Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

DFWJC

Reaction score
trickblue;4236832 said:
Seriously, you are embarrassing yourself... stop...

So much evidence points to Joe knowing, but YOU are the one that just knows...

Just STOP... it's embarrassing...
I've read a lot on this trick, and I've not yet come to that conclusion.

Rogah

Reaction score
2233boys;4238633 said:
Your whole premise that PSU graduates will have a hard time getting jobs because the have a degree from PSU.
OK except that's not what I said so I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth and completely misstate my position.

Please respond to the statements I actually made. Don't put words in my mouth and respond to the things you're pretending I've said.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Rogah;4238675 said:
OK except that's not what I said so I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth and completely misstate my position.

Please respond to the statements I actually made. Don't put words in my mouth and respond to the things you're pretending I've said.

Sure you did. you said all things being equal a hiring manager would say "PSU isn't a nice school, so I'll go with the other guy."

Rogah

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4238678 said:
Sure you did. you said all things being equal a hiring manager would say "PSU isn't a nice school, so I'll go with the other guy."
No that's not what I said. I never said "PSU graduates are going to have a hard time getting jobs" and I certainly never said the words you attributed to me in quotes. The fact that you are putting words I never said (especially in quotes) shows the bankrupcy of your position.

What I said was the if all other things between 2 candidates were equal, Penn State will very likely take a step back in the eyes of some when compared to other comparable schools. The only thing moronic is the notion that you can somehow speak on behalf of counteless thousands of hiring managers from coast to coast and say you represent every singe one of them and that not a single one could possibly ever feel a little less respect for PSU.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Rogah;4238675 said:

Yes you did originally. It is exactly what you said.

See your two back to back posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogah
There's no doubt about it: The university has lost a tremendous amont of prestige in the past week. A degree from Penn State isn't worth as much today as it was 5 days ago, which is a shame because 99.9% of the people at that institution are completely innocent and have nothing to do with this scandal.

When hiring managers scan resumes and they see one from someone who graduated from Penn State, they're no longer going to associate Penn State with "great school". They're going to associate Penn State with "pedophilia scandal." It may not even be a conscious thing, but the university's reputation and prestige has taking a huge hit this past week.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Rogah;4238618 said:
I'm not saying this scandal will singlehandedly make or break somone. BUt I find it entirely possible that, say for example, you have 2 candidates for a job. Let's say one got a 3.8 at Penn State, one get a 3.8 at UNC, and all other factors are relatively equal.

I could easily see that hiring manager more likely to say "well UNC is a nicer school so I'm going to go with that guy". When a hiring manager looks at your resume, you want him to say "he went to a nice school" - not "oh that's where the pedophila took place."

I am not going to say Penn State has become a laughing stock because quite honestly, no one thinks this affair is funny. But they did get a mention on the Leno monologue last night. The audience responded with groans, but it's still not a good thing.

Yes. You did say that!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Rogah;4238618 said:
I'm not saying this scandal will singlehandedly make or break somone. BUt I find it entirely possible that, say for example, you have 2 candidates for a job. Let's say one got a 3.8 at Penn State, one get a 3.8 at UNC, and all other factors are relatively equal.

I could easily see that hiring manager more likely to say "well UNC is a nicer school so I'm going to go with that guy". When a hiring manager looks at your resume, you want him to say "he went to a nice school" - not "oh that's where the pedophila took place."

I am not going to say Penn State has become a laughing stock because quite honestly, no one thinks this affair is funny. But they did get a mention on the Leno monologue last night. The audience responded with groans, but it's still not a good thing.

That is absurd, at best.

JBond

Reaction score
Rogah;4238685 said:
No that's not what I said. I never said "PSU graduates are going to have a hard time getting jobs" and I certainly never said the words you attributed to me in quotes. The fact that you are putting words I never said (especially in quotes) shows the bankrupcy of your position....

No need to poke the bear. Arguing about semantics or what was intended is silly at this point.

We know what happened. We know PSU will pay a huge penalty for what they did.

We also know who took what side when this story broke. Arguing with someone that is pissed off because someone he believed in is less than envinsioned does not serve a purpose.

Rogah

Reaction score
2233boys;4238689 said:
Yes you did originally. It is exactly what you said.

See your two back to back posts
Newsflash: saying "a degree from PSU isn't worth as much as it was last week" is not the same as saying "a degree from Penn State is worthless."

It's obvious that people in here don't have the first clue how human resources operates at large corporations where if you're applying for an entry level job, you're lucky if your resume gets 2 seconds worth of HR's attention.

