Paul Richardson to the Commanders

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not at the rate things are going, no way.

There are still teams that have an even bigger WR need than Dallas does and he will be one of the younger options left.

There will not be many free agents worth anything taking "visits" all over the place. Basically now, you bring the player in, give him a physical and don't let him leave the building if you want him bad enough.

Definitely. It's the crazy part of free agency. You can tell when players are agreeing to terms before they're even allowed to sign them! Get the money before somebody comes to their senses!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just goes to show you, there are no "bargains" in free agency. If you want to play, you are going to have to be willing to pay.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go look at my list of free agent WRs and find the equivalent of Nolan Carroll that still figures to be available at the end of the week.

Yes. I think we get too caught up in the numbers when it's clearly the price of doing business. The Joneses don't want to business at these prices because of the risks involved, and I have some degree of respect for that position, but if you aren't willing to take calculated risks, you stand no chance at reward.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you honestly believe T Will is a good #2 WR?

Is that what we're saying here? No.

Or are we saying he's better than the grossly overpaid Paul Richardson? Yes. Yes we are.

Do you honestly believe being the #2 WR in Seattle’s offense with a terrible o line is the best place to put up stats?

As good as here. Wilson is a far better overall quarterback than Dak is today.

Look you’re right, there’s a decent chance Richardson won’t be worth the deal. But I’m not going to critique a team for trying to get better instead of resigning their own mediocre free agents and staying stagnant. I’ll takr the chance on Richardson every day over T Will

Why? Just because it's a different name on the jersey? The numbers over their respective careers favor Williams. All day.

dckid

Reaction score

My how the worm has turned for the WR market. No chance we get a one year flyer at WR.
We could pay the same contract and get Montcrief.
Let’s sign Pryor now if we want a low cost option.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good, deep class for WRs

I hops so, like last year was for defensive backs when we need them.

But I keep reading that there really aren't many guys that are considered "#1 guys".

I'm thinking more and more that Ridley might be the guy, if he's even there by #19. Given what receivers are getting in free agency, there's obviously more of an overall demand than I thought.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
It is a strange signing. They got Alex Smith, who is not the most exceptional deep passer to throw to a guy who's game is to take the top off a defense.

Oh well, HAIL! and all that I guess.

I believe Smith was the #1 deep passer last year

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Do you honestly believe T Will is a good #2 WR?
Do you honestly believe being the #2 WR in Seattle’s offense with a terrible o line is the best place to put up stats?

Look you’re right, there’s a decent chance Richardson won’t be worth the deal. But I’m not going to critique a team for trying to get better instead of resigning their own mediocre free agents and staying stagnant. I’ll takr the chance on Richardson every day over T Will

I think it is no accident that ALL the Cowboys regressed simultaneously. That leads me to believe it's not really an issue with the WR talent, but rather an issue with the QB. And that is a HUGE reason I am against trying to "fix" the Cowboys offense by drafting a Wide Receiver in the first two rounds of this upcoming draft. Fix the QB performance, and the WR's will go back to being what they were when Romo was taking the snaps.

Remember when Dez led all receivers in scoring and was averaging about 1300 yards per season, and Williams was catching 8 TD's per year? What changed in 2015? Oh yeah. No more Romo.

Dez's entire "drop in production" can be attributed to inferior talent at the QB spot. I like Prescott, but he needs to step it up a notch. He's not close to being a top QB yet.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Helman-
"When Terrance Williams signed his $17M deal last year, he had twice as many career yards and more than twice as man career TDs as Paul Richardson.

Free agency is so damn silly."

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder what Brice Butler thinks of deals like this one.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez's contract is looking less and less like a concern with the way this is going.

Honestly, he's got to be looking at this and just smiling. He and Zack Martin ought to go out to dinner tonight and celebrate.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score

But I keep reading that there really aren't many guys that are considered "#1 guys".

I'm thinking more and more that Ridley might be the guy, if he's even there by #19. Given what receivers are getting in free agency, there's obviously more of an overall demand than I thought.
It's insane. Some of these contracts have me reconsidering my take on Dez to be honest.
Not that he's worth 17 mil, but that there aren't any better options for the money.
Draft a WR + one more year for Dez.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I think Ridley is #1 but Sutton, Kirk, Washington, Chark, DMoore, DCain, MAteman, St Brown, Gallup, the USC kid can all help right away

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Helman-
"When Terrance Williams signed his $17M deal last year, he had twice as many career yards and more than twice as man career TDs as Paul Richardson.

Free agency is so damn silly."

giphy.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Ridley is #1 but Sutton, Kirk, Washington, Chark, DMoore, DCain, MAteman, St Brown, Gallup, the USC kid can all help right away

Just one fan's opinion, but I think there's a distinct dropoff. For me a first and second rounder dropoff.

Again, just my opinion

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I would also be in favor of trading a 4th round pick to the Browns for Corey Coleman. He's from Dallas, and went to school at Baylor. He's had some soft tissue injuries, but his base salary over the next two seasons is $3,548,863 - an average of about $1.775M per season. That is a good bargain in today's market. The Cowboys would also get a 5th year option on him for the 2020 season, which could be useful after Bryant's contract ends, and Williams' contract guarantees are over.

5th year option for Coleman currenlty is about $11M

Last edited: