Patrick Chung - why the love

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
headhunterroy05;2694466 said:
I like Delmas and Chung and would take either. Their stats are pretty equal in all areas and Chung did face much better competition even though that doesn't always matter.

In 51 games Chung had 384 tackles, 17pbu and 9int.
In 45 games Delmas had 310 tackles, 18pbu and 12 int.

I don't dislike Delmas, but he would have to be a FS in the NFL, and I'm not sure I'm wanting Hamlin at SS

jday

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2694465 said:
he'd battle with Sensabaugh to start at SS, not to mention Sensabaugh is only signed to a 1-year deal, and special teams could use another sure-tackling rocket, or 5
Okay, but what about Corner and NT, where at the moment there is no competition to get involved in the Nickel and Dime defenses? I mean competition is great, but Junior Siavii, Tim Anderson, Alan Ball, and Michael Hawkins wouldn't really even be considered competition for players we could likely pick up in the 2nd and 3rd round. That's my only argument; well, that and Chung will likely not be available at the 51st pick.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2694469 said:
I don't dislike Delmas, but he would have to be a FS in the NFL, and I'm not sure I'm wanting Hamlin at SS

SS is like a FS in todays NFL schemes. Delmas could have the label "SS" but he'd be playing more of a FS type scheme.Put Hamlin more in the box and Delmas playing "centerfield" and covering the deep pass. Looks like we were doing that the latter part of the season..Problem is....We didn't have a safety to roam around back there and play "centerfield". We can't have 2 in the box safeties (Chung and Hamlin)..that's what linebackers are for.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2694473 said:
SS is like a FS in todays NFL schemes. Delmas could have the label "SS" but he'd be playing more of a FS type scheme.Put Hamlin more in the box and Delmas playing "centerfield" and covering the deep pass. Looks like we were doing that the latter part of the season..Problem is....We didn't have a safety to roam around back there and play "centerfield".

the SS position is changing, you need to be able to run in coverage, but you still need to be a force against the run there, be able to shed blocks, take down the ballcarrier most if not every time, which Delmas isn't

and are you sure you want Hamlin in the box? he's not a force against the run either, it would be a stretch to place him even above-average in that department, and he already fills our centerfielder position quite nicely, in fact the farther he is away from the action near the LOS, the better

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2694474 said:
the SS position is changing, you need to be able to run in coverage, but you still need to be a force against the run there, which Delmas isn't

and are you sure you want Hamlin in the box? he's not a force against the run either, it would be a stretch to place him even above-average in that department, and he already fills our centerfielder position quite nicely

Ughhhh..there just isn't any hope for you. I'm sorry.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2694475 said:
Ughhhh..there just isn't any hope for you. I'm sorry.

no, I'm sorry, Delmas is pesky against the run, but he's no force

and Hamlin collected 6 INTs as our CF in '07, and was a complete wash trying to come up and support the run

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Is Delmas the one that tackles dangerously and puts his head down a lot? IMO we would be better off with Hamlin at FS and Chung at SS, but I won't argue one bit if we land Delmas.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2694473 said:
We can't have 2 in the box safeties (Chung and Hamlin)..that's what linebackers are for.

Hamlin, an in-the-box safety? are you seriously??

ah:lmao2:

that's why he's played SS all these years? right?? the Cowboys even played with the idea that he could play SS, and then they went and signed Sensabaugh

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
headhunterroy05;2694480 said:
Is Delmas the one that tackles dangerously and puts his head down a lot? IMO we would be better off with Hamlin at FS and Chung at SS, but I won't argue one bit if we land Delmas.

yeah, the dude hits, but as far as tackling, he's more pesky than anything else

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere

blah blah blah

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I prefer Delmas but I could live with Chung. I just feel Chung is more of the same of what we've had at safety the last few years. If he became a Cowboy, I'd hope I was wrong about that.

The one thing I do like about Chung is that he is still young, he started college at 16, and is athletic enough to return kicks.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2694513 said:
I prefer Delmas but I could live with Chung. I just feel Chung is more of the same of what we've had at safety the last few years. If he became a Cowboy, I'd hope I was wrong about that.

The one thing I do like about Chung is that he is still young, he started college at 16, and is athletic enough to return kicks.

Chung is only 20??

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2694516 said:
Chung is only 20??

He's 21, he may have redshirted.

Another thing about Chung, is that at 5-11, 205, 4.49 40 time, and a willingness to hit, he reminds me of another Pac-10 safety// I can't remember his name but he went to an amazing college and his hair is always covering up his name on his jersey.

I didn't know it but I just sold myself on Patrick Chung. I still like Delmas better but I feel he will go too high for us.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
he's gonna be 22 shortly

and it looks like he did redshirt, he enrolled in '04 when he was turning 17

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jday;2694464 said:
My only issue with the idea of picking up Chung with our 51st pick is that he likely will never see any playing time, unless on special teams. Whereas, a NT or CB with our current depth chart would likely be regular contributors.

Actually I think Chung or any other safety we might pick at 51 would see quite a bit of PT. And there's a very reasonable chance they could start with a good TC and preseason.

There's zero chance a rookie NT or CB starts here, unless somebody gets hurt.