Parcells: The Grinch Who Stole Sparano

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
No doubt, things will be different next year for teams like Atlanta and Miami.

It is hard to keep it going, as teams will be gunning for them.

But what both of them have done this year is impressive.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chief;2518924 said:
No. But I think he's probably on the same page as the guys who do.

He also knows if a player tries to go above his head and complain about how his system isn't "featuring his talents", said player will probably get a boot mark on his backside on his way out the door.

The same can't be said of all head coaches and organizations.

As in, they call the shots and he doesn't stick his neck out.

Why would he need to "stick his neck out"? Stick his neck out and do what? He comes from the school of philosophy as his boss. I imagine Sparano much more appreciates that his boss has his back, first and foremost.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
theogt;2518950 said:
Oh yeah, I'm sure they're on the same page. As in, they call the shots and he doesn't stick his neck out.

I'm not sure why you keep harping on this. Do you have evidence/information that Sparano secretly disagrees with Ireland and Parcells and is afraid to say anything?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chief;2518962 said:
I'm not sure why you keep harping on this. Do you have evidence/information that Sparano secretly disagrees with Ireland and Parcells and is afraid to say anything?
Did I even insinuate anything like that?

We all know Parcells. And we know that Ireland is a strong willed guy that is 100% a personnel man. To insinuate that this is "Sparano's team" or that Sparano is building the team or anything like that just seems silly to me.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2518917 said:
You think Sparano is calling the personnel shots in Miami? They may be in agreement on them, but that's only because Sparano wouldn't stick his neck out over Bill or Ireland.

thats true, but whats at the core of that is they are all on the same page and there is one voice, not contradicting voices from the staff and the players and owner/gm.

The Dallas Cowboys would have been setup for the next decade had Jerry allowed bill to stay as an advisor or the director of football operations or the real position he deserved GM.

We had everything in place. It took parcells a few years to get coaches around him he was comfortable with and a personell system in place. They finally did and then he left.

we would have had a fully functioning organization with all the right parts and one mindset, plus a young franchise qb and franchise defensive player in ware. Team and organzation first from the top down.

The players that griped about parcells could have been shown the door and told tough.

Now we are looking at a make or break game. If we lose, phillips will get shown the door and who knows what happens from there. For all we know jerry will hire jim fassel because he coached garrett and they get along or something dumb along those lines.

yesfan

Reaction score
Last year was still the team that Parcells built and this year is what these
interim coaches have produced.It's just incredible with this years draft and
the talent we already have, how inconsistent and poorly coached they really
are.I don't believe for a minute Bill ever was on board with TO.Jerry is like
PT Barnum with the big circus and wants those big star,high wire acts to
bring in the crowds and that just is not anywhere in the Parcells blueprint for
how to build a competitive football team.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2518841 said:
I think it was time for him and Jerry to part ways so I consider that a good choice by both men. However, the extrication of Sparano might haunt us for many years to come. The guy has a great mix of military grunt in him and a side that just makes players want to go out and lay it on the line for him. He is an offensive mastermind that was blossoming in our system and the Tuna plucked him from us. :(

The guys just flat out gets it done. He hasn't even been in Miami for a full season and has taken them from a 1-15 laugher to a 10-5 powerhouse with the possibility of winning their division just one year later. That's CRAZY....

Meanwhile, wer'e stuck with Red who appears to be regressing from his shades of improvement shown last season. He has got to get more creative and move his WRs around to put them in better positions to make plays. This vanilla style of offense isn't going to get us very far...

It would be nice to see a balanced attack between the run and pass. Keep defenses honest and mix some creativity into the pass plays... & feed feed feed Tashard Choice please! :bang2:

Awesome post! 1 thing I disagree with though, Parcells didn't have to steal Sparano. Jerry had his blinders looking toward Red and had Sparano that last year to show Garret what he knows about the players and buy Garrett adapting time. Other than Sparano's pay that's what he got for the job he did over here. Jerry literally gave Sparano to Parcells who always knew what he had in the guy who originally hired to be OL coach.

As much as people say Parcells left us in bad timing by not resigning right after the playoff loss, he left us with the guy who is proving he can get it done. Parcells was old and not himself coaching wise anymore, he admitted that, but he left some serious pieces to the puzzle and I'm sick of hearing he did quat for us here because he didn't win us a playoff game. Structurally things were in place. Coaching wise Parcells physically didn't have the drive but still had the football smarts that were manipulated by his lack of personal physicality play calling wise.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
theogt;2518969 said:
Did I even insinuate anything like that?

We all know Parcells. And we know that Ireland is a strong willed guy that is 100% a personnel man. To insinuate that this is "Sparano's team" or that Sparano is building the team or anything like that just seems silly to me.

I never insinuated that.

