Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Rogah;4238478 said:
Yeah that's right, if you get good grades you're probably going to do well. But that doesn't change the fact that the school has lost a tremendous amount of prestige over the past week. To me, that fact is absolutely 100% undeniable. And the prestige of a school where someone got their degree is certainly a factor when someone hiring manager evaluates a candidate's resume.
Yeah. PSU is still going to outrank Podunk. But it will certainly lose a step when next to other comparable schools, such as UNC or Texas.

I'm a little surprised that my claim was met with some disagreement. To me, my statemnent is so self evidenct I honestly didn't anticipate any real disagreement. So please let me ask you what part of my claim do you think is incorrect?

1) That Penn State has lost some prestige over the past week, or
2) That the prestige of a school is an important factor when somone's resume is assessed?

Yes, prestige was lost, that's not undeniable, but I have many friends who are admissions officers for various programs nationwide, and while I have not discussed this with all of them since it is obviously a new development, the number one factor in their decision at first glance is stats (gpa, standardized testing, etc), then LOR, then interview if they make it that far. The school's reputation isn't a factor if it's from a school known for giving top-knotch educaiton, which PSU is known for.

We'll revisit this next year. I'll go ahead and look at the acceptance rates of PSU undergrads to medical, law, business, etc schools when it released next year(s) and we'll see if there's a significant drop off. Simple.

If you are right, I'll admit to it, but right now, in my opinion and own evidence-gathering, that PSU's (lost of) prestige isn't going to factor in any meaningful way.

VietCowboy

Reaction score
One thing I might add in the prestige factor is while I don't think PSU students will be unduly biased, I do think PSU itself will have a harder time recruiting.

I think it will suffer this year in recruiting top faculty, students, athletes b/c of the scandal, but I don't think the current PSU students will suffer unduly b/c of their school's prestige.

Rogah

Reaction score
VietCowboy;4238501 said:
Yes, prestige was lost, that's not undeniable, but I have many friends who are admissions officers for various programs nationwide, and while I have not discussed this with all of them since it is obviously a new development, the number one factor in their decision at first glance is stats (gpa, standardized testing, etc), then LOR, then interview if they make it that far. The school's reputation isn't a factor if it's from a school known for giving top-knotch educaiton, which PSU is known for.

We'll revisit this next year. I'll go ahead and look at the acceptance rates of PSU undergrads to medical, law, business, etc schools when it released next year(s) and we'll see if there's a significant drop off. Simple
Well, I'm not talking about admittance to other schools, I'm talking about jobs. There are thousands and thousands of hiring managers across the USA. it impossible to believe that absolutely none of them would look at this black mark on the university and the loss of a university's prestige.
VietCowboy;4238501 said:
If you are right, I'll admit to it, but right now, in my opinion and own evidence-gathering, that PSU's (lost of) prestige isn't going to factor in any meaningful way.
I don't want to put words in your mouth and I want to make sure I understand you so may I take that as you admitting that they lost prestige? It seems to me like you agree with that part of my statement.

Believe me: a university's prestige is definitely a factor for hiring managers.

Rogah

Reaction score
VietCowboy;4238507 said:
One thing I might add in the prestige factor is while I don't think PSU students will be unduly biased, I do think PSU itself will have a harder time recruiting.
Oh, I definitely agree with that. They already lost a top rercruit. This will overshadow the football program for quite some time. Every lawsuit filed, every indictment passed, every trial held. People are talking about getting Urban Meyer as a replacement but there's no way that happens. No coach worth his salt would ever wade into that morass.
VietCowboy;4238507 said:
I think it will suffer this year in recruiting top faculty, students, athletes b/c of the scandal, but I don't think the current PSU students will suffer unduly b/c of their school's prestige.
I agree they will suffer in recruiting top students and faculty, and I think those effects will last for quite some time.

Rogah

Reaction score
2233boys;4238500 said:
It is not only stupid it is idiotic. Unless the quality if education drops it won't have any effect.
What part is idiotic? The fact that PSU has lost some prestige, or the fact that a school's prestige is an important factor when that school is listed on someone's resume?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Rogah;4238533 said:
What part is idiotic? The fact that PSU has lost some prestige, or the fact that a school's prestige is an important factor when that school is listed on someone's resume?

Only a complete and utter moron would look at a candidate from Penn State differently based on this tragedy. This doesn't affect their education. What a stupid assumption.

Rogah

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4238547 said:
Only a complete and utter moron would look at a candidate from Penn State differently based on this tragedy. This doesn't affect their education. What a stupid assumption.
I'll ask you the same question I've asked everyone else who has disagreed with me. What part do you disagree with? That Penn State has lost some prestige over the past week, which will take some time to regain, or the notion that a university's prestige is an important factor when some hiring manager is looking at some 22 year old's resume?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Rogah;4238558 said:
I'll ask you the same question I've asked everyone else who has disagreed with me. What part do you disagree with? That Penn State has lost some prestige over the past week, which will take some time to regain, or the notion that a university's prestige is an important factor when some hiring manager is looking at some 22 year old's resume?

The idea that someone would look differently at a PSU grad as anyone else who had the same degree from another school.

you honestly think an employer would think "Hey this guy is qualified but he went to Penn State so he's not as good as he was 5 days ago."

That is utterly moronic.

VietCowboy

Reaction score
Rogah;4238526 said:
Well, I'm not talking about admittance to other schools, I'm talking about jobs. There are thousands and thousands of hiring managers across the USA. it impossible to believe that absolutely none of them would look at this black mark on the university and the loss of a university's prestige.
I don't want to put words in your mouth and I want to make sure I understand you so may I take that as you admitting that they lost prestige? It seems to me like you agree with that part of my statement.

