Parsons looks like a boom or bust pick to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I said same skill set.

That’s the problem on here. I can say someone has a similar skill set and you think I mean they are equal players.
Parsons looks just like jaylon. Very similar!!

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

It’s so stupid that I have to explain that but me saying they have similar skill sets just fries y’all’s brains.

What I didn’t account for with this player is Dallas using him as an edge rusher. If he can do that then pass rush > cover.

If he has no impact in the pass game than it’s a waste.

parsons and jaylon really look similar!!!
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is good for what ails the Cowboys!
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/43329/
From Ourlads website:
2021 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about MICAH PARSONS: Penn State, 6020 245 4.36. Junior entry, one year starter, Harrisburg, PA. Opted out of 2020 season and declared for the NFL draft. Named to several All-America teams. Has ideal size for an off the ball linebacker. Versatile prospect who can line up inside or outside. Explosive athlete with outstanding lateral movement and a closing burst in pursuit. Instinctive versus the run he plays downhill, fit inside gaps and chase outside with equal ability. Consistently gets to plays on the edge before a back can turn the corner. Redirects well in space and gets to top speed in a hurry. Physical attacking blocks he can quickly strike and shed on the move. Doesn’t stay blocked, continually works to the ball. Gets over the top of down blocks on power without losing leverage on the ball. Physical tackler he gathers and finishes consistently dropping ball carriers in their tracks. Solid pass rusher he can turn the corner or bull rush a blocker back to the quarterback. Creates consistent pressure. Has flashed cover ability and can match a back. Has not been involved much in covering vertical releases. Zone awareness is a work in progress as he has not been used often as a zone defender. Was used more often as an outside blitzer than in coverage. Has missed an occasional tackle under running a play due to over aggressiveness. Other than that he is a player without noticeable weaknesses. An elite player who projects high in the draft. He can make any NFL defense better. Pro day numbers: 10-6/ BJ, 6.89/3 cone. 2019 stats: 109 T, 14 TFL, 5 sacks, 5 PBU, 4 QBH, 4 FF. First round. (A-31 1/2, H-11, BP-19, SS-4.40, VJ-34).

quickccc

Reaction score
I just feel like he doesn't fill the hole and we already have that with Jaylon. He's a read and run LB same as Jaylon. I didn't want a corner and am glad we didn't take one but I would love to see us focus on the defensive line in round 2 and maybe a guy like Adebo in the 3rd or a trade up.

SMH,.. how can you already come to that conclusion in just a mere 2-3 defensive series in the preseason ?
or this yet another one that was hearing Jaylon Smith comparisons at Draft time ? :confused:

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don’t know what he can do this year but Jaylon at his worst can go sideways and come downhill.

That’s his best SKILL SET which is also… Parsons best skill set….

Now if Parsons can cover or edge rush then that’s a skill set that makes him worthy of a first round pick.

This is so simple to understand I would think.
Dude you can't have honest conversations here without people feeling like you are kicking their dog. Somehow everyone here has gotten super sensitive and personally invested in 1 player or 2. Not being critical just pointing out the atmosphere.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
parsons and jaylon really look similar!!!
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Parsons has a similar skill set to Jaylon coming out of college yes.

Both sideline to sideline guys who can come down hill. It’s really not even an outrageous statement.

I still have the question of can he cover BUT it doesn’t matter if he can cover if he can provide consistent pressure as a edge rusher.

If he just blitzes time to time up the middle and can’t cover then he’s a faster Jaylon at the end of the day. He has to impact the pass game. End of.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Is running a 4.39 40 supposed to be bad for coverage? His 3-cone was elite as well. Athletically he's blue chip. He just needs proper coaching/scheme. LBs that are big and fast and can play 3 downs are hard to find and worth a high 1st rounder. Should be nothing like Jaylon because he doesn't have the near career ending nerve damage knee injury.
They believed Jaylon was a two year project when they drafted him,, the patience of Jerry is truly amazing.

quickccc

Reaction score
He is good for what ails the Cowboys!
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/43329/
From Ourlads website:
2021 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about MICAH PARSONS: Penn State, 6020 245 4.36. Junior entry, one year starter, Harrisburg, PA. Opted out of 2020 season and declared for the NFL draft. Named to several All-America teams. Has ideal size for an off the ball linebacker. Versatile prospect who can line up inside or outside. Explosive athlete with outstanding lateral movement and a closing burst in pursuit. Instinctive versus the run he plays downhill, fit inside gaps and chase outside with equal ability. Consistently gets to plays on the edge before a back can turn the corner. Redirects well in space and gets to top speed in a hurry. Physical attacking blocks he can quickly strike and shed on the move. Doesn’t stay blocked, continually works to the ball. Gets over the top of down blocks on power without losing leverage on the ball. Physical tackler he gathers and finishes consistently dropping ball carriers in their tracks. Solid pass rusher he can turn the corner or bull rush a blocker back to the quarterback. Creates consistent pressure. Has flashed cover ability and can match a back. Has not been involved much in covering vertical releases. Zone awareness is a work in progress as he has not been used often as a zone defender. Was used more often as an outside blitzer than in coverage. Has missed an occasional tackle under running a play due to over aggressiveness. Other than that he is a player without noticeable weaknesses. An elite player who projects high in the draft. He can make any NFL defense better. Pro day numbers: 10-6/ BJ, 6.89/3 cone. 2019 stats: 109 T, 14 TFL, 5 sacks, 5 PBU, 4 QBH, 4 FF. First round. (A-31 1/2, H-11, BP-19, SS-4.40, VJ-34).

Thanks for the read out
.. :thumbup:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Both sideline to sideline guys who can come down hill. It’s really not even an outrageous statement.

I still have the question of can he cover BUT it doesn’t matter if he can cover if he can provide consistent pressure as a edge rusher.

If he just blitzes time to time up the middle and can’t cover then he’s a faster Jaylon at the end of the day. He has to impact the pass game. End of.
FYI……he was never bad at coverage: just something he didn’t do a lot of do people wrote about it as a possible weakness. 4.3, long and athletic.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
so you wouldn’t know a linebacker or a good center when you see one? You are really bad at this football stuff.
Parsons question marks coming out of college was his coverage at times and his angles. What's so hard to understand about that?

"Negatives: Instincts run hot and cold. Inefficient getting to the action. Does not drive through tackles. Possesses average ball skills in coverage."

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/micah-parsons-nfl-draft-player-profile-penn-state-linebacker/

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dude you can't have honest conversations here without people feeling like you are kicking their dog. Somehow everyone here has gotten super sensitive and personally invested in 1 player or 2. Not being critical just pointing out the atmosphere.

These clowns think they got me or something because I pointed out Jaylons strengths and said that Parsons has the same strengths unless he proves he can cover which he still hasn’t shown.

I’m also admitting that I didn’t see this edge rush / Von Miller type presence from him. Especially with Dallas being a 4-3 team.

If he’s lining up and rushing the QB consistently then that matters more than covering.

If he was just a blitzing MLB then how often are you gonna blitz that guy? He has to impact the pass game or he’s just a fast Jaylon.

Flamma

Reaction score
He has to prove he can cover or it’s a bust.

He runs a 4.39 40.. NFL linebackers in this era have to be able to cover.

He’s just a old school sideline to sideline and downhill guy.

That’s cool until Andy Reid decides to spread your team out and isolate you and get you cover TEs that run like wideouts and RBs who can play like wideouts.

Im not saying he can’t cover but it’s a projection.

In cases where a team spreads out their offense there is an alternative to coverage. Blitz. Send one more than they have blockers. Don't give the QB any time. Yeah it's risky. It's what the Giants did to us in 2016 whenever Dallas had an empty backfield. They sent 6. Dak had 0 time to throw.

jrumann59

Reaction score
These clowns think they got me or something because I pointed out Jaylons strengths and said that Parsons has the same strengths unless he proves he can cover which he still hasn’t shown.

I’m also admitting that I didn’t see this edge rush / Von Miller type presence from him. Especially with Dallas being a 4-3 team.

If he’s lining up and rushing the QB consistently then that matters more than covering.

If he was just a blitzing MLB then how often are you gonna blitz that guy? He has to impact the pass game or he’s just a fast Jaylon.
I hear you. There is always people willing to defend a position to defend a position.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Soon to be if not already 250 lbs, 4.39 speed.. dont care if he needs to be schooled a few times in coverage as a learning rook ,, he will learn and become better in coverage, point is
Parsons is our best player on this entire defense,, peeps even questioning MPs playability is simply being lazy irresponsible not knowing what they are even talking about.
Best D player in the draft and we got to add Wright because of the trade down pick.
I believe Wright was the result,, now I have to go look to confirm... lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Stop it. They are complete opposites. Jaylon is a finesse linebacker and parsons is a monster in the backfield filling the holes wreaking havoc.

JBS

Reaction score
I don’t know what he can do this year but Jaylon at his worst can go sideways and come downhill.

That’s his best SKILL SET which is also… Parsons best skill set….

Now if Parsons can cover or edge rush then that’s a skill set that makes him worthy of a first round pick.

This is so simple to understand I would think.

jaylon smith is not good in the run game. dress it up however you want, he stinks. Parsons is an elite run defender. There is already a massive gap between the two there. Justifying his first round pick status and his game vs Jaylons are two different arguments. Parsons won’t be worth a first round pick if he sucks vs the pass and can’t rush the passer. Luckily, that isn’t the case.

conner01

Reaction score
I think the odds of bust is extremely low
Hopefully he’s an elite LB but I think his floor is high enough he won’t be a bust. At the very least he will be a good LB but has the potential to be a great LB
Any rookie is all about potential since they haven’t played at this level yet

Status
Not open for further replies.