Patrick Robinson "expected to sign" Per Rapoport

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't get it. Can someone explain to me why people aren't comparing Elliot to peterson coming out of college?

From the stats I saw, everything I watched and heard about him says he will be absolutely great in the NFL.

I don't buy into all this not drafting him at 4 bit. I guarantee you right now that if he is there at #8 eagles are grabbing him and they might even trade up a few to make sure they get him, so if they think he is worth a #8 spot, then you telling me we won't draft him because of a few picks difference?

Honestly, I would draft him. Wouldn't have any regrets about it because to me he would be worth that 4 pick considering what he would bring to this team.

I also would not have any regrets about drafting a QB because of where we are in the draft.

Because Peterson was a much better athlete. Ran a faster 40 time at the combine, much higher vertical, much longer broad jump. Elliott has the production but in terms of freak of nature, he doesn't approach Peterson.

And people are jumping the gun on the Eagles. In fact, their GM today was just talking about how they might take a TB at 8 and Roseman is big on misdirection, so the fact they are talking about taking a TB at 8 would seem to indicate they are thinking something completely different.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Don't confuse me with that other ruffian. BTW: he found Ms. Busty, found a job, went to rehab and is supposedly on his way back here; I will have to vacate the premises, such as they are when my never-do-well cousin returns. So count your blessings I am still here and not that . . . mangler of the Queen Mum's English!
also, wish me luck: I am a finalist to do the Manchester Rugby matches on local BBC. Yes, well, I am among 500 finalists, but still . . .

Still though......

;-)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't get it. Can someone explain to me why people aren't comparing Elliot to peterson coming out of college?

From the stats I saw, everything I watched and heard about him says he will be absolutely great in the NFL.

I don't buy into all this not drafting him at 4 bit. I guarantee you right now that if he is there at #8 eagles are grabbing him and they might even trade up a few to make sure they get him, so if they think he is worth a #8 spot, then you telling me we won't draft him because of a few picks difference?

Honestly, I would draft him. Wouldn't have any regrets about it because to me he would be worth that 4 pick considering what he would bring to this team.

I also would not have any regrets about drafting a QB because of where we are in the draft.

Eagles thought Chip was the smartest man in the NFL walking through the door. They also thought Murray was worth 42 million.

You may be right, Zeke might be all that but using the Eagles as a litmus is probably not the best way to validate that position. JMO

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
At Rb, I would much rather take the chance on getting a guy cheaper later so you can have him 3-4 years at next to nothing and then pay him a big contract if he has earned it. RB's after 4-5 years in many cases you are ready to let go. You want your number one picks playing for you for 10 years. That is the argument against drafting a RB high.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Zeke is a good fit for us at #4 b/c of the fact he will touch the ball so much and he affects the way every defense we face has to play us. He would make the offense more potent overall, keep the D on the sideline, control TOP, and (perhaps most importantly), would take the load off Romo's shoulders and help keep him healthy.

From a total "value" perspective, it would be hard to find a player in this draft that would affect the entire team like Zeke would. I get the argument that a RB at #4 is not a good value pick-- but imo there are several ways to look at it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Please follow the conversation.
Following it just fine, thanks for asking.

The odds you give a rb a second contract and don't regret it is much lower for a rb than for other positions like qb or a defensive back or DE.

That's the issue.

Second contracts for DBs and DEs are not as nearly prevalent as you assume.

Here are the ones coming up from 2012:

Claiborne - got a prove it deal; barely has a job
Barron - signed but had to move to LB to prove his worth
Gilmore - being discussed but not definite
Kirkpatrick - on his option year

2011:

Peterson - got a fat extension
Amukamara - left for a cheap deal in Jacksonville
Jimmy Smith - signed through 2020
Ras-I Dowling - lucky to still be fourth string in the league

DEs

2012:

Bruce Irvin - left for a new contract
Coples - now on his third team; clinging to his career
Ingram - coming up in 2017, carries a $7+ charge this year
McClellin - left for a new contract
Chandler Jones - Belichick bailed on him via trade

2011:

Aldon Smith - suspended until Thanksgiving
Watt - All World
Quinn - on his second contract
Clayborn - on his second contract, but hardly a difference maker
Hayward - second contract

I won't even bother with QB.

You sitting there demanding guarantees with the draft is amusing.

But you cling to that. Have fun.

Alexander

Reaction score
Zeke is a good fit for us at #4 b/c of the fact he will touch the ball so much and he affects the way every defense we face has to play us. He would make the offense more potent overall, keep the D on the sideline, control TOP, and (perhaps most importantly), would take the load off Romo's shoulders and help keep him healthy.

