Patrick Robinson "expected to sign" Per Rapoport

Daillest88

Reaction score
I understand how RBs are fungible.

But if this player gets you a title before their rookie contract is over? Is it worth it?

I say absolutely.

All in all, a strong running game gets Romo a ring sooner than a DB. The last time that everyone wants to talk about in glowing terms, we had Carr and Moore starting at CB. Church and Wilcox at S. A collection of nobodies on the DL.

Yup this is Romo's best shot..besides this is a deep Defense line class. Will be plenty to choose from with our 2nd and 3rd picks

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And it was a season where everything broke right. No major injuries, a rookie OL turned into the best OG in football, etc.

People are overestimating how far a TB is going to take this team with a mediocre to bad defense.

Maybe. But people are also severely overestimating how far a rookie DB or DE will take this team as constructed as well.

movaughn88

Reaction score
This is clamour to recapture the "magic" of 2014.

It's an understandable thought process. I for one don't subscribe to it, however, I can see why others do.

While I see how some might view 2014 as an aberration of a year (I think it last year was moreso), I think the reason there is a desire to rebuild that type of team is that it's the only thing that could possibly work well over the next few (of Romo's) years.

To go far in the season/playoffs you need an elite something. It certainly won't be the D anytime soon. We don't have the system/coaching experience to run a Pats-type pass-all-the-time offense. So what we do have is an elite unit, the OL, which leads to pounding the running game and play action, with a rested and athletic defense. I can't knock drafting a QB at #4 to build for 2-3 years down the line, but as we sit, we need to build around that identity with the rest of our player acquisitions. It's the only rational near term option given our current personnel and coaches.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Its been proven time and time again in this league that you don't need a great running back to win. But at the same time....I believe every team is different and every champion is different. Maybe we are the team that needs a dominant running back.

When you have a top three to five OL, it would probably serve the team well to have a dominate RB. Start a new trend and screw the pass-happy league.

movaughn88

Reaction score
Maybe. But people are also severely overestimating how far a rookie DB or DE will take this team as constructed as well.

I think Ramsey (whatever his DB role) is the only choice who a) might be worth of #4 and b) have a moderate impact in 2016.

You're certainly right that I think people are hopeful for defensive talent in this draft for us, but most of the impact will be in 2-3 years if any. Even a good rookie is never really a complete game changer, they just grab a starter role and show flashes of understanding how to play well in the league.

Alexander

Reaction score
They're also overestimating how far a defense can carry you with no QB.

That is my first avenue. I want Romo's successor now, before we start to panic, and I have no doubt it will be in the next two years.

If you must go the "instant impact" and think it is not a damn debate, and Elliott is not at the top of your wish list, there is no logic.

slick325

Reaction score
Everyone is talking about "value" but I don't think they really understand what that means.

Emmitt at 4 is worth every penny. Emmitt at 1 is worth every penny.

Any HoF RB is worth a top pick.

If EE is a Pro Bowler at 4 it is a value success.
This is clamour to recapture the "magic" of 2014.

It's an understandable thought process. I for one don't subscribe to it, however, I can see why others do.

I'm not sure it's merely a clamoring to recapture the "magic" of 2014 as much as it is Garrett's vision on how to win a championship. His championship experience in Dallas was based upon a HOF RB running behind several massive Pro Bowlers on the OL (some were interchangeable Pro Bowlers) imposing your will upon the game. They were led by a HOF QB who could pick you apart if you single covered his HOF WR or didn't give enough help on his Pro Bowl TE. All of this was predicated on being balanced but having the identity of a power running football team.

Garrett saw that philosophy succeed as a player and began to try crafting his club in that fashion by selling the Jones' on the effectiveness of this philosophy. The Jones' too saw 1st hand how things could work and work well with that formula. It is the reason they spent premium picks on the OL. 2014 showed that the philosophy still works in this pass happy League.

Romo and Dez are not Aikman and Irvin but are a ring away from being in the argument. Witten is a superior player to Novacek. The current OL has more "pedigree" than the 90's OL but less skins on the wall if you will. Garrett and the Jones family have similar ingredients in place. Murray in 2014 had the best single season any Cowboys RB ever had and that includes two HOF RB's in Dorsett and Smith. The formula works. But it all depends on if the team commits to a run identity.

Whether the Cowboys under Garrett are all in on the philosophy will play itself out by seeing what they do at the RB position. Seems to me that the plan works when either elite talent is at the RB position or the player at the position plays out of his mind that season setting team records and having an elite season. Dallas needs to draft a RB in the first 3 rounds IMO. If it is Elliott...GREAT! If they draft a QB they deem a franchise guy (Wentz or Goff)...GREAT! As long as in the 2nd or 3rd they find an elite RB to go with it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Still though......

;-)

Yes, a select group. A fortune-teller told me I would have much success in the winnowing. Funny though, chap, when I gave her an extra $5 she said i would surely win, but I try to not be so proud. Because that is the way i am. Unlike my ruffian cousin.
WILL THIS OFFSEASON NEVER END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plankton

Reaction score
And it was a season where everything broke right. No major injuries, a rookie OL turned into the best OG in football, etc.

