Pay Claiborne

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Last year was a contract year for Mo as well.

And while his pay improved we weren't ready to commit big dollars.

I'm not saying you sign him to a Revis type conract but at some point you need to lock up players for cost certainty.

People like you want a player to prove their worth. And when they do you don't want to pay them because you think they focused on....proving their worth. It's quite twisted logic.

Performing for 5 games in his 5th season after his first 4 were terrible is proving your worth? I'd love you to be my boss. Get to perform poorly for 4 years. And because I do ok for a quarter of my 5th year, I get locked up with an extension and a pay raise. Sounds good!

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
If we can't come to an agreement, maybe they'll create the space needed to tag him. We can't go into next season with Anthony Brown & Rookie/FA as our CB's.. I agree signing Zach Martin is #1 priority, but draft should be focused on turning our front 7 on defense into what the offensive line has become.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Why? Because he has performed in the first 5 games this season and looks to be maybe his first season of 5 that he looks good? Meh. That is where we got into trouble in the past. Giving undeserved contracts. And don't ever diminish the value a contract year has on a player and their mindset.

It's been more than 5 games. 2 of his years were wasted playing zone, and that's not who he is. When playing man and healthy, he's been good.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If we can't come to an agreement, maybe they'll create the space needed to tag him. We can't go into next season with Anthony Brown & Rookie/FA as our CB's.. I agree signing Zach Martin is #1 priority, but draft should be focused on turning our front 7 on defense into what the offensive line has become.
They could always re-sign Carr at 4m per(not my choice but the team loves him)
That is also why I would bring in a guy like Benwikere

I don't know if we ask enough of our CBs to pay 10m....like what Mo is doing but in relation to his 3m it looks a lot better compared to rating him as a 1st round pick

lkelly

Reaction score
As much as I detest listening to Deion, he had a great point last night on NFL Network. He stood up and demonstrated the technique/flaw that Mo uses at the snap. He kicks his right foot forward a little bit, thus locking his right leg which impedes his ability to turn and run when playing the right side. I guess it's just a habit that he's struggled to break. Put him on the defense's left side and it works well because it allows him to turn easier. I'm guessing a switch to that side was a big help and it's a shame that it took Dallas so long to make the move (it seems to have benefited Carr as well).

Face it, this is a wonderful problem to be debating. Mo could have gotten hurt again (knock on wood) or sucked at Mike Jenkins levels and Dallas would likely have another loss or two. Considering this past offseason, a cheap deal that results in B+ or better CB play out of Mo has to be considered ideal. If he can continue that play for 4 more years in Dallas at a non-bank-breaking contract, even better. Everyone goes home happy.

If I'm his agent, though, I let him field offers from all 32 teams in the spring and take the one shot at financial security.

lostar2009

Reaction score
We had a great draft this past year, we just need to keep doing it. No need to pay guys that have had a career of nonproduction and then five good games.

Yeah but it's hard to find serviceable db's too. Not too many late round dbs work out so far. It took MO about 5 years to play to his billing. Besides him Scan is that last db that is worth playing.

Verdict

Reaction score
I sort of think that Mo will WANT to be a Cowboy and may sign to a team friendly deal. I would love to resign him but that doesn't equate to breaking the bank to get him.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Performing for 5 games in his 5th season after his first 4 were terrible is proving your worth? I'd love you to be my boss. Get to perform poorly for 4 years. And because I do ok for a quarter of my 5th year, I get locked up with an extension and a pay raise. Sounds good!

I feel as though you're quoting me but not reading my words. Last year was Claiborne's first prove it year. He played well though still had some health issues. This year he has picked up where he left off last year and has actually stepped up further. Again this is his 2nd year on a 1 year contract.

At some point you need cost certainty. Mo has to this point played well enough that we should be entertaining an extension. He won't make Revis money naturally. But he's earned a raise. You seem new to how the NFL works.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I sort of think that Mo will WANT to be a Cowboy and may sign to a team friendly deal. I would love to resign him but that doesn't equate to breaking the bank to get him.