My point is that they have all worked together before and seem to share the same philosphy when it comes to organization, structure, players, etc.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2518973 said:
thats true, but whats at the core of that is they are all on the same page and there is one voice, not contradicting voices from the staff and the players and owner/gm.

The Dallas Cowboys would have been setup for the next decade had Jerry allowed bill to stay as an advisor or the director of football operations or the real position he deserved GM.

We had everything in place. It took parcells a few years to get coaches around him he was comfortable with and a personell system in place. They finally did and then he left.

we would have had a fully functioning organization with all the right parts and one mindset, plus a young franchise qb and franchise defensive player in ware. Team and organzation first from the top down.

The players that griped about parcells could have been shown the door and told tough.

Now we are looking at a make or break game. If we lose, phillips will get shown the door and who knows what happens from there. For all we know jerry will hire jim fassel because he coached garrett and they get along or something dumb along those lines.
It's definitely not the "singular voice" idea that's at play. We had more of a "two-headed monster" here when Bill was here than now.

If we're talking about pure personnel decisions, the last 2 years here have been fantastic. If you're talking about coaching the team, from what I can tell Jerry has next to no input. And what input that we know he's had (i.e., telling Wade to get off his butt and get this defense into gear) has been extremely helpful.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2518929 said:
Funny, when Sean Payton had the Saints off to a great record the first year he left, even the Tuna himself chided the press for annointing him right away and said "Let's see him do it more than one year."

I was a Tony defender when he was here, and he's done a great job so far, but let's not go overboard. The main thing they did there was get a good QB. Parcells' connections definitely paid off in signing his former draftee in that case, but there's no way the Fins even get to .500 with John Beck or Cleo Lemon still under center.

BTW -- I absolutely agree with Chief's point about the need for one voice and the coach and GM to be completely on the same page all the time. That's something we don't necessarily have here. (Or absolutely don't have here.)

I get all that with payton.

But what payton didnt and does not have, is the personnell department, scouting and assitant coaches that sporano has. Sporano and the miami dolphins are in tremendously good situation. the people who deserve control at all levels have it.

The dolphins need to find a franchise qb, if they do that team will have an arrow up for a number of years.

Having said all this, will sporano lose at some point? Absolutely, but I would bet on miami being successfull over the next 5 years at least.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2518980 said:
Awesome post! 1 thing I disagree with though, Parcells didn't have to steal Sparano. Jerry had his blinders looking toward Red and had Sparano that last year to show Garret what he knows about the players and buy Garrett adapting time. Other than Sparano's pay that's what he got for the job he did over here. Jerry literally gave Sparano to Parcells who always knew what he had in the guy who originally hired to be OL coach.

As much as people say Parcells left us in bad timing by not resigning right after the playoff loss, he left us with the guy who is proving he can get it done. Parcells was old and not himself coaching wise anymore, he admitted that, but he left some serious pieces to the puzzle and I'm sick of hearing he did quat for us here because he didn't win us a playoff game. Structurally things were in place. Coaching wise Parcells physically didn't have the drive but still had the football smarts that were manipulated by his lack of personal physicality play calling wise.

Sparano left to be a head coach. Jerry couldn't have kept him from going if he wanted to unless he promoted him to HC.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2518984 said:
It's definitely not the "singular voice" idea that's at play. We had more of a "two-headed monster" here when Bill was here than now.

If we're talking about pure personnel decisions, the last 2 years here have been fantastic. If you're talking about coaching the team, from what I can tell Jerry has next to no input. And what input that we know he's had (i.e., telling Wade to get off his butt and get this defense into gear) has been extremely helpful.

Dude, Jerry and wade contradict each other near daily. Jerry has full control, there is no denying that. Jerry as a person is like owens or irvin. He always thinks talent wins and coaching can get in the way of talent at all times. And when bill was here Jerry basically repeated what bill said verbatim on his shows. Now it is totally the opposite. It was one voice two mouths, now its 60 voices and 60 mouths.

that is why he repeatedly harps on how talented his teams are, and why he brings in coaches who will fall in line with his catering to the players.

and if you think jerry having to step in and get wade phillips to be more involved with the defense is a good thing I dont know what to say.

This team is taking the same course as the teams did in the past that jerry had full control of. And the same course all wade phillips coached teams take.

Time will tell, but I can not see how this style of management and coaching leads to anything but mediocrity and dissapointment.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2518993 said:
Sparano left to be a head coach. Jerry couldn't have kept him from going if he wanted to unless he promoted him to HC.

He interviewed him though in 07. its just that to everyone that was like a courtesy interview and he had no chance.

Jerry probably didnt believe in him because he was one of parcells soldiers and it was pretty clear jerry wanted everyone of those people gone.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chief;2518982 said:
I never insinuated that.

