Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
As an alum, someone who walked the halls, who grew up in a Penn St family, who was raised with the Penn St spirit, who sat in Joe's house on a number of occasions and ate at the same dinner table as many of the legends at Penn St had and only knew of one program and one coach his entire life I refuse to get emotionally caught up in message board banter. As outsiders it's easy to sit here and judge and once again we prove in the US you are Guilty until proven innocent but with all that aside.

I am Penn St proud. I am a tradition, a school and a family that has thrived for 159 years. Long before Joe Pa or any other person caught up in this walked the halls. I have wept not for Joe Pa or the football program but for the University and the Children effected by this.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4235617 said:
Let' put it this way then. I know Paterno A LOT better Paterno than you know about this situation.

Is it possible he is an evil monster who got a kick out of Sandusky raping little boys? Or maybe even knowing it and not caring? Maybe. But as I said before, it would be completely out of character.

I do know the man. I know his heart and I know what he has done in secret many times that know one is to know about. So before you start assuming "What I know" maybe you should stick to what you presumably know.

sure Cajun. you know his heart.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
From New York Daily:

As far back as 1998, Sandusky was the subject of a sexual investigation by university police, but the case was closed when then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar “decided there would be no criminal charges.”

Two University police detectives - Ronald Shreffler and Ralph Ralston - eavesdropped on two conversations the mother of one of Sandusky’s victims had with Sandusky in May 1998. The mother confronted Sandusky about him showering with her son and the effect the incident had on the boy. The detectives testified that the mother asked Sandusky to promise never to shower with a boy again, but that Sandusky refused.

According to the detectives’ testimony, Sandusky told the mother after the second conversation, “I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won’t get it from you. I wish I were dead.”

That wasn't done in a closet. It's likely that plenty of people had knowledge that this guy was a raging pedophile long before 2002.

JBond

Reaction score
Stautner;4235631 said:
This an untrue statement, although a lot of people are making the same mistake you are. What Joe's words tell us is that he knows now, with the benefit of hindsight, that he should have done more, not that he knew at the time he should have done more.

Before anyone goes off on me, I'm not saying I accept what Paterno is saying, I'm just clarifying what he actually said.

If he truly believed his buddy was a super duper upstanding citizen, what more would he have done? The benefit of hindsight? What hindsight? What would he have done believing his buddy is a rock solid guy? That makes no sense. According to Joe pa and his vigorous defenders Joe Pa had no reason to act because he had no idea his friend was raping children down the hall. The only logical way to interpret his statement is that he knew something and did not do enough to stop it.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Stautner;4235608 said:
How do you prove that taking a shower in a community shower is for "sexual gratification" rather than just to get clean? You are speaking out of emotion rather than logic.
I would say that Sandusky's own words were damning. He would apologize and wish he were dead for just trying to get clean?

JBond

Reaction score
SDogo;4235643 said:
As an alum, someone who walked the halls, who grew up in a Penn St family, who was raised with the Penn St spirit, who sat in Joe's house on a number of occasions and ate at the same dinner table as many of the legends at Penn St had and only knew of one program and one coach his entire life I refuse to get emotionally caught up in message board banter. As outsiders it's easy to sit here and judge and once again we prove in the US you are Guilty until proven innocent but with all that aside.

I am Penn St proud. I am a tradition, a school and a family that has thrived for 159 years. Long before Joe Pa or any other person caught up in this walked the halls. I have wept not for Joe Pa or the football program but for the University and the Children effected by this.

Wept for the university that allowed this to go on? Good grief. Grow up.

Stautner

Reaction score
JBond;4235649 said:
If he truly believed his buddy was a super duper upstanding citizen, what more would he have done? The benefit of hindsight? What hindsight? What would he have done believing his buddy is a rock solid guy? That makes no sense. According to Joe pa and his vigorous defenders Joe Pa had no reason to act because he had no idea his friend was raping children down the hall. The only logical way to interpret his statement is that he knew something and did not do enough to stop it.

I disagree with this, and really aren't completely sure what you are talking about with some of this because whatever you assume Paterno knew at the time doesn't change what he actually said now. It may well be that many of your assumptions about what Paterno knew at the time are true, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual words Paterno used now do not indicate anything other thatn now that he looks back with the benefit of hindsight he wishes he had done more.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I never really understood why Paterno coached so long and wouldn't retire. I wonder if some skeletons in the closet (e.g. coverup of child molester on coaching staff) played a role in Paterno coaching so long.

Maybe, just maybe, Paterno thought that as long as he was coach, everything would stay covered up. If he retired, he would be in a less powerful position to control "things" like reporters asking questions and stuff.

And a possible wildcard in all of this is whatever Sandusky is telling the cops, if anything. If he is spilling the beans to try to save his pathetic ***, there might be a lot more to this story. And if there is a lot more to this story, it would not be surprising to see the cancellation of PSU football for the rest of the year and maybe longer. Football at PSU may be in some really deep doo-doo.

And what loser bowl gets to host Penn State this year? Talk about a nightmare scenario for the bowl committee. More protesters than fans at the game. PSU (and the NCAA) might be best served if PSU didn't accept a bowl invitation. Followed by letting all the current players transfer without penalty to another school if they like.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
JBond;4235651 said:
Wept for the university that allowed this to go on? Good grief. Grow up.

The University did not allow this to go on. Your agenda is clear, it's not worth my time but your grasp on the totality of the situation is skewed.

Stautner

Reaction score
Double Trouble;4235650 said:
I would say that Sandusky's own words were damning. He would apologize and wish he were dead for just trying to get clean?

