voice that you have a problem.

I question how someone with 20 years exp cannot have NFL credibility at this stage. There is a structure in place, however, you, and some others tend to prefer the traditional setup of an NFL organization (Silent Owner, GM, Head Scout, and coach). Nothing wrong with that, but that won't be the case as long as Jerry is here. At some point, one should just accept it. *shrug*

From a personnel standpoint, the future is bright in Dallas. Got a solid group of talent on the current roster. They are taking the best player available in the draft and signing pretty solid FAs. So far the only hits I see are at the backup OL spots. It's been that way for awhile now, unfortunately.

I just don't know how one cannot appreciate what's going on in Dallas. It can only get better as long as they continue to draft well.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2519144 said:
It's the entire offseason, free agents and all, including retaining our homegrown talent. That offseason we signed something like 6 pro bowlers to contracts.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2519148 said:
Actually winning a play off game would be nice but I always thought the SB was the goal.

Me too.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
dbair1967;2519134 said:
and of course the media was talking about how great the Fish defense was because of Parcells and Pasqualoni, and then yesterday they gave up almost 500 yds and 31 pts to Tyler Thigpen and the Chiefs

and the media has been spewing about Pasqualoni being a great HC candidate...YEAH RIGHT

color me unimpressed

Why does that not surprise me?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2519146 said:
Your quote was:

What are you talking about?

He publically backs owens, he encourages the behavior of the players we see on this team. They do that because they are allowed to because the owner has the final say. You think any of the coaches will take owens or pacman to task for anything? Of course not, they are not dumb, they will end up like Todd Haley.

Jerry has done this for ever, he did this with aikman. I love aikman but the quarterback shouldnt have a big say in what players and coaches are coming and going.

and again if you cant recgnize that Jerry caters to players demands then there is no need to discuss this. We already see this thing completely different.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theogt;2519160 said:
It's the entire offseason, free agents and all, including retaining our homegrown talent. That offseason we signed something like 6 pro bowlers to contracts.

Hamlin was a great signing for his price that offseason (of course, you would have to say he's been a pretty phenomenal bust for the price as a free agent signing the following offseason).

I guess I just don't consider paying a guard $50 million all that great an organizational and personnel accomplishment.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dave_in-NC;2519148 said:
I think we all want that, but nothing wrong with appreciating the work done to repair the organization's dearth of talent and build a constant contender as well as understanding that a superbowl champion isn't always created overnight.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2519179 said:
He publically backs owens, he encourages the behavior of the players we see on this team.
Didn't Wade publicly back Owens first? The head coach is a "coddler" too. Again, it's not that there's not a "singular voice" or that he "coddles" to the dismay of his coaches. They share the same philosophy. You just don't like that philosphy. And that's totally fine. But let's call it what it is.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2519149 said:
And Felix Jones.

Okay, add an often injured nickel RB to go along with the servicable OLB, the mediocre FB and the above average kicker. Oh, and the three busts in Marten, Free and Stanback.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2519157 said:
I think you proved his point. It's Jerry's voice that you have a problem.

I question how someone with 20 years exp cannot have NFL credibility at this stage. There is a structure in place, however, you, and some others tend to prefer the traditional setup of an NFL organization (Silent Owner, GM, Head Scout, and coach). Nothing wrong with that, but that won't be the case as long as Jerry is here. At some point, one should just accept it. *shrug*

From a personnel standpoint, the future is bright in Dallas. Got a solid group of talent on the current roster. They are taking the best player available in the draft and signing pretty solid FAs. So far the only hits I see are at the backup OL spots. It's been that way for awhile now, unfortunately.

I just don't know how one cannot appreciate what's going on in Dallas. It can only get better as long as they continue to draft well.

I havent disputed the fact that it is Jerrys voice I dont like *sigh*. I never have nor never will. He is not a qualified general manager. He is a wealthy owner who knows how to make money and promote his product.

I am not sure why some people cant realize that it takes more than talent to win and especially when the promoting of the talent is from within, from a certain voice for the most part.

I think the drafts have been solid. the 08 draft could turn out to be really good in time. But if everything is out of whack and there is not a one for all mentality then the individual talent will struggle in this team sport.*sigh*

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2519182 said:
Hamlin was a great signing for his price that offseason (of course, you would have to say he's been a pretty phenomenal bust for the price as a free agent signing the following offseason).

I guess I just don't consider paying a guard $50 million all that great an organizational and personnel accomplishment.
Davis has been our best lineman for the past two years. The $50 million number is meaningless as long as we're not in a bind financially -- and we're not.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbair1967
and of course the media was talking about how great the Fish defense was because of Parcells and Pasqualoni, and then yesterday they gave up almost 500 yds and 31 pts to Tyler Thigpen and the Chiefs

and the media has been spewing about Pasqualoni being a great HC candidate...YEAH RIGHT

color me unimpressed

And yet, in that weather they won the game.:D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2519212 said:
I havent disputed the fact that it is Jerrys voice I dont like *sigh*. I never have nor never will. He is not a qualified general manager. He is a wealthy owner who knows how to make money and promote his product.

I am not sure why some people cant realize that it takes more than talent to win and especially when the promoting of the talent is from within, from a certain voice for the most part.

I think the drafts have been solid. the 08 draft could turn out to be really good in time. But if everything is out of whack and there is not a one for all mentality then the individual talent will struggle in this team sport.*sigh*
It does take more than talent. It takes talent and coaching. All the GM can do is find the talent and hire the coaching.

He's done the former and the latter is debatable. I tend to believe our current coaching staff is just fine, but it's whatever.

If you don't like the coaching, say so. If you don't like the talent, say so. But that's ALL you can complain about regarding a GM. So complain about it.