Pats trade Brandin Cooks to Rams

Rayman70

Reaction score
Did Belichick fleece the Rams because he convinced them that the loss of Cooks in the Super Bowl cost the Patriots the game? A first rounder? Seriously??
BB absolutely ran a train on the Rams lol...holy cow. But hey..what do we know,right? Maybe the Rams got them the next Jerry Rice. HE BETTER BE FOR WHAT THEY GAVE UP.

kskboys

Reaction score
Did Belichick fleece the Rams because he convinced them that the loss of Cooks in the Super Bowl cost the Patriots the game? A first rounder? Seriously??
Belly fleeced the Rams because he was not going to pay Cooks. So he dumped him for whatever he could get.

Make no mistake about it, Cooks is a fine player, and the Pats wanted to keep him. When they couldn't due to salary constraints, they got what they could for him.

Is he worth a 1st? Absolutely.

Edelmann is coming back, and this draft is loaded w/ smallish speed WR's. Ridley, Kirk, Cain, Burnett, Pettis, Coutee, Quadree Henderson. Loaded w/ speed. Pats also have Dorsett, the kid that INDY drafted a couple years ago, and he can fly. Maybe he can be developed.

All things considered, NE simply does not need to overpay a WR.

kskboys

Reaction score
BB absolutely ran a train on the Rams lol...holy cow. But hey..what do we know,right? Maybe the Rams got them the next Jerry Rice. HE BETTER BE FOR WHAT THEY GAVE UP.
Cooks is very good. This trade might be good for both.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Cooks is very good. This trade might be good for both.
It very well could turn out well for both. I have a feeling Cooks will not have an elite year. Todd Gurley will take away targets also.

kskboys

Reaction score
It very well could turn out well for both. I have a feeling Cooks will not have an elite year. Todd Gurley will take away targets also.
I'm of the opposite ilk. I think Cooks fits Goff's skillset exactly, and he'll explode there. And Cooks is more likely better than any WR Rams would've gotten at their pick.

And w/ Kupp and Woods already there and producing, they just needed the speed threat. Cooks is a huge upgrade over Hammy Watkins. Scary stuff.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
There are only so many balls to go around. Unlikely any of those WRs will explode. Gurley led the rams in receptions last season.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
They spent a 1st on him last year and didn't get equal value out of him. Good on them for flipping him again but the original trade wasn't that bright.

1100 yards and 7 TDs isn't equal value for a first round pick?

Looks like for their 32nd pick in 2017, they got 1100 yds, 7 TDs, and the 23rd pick in 2018.

Things like that are why the Pats are consistent contenders.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
1100 yards and 7 TDs isn't equal value for a first round pick?

Looks like for their 32nd pick in 2017, they got 1100 yds, 7 TDs, and the 23rd pick in 2018.

Things like that are why the Pats are consistent contenders.

We got Travis Frederick, an All-Pro, for (likely) his career, with the 31st pick. The Patriots got Brandin Cooks, an above average starter, for a year, with the 31st pick. And we're the idiots?

CPanther95

Reaction score
We got Travis Frederick, an All-Pro, for (likely) his career, with the 31st pick. The Patriots got Brandin Cooks, an above average starter, for a year, with the 31st pick. And we're the idiots?

Any team willing to take a Center in the first round is going to get a great player. Hard to miss at Center.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think this screams desperation by the Rams. Cooks is a good player but a 1st for him seems a bit much.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Yeah this is a lie.

1st round centers taken in the last 12 years:

2006: Nick Mangold
2009: Eric Wood
2009: Alex Mack
2010: Maurkice Pouncey
2011: Mike Pouncey
2013: Travis Frederick
2016: Ryan Kelly

Name another position with that high a percentage of All-Pros/Pro-Bowls among them.

Percentage is even higher if you remove Eric Wood who was the 2nd center taken.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yeah this is a lie.
History of Centers taken in the 1st round
2009 - Bills - Eric Wood
1940 - Bears - Bulldog Turner
1983 - Bengals - Dave Rimington
1978 - Bengals - Blair Bush
1968 - Bengals - Bob Johnson
2009 - Browns - Alex Mack
2003 - Browns - Jeff Faine
2014 - Cowboys - Travis Frederick
1979 - Cowboys - Robert Shaw
1950 - Lions - Joe Watson
1945 - Lions - Frank Szymanski
1938 - Lions - Alex Wojciechowicz
1967 - Packers - Bob Hyland
1954 - Packers - Art Hunter
1944 - Packers - Merv Pregulman
2016 - Colts - Ryan Kelly
1948 - Colts - Vaughan Mancha
1977 - Chargers - Bob Rush
1990 - Rams - Bern Brostek
1954 - Rams - Ed Beatty
2011 - Dolphins - Mike Pouncey
1999 - Pats - Damien Woody
1985 - Pats - Trevor Matich
1976 - Pats - Pete Brock
1989 - NYG - Brian Williams
2006 - NYJ - Nick Mangold
1983 - Raiders - Don Mosebar
1949 - Philly - Chuck Bednarik
2010 - Steelers - Maurkice Pouncey
1941 - Steelers - Chet Gladchuk
1937 - Steelers - Mike Basrak
1968 - SF - Forrest Blue
2005 - Seahawks - Chris Spencer

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
1st round centers taken in the last 12 years:

2006: Nick Mangold
2009: Eric Wood
2009: Alex Mack
2010: Maurkice Pouncey
2011: Mike Pouncey
2013: Travis Frederick
2016: Ryan Kelly

Name another position with that high a percentage of All-Pros/Pro-Bowls among them.

Percentage is even higher if you remove Eric Wood who was the 2nd center taken.

I was more so disagreeing that you can get a great center just by drafting a center. Centers aren't taken in the 1st round because some of them don't deserve to be 1st round picks. Even Frederick's.....Cowboys were considered to have drafted him too high. No one thought he'd be the player he is now. A perennial All Pro lineman?

CPanther95

Reaction score
I was more so disagreeing that you can get a great center just by drafting a center. Centers aren't taken in the 1st round because some of them don't deserve to be 1st round picks. Even Frederick's.....Cowboys were considered to have drafted him too high. No one thought he'd be the player he is now. A perennial All Pro lineman?

I should have clarified that you can't just randomly pick any Center. Thought that was obvious.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Patriots change and adapt. They use to live and die by the draft. Then they switched it up. Dallas is just trying to catch up.
When you're constantly picking around #30, you've got to figure out another way.

kskboys

Reaction score
I did. I loved the pick and was impressed w/ Romo for forcing it!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I think this screams desperation by the Rams. Cooks is a good player but a 1st for him seems a bit much.
A very good speed threat who has three consecutive thousand yard years and who is a proven very good player is not worth a first? Why not?