My point is that they have all worked together before and seem to share the same philosphy when it comes to organization, structure, players, etc.
Sorry, I just took your statement that he has the "full backing and support" from the guys above him wrong I guess. I thought you might have mean that he actually made decisions that would require the full backing and support from the guys above him.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
theogt;2519011 said:
Sorry, I just took your statement that he has the "full backing and support" from the guys above him wrong I guess. I thought you might have mean that he actually made decisions that would require the full backing and support from the guys above him.

I'm not talking about personnel issues like the draft.

I'm talking about (like Inman said) when a player tries to go over the coaches head, it's not going to work. Sparano knows he has their support.

I know it's impossible for you to believe that another franchise may have a better plan and a better organizational structure.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2519000 said:
Dude, Jerry and wade contradict each other near daily.
I seriously haven't heard them contradict each other at all.

Jerry has full control, there is no denying that. Jerry as a person is like owens or irvin. He always thinks talent wins and coaching can get in the way of talent at all times. And when bill was here Jerry basically repeated what bill said verbatim on his shows. Now it is totally the opposite. It was one voice two mouths, now its 60 voices and 60 mouths.

that is why he repeatedly harps on how talented his teams are, and why he brings in coaches who will fall in line with his catering to the players.
So Jerry is in full control, but there are mutliple voices? I don't get that. Either he is or he isn't.

and if you think jerry having to step in and get wade phillips to be more involved with the defense is a good thing I dont know what to say.
It worked, didn't it? It made the team better, didn't it? How is that not a good thing?

This team is taking the same course as the teams did in the past that jerry had full control of. And the same course all wade phillips coached teams take.

Time will tell, but I can not see how this style of management and coaching leads to anything but mediocrity and dissapointment.
So those teams went 22-8 and if we win this weekend, 23-8 and in the playoffs twice in two years? How is that a bad thing?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chief;2519017 said:
I'm not talking about personnel issues like the draft.

I'm talking about (like Inman said) when a player tries to go over the coaches head, it's not going to work. Sparano knows he has their support.

I know it's impossible for you to believe that another franchise may have a better plan and a better organizational structure.
So you know that (1) players do not go over Sparano's head, and (2) player do go over Wade's head?

I would believe it if I had some proof of some sort of difference between the two organizations. But there is no proof. It's only your opinion, and that's it.

Sparano doesn't call the personnel shots there. Wade doesn't call them here. Bill and Ireland essentially play the role of Jerry. It's what all GMs do. You can say Bill and Ireland are better at their job than Jerry in terms of being a GM, but I'm not sure I would trade our past 2 offseasons for 10 more offseasons of Bill and Ireland.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2519018 said:
I seriously haven't heard them contradict each other at all.

So Jerry is in full control, but there are mutliple voices? I don't get that. Either he is or he isn't.

So those teams went 22-8 and if we win this weekend, 23-8 and in the playoffs twice in two years? How is that a bad thing?

Like I said, time will tell.

The cowboys record in 94, 95 and 96 was pretty good too. But in the long run the philosophy and who was running showed up when the previous guys players got old and got going.

if we win the superbowl I will be right here telling you how happy i am to be wrong and how you can shuffle coaches and bring in problematic players who undermine the structure and power of the coaches and it doesnt matter.

But to me today, I firmly believe in doing things the other way because it is the track record that works. This is a team sport where everyone has to be together from the top to the bottom.

It is not horse racing where the rich guy can buy the most expensive horse and trainer and then have him win because as an individual that horse is more talented.

Jerry's way has never worked. Former players are luke warm about the guy and most coaches worth there salt dislike his ways. So until I see it win I wont believe it.

and the sad part is if we lose sunday the beat will just go on. Jerry has no one to lean on when times get rough again, so it will be needles in a haystack again type decision making.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
theogt;2519027 said:
So you know that (1) players do not go over Sparano's head, and (2) player do go over Wade's head?

I would believe it if I had some proof of some sort of difference between the two organizations. But there is no proof. It's only your opinion, and that's it.

Sparano doesn't call the personnel shots there. Wade doesn't call them here. Bill and Ireland essentially play the role of Jerry. It's what all GMs do. You can say Bill and Ireland are better at their job than Jerry in terms of being a GM, but I'm not sure I would trade our past 2 offseasons for 10 more offseasons of Bill and Ireland.

Extreme Idiotic Homer

Those are your words.;)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's great what the folks in Miami are doing, good for them. I hate that Sparano is gone, but I'm not yearning for his return either...

IMO, when it's all said and done, Parcells left and then decided to take over Miami's football operations. He then decided he wanted to hire Ireland. Ireland, of course, takes the promotion. They both then decide to hire Sparano as HC. Of course he takes his promotion. The defensive staff that left all had contracts on the table and chose to go to Miami with only Pasqualoni getting a promotion. These guys all left for what they think are better opportunities.

So, while Miami or Dallas Southeast has succeeded with what they've done, I honestly don't care what they have going on down there.