Payton Wilson

rambo2

Reaction score
I’m sure our FO has said that for every 2nd rounder we’ve rolled the dice on…Id argue our hit rate has been pretty poor.
I don't give a **** about other players. I'm telling you that Wilson is worth the risk. He is so much better than other players. Anything they get out of him is gravy.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't give a **** about other players. I'm telling you that Wilson is worth the risk. He is so much better than other players. Anything they get out of him is gravy.
Jaylon was a legit top 10 prospect…and Wilson is better?

I’d strongly disagree with that take.

chicago JK

Reaction score
highlights look good. Just really tough to see a 6 year linebacker who has had knee, shoulder and concussion. That is a traffic collision position. It is one reason why I would hesitate using a high pick on a linebaker. There are certainly exceptions though.

Injuries are tricky though. There are guys who never got hurt in college who get hurt early in the pros and never pan out. While guys who are injured in college come in and play for 12 years. One unfortunate play can change the narrative.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
When you watch him and the other linebackers in the class, he is clearly the best. However, you must consider his medical history, at what point is he worth the risk?

tm1119

Reaction score
That’s fair but doesn’t change the long and lengthy injury history that comes with his resume.
Obviously neither of us know the answer and they wil/have been checked…but is there long term concern for his injuries? It’s not like it’s 1980 where an ACL surgery is a huge concern, clearly he didn’t lose any athleticism. It was also almost 6 years ago now. I don’t know the details on his shoulder surgery, but he was able to recover in an off-season and it wasn’t ongoing the next 2 years.

There are other prospects the Cowboys could gamble on in round 2, but there have been no medical red flags raised thus far for Wilson so I don’t think he fits the bill.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I know about his medicals, but I can't see him dropping to the 2nd round pick unless there's another medical issue that's kept quiet from the public.

When healthy, he's has a lot of traits that could make him a very good LB in the NFL.
Sean Lee dropped to pick #55 due to medicals.

John813

Reaction score
Sean Lee dropped to pick #55 due to medicals.

He did. I hope Wilson does fall to our pick

But Wilson's athletics are above Lee's.
4.43 vs 4.71 in the 40 will definitely get some teams interested. Ghost of Al Davis will infect some GM's mind IMO.
And it's not like Wilson purely relies on athletics over football IQ.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Jaylon was a legit top 10 prospect…and Wilson is better?

I’d strongly disagree with that take.
Wilson would probably be a top 15 pick if not for the injuries. Jaylon probably would of been a top 5 selection before his injury. However, we saw first hand that Jaylon was vastly overrated as his instincts were terrible for the position, wish we had the chance to see him pre-injury, but wouldn't of mattered if he couldn't read quickly enough.

On tape, you see how quickly Wilson reacts, he can do everything that the position requires. My biggest knock on him, he really isn't great as a stack and shedder, probably needs to get stronger, but that is nitpicking to be honest.

As we know, you can just scout a player based on his tape, you need to look into character and MEDICAL History. Question Cowboys and other teams need to ask, do they take him entirely off their board? teams who keep them on, what round is he worth the risk? He has been healthy the last 2 seasons, but he could become next Sean Lee or might be able to play healthier longer.

Dane has him as a late 3rd round prospect, I think that slotting is certainly worth the risk. Would you take a chance on a future superstar or add another Golston type of prospect?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Wilson would probably be a top 15 pick if not for the injuries. Jaylon probably would of been a top 5 selection before his injury. However, we saw first hand that Jaylon was vastly overrated as his instincts were terrible for the position, wish we had the chance to see him pre-injury, but wouldn't of mattered if he couldn't read quickly enough.

On tape, you see how quickly Wilson reacts, he can do everything that the position requires. My biggest knock on him, he really isn't great as a stack and shedder, probably needs to get stronger, but that is nitpicking to be honest.

As we know, you can just scout a player based on his tape, you need to look into character and MEDICAL History. Question Cowboys and other teams need to ask, do they take him entirely off their board? teams who keep them on, what round is he worth the risk? He has been healthy the last 2 seasons, but he could become next Sean Lee or might be able to play healthier longer.

Dane has him as a late 3rd round prospect, I think that slotting is certainly worth the risk. Would you take a chance on a future superstar or add another Golston type of prospect?
If the Cowboys actually used free agency maybe you could take a chance on Wilson in the 3rd. The problem is the Cowboys need three starters from their first 3 picks and they cannot afford to take any injury risks. Schoonmaker and Overshown both had some medical stuff going on. Look at them now. It’s to bad the Cowboys don’t use free agency. The Cowboys could draft Newton in the first to help out the Dline and maybe draft a linebacker in the 2nd. Just sad how we pigeon hole ourselves.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think he is Sean Lee.
Tremendous athlete and unreal production when healthy; faced hamstring, shoulder and ACL issues.
Shoulder and hamstring are the type of things that tend to re-occur.
If 12 games in college was too much how does 17 in the NFL look?

I'd rather take Edgerrin Cooper.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If the Cowboys actually used free agency maybe you could take a chance on Wilson in the 3rd. The problem is the Cowboys need three starters from their first 3 picks and they cannot afford to take any injury risks. Schoonmaker and Overshown both had some medical stuff going on. Look at them now. It’s to bad the Cowboys don’t use free agency. The Cowboys could draft Newton in the first to help out the Dline and maybe draft a linebacker in the 2nd. Just sad how we pigeon hole ourselves.
He has been healthy the last 2 years, but there is definitely a ton of risk taking him, but he is so good when he plays, which makes it very difficult to not take a chance on him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think he is Sean Lee.
Tremendous athlete and unreal production when healthy; faced hamstring, shoulder and ACL issues.
Shoulder and hamstring are the type of things that tend to re-occur.
If 12 games in college was too much how does 17 in the NFL look?

I'd rather take Edgerrin Cooper.
I like Cooper as well, but after those 2, think there is a big drop-off.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Yea, 3rd round is perfectly fine for me. 24
seems insane and 56 is also too risky for me especially considering our 2nd round track record.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He has been healthy the last 2 years, but there is definitely a ton of risk taking him, but he is so good when he plays, which makes it very difficult to not take a chance on him.
Well if he is as good as you say, Philadelphia will take him with one of their second round picks. The Saints just love helping the Eagles.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well if he is as good as you say, Philadelphia will take him with one of their second round picks. The Saints just love helping the Eagles.
It is very possible he goes much higher then we expect.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yea, 3rd round is perfectly fine for me. 24
seems insane and 56 is also too risky for me especially considering our 2nd round track record.
Sadly, I think 56 will either be Brooks or Wilson. Both present medical concerns. Would be more comfortable at 87, but cannot see this front office passing on both. If not for the medicals, both players would be atop of their positional groups and 1st rd prospects. You know this team loves value picks. Cannot remember 1 actually hitting, but they will continue to take the chance in the 2nd rd.