Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4237402 said:
Just to clarify my stance again, before more of the sillier people in this thread try and tell you what i believe again:

Joe was not right at all for what he did here. No matter who he is or what he's done in the past, there is absolutely no excuse for not going to child services or a higher authority when you hear of something like this. He made a monumental error in judgement in how he dealt with this situation. He deserved and knew he needed to go as the football coach.

Having said that.. everyone involved needs to go. The fact that McQueary and Curley are still on salary with the university is disgusting to me, and as long as they are still employed i expect complete outrage from every newspaper, radio show, etc.. across the nation. Furthermore, the fact that the university is footing the bill for Curley and Schultz legal fees shows that they couldn't care less about the children who were hurt and everyone involved with this entire situation continues to handle it horribly.

Everyone from McQueary and Joe Paterno, up to the local police and even as far as the PA State Dept of Child Welfare has done nothing but a terrible job in how they handled this situation.. and all of them share a blame of allowing children to be hurt unneccesarily in maybe the worst way young children could ever be hurt. Its nothing short of one of the biggest tragedy's and one of the most disgusting lows that i've ever seen out of our already crappy society. So many people failed these children, and when it goes as high as state officials failing to do their jobs, it makes me want to vomit.

I think everybody has agreed with this.

Problem is...you have not been stating this all along. In fact, not until now.

You've tried to point to all of the good Paterno has done until now.

I have no problem accepting this point of view you posted above. But trying to make this point of view out now and then alluding to myself as one of the 'sillier people in this thread' is intellectually dishonest.

I understand that it's difficult to comprehend somebody you revere doing something so wrong. I couldn't imagine if Joe Paterno was Tom Landry in 1986.

But now what the country needs is for Penn State, Paterno, Sandusky, Curley, Spanier...etc...to tell the truth about everything they know. We don't know, but it could be possible that there's a child pimping scandal. If so, that would mean other child predators are on the loose.

We need to leave no stone unturned. Hopefully, the Penn State people, Paterno, McQueary, etc will comprehend that.

YR

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4237480 said:

I have no problem accepting this point of view you posted above. But trying to make this point of view out now and then alluding to myself as one of the 'sillier people in this thread' is intellectually dishonest.

I understand that it's difficult to comprehend somebody you revere doing something so wrong. I couldn't imagine if Joe Paterno was Tom Landry in 1986.

But now what the country needs is for Penn State, Paterno, Sandusky, Curley, Spanier...etc...to tell the truth about everything they know. We don't know, but it could be possible that there's a child pimping scandal. If so, that would mean other child predators are on the loose.

We need to leave no stone unturned. Hopefully, the Penn State people, Paterno, McQueary, etc will comprehend that.

YR

That's what I was thinking.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I will say this for Roy. He has made the comments, numerous times, that he didn't believe Joe did nearly all he could do. He's mentioned numerous times that Paterno failed in doing everything he could have and should have done.

I've seen him state that numerous times in the two threads about this subject. He hasn't defended, at all, Joe's lack of action.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4237501 said:
I will say this for Roy. He has made the comments, numerous times, that he didn't believe Joe did nearly all he could do. He's mentioned numerous times that Paterno failed in doing everything he could have and should have done.

I've seen him state that numerous times in the two threads about this subject. He hasn't defended, at all, Joe's lack of action.

He had excused and apologized for Paterno's actions. Talking about how he's done all of this good. He said that Paterno knew about 1998, but couldn't have known in 2002 that Sandusky was a serial rapist. Then changed his mind to he didn't know before 2002. Then changed it back to he knew in 1998 and clearly didn't do enough. To now...which is different from all of those. He also repeatedly questioned how we could condemn Paterno because we 'don't know the man.'

Personally, it's not that important as long as we stop apologizing for the people involved in the incident.

A lot of this reminds me what Chris Jericho said after Chris Benoit killed his child, wife and himself. Stating 'I love Chris Benoit, I hate what Chris Benoit did.'

I can understand somebody thinking that way.

YR

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4237517 said:
He had excused and apologized for Paterno's actions. Talking about how he's done all of this good. He said that Paterno knew about 1998, but couldn't have known in 2002 that Sandusky was a serial rapist. Then changed his mind to he didn't know before 2002. Then changed it back to he knew in 1998 and clearly didn't do enough. To now...which is different from all of those. He also repeatedly questioned how we could condemn Paterno because we 'don't know the man.'

Personally, it's not that important as long as we stop apologizing for the people involved in the incident.