First, my understanding is that the mother claimed that's what he said, not that he admitted saying it or the police heard it, and second, while those words are pretty damning for a person judging Sandusky from the outside like you and I are, they are not enough to bring criminal charges without either the boy claiming there was sexual contact, or Sandusky directly admitting it. It's the provable criminal action we are talking about, and for that you need more to go on than just assumption. I know this is an emoptional issue, but to have a rational discussioin people have to be able to understand there is a difference between their personal dislike of things and what is provable and what is criminal under the law.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
So much for Sandusky 'not being affiliated with the football program' after '98.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/08/2757252/shockey-wanting-contract-extension.html

"(Sandusky) had retired when I was there but he was still around the building. Guys were familiar with him. He was tight with (linebacker Paul) Posluszny and a couple of other guys." - Former LB'er Dan Connor

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blo...y-shocked-grand-jury-report-former-penn-state

"He was done coaching in '99, but he was still visible, he was still around" - Paul Posluszny

YR

JackWagon

Reaction score
I struggled with some questions all day yesterday. "How could joe Pa just turn a blind eye to Sandusky after the first incendent in 1998/1999 and just make him retire with a golden parachute of a job and office and keys to the facility?" ... the second question i struggled with is "Why McQuery just walked out and didnt beat the crap outta Sandusky in 2002 and call the cops?". There is a theory that explains this. Sandusky's "charity" was paying players at PSU. That explains what Sandusky had over the head of Joe pa and PSU in 1999 and got his golden parachute. That explains why McQuery who knew that Sandusky's charity was payin players couldnt goto the cops in 2002. Why McQuery went to Joe Pa instead.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
JackWagon;4235736 said:
I struggled with some questions all day yesterday. "How could joe Pa just turn a blind eye to Sandusky after the first incendent in 1998/1999 and just make him retire with a golden parachute of a job and office and keys to the facility?" ... the second question i struggled with is "Why McQuery just walked out and didnt beat the crap outta Sandusky in 2002 and call the cops?". There is a theory that explains this. Sandusky's "charity" was paying players at PSU. That explains what Sandusky had over the head of Joe pa and PSU in 1999 and got his golden parachute. That explains why McQuery who knew that Sandusky's charity was payin players couldnt goto the cops in 2002. Why McQuery went to Joe Pa instead.

Very likely and interesting theory. Now, how does McQueary still continue to be WR coach this Saturday?

JackWagon

Reaction score
ninja;4235744 said:
Very likely and interesting theory. Now, how does McQueary still continue to be WR coach this Saturday?

That i cant tell ya ... if i was the board i would have fired every single football coach on the staff and run the team myself.

JBond

Reaction score
Stautner;4235667 said:
I disagree with this, and really aren't completely sure what you are talking about with some of this because whatever you assume Paterno knew at the time doesn't change what he actually said now. It may well be that many of your assumptions about what Paterno knew at the time are true, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual words Paterno used now do not indicate anything other thatn now that he looks back with the benefit of hindsight he wishes he had done more.

Done more about what? According to him there was no issue. Everything was great. It does not make sense.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
JackWagon;4235757 said:
That i cant tell ya ... if i was the board i would have fired every single football coach on the staff and run the team myself.

I would have forfeited the season.

Sends the message that it's still all about the money.

Truth is...complimenting Paterno on the library and the charity sounds nice. But those blind supporters don't care about that stuff. Libraries get built and charities get funded by much lesser known people that are not coaches. If this happened with a Dean of the Business School...they'd skewer the guy.

It's about their love for the football program. Nothing has really been done to show support for the victims other than a few empty words. But, they have been loud and vociferous in their support for Paterno.

They just use the library and the charity to make it sound nice. Just like the empty words of 'praying for the victims' as they start doing Joe Paterno chants.

YR

JBond

Reaction score
JackWagon;4235736 said:

or some of the powerful donors Sandusky was allegedly pimping kids to had some say.

JBond

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4235771 said:
I would have forfeited the season.

Sends the message that it's still all about the money.

Truth is...complimenting Paterno on the library and the charity sounds nice. But those blind supporters don't care about that stuff. Libraries get built and charities get funded by much lesser known people that are not coaches. If this happened with a Dean of the Business School...they'd skewer the guy.

It's about their love for the football program. Nothing has really been done to show support for the victims other than a few empty words. But, they have been loud and vociferous in their support for Paterno.

They just use the library and the charity to make it sound nice. Just like the empty words of 'praying for the victims' as they start doing Joe Paterno chants.

YR

Maybe the could take some of that money and set up a trust fund for the survivors to pay for their education. It would be a small step in the right direction.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
JBond;4235773 said:
Maybe the could take some of that money and set up a trust fund for the survivors to pay for their education. It would be a small step in the right direction.

If I were a rape and torture survivor of a man that was part of a school, I wouldn't want to go to that school.

The survivors will likely get millions in the end.

YR

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4235713 said:
So much for Sandusky 'not being affiliated with the football program' after '98.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/08/2757252/shockey-wanting-contract-extension.html

"(Sandusky) had retired when I was there but he was still around the building. Guys were familiar with him. He was tight with (linebacker Paul) Posluszny and a couple of other guys." - Former LB'er Dan Connor

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blo...y-shocked-grand-jury-report-former-penn-state

"He was done coaching in '99, but he was still visible, he was still around" - Paul Posluszny
I heard Posluszny say that on ESPN radio this morning.

No matter how PSU homers spin it, Paterno knew of a serious child molestation issue with Sandusky 10 years ago, knew he was still on campus working in a program with at-risk children, and had to know that Sandusky was at PSU practices, with children.