Patrick Chung - why the love

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2694552 said:
hey, hey, hey now, let's not lose our coolz here

give me the rest of your draft list...let me go to work on the bashing

then after I bash them, we'll draft them, I'll immediately state they are all the best players in the league because we have them

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2694445 said:
Ummm so he's a in the box safety and big hitter..good for him. We just got rid of a player doing that exact thing. NEXT PLEASE!

Read the bold parts in the Negatives..couldn't have said it better myself..

Umm, Roy Williams lost his nack for being a big hitter. Heck, he forgot how to tackle. How times have we seen Roy go in with a shoulder, not wrap up, and the would-be runner would bounce off and pick up another 5 to 10 yards? Good riddance.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not big on Chung.

Not good in coverage. And after he ages a little (ala Roy) and loses a wee bit of speed, he'll be even worse.

No thanks. I'm sick of watching safeties that can't cover.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2694680 said:
I'm not big on Chung.

Not good in coverage. And after he ages a little (ala Roy) and loses a wee bit of speed, he'll be even worse.

No thanks. I'm sick of watching safeties that can't cover.

I'm not that big on Chung but ...

unlike Roy he has real speed (4.49 40 time). He is athletic enough to return kicks at Oregon (who has their choice of athletes to let return kicks) and he's only 21. He could be "coached up" in the NFL.

Texan_Eph89

Reaction score
Sean Smith and Delmas are the best cover safeties in the draft. Sean Smith is a CB, but I see him switching pretty soon. He's built like a S, not a CB.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2694473 said:
SS is like a FS in todays NFL schemes. Delmas could have the label "SS" but he'd be playing more of a FS type scheme.Put Hamlin more in the box and Delmas playing "centerfield" and covering the deep pass. Looks like we were doing that the latter part of the season..Problem is....We didn't have a safety to roam around back there and play "centerfield". We can't have 2 in the box safeties (Chung and Hamlin)..that's what linebackers are for.

This is how I'm seeing it. Safties have to cover in today's game. The ones that can't are liabilities.

Of course they have to tackle, but so do CB's. Open field tackling has little to do with size and strength and everything to do with quickness and desire.

Give me safties with quickness, coverage ability and a willingness to tackle. They don't have to big hitters. They don't ned to have the size and strength to take on and defeat the blocks of TEs and FB's in the box. I'll keep them out of the box for the most part, positioned to run around those blockers.

I think today's safties have to have a similar skill set as CB's. Do you loose something when you need to drop a weaker S down in the box for run support? Of course. But your defense gains more in the pass defense.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2694686 said:

unlike Roy he has real speed (4.49 40 time). He is athletic enough to return kicks at Oregon (who has their choice of athletes to let return kicks) and he's only 21. He could be "coached up" in the NFL.

I don't think Chung is comparable to Roy. Any player who spent one play at CB shouldn't be. Come on, Roy was a hybrid LB in college.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chris in SoCal;2694686 said:

I don't have Roy's draft info in front of me but he was in that area (4.49) or he wouldn't have been drafted as high as he was.

Returning kicks is athletic, but athletic doesn't mean "good in coverage" either.

And I have no faith in this coaching staff being able to "coach up" anyone at this point.

Hey, if we had a decent coverage safety, I could get on this kid's bandwagon, but like someone else said, he's the same freaking type of safety who has permeated this roster for years now. A hitter who's coverage skills aren't anything to write home about.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Rashad Johnson cannot play SS. All reports, confirmed by your eyes if you've watched any games, is that he is built like a corner_very light.

Delmas is much more like Roy (and Hamlin) with his tackling style. If he doesn't blow you up, he will either bounce off, eat turf or injure himself. NONE of the safeties in this draft are as money in eliminating RAC than Chung is. Don't know about anyone else but I am sick and tired of all the frikkin missed tackles & bounce offs.

Chung not only hits hard, he wraps up, he is the best, most consistent form tackler available. He is a playmaker and his role was more like a rover at Oregon, emphasis on stopping the run. But his athleticism & speed, not to mention the most important factor_HIS INTANGIBLES (leadership, character, football IQ, work ethic, instincts & intensity)_will allow him to improve in coverage.

And if people are going to knock Chung's 4.49, then why the love for Delmas' 4.53?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2694706 said:
I don't have Roy's draft info in front of me but he was in that area (4.49) or he wouldn't have been drafted as high as he was.

Returning kicks is athletic, but athletic doesn't mean "good in coverage" either.

And I have no faith in this coaching staff being able to "coach up" anyone at this point.

Hey, if we had a decent coverage safety, I could get on this kid's bandwagon, but like someone else said, he's the same freaking type of safety who has permeated this roster for years now. A hitter who's coverage skills aren't anything to write home about.

Roy Williams, 6'1" 219: 4.53 40, 1.62 10-yard
Patrick Chung, 5'11" 212: 4.49 40, 1.49 10-yard

as you can see, Chung is a bit more explosive, and noone said Roy was quick anything coming out

the Roy comparisons are way off-base

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JerryAdvocate;2694727 said:
Roy Williams, 6'1" 219: 4.53 40, 1.62 10-yard
Patrick Chung, 5'11" 212: 4.49 40, 1.49 10-yard

as you can see, Chung is a bit more explosive, and noone said Roy was quick anything coming out

the Roy comparisons are way off-base

I still don't like the guy at #51.

So there.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
That's why it's difficult in the draft, just like we all have our certain guys we like more. But in all honesty none of us know which safety is going to turn out to be the best. I'm fine if we end up with Delmas or Chung amongst others safeties.