A lot of this reminds me what Chris Jericho said after Chris Benoit killed his child, wife and himself. Stating 'I love Chris Benoit, I hate what Chris Benoit did.'

I can understand somebody thinking that way.

YR

I can certainly understand why people think that way and I don't fault those who do.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4237480 said:

YR

Actually, its what i've been saying. Go back to the beginning of the threads. I never once said Joe was in the right for anything he did or didn't do, and stated multiple times that he was wrong, there was no excuse, and he had to go, and even he knew that.

Like you said though, everything that anyone knows about this needs to come out.. now. Everyone.

If these media bums wana come out even and claim outrageous things like "Oh yea i've known for awhile, everybody has.." then i want to see them subpoenad as well and wana hear them spill it. Of course i think most of them are huge liars and just want to get their name out there, because there's no way this way known by almost everyone around every college football program in the country.

But again, everything that anyone knows needs to come out right now.. and there should be damn near riots going on until McQueary and Curley are gone. Its disgusting that they are still being payed and keeping their jobs and that Curley and Schultz legal fees are being paid by the university.

Hopefully now that its widely known and after so many being hurt.. the police and government will actually do their jobs and get to the bottom of this.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4237517 said:

YR

Again, never once excused what he did or apoligized for the man. That's more fluff. Just sick of the piling on on one man in all of this. Plenty of blame to go around. Lets just end it now. We all know what information we have right now, and what needs to be done. Everyone needs to go and this thing has to be seen through all the way until we know exactly what the extent of this thing was.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm mostly worried about the Child Pimping ring possibility at this moment.

If you watch enough TV shows on sexual predators, it's not uncommon for them to get together. Part of me thinks this isn't likely, other parts of me shudder to think of it being true or even if it's remotely true.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4237696 said:
Was Penn State still using Sandusky to recruit for them?

http://www.wyff4.com/r/29738465/detail.html

It could be a possibility. But, I can see why kids would not want to play for them or transfer. Hell, if I were a student...I would look at the possiblity of transferring.

When you think of 'NCAA rules violations', you generally think of a variety of schools. SMU, Miami, USC, etc.

When you hear the words 'pedophile scandal', your thoughts will be directed at Penn State.

YR

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4237709 said:
It could be a possibility. But, I can see why kids would not want to play for them or transfer. Hell, if I were a student...I would look at the possiblity of transferring.

When you think of 'NCAA rules violations', you generally think of a variety of schools. SMU, Miami, USC, etc.

When you hear the words 'pedophile scandal', your thoughts will be directed at Penn State.

YR

I have a family member who was told by the guidance counselor not to visit Penn State for awhile and consider options.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joe Realist;4238074 said:
I have a family member who was told by the guidance counselor not to visit Penn State for awhile and consider options.

There was an interesting quote in one of the many articles... It was from a PSU student and she said that she was concerned about having the PSU name on her resume and how it may negatively affect her.

Rogah

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4238086 said:
There was an interesting quote in one of the many articles... It was from a PSU student and she said that she was concerned about having the PSU name on her resume and how it may negatively affect her.
There's no doubt about it: The university has lost a tremendous amont of prestige in the past week. A degree from Penn State isn't worth as much today as it was 5 days ago, which is a shame because 99.9% of the people at that institution are completely innocent and have nothing to do with this scandal.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Rogah;4238122 said:
There's no doubt about it: The university has lost a tremendous amont of prestige in the past week. A degree from Penn State isn't worth as much today as it was 5 days ago, which is a shame because 99.9% of the people at that institution are completely innocent and have nothing to do with this scandal.

That's stupid! If they lose Dept of Ed money, like I think they will, then I can see the quality of education going down and that maybe being the case. Otherwise, that is a premature and stupid comment.

Rogah

Reaction score
2233boys;4238373 said:
That's stupid! If they lose Dept of Ed money, like I think they will, then I can see the quality of education going down and that maybe being the case. Otherwise, that is a premature and stupid comment.
Sorry, it's stupid but it's true. So much of an education's value comes from the prestige of the school where you got the degree. And, as the girl in the article realizes, Penn State University has lost an awful lot of prestige over the past week.

When hiring managers scan resumes and they see one from someone who graduated from Penn State, they're no longer going to associate Penn State with "great school". They're going to associate Penn State with "pedophilia scandal." It may not even be a conscious thing, but the university's reputation and prestige has taking a huge hit this past week.

