Patrick Robinson "expected to sign" Per Rapoport

Sydla

Reaction score
Everyone is talking about "value" but I don't think they really understand what that means.

Emmitt at 4 is worth every penny. Emmitt at 1 is worth every penny.

Any HoF RB is worth a top pick.

If EE is a Pro Bowler at 4 it is a value success.

Again, you are operating with the benefit of hindsight. Sure, looking back, Smith could have been worth the 1st pick in that draft.

Then you also trying to apply thought processes and practices from 25+ years ago to today's draft.

In a non-salary cap age, you could take a guy like Smith and if he sucked or got hurt, you could just overpay for a TB to replace him if that was a big need. You can't really do that in today's game and the Cowboys have clearly said that they have a price tag on the TB position given they believe they wear down fast and take a big pounding relative to other positions. If there was no cap, I suspect the Cowboys would be singing a different tune.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Like he said, power of hindsight.

The Patriots should have traded all of their 2000 draft picks plus their 2001 1st rounder to draft Brady. They would have been laughed out of the NFL for doing it because Brady's value at the time was later in the draft.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Emmitt at 4 in hindsight is an obvious no brainer.

But AD at 4 is a definite yes. So is Gurley, even after seeing him for one year.

Elliott is supposedly an RB scouted as highly as AD or Gurley. We've had our most success since the Emmitt days when we had a dominant elite RB running behind this o line. There are none left in free agency.

Get Elliott and you don't have to worry about the offense at all. I would love to trade down and get him if possible. But I don't know if we will get that chance.

I would also love drafting Derrick Henry in the second round and selecting BPA at 4, but who knows if Henry will still be there.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Elliott is a good back. If the Cowboys believe he's a premier back AND they believe someone will draft him in the 5-9 range AND the players they had graded equal to or higher than Eliott, then you take him.

Right now, it appears that the value for Elliott is around pick 10-15, so you trade down some.

I could be wrong and/or that can change between now and draft day. That's the fun and challenge of all this.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about "value" but I don't think they really understand what that means.

Emmitt at 4 is worth every penny. Emmitt at 1 is worth every penny.

Any HoF RB is worth a top pick.

If EE is a Pro Bowler at 4 it is a value success.

Most people struggle with the notion of probability and instead handwave at their preferred outcome.

That is why we're comparing him to Emmitt. It is nonsense.

Gurley last year if healthy is a top 5 pick. AP is a top 5 pick. He doesn't have transcendent athleticism like a CJ.

He is not a generational talent. I think he compares to Gordon last year.

Given our offense we got even less athletic Murray to OPotY and DMC on pace for 1400 yards without wasting time on Randle. For the 4th pick he better put up 2000 total yards.

Then of course there is a discussion of the actual market for RB where the top FA RB is going to make 90% of what the 4th pick is scheduled to get. It's hardly a discount at all even if he does succeed. That isn't value.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I thought Farmers Branch folk ate like steak and stuff.

Don't confuse me with that other ruffian. BTW: he found Ms. Busty, found a job, went to rehab and is supposedly on his way back here; I will have to vacate the premises, such as they are when my never-do-well cousin returns. So count your blessings I am still here and not that . . . mangler of the Queen Mum's English!
also, wish me luck: I am a finalist to do the Manchester Rugby matches on local BBC. Yes, well, I am among 500 finalists, but still . . .

DTown214

Reaction score
Never heard of Patrick Robinson but he had more interceptions than Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne combined last season. He had one interception. I guess I'll take him :rolleyes:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If you can guarantee me that Zeke is Emmitt and will have that type of career then yes i'd take him at #4.

That is all that I was saying. Too many people are saying that no RBs can give you value at 4.

I used Emmitt as an example, but guys like AD, Tomlinson and Foster can produce enough to be worth it.

I think EE can be one of those backs but i still prefer a QB at 4.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I don't get it. Can someone explain to me why people aren't comparing Elliot to peterson coming out of college?

From the stats I saw, everything I watched and heard about him says he will be absolutely great in the NFL.

I don't buy into all this not drafting him at 4 bit. I guarantee you right now that if he is there at #8 eagles are grabbing him and they might even trade up a few to make sure they get him, so if they think he is worth a #8 spot, then you telling me we won't draft him because of a few picks difference?

Honestly, I would draft him. Wouldn't have any regrets about it because to me he would be worth that 4 pick considering what he would bring to this team.

I also would not have any regrets about drafting a QB because of where we are in the draft.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That is all that I was saying. Too many people are saying that no RBs can give you value at 4.

I used Emmitt as an example, but guys like AD, Tomlinson and Foster can produce enough to be worth it.

I think EE can be one of those backs but i still prefer a QB at 4.

The odds you give a rb a second contract and don't regret it is much lower for a rb than for other positions like qb or a defensive back or DE.

That's the issue.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
The odds you give a rb a second contract and don't regret it is much lower for a rb than for other positions like qb or a defensive back or DE.

That's the issue.

What stat are you using? I have a feeling the research base it is using is faulty. Consider this, if a rbs best years are in his 20s, then his 30s would be more disappointing right? That is about right, not the rule but in general. Well a db, de, QB can all last way into their 30s without losing a step.
So yeah knowing this, a RB resign stats would be more disappointing than the 2nd group. That would be bad statistics to just use that broadly especially considering Elliot would be a rookie at the age of 21 or 22 with a long way to go before he gets into his decline years even for a rb

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
What stat are you using? I have a feeling the research base it is using is faulty. Consider this, if a rbs best years are in his 20s, then his 30s would be more disappointing right? That is about right, not the rule but in general. Well a db, de, QB can all last way into their 30s without losing a step.
So yeah knowing this, a RB resign stats would be more disappointing than the 2nd group. That would be bad statistics to just use that broadly especially considering Elliot would be a rookie at the age of 21 or 22 with a long way to go before he gets into his decline years even for a rb
RBs show a steep decline historically starting during their age 27 season. They are also one of the most injury prone positions in the sport. It is less likely than other positions to live up to a top 5 billing and earn their way through a 2nd contract.