Believe me: a university's prestige is definitely a factor for hiring managers.

I never said that no one would reduce an applicant's prospects based on their schooling, I mentioned specifically that I would not want to go to a place if that's the type of environment that would have that tone, conscious or not.

But again, this scandal doesn't involve the education of students. I can understand if it is a cheating scandal for example, where a ring of students or faculty was found guilty of cheating, then I can see where employers and etc can be apprehensive about applicants from that school, but I don't think this scandal will unduly affect most applicants from PSU unless they already had weaknesses in other areas of their application. In other words, I don't think going to PSU is going to make or break someone b/c of this scandal.

JBond

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4238563 said:
The idea that someone would look differently at a PSU grad as anyone else who had the same degree from another school.

you honestly think an employer would think "Hey this guy is qualified but he went to Penn State so he's not as good as he was 5 days ago."

That is utterly moronic.

I don't think the current students will be treated unfairly. I do think the school will suffer reputation wise, at least for the short term. Some top students and many top athletes will consider other options. Again this will probably short term unless the NCCA issues a death sentence or there is a lot more to the pedophile portion of the story.

One a separate note. You mentioned you had plans on talking with some sources at PSU. What was the outcome?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
JBond;4238588 said:
I don't think the current students will be treated unfairly. I do think the school will suffer reputation wise, at least for the short term. Some top students and many top athletes will consider other options. Again this will probably short term unless the NCCA issues a death sentence or there is a lot more to the pedophile portion of the story.

One a separate note. You mentioned you had plans on talking with some sources at PSU. What was the outcome?

see my last post in the other thread. post 674

Rogah

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4238563 said:

That is utterly moronic.
If you want to respectfully disagree that's fine but I think you're comments are getting a bit out of line. Especially since I've been ahead of the curve on you on this issue all along.

You ignored my question so I'll ask it again: What is so "moronic"? The notion that Penn State University has lost some prestige over the past week, or the notion that the prestige of the university on someone's resume is an important factor in hiring decisions?

Another poster who actually disagreed with me actually said a few things to back me up; i.e. top caliber students and faculty are likely to steer clear of PSU for a while.

Rogah

Reaction score
VietCowboy;4238572 said:
I never said that no one would reduce an applicant's prospects based on their schooling, I mentioned specifically that I would not want to go to a place if that's the type of environment that would have that tone, conscious or not.

But again, this scandal doesn't involve the education of students. I can understand if it is a cheating scandal for example, where a ring of students or faculty was found guilty of cheating, then I can see where employers and etc can be apprehensive about applicants from that school, but I don't think this scandal will unduly affect most applicants from PSU unless they already had weaknesses in other areas of their application. In other words, I don't think going to PSU is going to make or break someone b/c of this scandal.
I'm not saying this scandal will singlehandedly make or break somone. BUt I find it entirely possible that, say for example, you have 2 candidates for a job. Let's say one got a 3.8 at Penn State, one get a 3.8 at UNC, and all other factors are relatively equal.

I could easily see that hiring manager more likely to say "well UNC is a nicer school so I'm going to go with that guy". When a hiring manager looks at your resume, you want him to say "he went to a nice school" - not "oh that's where the pedophila took place."

I am not going to say Penn State has become a laughing stock because quite honestly, no one thinks this affair is funny. But they did get a mention on the Leno monologue last night. The audience responded with groans, but it's still not a good thing.

JBond

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4238594 said:
see my last post in the other thread. post 674

Thanks. That's got to be hard. I have had more than one person completely disappoint me. People I thought I knew and trusted.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Rogah;4238533 said:

Your whole premise that PSU graduates will have a hard time getting jobs because the have a degree from PSU. It is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. The prestige for employers has to do with the quality of education, not the current situation involving a former football coach.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Rogah;4238610 said:
If you want to respectfully disagree that's fine but I think you're comments are getting a bit out of line. Especially since I've been ahead of the curve on you on this issue all along.

You ignored my question so I'll ask it again: What is so "moronic"? The notion that Penn State University has lost some prestige over the past week, or the notion that the prestige of the university on someone's resume is an important factor in hiring decisions?

Another poster who actually disagreed with me actually said a few things to back me up; i.e. top caliber students and faculty are likely to steer clear of PSU for a while.

I responded to the notion that someone would look at a PSU degree unfavorably as being moronic. I don't feel the need to respond to different questions about whether or not the schools prestige would be hurt.
it's a non issue. those that were responsible are gone. So why would it have ANY bearing on a graduate's education? No, my comments weren't out of line. They were dead on accurate. It is a moronic idea. And even if someone did do that, then no one worth their salt would be willing to work for someone that dumb.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Rogah;4238618 said:
I'm not saying this scandal will singlehandedly make or break somone. BUt I find it entirely possible that, say for example, you have 2 candidates for a job. Let's say one got a 3.8 at Penn State, one get a 3.8 at UNC, and all other factors are relatively equal.

I could easily see that hiring manager more likely to say "well UNC is a nicer school so I'm going to go with that guy". When a hiring manager looks at your resume, you want him to say "he went to a nice school" - not "oh that's where the pedophila took place."

I am not going to say Penn State has become a laughing stock because quite honestly, no one thinks this affair is funny. But they did get a mention on the Leno monologue last night. The audience responded with groans, but it's still not a good thing.

then that hiring manager is an idiot. "It's a nicer school." LOL.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
As an aside PSU is getting out played. They look horrible. The officials are allowing a ton of contact with the PSU wr.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
2233boys;4238641 said:
As an aside PSU is getting out played. They look horrible. The officials are allowing a ton of contact with the PSU wr.

Kinda figured it would be that way today. Way too much emotion spent leading up tot he game. The officials are getting their disapproval as well.