Paul Finebaum on ESPN radio today talks Lincoln Riley Dallas Cowboys future

Plankton

Reaction score
So you want I formation to run the ball 45 times a game?

I am a fan of the power run game, and being able to work the ball down the field on crossing routes in the passing game. Both Shaw and Chryst's offenses would work well in the NFL, and are well suited to the personnel already on the roster.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Yep. Kansas City is using some of Kliffs plays that Mahomes ran in Lubbock

i think you said it best "using some of Kliffs plays" they are not running it completely and watching AZ games thinking no way this system will work full time in NFL.

Reaction score
i call BS on that, Jalen's been a Heisman candidate each year he was starting w/out Riley. yes he lost out to a crazy good freshman but lets not call him junk he's been good for Alabama and won them a national championship.
He got pulled in the National Championship game for a raw freshman because he couldn't hit the broadside of an aircraft carrier. Then couldn't win his job back.

But it doesn't matter. The subject pertaining to the Cowboys is whether Riley would be a good HC in Dallas. I think he would be. I'd certainly be wiling to give him a try.

If he flames out, then he's no different than Garrett and we start over again. But sticking with this same formula after 10 years and getting nowhere needs to change.

Aven8

Reaction score
i think you said it best "using some of Kliffs plays" they are not running it completely and watching AZ games thinking no way this system will work full time in NFL.

Kliff played under Belichick at NE for a spell and took a lot of what he did, and Leach, and mixed it into his own actually.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
source.gif

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Kliff played under Belichick at NE for a spell and took a lot of what he did, and Leach, and mixed it into his own actually.

well if we are going by that then Baby Bill should have done great as a head coach, but alas he's a commentator now, same as Ryan and other assistance that flamed out.. Josh McDonalds wont leave cause he knows he cannot hack it outside of that structure. lets not say that Kliff and that offense are going to do it. it works great in Big12 gets smacked around in SEC and in NFL

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I think if Garrett doesnt get us at least the the NFCCG, this the direction we go.

I think Jerry wants to win big one more time before he passes. Before his extension, Payton was probably the top candidate as he could have gotten out of his NO deal. With him out, I think Riley becomes the top candidate
The only way a Jason Garrett coached team goes to an nfccg is to purchase tickets like you or I would.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Yes BUT can old jerrah step out of his way and not pre pick his assistant coaches and do like he did when JJ and the tuna ran the ship? That would be hard for him, it killed him when those 2 were our coaches.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s why Lincoln Riley is overrated: When OU takes the field every Saturday, Riley usually has a talent advantage he will NEVER have in the NFL. It’s a lot easier to look like a genius against Kansas and Kansas State than against the Eagles. The talent disparity in college is HUGE compared to the NFL.

I do think Riley is a good young coach. But what evidence do we have he would have success in the NFL? He never played or coached in this league. Look at Nick Saban’s Short stint in Miami. When he didn’t have a huge talent advantage, somehow his “genius” wasn’t as great. Same for Chip Kelly’s “genius”.

And why would Riley want to work for Jerry? In Norman, OK, he has a ton of freedom and recruiting for a top 5 program isn’t as hard as at some Podunk U. He’s already making huge money and is super popular in Norman. Why come to the circus here where the owner comes to every coaches meeting and tells you who you can’t discipline?

Finally, what evidence do we have Jerry is giving up on his red headed puppet? He said this summer he wanted Garrett around for 10 more years. Unless this team has a complete collapse, I can’t see Jerry making a change. I would like to see Garrett gone, but there’s no evidence he’s even on a hot seat.