Also, losing federal funds is the least of Penn State's worries right now. They are going to lose countless millions of dollars from lawsuits which will be filed in the coming months. I can easily see the total liability reaching nine figures. Not to mention I have no doubt that overall donations will sharply decrease too.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Rogah;4238384 said:
Sorry, it's stupid but it's true. So much of an education's value comes from the prestige of the school where you got the degree. And, as the girl in the article realizes, Penn State University has lost an awful lot of prestige over the past week.

When hiring managers scan resumes and they see one from someone who graduated from Penn State, they're no longer going to associate Penn State with "great school". They're going to associate Penn State with "pedophilia scandal." It may not even be a conscious thing, but the university's reputation and prestige has taking a huge hit this past week.

Also, losing federal funds is the least of Penn State's worries right now. They are going to lose countless millions of dollars from lawsuits which will be filed in the coming months. I can easily see the total liability reaching nine figures. Not to mention I have no doubt that overall donations will sharply decrease too.

I don't see it that way at all. If I was an employer, I would look on the character of my applicant, and the quality of their LOR and interview. The professors you studied under were not associated with this scandal, and I would not penalize. I think this applies for those going back to school (med, law, grad, etc), I think Admissions officers would not discount/lower the value of a degree from Penn State b/c of this scandal.

Rogah

Reaction score
VietCowboy;4238390 said:
I don't see it that way at all. If I was an employer, I would look on the character of my applicant, and the quality of their LOR and interview. The professors you studied under were not associated with this scandal, and I would not penalize. I think this applies for those going back to school (med, law, grad, etc), I think Admissions officers would not discount/lower the value of a degree from Penn State b/c of this scandal.
But I think you need to take a more real world approach to things. A hiring manager can get hundreds of resumes for a single job opening. They're not "looking at the character of the applicant." They're giving each resume about 5 seconds worth of attention before deciding whether that applicant should proceed or be denied.

Even if it's a subconcious thing, the name "Penn State University" has become significantly tainted over the past week. There has been a real and noticeable loss in prestige of the university. You want a hiring manager to look at your education and say "wow, that's a great school." Not "wow, that's where the children where raped."

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Rogah;4238425 said:
But I think you need to take a more real world approach to things. A hiring manager can get hundreds of resumes for a single job opening. They're not "looking at the character of the applicant." They're giving each resume about 5 seconds worth of attention before deciding whether that applicant should proceed or be denied.

Even if it's a subconcious thing, the name "Penn State University" has become significantly tainted over the past week. There has been a real and noticeable loss in prestige of the university. You want a hiring manager to look at your education and say "wow, that's a great school." Not "wow, that's where the children where raped."

I seriously doubt that it is subconscious. Sorry but getting a 3.8 from PSU is still impressive, and I doubt any student graduating from there with good grades will suffer in the job market. You'll likely suffer if you did not do well, but that's a given regardless.

PSU is one of the highest ranked public universities in the country, and gives a very good education, and if you discount a student from there based on this scandal, then it's likely not a work/school environment or colleagues I would want to work with.

If I was NASA or Boeing, and considered a PSU engineering student versus Podunk engineering, I would go with PSU b/c they've got a very reputable engineering program, particularly in aerospeace engineering

Rogah

Reaction score
VietCowboy;4238443 said:
I seriously doubt that it is subconscious. Sorry but getting a 3.8 from PSU is still impressive, and I doubt any student graduating from there with good grades will suffer in the job market. You'll likely suffer if you did not do well, but that's a given regardless.
Yeah that's right, if you get good grades you're probably going to do well. But that doesn't change the fact that the school has lost a tremendous amount of prestige over the past week. To me, that fact is absolutely 100% undeniable. And the prestige of a school where someone got their degree is certainly a factor when someone hiring manager evaluates a candidate's resume.
VietCowboy;4238443 said:
If I was NASA or Boeing, and considered a PSU engineering student versus Podunk engineering, I would go with PSU b/c they've got a very reputable engineering program, particularly in aerospeace engineering
Yeah. PSU is still going to outrank Podunk. But it will certainly lose a step when next to other comparable schools, such as UNC or Texas.

I'm a little surprised that my claim was met with some disagreement. To me, my statemnent is so self evidenct I honestly didn't anticipate any real disagreement. So please let me ask you what part of my claim do you think is incorrect?

1) That Penn State has lost some prestige over the past week, or
2) That the prestige of a school is an important factor when somone's resume is assessed?

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Rogah;4238384 said:

It is not only stupid it is idiotic. Unless the quality if education drops it won't have any effect.