Patrick Chung - why the love

RESIN8

Reaction score
Please draft BPA. This Chung thing was written as a need. I like the guy, but I'm pretty sure he can be had later in the second round.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2694727 said:
Roy Williams, 6'1" 219: 4.53 40, 1.62 10-yard
Patrick Chung, 5'11" 212: 4.49 40, 1.49 10-yard

as you can see, Chung is a bit more explosive, and noone said Roy was quick anything coming out

the Roy comparisons are way off-base

You're wasting your time quoting numbers, most of these guys have already made up their mind.

I'm not sure people understand that if you want a SS that can cover like a corner, hit like a linebacker and runs a 4.3, you better have a top 10 pick, those guys aren't falling from the sky.

jday

Reaction score
dbair1967;2694530 said:
Actually I think Chung or any other safety we might pick at 51 would see quite a bit of PT. And there's a very reasonable chance they could start with a good TC and preseason.

There's zero chance a rookie NT or CB starts here, unless somebody gets hurt.
It's called "Defensive Line Rotation." Jay Ratliff is not going to play every defensive snap, he needs someone who can fill in for him to keep him fresh and in Nickel and Dime defenses, to line up next to him. Do the math: At NT we currently have Jay Ratliff and Junior Siavii. To receive significant play time, a NT would only have to beat out Junior in training camp, which shouldn't be too difficult. At Corner we have T. Newman, M. Jenkins. and O. Scandrick. The Dime defense calls for 4 CB. The Quarter defense calls for 5. At Safety the Cowboys have Ken Hamlin, Gerard Sensabaugh, Keith Davis (for the momemt), Patrick Watkins, Courtney Davis, Jerome Carter, and Tra Battle. Granted, Patrick Chung may see playing time, but the odds are better for a NT or CB, IMO.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
What about Macho Harris of Va. Tech.. He might be to slow to play DB on the next level but he can cover, tackles well, is a ballhawk and return kicks...

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Emanuel Cook from South Carolina.

All SEC, Jim Thorp finalist, great special teamer, he's built like Bob Sanders and brings the wood. He also has a swagger about him that our secondary desperately needs.

I see him falling to the 3rd, but the Texans are really high on Gamecock DBs (no idea why) and Carolina has heard/seen a lot him, so I see him going to one of them in the 3rd or 4th.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jday;2695104 said:
It's called "Defensive Line Rotation." Jay Ratliff is not going to play every defensive snap, he needs someone who can fill in for him to keep him fresh and in Nickel and Dime defenses, to line up next to him. Do the math: At NT we currently have Jay Ratliff and Junior Siavii. To receive significant play time, a NT would only have to beat out Junior in training camp, which shouldn't be too difficult. At Corner we have T. Newman, M. Jenkins. and O. Scandrick. The Dime defense calls for 4 CB. The Quarter defense calls for 5. At Safety the Cowboys have Ken Hamlin, Gerard Sensabaugh, Keith Davis (for the momemt), Patrick Watkins, Courtney Davis, Jerome Carter, and Tra Battle. Granted, Patrick Chung may see playing time, but the odds are better for a NT or CB, IMO.

And god forbid that Ratliff got hurt-- We'd be up the creek without a paddle. I can't think of another starting position on the team where we have less adequate depth.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I'm for Ron Brace if he's there at 51 or Scott with our next pick.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2695124 said:
And god forbid that Ratliff got hurt-- We'd be up the creek without a paddle. I can't think of another starting position on the team where we have less adequate depth.

Another reason I didn't understand just 'giving' Fergy away.

I hope we wait and not reach at 51 because we need DT depth though. There are going to be some really good WRs/DBs/ILBs on the board on the first day - and I think with Spears ability to slilde in or out, we'll wait until the 4th or 5th before we start looking for a big fella.

We also saw what happend when Kyle Kosier goes down, we need to get younger there too.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apollo Creed;2695136 said:

I hope we wait and not reach at 51 because we need DT depth though. There are going to be some really good WRs/DBs/ILBs on the board on the first day - and I think with Spears ability to slilde in or out, we'll wait until the 4th or 5th before we start looking for a big fella.

We also saw what happend when Kyle Kosier goes down, we need to get younger there too.

Well if Ferguson didn't have a cap hit of $5 mil and wasn't old and hadn't been injured for virtually an entire year-- he probably wouldn't have been given away.

But good depth doesn't mean keeping someone around whose long in the tooth and is chewing up tons of cap space.

Hey, we definitely need depth but a mid-30's Ferguson isn't the answer-- a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick in this years draft is.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2695124 said:
Maybe left tackle.

The team is undermanned at both positions. I worry about LT even more than NT, given Adams' age.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Apollo Creed;2695136 said:

Ferguson made a lot of $$$ and they thought Tank Johnson would actually make an effort.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2695191 said:
Maybe left tackle.

The team is undermanned at both positions. I worry about LT even more than NT, given Adams' age.

Have we even really seen Free play?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2695198 said:
Have we even really seen Free play?

Umm. No.

And at least Free is a 4th round pick who showed a little in camp two years ago.

Behind Ratliff, we have no one who's shown anything.

pgreptom

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2694450 said:
Your getting demolished in this argument. Your not going to win. Just quit while your behind..Your post about his positives and negatives just proved my point of what kind of player he is.

Your shows possession.

You're is a contraction for you and are.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2695223 said:
Umm. No.

And at least Free is a 4th round pick who showed a little in camp two years ago.

Behind Ratliff, we have no one who's shown anything.

We can probably sign a guy or draft a guy later that is as effective as Tank was, only reason to take a guy early is if he's special, drafting for pure need is bad news.

If Brace is that guy, then so be it, but I wouldn't draft him out of fear.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2695298 said:
We can probably sign a guy or draft a guy later that is as effective as Tank was, only reason to take a guy early is if he's special, drafting for pure need is bad news.

If Brace is that guy, then so be it, but I wouldn't draft him out of fear.

I wouldn't draft Brace automatically in round 2 either (if he were available) but by the end of the 4th round-- I'd have a NT drafted.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I would rather not draft Chung. You really have to see the big picture about him before forming an opinion about him. I agree that he is a big hitter, but when he is overmatched, there simply is no covering it up. He looks good blowing people up and against players that he is athletically superior to, but he will not be athletically superior to most of the NFL's talent. He will need help to disguise his coverage inabilities, but in today's NFL, the safeties need to be able to hold their own.

I would much rather have Moore, Johnson, or Delmas, in that order.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
JonJon;2695401 said:
I would rather not draft Chung. You really have to see the big picture about him before forming an opinion about him. I agree that he is a big hitter, but when he is overmatched, there simply is no covering it up. He looks good blowing people up and against players that he is athletically superior to, but he will not be athletically superior to most of the NFL's talent. He will need help to disguise his coverage inabilities, but in today's NFL, the safeties need to be able to hold their own.

I would much rather have Moore, Johnson, or Delmas, in that order.

I agree 100%..maybe not the Moore choice though..he's more of the same.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2695450 said:
I agree 100%..maybe not the Moore choice though..he's more of the same.
Moore is more athletic than Chung though and won't be as easily outmatched at the next level. He makes more plays on the ball and would be great at SS. The only thing that worries me about Moore is his injuries.