That was always the impression I got. He is a life long fan and I don't think mentally he would do well having to trade that in. If he is smart he does an incentive based contract with some guarantees, and hires a good financial planner. He can bet on himself and his performance.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

He had a very good rookie season. Then we went to Tampa 2 and wasted two years of his play. Last year, playing man, he got off to a good start, but was slowed by injuries. This year, he looks like a stud.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I feel as though you're quoting me but not reading my words. Last year was Claiborne's first prove it year. He played well though still had some health issues. This year he has picked up where he left off last year and has actually stepped up further. Again this is his 2nd year on a 1 year contract.

At some point you need cost certainty. Mo has to this point played well enough that we should be entertaining an extension. He won't make Revis money naturally. But he's earned a raise. You seem new to how the NFL works.
It will be interesting to see how it goes....... Mo has made 20m over his 5 years so he isn't desperate but he is moving up the ladder for CBs...... does he want to stay in DAL or go for the big bucks

Verdict

Reaction score
I think he will want the bucks and will want to stay in Dallas. Maybe he will discount it a little bit to get some security now and have stability.

There are lots of teams that will overpay to get him, but not a lot of places as good as Dallas to live

visionary

Reaction score
Last year was his contract year as well.

Maybe he is just healthy and GETS IT. It's not like talent has ever been a question with him.

Suddenly 'gets it' after 5 years of dogging it when he needs to be paid :rolleyes:

Yeah, he gets it alright

Unfortunately many fans don't 'get it'

visionary

Reaction score
I think he will want the bucks and will want to stay in Dallas. Maybe he will discount it a little bit to get some security now and have stability.

There are lots of teams that will overpay to get him, but not a lot of places as good as Dallas to live

Watch Jerry pay him and then watch him 'get injured' and miss training camp

We never learn

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no problem with having Mo resigned depending the price tag. I don't think he should be paid as a top CB based on 1 season on the other hand I think his play does deserve a contract extension. It comes down to how much?

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Suddenly 'gets it' after 5 years of dogging it when he needs to be paid :rolleyes:

Yeah, he gets it alright

Unfortunately many fans don't 'get it'

When he's been allowed to play man-to-man:

1. Very good rookie season
4. Started strong, but got hurt
5. Looks like a pro-bowler

Common Sense

Reaction score
Mo has had a good year so far, but for the life of me I can't figure out how that justifies doling out a big money long-term deal to an injury-prone player who struggles with zone coverage.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Mo has had a good year so far, but for the life of me I can't figure out how that justifies doling out a big money long-term deal to an injury-prone player who struggles with zone coverage.

Injuries are an issue, but not his zone coverage. We play as much man as anyone. He's capable of playing zone - he made two nice plays in zone yesterday - but it's not his strength.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And yet again, 4 pages of people simply not thinking. Let's look at this offseason coming up.

1. Carr is gone
2. Mo is on a 1 year deal
3. Scandrick can't seem to stay healthy
4. Brown is a rookie, I don't care how his year goes, I'm not banking on him being an outside corner

So, if we decide to not bring back Carr and Mo, we are left with Scandrick and scrubs. So we look to FA. This is the expected FA list at CB

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

Out of that list, the players worth a damn

1. Trumaine Johnson
2. Stephen Gilmore
3. Dre Kirkpatrick
4. Prince Amukamara

Out of that group, 3 of those players have been just as if not MORE inconsistent than Claiborne. Kirkpatrick is considered by many to be a bust, Gilmore gets burned as much as he makes plays, and Prince is not a playermaker nor is he a shutdown corner. The best out of that bunch is Trumaine Johnson. 3 out of the 4 there will most likely be getting a contract that Claiborne will want, just guessing by how the market is right now.

What some of you are calling for here is to rid of two veteran CBs, to bring in a veteran CB from FA that haven't impressed with their teams. If not that, you want to draft a CB high and cross your fingers they don't play poorly in their first season like most CBs?

This board is far too quick to call for players to be cut or have them walk. There is absolutely no sense, if Claiborne continues to play this way, to let him walk. Try to get him for around 6-7 million a year which is a good market price and then look for another CB in FA or the draft.