People are overestimating how far a TB is going to take this team with a mediocre to bad defense.

You could argue that being able to shorten the game with a grinding running attack will be able to mask the mediocre to bad defense.

Very similar to 2014, in that regard.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is my first avenue. I want Romo's successor now, before we start to panic, and I have no doubt it will be in the next two years.

If you must go the "instant impact" and think it is not a damn debate, and Elliott is not at the top of your wish list, there is no logic.

That's a good point. There is no bigger instant impact than Elliott. He's plug and play, 100 plus yards in the opener ready to go.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Following it just fine, thanks for asking.

Second contracts for DBs and DEs are not as nearly prevalent as you assume.

Here are the ones coming up from 2012:

Claiborne - got a prove it deal; barely has a job
Barron - signed but had to move to LB to prove his worth
Gilmore - being discussed but not definite
Kirkpatrick - on his option year

2011:

Peterson - got a fat extension
Amukamara - left for a cheap deal in Jacksonville
Jimmy Smith - signed through 2020
Ras-I Dowling - lucky to still be fourth string in the league

DEs

2012:

Bruce Irvin - left for a new contract
Coples - now on his third team; clinging to his career
Ingram - coming up in 2017, carries a $7+ charge this year
McClellin - left for a new contract
Chandler Jones - Belichick bailed on him via trade

2011:

Aldon Smith - suspended until Thanksgiving
Watt - All World
Quinn - on his second contract
Clayborn - on his second contract, but hardly a difference maker
Hayward - second contract

I won't even bother with QB.

You sitting there demanding guarantees with the draft is amusing.

But you cling to that. Have fun.

What in the world are you talking about?

I said a second contract with a rb is more probable to be a contract you regret than it is for other positions. Because.... well because it's true. Rbs have steep decline in performance after age 27. Usually right when you give them that fancy second contract. That is assuming, obviously, that the player you pick at 4 is the type of player you'd expect.

Now guaranteeing someone being a hall of Famer was in response to a ridiculous hypothetical and my answer in kind made that obvious. The guy asked if Emmitt was worth the 4th pick in shilling for Zeke. So sure if Zeke is Emmitt let's take him. He very likely is not a and so taking a rb that high who you'll pay just as a step decline likely happens is foolish.

Apparently most everyone realized that except for you. That is why I asked you to please follow the conversation.

Hope that cleared up your utter confusion around a rather simple back and forth.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
According to the rankings, it is nearly impossible to be a significant downgrade from Carr

Anyways Robinson rated 28th out of 118 CBs

I thought it was 16th, according to someone else here.

And I assume you're using PFF rankings.

You sign this guy and waive Carr, and we'll all regret it. The film doesn't match the fandom's anecdotal hate around here.

Alexander

Reaction score
That's a good point. There is no bigger instant impact than Elliott. He's plug and play, 100 plus yards in the opener ready to go.

No, no, no.

Let's get a shined up Byron Jones. That is where it is at.

Just ask the Lion King.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players are not good fits for all teams. But Dallas, if we want to replicate 2014, which seems to be the deal, I can't see how you would discount elite RB talent.

And yet they did just that at the start of free agency. They had the chance yo get any one of several established NFL running backs and passed.

And now some are advocating not only spending more money, but using the draft capital of the #4 overall pick to do it?

The only way that could make any sense is if the quarterbacks are both gone by #4 and you're stuck there. And even then, it's not good value.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
What in the world are you talking about?

I said a second contract with a rb is more probable to be a contract you regret than it is for other positions. Because.... well because it's true. Rbs have steep decline in performance after age 27. Usually right when you give them that fancy second contract. That is assuming, obviously, that the player you pick at 4 is the type of player you'd expect.

Now guaranteeing someone being a hall of Famer was in response to a ridiculous hypothetical and my answer in kind made that obvious. The guy asked if Emmitt was worth the 4th pick in shilling for Zeke. So sure if Zeke is Emmitt let's take him. He very likely is not a and so taking a rb that high who you'll pay just as a step decline likely happens is foolish.

Apparently most everyone realized that except for you. That is why I asked you to please follow the conversation.

Hope that cleared up your utter confusion around a rather simple back and forth.
The problem with Zeke at 4 is that the rookie guarantee pays him more than we were willing to pay Lamar Miller, who has proven he can play at this level.

We all have deduced from inference that the Cowboys have a hard cap at approximately $6M a year for elite talent at RB. The guaranteed money for the #4 pick is in excess of $6M/year. Therefore, if Zeke Elliott is good, his second contract at age 25-26 will by virtue of performance and the market greatly exceed $6M/year on principle. We should not draft a guy at #4 that we feel has a reasonable shot of out-pricing our philosophy at the position after his rookie deal. It's not smart business and not smart for the football operations, either (opportunity cost of replacement).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes, a select group. A fortune-teller told me I would have much success in the winnowing. Funny though, chap, when I gave her an extra $5 she said i would surely win, but I try to not be so proud. Because that is the way i am. Unlike my ruffian cousin.
WILL THIS OFFSEASON NEVER END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine how much you could have improved your station with a C Note. You could have been President!