Penei Sewell

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No Brainer. Tyron's body is just about done and this is the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas. Gets a little more interesting If Justin Fields is on the board.

I'm anti keeping Dak and Zeke but if you're the Jones's and you do the conservative thing then Sewell is the move because he will make both of those guys better/

I wish I could get behind Justin Fields but all I see is a cheaper version of Dak.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm anti keeping Dak and Zeke but if you're the Jones's and you do the conservative thing then Sewell is the move because he will make both of those guys better/

I wish I could get behind Justin Fields but all I see is a cheaper version of Dak.

Fields is more athletic than Dak........faster......better arm........ all the reasons that made Dak a 4th round pick are in Fields favor. Fields is a high character, born leader too.

If we sign Dak, we gotta get rid of Zeke and Cooper to rebuild the defense....... especially if we are using a top 5 pick on the OL.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fields is more athletic than Dak........faster......better arm........ all the reasons that made Dak a 4th round pick are in Fields favor. Fields is a high character, born leader too.

If we sign Dak, we gotta get rid of Zeke and Cooper to rebuild the defense....... especially if we are using a top 5 pick on the OL.

It's the way he plays though... See guy open then throw.. No anticipation. A lot of 1 read throws.. Just locking onto 1 guy.

He faces almost no pressure.

I think he'll do good. He'll be a top10-15 QB like Dak.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the way he plays though... See guy open then throw.. No anticipation. A lot of 1 read throws.. Just locking onto 1 guy.

He faces almost no pressure.

I think he'll do good. He'll be a top10-15 QB like Dak.

Its harder to project Fields than Lawrence. But even if Fields was only a cheaper version of Dak, that gives us the chance to load up on defense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Its harder to project Fields than Lawrence. But even if Fields was only a cheaper version of Dak, that gives us the chance to load up on defense.

I just want an awesome QB and I have his upside as just being good. I don't want 10 years of good QB play. I want a difference maker. I want an awesome player at that position.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just want an awesome QB and I have his upside as just being good. I don't want 10 years of good QB play. I want a difference maker. I want an awesome player at that position.

I'm with you. Lawrence would be ideal, but its going to be hard to lose more than the Jets, Giants, and J-Ville.

cnuball21

Reaction score

This is all assuming Fields reached his potential though. He's not as safe a prospect as Lawrence. Go back and look at all the top 10 1st round QBs over the last 10-15 years and tell me how many are better than Dak?

We're playing with fire thinking we're just going to slide in a 1st round QB and he'll be as good as Dak.

phildadon86

Reaction score
But then you have to pay the guy. And you dont want that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But then you have to pay the guy. And you dont want that.

If they win a title i'd pay someone as average as Joe Flacco big money.

Or...

If they are truly elite I will pay them big money. Like unquestionably tier 1 QB.

IF you have no playoff success and you're team is trash it's foolish to pay someone like that. You gotta have an elite QB or an elite team. Paying elite QB prices makes it almost impossible to build an elite team. You'll always have shortcomings.

The goal is to win championships and I see no evidence that paying slightly above average QBs like they are elite is the way to get there.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Or...

If they are truly elite I will pay them big money. Like unquestionably tier 1 QB.

IF you have no playoff success and you're team is trash it's foolish to pay someone like that. You gotta have an elite QB or an elite team. Paying elite QB prices makes it almost impossible to build an elite team. You'll always have shortcomings.

The goal is to win championships and I see no evidence that paying slightly above average QBs like they are elite is the way to get there.
Ok. So we draft Trevor. He doesnt do well. In 5 years you are saying let him walk? And keep doing that until we get a championship and then pay him whatever he wants?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ok. So we draft Trevor. He doesnt do well. In 5 years you are saying let him walk? And keep doing that until we get a championship and then pay him whatever he wants?

Yes. I'm not scared to draft QB's and i'm not scared to give up on them very quickly.

It doesn't take long to figure out what your QB is. That's why so many win their title on their rookie deal.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Absolutely take this beast if he's on the board. I would immediately then cut Zeke & Crawford. Sewell can easily be the best RB in the game. And just to keep my best player on the field for the entire game, I slide him in to play DT and let the big dog eat. Kidding aside, dude is a freakish athlete who has a nasty streak that would make any Dad proud to say 'That's my Son!'.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Or...

Atlanta built a championship team on Ryans deal and before that year he was pretty much on Daks level

Sydla

Reaction score
you have to seriously think about Sewell. I think we get a shot at him

You do but I still have this thing sticking in my gut over how we can continue to complain about the lack of talent on defense and then once again we use a high pick on an offensive player.

The other issue is that for all the 1st round picks and money we have spent on the OL, it's really gotten us nowhere as a team. Sure, some years we have had a great OL but that was always for nothing because of the defense being mediocre to bad, mostly.

waving monkey

Reaction score
You do but I still have this thing sticking in my gut over how we can continue to complain about the lack of talent on defense and then once again we use a high pick on an offensive player.

The other issue is that for all the 1st round picks and money we have spent on the OL, it's really gotten us nowhere as a team. Sure, some years we have had a great OL but that was always for nothing because of the defense being mediocre to bad, mostly.
there is no question we have spent way more on the offensive line

cnuball21

Reaction score

True, but we can't really control what's available in the draft. It's a bad year to be picking early and needing elite DE / CB / DT type talent...as there isn't any.

I think Parsons is the kind of guy you can build a defense around and I'd be open to taking him in the top 5 if Sewell is gone and we can't trade back. If we can trade back, I think that'd be a good scenario as we could add the top CB while adding another 2nd / 4th.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I’m not sure there’s a DT that’s worthy of our first pick at least terms of where we’ll be picking (Top 8).

I’m looking at Parsons (LB) or Sewell (OT) in that range. Tyron has been breaking down the past 2-3 seasons and the issues with his neck/back are not going to vanish. La’el Collins mystery hip ailment is also a wildcard.

The early names at corner like Surtain don’t excite me as Top 10 guys.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’m not sure there’s a DT that’s worthy of our first pick at least terms of where we’ll be picking (Top 8).

I’m looking at Parsons (LB) or Sewell (OT) in that range. Tyron has been breaking down the past 2-3 seasons and the issues with his neck/back are not going to vanish. La’el Collins mystery hip ailment is also a wildcard.

I agree for the most part. Surtain intrigues me bc he’s performed so well in the SEC the last few years but I think Ed going to run in the 4.5s which if similar to DIGGs...as of now I don’t think he’s a top 10 talent. We need a CB that can run.

Sydla

Reaction score

Yeah you are kind of stuck here. I'd love for a stud DE or DT to be here but you are left with either an OT or a LB. I'd love to be able to trade back and grab a couple extra picks.