You guys don't think that HR personnel are concerned with the prestige and reputation of an institution that an applicant attended? You guys don't think that hiring personnel have their own little biases and prejudices? You don't think there are any HR employees anywhere in the country who may have been a bit put off by what happened at Penn State over the past week and will, perhaps subconciously, look slightly less favorably at that institution than they did last week?

If you have some HR person who went to A&M and he's got two resumes on his desk, one from Texas, one from A&M, you don't think he's going to give an oh-so-slight advantage to the Aggie? That sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME, especially when considering entry level jobs.

Rogah

Reaction score
JBond;4238758 said:
No need to poke the bear. Arguing about semantics or what was intended is silly at this point.

We know what happened. We know PSU will pay a huge penalty for what they did.

We also know who took what side when this story broke. Arguing with someone that is pissed off because someone he believed in is less than envinsioned does not serve a purpose.
Well said. And I shall let this be the last I have to remark on this particular "employment" sidebar within the Paterno-related discussion.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Rogah;4238786 said:
Newsflash: saying "a degree from PSU isn't worth as much as it was last week" is not the same as saying "a degree from Penn State is worthless."

It's obvious that people in here don't have the first clue how human resources operates at large corporations where if you're applying for an entry level job, you're lucky if your resume gets 2 seconds worth of HR's attention.

You guys don't think that HR personnel are concerned with the prestige and reputation of an institution that an applicant attended? You guys don't think that hiring personnel have their own little biases and prejudices? You don't think there are any HR employees anywhere in the country who may have been a bit put off by what happened at Penn State over the past week and will, perhaps subconciously, look slightly less favorably at that institution than they did last week?

If you have some HR person who went to A&M and he's got two resumes on his desk, one from Texas, one from A&M, you don't think he's going to give an oh-so-slight advantage to the Aggie? That sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME, especially when considering entry level jobs.

News flash, you are wrong. Your opinion is stupid. A degree from PSU isn't going to be worth less because of what happened in the football program. What you are saying is idiotic.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Rogah;4238788 said:
Well said. And I shall let this be the last I have to remark on this particular "employment" sidebar within the Paterno-related discussion.

Because you are are wrong? Good call.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I read something today where some PSU students lost thier internships because the companies did not want to be associated with the university's scandal.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Joe Realist;4246751 said:
I read something today where some PSU students lost thier internships because the companies did not want to be associated with the university's scandal.

And recruits are having second thoughts as well.

Rogah

Reaction score
Joe Realist;4246751 said:
Sounds to me like people at Penn State are very much afraid of the same thing I said above about jobs. Go figure.

"All this rioting and child sex abuse has the university's career services center concerned that students are going to have a tough time getting internships and job opportunities, and they have issued a letter with advice on how to address the issues in an interview."

JBond

Reaction score
2233boys;4239074 said:
News flash, you are wrong. Your opinion is stupid.

While I do not agree with everything Rogah has said, your response lacks maturity.

Of course Penn State will take a hit reputation wise. Will it result in Penn State grads making less money? Maybe. They are not doing a damn thing to help themselves. Their behavior has been deplorable. Would I hold the systematic cover up of a serial child rapist against the average student? No. Will the fact that the students supported and encouraged a system that allowed this to occur cross my mind when I am comparing job applications? Yes.

JBond

Reaction score
Paterno Handed House Over to Wife for $1 Months Ago

If Joe Paterno did know that his assistant coach was accused of child sex assault and then did little to stop the alleged predator, the former Penn State head coach is a prime target for civil lawsuits, legal experts say.

The only thing is – you can’t squeeze water from a stone, and Joe Paterno may not have any assets to take in a civil suit. He handed over his $594,000 house to his wife Sue Paterno for $1 in July.

This mysterious transaction four months before the Jerry Sandusky child-sex scandal broke was part of a “multiyear estate planning program,” Paterno’s lawyer told the New York Times. But, a University of Pittsburgh law professor who specializes in elder law told the Times that there are no tax advantages in doing such a thing and he has “never heard” of a husband selling his house to his wife for $1.

“It sounds like an attempt to avoid personal liability in having assets in his wife’s name,” Lawrence A. Frolik told the Times.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-Over-to-Wife-for-1-Months-Ago-133955308.html

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
JBond;4249006 said:

This is nothing new with that house. I'm sure if you can find records that house has been sold and resold within the family for years for different reasons. Paterno told me once when I was at the house when I complimented him on it he said, "I'm not even sure it's mine. It might be my wife's or my kids because we have sold it a few times."

I thought maybe he was in financial trouble but he said it was part of his retirement program. I don't know if he was taking out mortgages or what. Also, I imagine it was his wife's brother (I think) that suggested this. He told me that he handled most of their financial affairs.