From a total "value" perspective, it would be hard to find a player in this draft that would affect the entire team like Zeke would. I get the argument that a RB at #4 is not a good value pick-- but imo there are several ways to look at it.

Players are not good fits for all teams. But Dallas, if we want to replicate 2014, which seems to be the deal, I can't see how you would discount elite RB talent.

Sydla

Reaction score
Exactly. What has every one of our Super Bowl teams had? A dominant RB. Zeke would be that guy. But let's not take him. Our O-line is better with players like McFadden, Randle, and Turbin. :rolleyes:

We last won a Super Bowl 20+ years ago when the game was more ground oriented than today's NFL.

We also won a SB years ago because there was no cap and the Jones' could spend money like no one else.

In today's cap era, you will probably never be able to amass the talent and depth some of those 90s Cowboys teams did.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly. What has every one of our Super Bowl teams had? A dominant RB. Zeke would be that guy. But let's not take him. Our O-line is better with players like McFadden, Randle, and Turbin. :rolleyes:

Its been proven time and time again in this league that you don't need a great running back to win. But at the same time....I believe every team is different and every champion is different. Maybe we are the team that needs a dominant running back.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We last won a Super Bowl 20+ years ago when the game was more ground oriented than today's NFL.

The fact so many think that Elliott is the missing piece is bizarre.

If you are talking about "Romo friendly" offense or taking advantage of his prime.....how is Elliot not the answer?

How can you sell fans or this team that you want a Romo friendly team and you are in WIN NOW mode and then take a QB with your 1st pick or a DE? Or a corner?

Alexander

Reaction score
Its been proven time and time again in this league that you don't need a great running back to win. But at the same time....I believe every team is different and every champion is different. Maybe we are the team that needs a dominant running back.

That is the point.

You can't apply positions and value across all 32 teams.

A top shelf RB is going to mean more to a team that wants to run a lot versus a team like the Patriots.

Alexander

Reaction score
If you are talking about "Romo friendly" offense or taking advantage of his prime.....how is Elliot not the answer?

How can you sell fans or this team that you want a Romo friendly team and you are in WIN NOW mode and then take a QB with your 1st pick or a DE? Or a corner?

Or worse, a DB that you are not even really sure if they are a CB or a S.

perrykemp

Reaction score

We also won a SB years ago because there was no cap and the Jones' could spend money like no one else.

In today's cap era, you will probably never be able to amass the talent and depth some of those 90s Cowboys teams did.

This is clamour to recapture the "magic" of 2014.

It's an understandable thought process. I for one don't subscribe to it, however, I can see why others do.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Players are not good fits for all teams. But Dallas, if we want to replicate 2014, which seems to be the deal, I can't see how you would discount elite RB talent.

Yah-- I agree. We need to try and duplicate the success on the ground we had in '14. This offense is built around the OL. Zeke would be amazing, but I get why people would rather get a RB later in the draft that could also be productive.

Personally, I am OK with Dallas drafting Ramsey, Zeke, or Goff at 4. If they believe that Wentz is their guy, I am not really going to fuss if he is taken there. QB is so hit or miss, but I certainly wouldn't find fault with the team taking a swing at finding the next franchise QB at that spot.

Sydla

Reaction score

Pretty easy to me.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Elliott is a playmaker.. He would be a force in our system.. He would also take the pressure off of Romo, running backs translate to the NFL from college better than any other position. He's a special player who does everything well.

Alexander

Reaction score
Elliott is a playmaker.. He would be a force in our system.. He would also take the pressure off of Romo, running backs translate to the NFL from college better than any other position. He's a special player who does everything well.

I understand how RBs are fungible.

But if this player gets you a title before their rookie contract is over? Is it worth it?

I say absolutely.

All in all, a strong running game gets Romo a ring sooner than a DB. The last time that everyone wants to talk about in glowing terms, we had Carr and Moore starting at CB. Church and Wilcox at S. A collection of nobodies on the DL.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is clamour to recapture the "magic" of 2014.

It's an understandable thought process. I for one don't subscribe to it, however, I can see why others do.

The magic of 2014 was on the back of a 3rd round TB that some people here clamoring for Elliott were calling too injury prone and not good enough to be a bellcow RB.

Sydla

Reaction score
I understand how RBs are fungible.

But if this player gets you a title before their rookie contract is over? Is it worth it?

I say absolutely.

All in all, a strong running game gets Romo a ring sooner than a DB. The last time that everyone wants to talk about in glowing terms, we had Carr and Moore starting at CB. Church and Wilcox at S. A collection of nobodies on the DL.

And it was a season where everything broke right. No major injuries, a rookie OL turned into the best OG in football, etc.

People are overestimating how far a TB is going to take this team with a mediocre to bad defense.